Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-30-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanDanCrook View Post
Hello all, My name is Dan and I just recently moved to Edmonton from Ontario. I have been hunting in Ontario for many years and have the Ontario Hunter Safety Education course under my belt, and I have many friends here who keep telling me that my Ontario course transfers over to Alberta, which exempts me from having to take the Alberta course.... is this true? I went to Cabelas over a month ago to register my WIN ID and purchase a sportsfishing licence, and upon filling out the papers, it asked whether I had a hunting course from another province, and so I checked "yes" before handing the papers back into the cashier. Does this mean I can buy a whitetail hunting licence this fall, or is there still something I have to do before I can get my tags/licences?

Any advice would help an aweful lot, thanks

Dan Crook
If you checked the "yes" box, thats it! You can buy tags like the rest of us, no muss, no fuss. Don't forget to enter your draws! June 1 -june 25 at www.albertarelm.com
Old 06-30-2012, 09:38 PM

Unhappy Am I too late to hunt big game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormachek View Post
If you checked the "yes" box, thats it! You can buy tags like the rest of us, no muss, no fuss. Don't forget to enter your draws! June 1 -june 25 at www.albertarelm.com

I just got back on to this website (it is now June 30th) only to read/find out that I was supposed to apply to the draws before June 25th (which I did not manage to do). Am I completely too late to hunt whitetail for 2012, or are there general licences I can still buy to hunt this fall? In Ontario, we have specific draws for certain areas for antlerless deer and other kinds of big game that DO HAVE a deadline to apply, but we also have deer and bear licences that I can buy over the counter before and during season that are not specific and that DON'T HAVE any deadlines or lotteries. Are there any systems like this in Alberta, or am I completely **** out of luck for big game hunting this year? Please let me know if I still have any options,

thanks,

- Dan
Old 07-08-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanDanCrook View Post
I just got back on to this website (it is now June 30th) only to read/find out that I was supposed to apply to the draws before June 25th (which I did not manage to do). Am I completely too late to hunt whitetail for 2012, or are there general licences I can still buy to hunt this fall? In Ontario, we have specific draws for certain areas for antlerless deer and other kinds of big game that DO HAVE a deadline to apply, but we also have deer and bear licences that I can buy over the counter before and during season that are not specific and that DON'T HAVE any deadlines or lotteries. Are there any systems like this in Alberta, or am I completely **** out of luck for big game hunting this year? Please let me know if I still have any options,

thanks,

- Dan
There are a ton of general tags you can get without entering draws, there general whitetail (buck in most zones) supplemental antlerless whitetail (good for two does in applicable zones) general elk, black bear and more..

Go to http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...encecosts.html

and scroll down to the the cost/ combination chart to see the liscences available.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:59 PM

thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 11:41 PM

Default Online Hunter Education Certification

Brock Minton out of corpus is a bow hunter education instructor I have not made an I structure class or I would do it for you. Its not required I. Texas but is in some other states. like mentioned above it is required for the youth hunts, is his hunt through Texas Youth Hunting Program? I will also try and see what other I structure are certified to teach this course.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 PM

Default Good course for the newbie

Just finished the AHEIA online Hunter education course (passed with flying colours I may add). Have to say that I thought the course was great for someone new to hunting and does a good job exploring most aspects.

I found a couple things lacking such as a few more specifics on field techniques for big game but other than that, was a good experience overall.

Cheers to all
Old 03-16-2013, 12:26 PM

Thanks for this- great info.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:46 PM

Exclamation

Purchased the full course and manual for my son last night but when he logs in all we get is the demo course, watched the video then thats it, we can't get into the modules. Anyone know what we are doing wrong or is the site messed up? Getting pi**ed here, he really wants to get going on it.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkytopBrewster View Post
Purchased the full course and manual for my son last night but when he logs in all we get is the demo course, watched the video then thats it, we can't get into the modules. Anyone know what we are doing wrong or is the site messed up? Getting pi**ed here, he really wants to get going on it.
Give AHEIA a call. I had the same issues -- you don't happen to be using a Mac, are you? That was my problem. Once I stopped using Safari, the issues stopped. Try Chrome.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:13 AM

How much time it takes for the certification?
Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 AM

thanks for this nice post with this great information.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:46 PM

Smile Awesome

Just convinced my wife to finally take it.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:46 PM

nice
Old 07-13-2014, 06:49 PM

I know a few people that need this course.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:36 PM

Default Question about Deer Tines!

Hunter Training Question in one of the Knowledge Checks,

" Decide whether the animal being described is a mule deer, a white tail deer, both or neither."

ANTLERS HAVE A MAIN BEAM WITH TINES COMING UP FROM IT

Choices:

Mule Deer
White tail deer
Both
Neither

I answered Both and was wrong I'm so confused.... The correct answer was White Tail Deer. Why? Both have tines don't they? I'm so confused before I challenge their answer I'd like others opinions please!

Thanks

Old 05-28-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMFishing View Post
Hunter Training Question in one of the Knowledge Checks,

" Decide whether the animal being described is a mule deer, a white tail deer, both or neither."

ANTLERS HAVE A MAIN BEAM WITH TINES COMING UP FROM IT

Choices:

Mule Deer
White tail deer
Both
Neither

I answered Both and was wrong I'm so confused.... The correct answer was White Tail Deer. Why? Both have tines don't they? I'm so confused before I challenge their answer I'd like others opinions please!

Thanks

Key words here are "Main Beam". Whitetail have a main beam. Muleys fork out.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:26 AM

Very Cool
Old 01-10-2016, 12:14 AM

Default Great idea

I think the idea of having the ability to take the course and test online is a great benefit to many who might otherwise not be able , for various reasons, to go to a course in person.
I also gave a reading challenged grandson who , with some reading help, will have no problem with the online course. However he has hesitated to attend a course as he feels self conscious.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:20 PM

Hi can anyone tell me what the hunter safty course exam entails and how many questions

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbeanboy32 View Post
Hi can anyone tell me what the hunter safty course exam entails and how many questions

Just took it, has 100 questions which you have 90 minutes to complete. You need a score of 80% to pass.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:16 AM

I passed

Old 04-24-2017, 11:22 PM

Anyone take this on a Mac computer? Having a heck of a time getting it to work for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandlockedIslander View Post
Anyone take this on a Mac computer? Having a heck of a time getting it to work for her.

Same here - Often when we have issues with internet applications on the Mac, we will try using the Chrome browser instead of Safari. But if I remember correctly, my eldest son ended up just doing it on IncrediGirl's old PC laptop instead because we were having too much grief doing it on the Mac.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:00 PM

Default Took the online course

I took the online course and found it lacking. Maybe it's because I am older and had a father that took me hunting and into the wilderness. What I found that blew my mind was they spent zero time discussing the draw, WMU, licensing and application process. So at the end of it I am still confused how to navigate the system.
It was nice to do it at night at my convenience, but would have liked a person to grill on the rules, as that's where I need the help.

Just my 2 cents
Old 07-25-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayba View Post
I took the online course and found it lacking. Maybe it's because I am older and had a father that took me hunting and into the wilderness. What I found that blew my mind was they spent zero time discussing the draw, WMU, licensing and application process. So at the end of it I am still confused how to navigate the system.

It was nice to do it at night at my convenience, but would have liked a person to grill on the rules, as that's where I need the help.

Just my 2 cents

I had the same experience!

Old 10-23-2017, 09:57 AM

its up to $95 now...

Can you still avoid this by having hunter course cards and past hunting licences from other provinces?
Old 05-30-2017, 09:37 PM

Default Sweet

That is pretty awesome. I will sign my boy soon!!!
Old 02-04-2018, 09:12 PM

Anyone know how to register your son for the course? (Hunter Education Certification) I tried to create an account for him at AHEIA but I couldn't put his year of birth in because it only went to 2011 and he was born in 2015. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:35 PM
Banned

I don’t think they run the program for 2/3 year olds........

I could register my son until he was 11, the legal age to hunt is 12.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I don’t think they run the program for 2/3 year olds........

I could register my son until he was 11, the legal age to hunt is 12.
LOL OMG he was born in 2005 what a ******* I am! Gees