Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm curious how far the Oilers can go with Letestu being their second highest scorer in the post season.
I would say Letestu could go as far as maybe Pisani did in 2006????? Playoffs definitely have their unlikely hero's.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:22 AM

Since Calgary fans have nothing to do but sling mud north, they should put their energy towards supporting the Calgary Flames management team. I can just imagine Treliving going to the ownership and saying "Well we need to mortgage a bit of the future to get us a #1 goalie. Trust me this time, I know the last 6 didn't work out as planned, but it will definitely work this time."

Can you say "Deja Vu"

Only thing worst than being Calgary's GM right now is being Washington's GM.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
It's okay, I know your frustrated after that loss. It happens. I understand you feel the need to stand up for your team. It's cool. There is still more hockey to be played. Enjoy the bright sunny day. Perhaps head over to the pond and feed the ducks. I have heard it's therapeutic.
Being a flames fan I'm sure you are a book of knowledge on how to cope with losing and the best therapeutic methods to give some sort of relief.

Thanks for the advice, maybe pm bb, he seems to be taking it pretty hard.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Suspect its due to certain posts of the other teams fans.
I'm curious about which posts have hurt the Flames fans feelings? The vast majority I saw were excited for a renewed BOA and happy there were 2 Alberta teams in the playoffs again.

What I have noticed is a distinct shift from Oilers fans after the 7 -0 loss and the beating we took around here from a certain teams fans. The gloves came off and stayed off.
One team showed up to play and won games and one team tucked tail and ran home leaving their fans angry.

So be mad but be mad at the players like Johnny who held out for more money and never showed up all year and if you do have hurt feelings I'd like to refer you to the last several years of being an Oil fan on the this site and invite you to please get over yourselves.

Love the playoffs.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:17 AM

I just want to be clear, I don't have hurt feelings about anything you guys say. I hope you guys don't take anything I say to heart. It is all for fun, and I have a good laugh when I visit this thread. I have a fun sibling rivalry with my brother, who is a die hard Oilers fan, so that is where my passion comes from.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I just want to be clear, I don't have hurt feelings about anything you guys say. I hope you guys don't take anything I say to heart. It is all for fun, and I have a good laugh when I visit this thread. I have a fun sibling rivalry with my brother, who is a die hard Oilers fan, so that is where my passion comes from.
I agree, it is all in good fun and no different than the Montreal vs Boston or Rangers vs Islanders or whatever ongoing battle in sports you are involved in.

It's not like we are insulting each other firearm or hunting style preference!

Go Oil Go!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I agree, it is all in good fun and no different than the Montreal vs Boston or Rangers vs Islanders or whatever ongoing battle in sports you are involved in.

It's not like we are insulting each other firearm or hunting style preference!

Go Oil Go!
Exactly. Just because some guys cheer for the Oilers and others cheer for good teams, doesn't make the Oilers fans wrong.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Just because some guys cheer for the Oilers and others cheer for good teams, doesn't make the Oilers fans wrong.
In the frontier days you could go out a rope a grizzly for your fun. Now all we have left is to make fun of one another.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I'd agree whole heartedly. Few things are as much fun as beaking about hockey!! Especially when it's Flames and Oil fans.

All in good fun and may the best team win .... and may the Flames golf and watch
Old 05-01-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
I'd agree whole heartedly. Few things are as much fun as beaking about hockey!! Especially when it's Flames and Oil fans.

All in good fun and may the best team win .... and may the Flames golf and watch
And it may not be long before the Oilers can join the Flames on the golf course
Old 05-01-2017, 12:12 PM

The BOA is going to be something in the next few years

And by then McDavid will probably have hit puberty and should be able to grow a playoff beard.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And it may not be long before the Oilers can join the Flames on the golf course
I'm just glad they weren't in the draft lottery. As far as I'm concerned Everthing past just making the playoffs is gravy
Old 05-01-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
The BOA is going to be something in the next few years

And by then McDavid will probably have hit puberty and should be able to grow a playoff beard.
He can already grow a better one than Nuge. Poor kid looks 13.

Few things better than watching the Flames get beat in the BOA
Old 05-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Suspended User

Before game 3..

Vegas odds were

To win the cup
Pittsburgh----- 2-1
Edmonton----- 3-1

The top 2 contenders

Oilers were 7-5 odds winning thru the quacks
NOW ... the pressure is on ..and fun actually
Old 05-01-2017, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Why do the fans of the teams who did not make it as far as the Oilers have to make fun of them for losing one game?
... because allowing 13 goal's in 2 game's is funny ... and after 10 odd year's of futility you guy's might like the attention ... enjoy ...
Old 05-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is it just me or have you guys been a bit sensitive after not winning the draft lottery?
Old 05-01-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
so why do they have a draft lottery? shouldn't the last place team get first pick and the second last team get the second pick and so on. Please explain to me why they have a lottery to make many people very happy and many people very peed off.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Old 05-01-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
so why do they have a draft lottery? shouldn't the last place team get first pick and the second last team get the second pick and so on. Please explain to me why they have a lottery to make many people very happy and many people very peed off.
Tanking.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
Tanking.
and choices which lead into poor performance because of terrible management .... almost looked intentional .... We'll see how many of the Oiler top 5 picks will be around after this year ...what a waste.. ohhh did I forget Taylor Hall ...lol
Old 05-02-2017, 07:07 PM

Any body wanting to buy some tickets for the battle tomorrow night?
Old 05-02-2017, 08:39 PM

I feel the Ducks are just getting tough now with the Oil....

I see the series changing....could be wrong
Old 05-02-2017, 10:15 PM

Oilers in 6
Old 05-03-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Oilers in 6
"Oilers let in 6"

Fixed it for ya
Old 05-03-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
"Oilers let in 6"

Fixed it for ya
Haha thanks!! It sounds like you would be a perfect candidate to buy my tickets, you could have a chance to watch some REAL hockey. 😂
Old 05-03-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
and choices which lead into poor performance because of terrible management .... almost looked intentional .... We'll see how many of the Oiler top 5 picks will be around after this year ...what a waste.. ohhh did I forget Taylor Hall ...lol

Taylor Hall. Second option that year was Sequin and he has also been traded from his original team. Sequin has 40 more points so far, but Hall went from a last place team to another last place team. Actually they just won the draft lottery in New Jersey so maybe Hall is good luck.

Nugent-Hopkins. Second option that year was Landeskog and Colorado was looking hard at the deadline to trade him. Nuge should have been developed as a checking center from the get go and that is finally happening.

Yak. I will give you that one. Total flop and there was definitely better options that year.

Here's a list of other #1 flops

Alex Diagle.
Patril Stefan
Rick Dipetro

Not every #1 is a super star.

Oilers 4th # 1 pick is turning out "OK"
Old 05-03-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Haha thanks!! It sounds like you would be a perfect candidate to buy my tickets, you could have a chance to watch some REAL hockey. 😂
I wouldn't watch the Oilers and Ducks in person if you paid me. I would like to watch the Flames in that arena though. I hear the acoustics in their are amazing. I can probably hear the Flames choking while they're on the ice lol.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't watch the Oilers and Ducks in person if you paid me. I would like to watch the Flames in that arena though. I hear the acoustics in their are amazing. I can probably hear the Flames choking while they're on the ice lol.
Yup, they have done it already!!!
Old 05-03-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
so why do they have a draft lottery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
Tanking.
Would that make Kevin Lowe the Tank Commander?
Old 05-03-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Taylor Hall. Second option that year was Sequin........

Nugent-Hopkins. Second option that year was Landeskog ...........

Yak. I will give you that one. Total flop and there was definitely better options that year.
I don't think that the Oilers drafting record is all that bad. Keep in mind that drafting 18 year olds is a crap shoot and they are trying to pick the player with the best potential. It's not like the Oilers were picking players who weren't highly ranked.

I'm pretty sure that Hall was #2 with Central Scouting and the Taylor/Tyler debate went for the entire season. A person could argue that Hall has turned out to be the best player of that draft. IMO, there would be no argument that he is one of the top 5 of his draft year.

Nugent-Hopkins was #1 with Central Scouting. There was discussion that he was too slight to be an NHL player. While Nugent-Hopkins has turned into a decent NHL'r, it's not hard to find find players from his draft year who have surpassed him. Edmonton's other first rounder that year, IMO, has turned into a better selection. Arguments could be made that the best player in that draft has come out of the 2nd round. Calgary fans might argue that the top player in that draft has emerged from the 4th round.

Yakupov was #1 with Central Scouting in a weak draft year. Quite a few good defencemen came out of that draft. IMO, Yakupov should have stayed in Junior and spent a year or two in the minors. Things might have turned out differently for him if he hadn't been rushed. I see Yakupov as more of a development problem than a drafting problem.