Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Banned

the fact is that they had NO! right to go into peoples homes and take guns,who cares how they are stored,they went in took them without anything,and the worst part about it they wouldnt have been easy on them and wrap them in a towel,if you had a expensive custom bdl with high gloss wood you might have marks and scratches that were not there before,id be mad
Old 06-30-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
The sweep of residence/homes was to insure the safety of all people first and foremost. Yes people hide when scared even looters so an entire sweep MUST be carried out. Thus the closets, nooks and crannies are included. That being said guns with the potential to fall into the "bad guys" hands were identified and removed from homes. Civilians for the most part like to point fingers and lay blame BUT really never do much more than jump onto negative cancer acting conduct which is very contagious...lets all regroup, put energy into a positive focus and hope those affected by the flooding can regain their "quality of life" as it was prior to the flooding.
#1 What looters?
#2 How were said looters going to back the truck up and fill their boots with these "hundreds" of guns and drive right on past the Fort Knox style road blocks?
#3 This is Alberta, not Columbia or Egypt. Those guns could have sat there for another 2 weeks and there's 99.9% chance that NOTHING WOULD HAVE HAPPEND. You seem to be part of the 0.01% crowd that says "if there is a chance, even the smallest chance of something remotely bad happening, please trample on my rights and do as you please, officer"
#4 These people just survived the worst flood in Alberta history and if you think for one second that some empty guns are the biggest threat to them and their clean up effort you are a special kind of person.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack88 View Post
#1 What looters?
#2 How were said looters going to back the truck up and fill their boots with these "hundreds" of guns and drive right on past the Fort Knox style road blocks?
#3 This is Alberta, not Columbia or Egypt. Those guns could have sat there for another 2 weeks and there's 99.9% chance that NOTHING WOULD HAVE HAPPEND. You seem to be part of the 0.01% crowd that says "if there is a chance, even the smallest chance of something remotely bad happening, please trample on my rights and do as you please, officer"
Yes.
Just like they sit there in thousands of homes... in occupied towns every year when folks go on vacation.
Just like they sit there all day... every day...in millions of homes... when people go to work.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 AM

Bingo^^^Correct statement

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 06-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Banned

The Royal Canadian Mounted Thugs......In competition for The most despised organization award..... since the Nazi Gestapo won this after WWII, I'm ashamed to have these *****s in Canada.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:43 AM

Is there an exact number of how many they took?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-30-2013, 11:50 AM

Time to leave this thread...
the glare off all the red serge is hurting my eyes!
Old 06-30-2013, 01:01 PM

Default spinnnnnnnn

I see the spin docs are working overtime on this thread.

Does that position pay double time on stat holidays?

..... spin spin spin ..... I'm getting dizzy

Anyone with some grey matter smells something rotten here.

However with ever finding out what the true intentions were. Plenty of secrets to keep....
Old 06-30-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
Catching up on reading this thread, I got a cold chill!!

I've figured out the scheme behind this illogical act...

Visualize this future press release:

rcmp ( " ") release to press sources...

IN TIMES OF DIRE NATIONAL EMERGENCY SUCH AS THE HIGH RIVER FLOOD, WE DEEM IT IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE PUBLIC AND GUN OWNERS TO COLLECT & SAFELY STORE ALL FIREARMS.

HOWEVER, SINCE THE LONG GUN REGISTRY HAS BEEN DISMANTLED AGAINST OUR SPECIFIC WISHES, WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DISTRIBUTE THESE FIREARMS BACK TO THEIR OWNERS.

What do you think of that, or am I being too critical of a fine, law abiding upstanding institution?

Slip over to the thread about Trying to get your guns back.

Then join me in a round of I TOLD YOU SO I TOLD YOU SO!

Maybe next time you'll heed the ramblings of ol Swede!
Old 06-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
That being said guns with the potential to fall into the "bad guys" hands were identified and removed from homes.

Fort Knox has been broken into how many times? Bank vaults have been broken into how many times?

Nothing is 100% secure.

Your argument could justify confiscating ALL firearms, no matter how secure.

You do realize that don't you?

If you had said, we identified and removed those firearms that were not properly secured under the legislation. I could understand.

But that is not what you are saying and that concerns me.

Let us be honest here. Criminals have taken guns right out of the hands of Police officers. Perhaps not often, but it has happened.
Criminals have taken guns from properly secured firearms outlets.

The issue is, was it likely that those guns would have wound up in the hands of criminals. If so the action taken may have been justified.

If it was unlikely that they would wind up in the hands of criminals and if they were legally secured, then there was no justification was there?

Can someone explain to me why the RCMP are not saying that there was reason to believe that those guns WOULD wind up in the hands of criminals?

I have not heard that. What I hear is how the RCMP was:

a: trying to prevent the loss of expensive property.
b: trying to prevent accidental shootings
c: searching for survivors and expensive firearms. But nothing else.

Kinda odd don't you think. Had they found a $2,000,000.00 diamond ring, would it have been removed to safe storage?

How about a $10,000.00 Ruby pendent?

Were $100.00 guns removed?

Was the EXPLOSIVE ammunition removed, for public safety?

We all understand that it was an emergency situation. The Police didn't have time to search for, much less deal with expensive private property like diamond rings or rare antiques.

So I'm wondering, how many $100.00 guns were taken and was it first determined whether or not they were even operative? (public safety)

It is not the mandate of the RCMP or any police force to secure each and every piece of personal property in a disaster situation. The best they can do, and all we ask them to do is secure the town perimeter to the best of their ability.

We know nothing is 100% secure and we don't expect the RCMP to prevent all crime. We only ask them to be honest with us and to focus their efforts on criminals not on law abiding citizens.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-30-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Yes.
Just like they sit there in thousands of homes... in occupied towns every year when folks go on vacation.
Just like they sit there all day... every day...in millions of homes... when people go to work.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Fort Knox has been broken into how many times?
0 times.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:03 PM

Usually I am one to stand behind many police decisions......but this situation is really really not going to do much in my opinion of them moving forward....quite disappointing to say the least.

LC
Old 06-30-2013, 03:08 PM

Call me crazy but as one of the callers in the talk show on 770 alleviated to, this is really looking like it may have been an attempted exercise on how the RCMP and the Armed Forces would perform in a martial law situation. The wrench in the plan is they didn't think the public would react this way us being canucks and all. For the most part, on a whole, Canadians do not like confrontation and usually go with the flow. My nephew is currently in the Armed Forces taking some specialized training in Ontario and he and the group he's with are totally pi$$ed that this happened and the forces were drug into it. In the past I have questioned why I didn't pursue a career in the RCMP as I had a golden opportunity, but in hindsight I'm glad I took the path I chose. I would not want to be associated with a group of LEO's that trample the rights of the citizens they are supposed to be protecting......
Old 06-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidspace View Post
0 times.

I believe you will find that it was broken into once.
In 1942.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-30-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

Let us be honest here. Criminals have taken guns right out of the hands of Police officers. Perhaps not often, but it has happened.s.
Happened right here in Whitecourt back in February
Old 06-30-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead7 View Post

. . . and the worst part about it they wouldnt have been easy on them and wrap them in a towel,if you had a expensive custom bdl with high gloss wood you might have marks and scratches that were not there before,id be mad
X2
As I mentioned today on another thread, most of the firearms 'collected' by the RCMP were probably damaged in transit (thrown in the bottom of the boat, etc.).

Anyone thinking that the RCMP treated those firearms with any sort of care and attention, is dreaming in technicolor.

Mac
Old 06-30-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyStrike View Post
I see the spin docs are working overtime on this thread.

Does that position pay double time on stat holidays?

..... spin spin spin ..... I'm getting dizzy

Anyone with some grey matter smells something rotten here.

However with ever finding out what the true intentions were. Plenty of secrets to keep....
I think some posters here should reveal their rank and badge number!
Old 06-30-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw'd View Post
Call me crazy but as one of the callers in the talk show on 770 alleviated to, this is really looking like it may have been an attempted exercise on how the RCMP and the Armed Forces would perform in a martial law situation. The wrench in the plan is they didn't think the public would react this way us being canucks and all. For the most part, on a whole, Canadians do not like confrontation and usually go with the flow. My nephew is currently in the Armed Forces taking some specialized training in Ontario and he and the group he's with are totally pi$$ed that this happened and the forces were drug into it. In the past I have questioned why I didn't pursue a career in the RCMP as I had a golden opportunity, but in hindsight I'm glad I took the path I chose. I would not want to be associated with a group of LEO's that trample the rights of the citizens they are supposed to be protecting......
100% agree.
Armed Forces were designed to fight with foreign aggressor not citizens
To fight with citizens-police prerogative (Forces should have the right to refuse)
Old 06-30-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
If my house was breached I would complain about every scratch on my returned firearms and immediately ask where the other 4 missing ones are. I definitely at least had a .50BMG with $5000 worth of optics and a few others missing. "Oh you guys didn't remove that after breaking into my house? Well then when you left it unsecured someone else stole it."
*like*
Old 06-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
X2
As I mentioned today on another thread, most of the firearms 'collected' by the RCMP were probably damaged in transit (thrown in the bottom of the boat, etc.).

Anyone thinking that the RCMP treated those firearms with any sort of care and attention, is dreaming in technicolor.

Mac
Yup, I would suggest anyone going to pick up their firearms, secure a lawyer for legal advice BEFORE going to pick up your firearm(s). Preferably one with firearm law experience...and a bone to pick.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:48 PM

From today's CTV News article:

Quote:
"The move to take the weapons was condemned by the Prime Minister's Office, who said the Mounties should focus on more important tasks such as protecting lives and private property."
Quote:
"Darryl Davies, a Carleton University criminology professor, considered the condemnation from the Prime Minister's Office to be highly inappropriate.
"It's completely and utterly inappropriate for the PMO to issue operational instructions to the RCMP," Davies said Sunday."
I seldom say it, but good on the PMO! As for the criminology prof, who does he suggest issue "operational instructions?" The instructions that the RCMP gave, were what was inappropriate. Somebody has to point that out.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 06-30-2013, 06:04 PM

Pretty sure the biggest threat to the guns was water damage & not getting into the hands of the organized crime or criminals. Wait a second, I'm pretty sure the biggest threat to the guns is the RCMP! Good thing the Big Buffalo Taxi service was smart enough to breach homes, leave them open, & steal property in the good of "public safety". This goes to show you the mentality of the RCMP. If I was one of the home owners that had this happen to I would be trying to organize a class action law suit to get compensated for any damage to my house, missing firearms, damaged firearms, and resulting damage/inconvenience because of the break in. Pretty sure with the number of people that this happened to something will come out of it.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Gone Hunting

DO you think it will help if someone gets busted for b/e and claims he only took the stuff for safety reasons and for safe keeping?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidspace View Post
0 times.
I seen Ft knox broken into in a movie once.....
Old 06-30-2013, 09:18 PM

For anyone that has an issue with what has happened, I urge you all to actually take some action, by writing your MP, and the PM. Venting on the forum, may make you feel better, but it won't help to prevent this situation from happening again in the future. I don't even live in or near High River, but as a concerned firearms owner, I have written my MP, as well as the PM, and expressed my concern for what has gone on in High River. If you do nothing but vent on the forum, the odds of this happening again and again, in other locations, is quite likely.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:26 PM

Wish that Dave Tomlinson were still around.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Wish that Dave Tomlinson were still around.
I support you in that.
Now I will tell you that...o my gosh can Imagine how many stones would thrown at me...
I don't know my MP!??
But I and ,probably,many others would sign collective letter or petition.
My best regards!
And forgive me for low political activity.
P.S.Sorry this reply meant to be for previous post by Elkhunter11(hopefully -11is not his age.)
As usually, I send them from cell(phone)

Last edited by sailor; 06-30-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:46 PM

Default !here here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw'd View Post
Very well written statement /// Thank U for speaking up.

I truly hope all Canadians see what has happened in High River and speak their mind.
Some however may keep quiet for fear of retribution ... I have a good friend who is EX rcmp, and very upset by these goings on and he sees the organization as broken beyond repair, needing a complete rebuild from the ground up. The rcmp didn't get this way overnite ..Its been 20+ years on the downslide.

He may be right...
Old 06-30-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I support you in that.
Now I will tell you that...o my gosh can Imagine how many stones would thrown at me...
I don't know my MP!??
But I and ,probably,many others would sign collective letter or petition.
My best regards!
And forgive me for low political activity.
It doesn't take much effort to find out who your MP is.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParli...Period=current

But if you can't be bothered to take any initiative to try and change things, then just get used to the fact, that change isn't likely to happen. But seeing as how you posted yesterday, that you were just a drunk guy, I am not expecting much from you.

Quote:
Serious about what?
I didn't state anything.
Just recommendations.
And questions.
Just drunk guy.
Happy?