Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-26-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Had another guy come int the other day looking for a 1000yd package for hunting and target shooting, but wanted to keep his budget under $500 including opticks.
Daily.

"Best of the West" and Long Range Pursuit has created a constant parade of people looking to get into the "long range game"....

"I want the best long range gun."

K, how far are you looking to shoot?

"700-1000 yards."

What are you thinking for cartridge?

"What do you have in 338 Ultra Mag? What about 338 Lap.... lap-wa? Hey, can I see a 338 Lap-wa?"

(Customer fondles cartridge, whistles at how big it is)

"How much?"

$120 to $170 a box.

(customer's eyes bug out a bit.... puts cartridge slowly back into the box and closes it)

"What about a 243?"......

(customer leaves a) without buying anything, or b) Savage Axis package in 30-06 for $369 and only buys one box of Federal blue box 180's because "you bore sighted it, right?")
Old 11-26-2015, 07:22 AM

^^^

LOL....pretty much bang on right there.

LC
Old 11-26-2015, 12:38 PM

discussions about how far the shot is always come up. Looking at deer pics with an associates friend, picture is a nice buck 160 class any ways more on that part but he indicated it was "a loooonnnng shot bout 750 yards cuz Im shooting the 7mmSTW best calibre ever" blah blah blah I can hardly contain myself. I asked how much holdover did you give him? None he replies I just hold right on him, thats how flat the STW shoots. I scoffed what are you zeroed in for? 200 yards he replies, so I handed him a reloading manual and we looked. He was at a loss, obviouly the book is wrong he says LMAO.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:00 PM

I asked if they had any Speer .366 200 gr. bullets
No such rife bullets do you mean 9mm pistol bullets?
For a 9.3x62 rifle
I've never heard of that and I've been working here a long time you must be mistaken you're thinking of 35 caliber or 338
Ya I'll go home and check

Why bother?
Old 12-07-2015, 04:08 PM

Funniest thing I have heard at a gun counter.
"Do you have any Reloader 15?"
Old 12-07-2015, 04:12 PM

How much recoil does a 17hmr have?

Alba gu brath!
Old 12-07-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Funniest thing I have heard at a gun counter.
"Do you have any Reloader 15?"

X-reload actually had some in stock last week.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
X-reload actually had some in stock last week.
I tried to buy 2 but could only get one ... the last one
Old 12-07-2015, 05:32 PM

Default Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
I saw a guy BEHIND an archery counter in a small town do this with a new bow that come out that advertised 99% letoff... He drew the empty bow with a release and then very carefully pointed bow at floor LET GO OF THE RISER and the weight of the bow held it drawn... I saw this and before I could say Holy S he must have twiched and the bow fired and launch itself from his release and hit the ceiling.... I never saw a bow shoot itself before....! There was no visible damage and beck on the sale hook it went!... that shop is now out of business.

I saw a person in an archer counter tie a d-loop onto a recurve so a guy could shoot it with a release!....

I have seen so much wrong stuff at the paper tune rack it is funny:

Guys trying to tune arrows that are totally under or over spined but insist that they are the right arrows and they save $30 on ebay buy buying them.

Guys moving their rest all around when it is their torquing of the bow causing the issue but they are bound and determined it is a "bow" issue.

Guys who move paper tune rack to 18 yards and shoot through it... Your system is really out of whgack if it is giving a bad tear there... or they leave it where the tip of arrow is striking butt before arrow is completely through paper and adjust for that tear!...

When I see guys comparing releases to see whose trigger is the hairiest!...

TOO MUCH INSANITY!...

the one that really gets me is in an archery shop where you see someone pick up a bow and go to draw it and you automatically remind them not to dry fire it and they give you a dirty look and tell you that they already know that... I get tired of explaining that i don't know them form Adam and that I can't tell who has experience and knows this rule and who does not... that I am just cautious because many people who do not know dry fire the bow....

Now I see so many shops who cable tie their bows and have demo bows behind the counter so that they can be shot under supervision...and then people come in and complain because they cannot feel the draw cycle... I said why feel how it draws when it is only part of the story... come try the bow!...

What really gets me is when bow hunters see someone shooting an Olympic style recurve and are amazed at how accurate they are with such "archaic equipment" Not realising the riser on an Olympic style bow probably costs more than their complete setup.

I also have seen this when i was coaching an archer on olympic style recurve and a trad shooter comes over and tells them to anchor with their finger in corner of their mouth....and that they don't need all the fancy stuff on their bow (stabilizer, sight etc.)

Or when a trad shooter bugs me about using my "training wheels" i explain that they are not wheels they are eccentrics.... and at least mine are on the bow not just shooting it!...

People coming up with a string that has 4 strands intact wondering if it will get them through hunting season!... I usually answer yes if they use a rifle!...

Or they guy with a $3500 bow setup shooting the cheapest arrows he can find on the internet

I couldn't resist, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a "D" loop and a release on a recurve. It's not common but I know a couple of guys with arthritis who do just fine with them. I think you might be one of "those guys behind the counter" we're all talking about
Old 12-07-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dropper View Post
discussions about how far the shot is always come up. Looking at deer pics with an associates friend, picture is a nice buck 160 class any ways more on that part but he indicated it was "a loooonnnng shot bout 750 yards cuz Im shooting the 7mmSTW best calibre ever" blah blah blah I can hardly contain myself. I asked how much holdover did you give him? None he replies I just hold right on him, thats how flat the STW shoots. I scoffed what are you zeroed in for? 200 yards he replies, so I handed him a reloading manual and we looked. He was at a loss, obviouly the book is wrong he says LMAO.
If you really know about the ballistics of the 7 STW you would know that they don't reach full speed until about 200 yards out, or so I've been told.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
If you really know about the ballistics of the 7 STW you would know that they don't reach full speed until about 200 yards out, or so I've been told.
Now that if funny **** right there! This thread is always good for a laugh!
Coyote fur - plentiful, renewable, biodegradable, organic, natural, gluten-free, sustainable, free of pesticides, herbicides, antibiotics and steroids, does not need pipelines for transport, supports first Nation trappers, produced in Canada, keeps you warm and looks great.
Down-side: may contain lead.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
That sounds like the idiot warden on North Woods Law talking about arrows.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:11 PM

Do you have Haagen Daaz powder in stock? And seeing a scope welded on are 2 good ones from a buddy of mine.

I was working at BPS and a guy told me he had shot rabbits at half a mile with his dad's open sighted 303. When I asked about the elevation adjustment he said about 2-2 1/2 feet.

I know of a guy that claims his gun, a 4x4 Mossberg in /06 is good at 500 yards since it is zeroed at 100. I quote ..."Everyone that knows even a little about guns and bullets knows that this is true. The bullet starts by going up and then it falls back down within a few feet of 500 yards." No guff!

Same fool also stated that his 180 grain blue box ammo was faster then my 7 Rem Mag ammo. I was curious so I asked him how so. He said that his stuff is doing 3600 fps.

Here's the real kicker. This guy is an up and coming writer in outdoor magazines. His stuff is painful to read and is all rehashed stuff that has been written for years. Somehow the guy has won awards and folks lick his boots for some reason.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Do you have Haagen Daaz powder in stock? And seeing a scope welded on are 2 good ones from a buddy of mine.

I was working at BPS and a guy told me he had shot rabbits at half a mile with his dad's open sighted 303. When I asked about the elevation adjustment he said about 2-2 1/2 feet.

I know of a guy that claims his gun, a 4x4 Mossberg in /06 is good at 500 yards since it is zeroed at 100. I quote ..."Everyone that knows even a little about guns and bullets knows that this is true. The bullet starts by going up and then it falls back down within a few feet of 500 yards." No guff!

Same fool also stated that his 180 grain blue box ammo was faster then my 7 Rem Mag ammo. I was curious so I asked him how so. He said that his stuff is doing 3600 fps.

Here's the real kicker. This guy is an up and coming writer in outdoor magazines. His stuff is painful to read and is all rehashed stuff that has been written for years. Somehow the guy has won awards and folks lick his boots for some reason.
Easy enough explanation, his favourite color is potatoe.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:59 PM

I need to get something off my chest.
I was at Cabelas last week looking for a new coyote gun. The guy behind the counter was incredibly friendly and helpful. I mentioned that I wasn't sure if my current .243 was the right gun for dogs and so we started discussing the merits of different calibers. He asked me what my grouping was like at 100 yards with my .243 and I misspoke and said I was able to cloverleaf 3 rounds. LET ME MAKE IT PERFECTLY CLEAR - I DO NOT SHOOT THAT WELL but for some reason I had that sentence in my head (probably because we were discussing a buddy of mine that is that good) and it fell out of my mouth like verbal diarrhea.
Before I could correct myself he had moved on and was praising my marksmanship. At this point I panicked and figured it was too late to correct myself - so I just owned it. Lol, I tried to down play it by explaining that there had to be no wind, I needed to be in a prone position and had to skip the coffee and Copenhagen in order to be able to do this. I felt so dirty with myself that I had to leave the store as soon as I could.
I've tried to reason with myself and justify it with the fact that I just misspoke but I'm still worried that I'm going to show up on this thread as one of "those guys".

Ahhh. It feels good to get that off my chest. Of course I can't ever go back there until I have cloverleafed 3 shots at a hundred yards. Too bad, I was starting to like that store - it was close to work.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I couldn't resist, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a "D" loop and a release on a recurve. It's not common but I know a couple of guys with arthritis who do just fine with them. I think you might be one of "those guys behind the counter" we're all talking about
on a first time archer?!
Old 12-08-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmehunt View Post
I need to get something off my chest.....

I've tried to reason with myself and justify it with the fact that I just misspoke but I'm still worried that I'm going to show up on this thread as one of "those guys".
Lol, having a hunting rifle that shoots honest clover leaf patterns is rare, but not so rare that I would call anyone out over it. I have only seen two rifles that have consistently done so; one is a custom built 30-06AI belong to a very experienced shooter I know, the other was a Remington 710 that would do so with hand loaded 150 SSTs.

"Those Guys" are the 'I regularly kill moose with eye-shots with my 17 Hornet.... at 500 yards, all the time' guys, the 'I killed my mule deer at a half mile.... with my .243, in a heavy crosswind.... with a 55 grain V-max' guys... Don't worry about it.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:09 PM

A customer walks up to the counter and asks,

"what is the most economical round for gophers"

The answer "204 ruger is the economical choice for gophers"

In the end the customer walked away with a gun... but no ammo.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmehunt View Post
I need to get something off my chest.
I was at Cabelas last week looking for a new coyote gun. The guy behind the counter was incredibly friendly and helpful. I mentioned that I wasn't sure if my current .243 was the right gun for dogs and so we started discussing the merits of different calibers. He asked me what my grouping was like at 100 yards with my .243 and I misspoke and said I was able to cloverleaf 3 rounds. LET ME MAKE IT PERFECTLY CLEAR - I DO NOT SHOOT THAT WELL but for some reason I had that sentence in my head (probably because we were discussing a buddy of mine that is that good) and it fell out of my mouth like verbal diarrhea.
Before I could correct myself he had moved on and was praising my marksmanship. At this point I panicked and figured it was too late to correct myself - so I just owned it. Lol, I tried to down play it by explaining that there had to be no wind, I needed to be in a prone position and had to skip the coffee and Copenhagen in order to be able to do this. I felt so dirty with myself that I had to leave the store as soon as I could.

Ahhh. It feels good to get that off my chest. Of course I can't ever go back there until I have cloverleafed 3 shots at a hundred yards. Too bad, I was starting to like that store - it was close to work.
THATS FUNNY
Old 12-08-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post

He sounds like an idiot, but some idiots do quite well as writers.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:59 AM

Lots of stories from when I worked a counter, but I have one I was thinking about the other night when a friend was talking about bore sighting.

Had a fellow come into the store to buy a rifle and scope for a guided northern BC moose hunt. He was super excited for the hunt and it was all he could talk about, which is fine by me because it's always nice to hear people be enthusiastic about hunting. I forget the exact rifle he bought, I believe it was a Win model 70 in 300 Win Mag with a Leupold VX-3. Not crazy high end, but a good combo certainly suitable for such a hunt and it would serve him well for decades. After ringing it through and doing the registration (this was in the days of the registry) I mounted the scope for him at the counter while he continued to talk about his guided moose hunt. While I was bore sighting the rifle he said "make sure you take your time doing that! I don't think I'll have time to sight it in at the range before I leave for my hunt."

My jaw pretty much dropped wondering how a guy can spend thousands on a hunt, $1500 on a rifle for the hunt, and can't find a few hours to go to the range to sight it in. Before he left I convinced him he MUST find the time.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
While I was bore sighting the rifle he said "make sure you take your time doing that! I don't think I'll have time to sight it in at the range before I leave for my hunt."

My jaw pretty much dropped wondering how a guy can spend thousands on a hunt, $1500 on a rifle for the hunt, and can't find a few hours to go to the range to sight it in. Before he left I convinced him he MUST find the time.
See that all the time at the local gun shop in late October.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:41 PM

When I was working at a carpet warehouse one of the salesman was tying to impress a client by going hunting with him. He asked me what rifle to buy I suggested a 30-06 would be a good choice. He came back with a surplus Garand he said "if I throw enough lead in front of a deer he should run into it"

Garands were selling in those days for $200 never did hear how he made out.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Here this one all the time even here. I don't shoot targets very well but I shoot real well in the field....Idiots....
Reminds me of people who say they're good shots because they "did pretty good when I went to a shooting range once."
Old 01-16-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZRedStag View Post
Easy enough explanation, his favourite color is potatoe.
maybe it was one of my childhood friends. He used to argue that the 303 was a lot better round than the 7mmRM and 300WM.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmurray View Post
maybe it was one of my childhood friends. He used to argue that the 303 was a lot better round than the 7mmRM and 300WM.
Well it may be "better" if you are looking at cost per box of ammo or possibly recoil factor!
Cat
Old 01-16-2016, 06:22 PM
Banned

Cabelas west end I was looking for a mosin. Some dumb kid beside me is looking at a river 10/22 beside me. Sits there and goes bang bang die zombie this will be my zombie apocalypse gun. I had to leave.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerassassin View Post
Cabelas west end I was looking for a mosin. Some dumb kid beside me is looking at a river 10/22 beside me. Sits there and goes bang bang die zombie this will be my zombie apocalypse gun. I had to leave.
I would have had to leave as well, the older I get the less tolerance I have for stupidity.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Well it may be "better" if you are looking at cost per box of ammo or possibly recoil factor!
Cat
True.

Also wasn't the first or last time someone has gotten offended when I didn't praise the 303.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerassassin View Post
Hopefully they kept a straight face and steered him to the Zombie Max ammo.