Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Hey! I resemble that description and am no scumbag... I am offended!!

You can tell the difference: you dress way better, plus they don't have luxurious beards!
Old 03-24-2020, 03:10 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
You can tell the difference: you dress way better, plus they don't have luxurious beards!
It is quite fantastic I must say... lol!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 03-24-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Let me be the first to say” WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE” and zombies will roam the earth and eat our brains

Ok now that I got that out of my system have fun everyone
Wife says I eat and act like a zombie in front of the TV. Maybe...just maybe it is too late for me?

Guys say I am playing like a zombie in the AOF Poker Club. Not sure when it happened.

Going to have to rewatch "Shaun of the Dead".

That show cracked me up.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-24-2020, 03:19 PM

Today I had to start handing out temporary layoff notices, ROE's, final pay cheques to perfectly healthy people. I can see the fear in their eyes, the trembling in their hands, the tears in their eyes, my eyes. This is the doom part of COVID 19 in my world right now. We are going from 45 - 25 staff. Hopefully we can find enough work to keep the remaining 25 employed through out this pandemic.

BW
Old 03-24-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Today I had to start handing out temporary layoff notices, ROE's, final pay cheques to perfectly healthy people. I can see the fear in their eyes, the trembling in their hands, the tears in their eyes, my eyes. This is the doom part of COVID 19 in my world right now. We are going from 45 - 25 staff. Hopefully we can find enough work to keep the remaining 25 employed through out this pandemic.

BW
Not a job I would envy. We are keeping all our guys but paying a reduced rate so when things rebound we can get back to business in short order. This way they keep income and we keep employees. Different way of thinking which makes me very proud that our company did that.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:30 PM

Just remember, after a war, everything booms.

I can't believe how little money I actually need just to meet the needs of myself and family.
It's the "wants" that are expensive.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I was going to suggest a security thread, I think there's going to be a notable increase in criminal activity for at least the next while. Its not really ramped up quite yet but it will. I copied and edited this entry from one I made on CGN:

This report is from what I saw on Thursday, March 19th so its a bit stale, but it hit home for me in an ominously foreshadowing way. During the day, two of my service calls were for Calgary Police officers. I asked both of them what effect they were thinking the Covid crisis would have on the crime rate. One is a buddy and lives in Cochrane, he went so far as to invite me & my family to stay with his family if things go really south with society, and this dude is a detective. The other officer was quite pensive about what's in store, both are experienced officers with easily over 18 years each on the job.

Later the same evening, I went to the Canadian Tire @ Southland & Macleod and got a 30 mm optic mount and a few other bits. I noticed that CT staff were paying very close attention to some scumbags (neck tats, wearing hoodies and dressed like the cretins they are), the guys were checking out pry bars and sledgehammers, animating how they'd use them...... They eventually left after buying a taillight bulb. I was following with a replacement hickory shovel handle that I didn't buy to fix a shovel with...

Following this I went across the street to WalMart and got my purchases, upon leaving there were 5 homeless types having an argument in between the two sets of doors at the entrance. Then I went outside and about 30' from the door is a metal cabinet (perhaps the propane tank lockup?) , hanging out adjacent that were two more amped-up cretins, one of whom was holding up a pair of pants with the price tag still attached against the WalMart wall, he was taking photos of them, presumably to sell on Kijiji or FB marketplace, etc. The dirtbag was not even 35' from the door of the place.... They were oblivious to the city Enmax worker parked only 8' from them who was on the phone, surely he was talking with 911 dispatch. I would have called it in myself had I not seen him taking care of it.

One main observation that I came away from seeing all of this was that the scumbags are running in packs. More will be forming and some might get rather large.

After all that I went home and lubricated some firearms. I'll be putting in some overdue motion-sensor lights, hardening entry points to the house and hanging a good piece of hickory just inside each door to the house. They'll be hung from rare-earth magnets by the store-display eye hook so that there will be no possibility of snagging-up when grabbing one. I'll throw a go-bag with a flashlight and some other helpful items in easy access.

I expect that criminals won't be able to do the empty house break-ins that they're accustomed to because so many newly-unemployed or folks self-isolating will be home, my thoughts are that they'll transition to doing home-invasions in groups and simply not care whether or not the house house is occupied; we already see this happening with the current problem that rural folks have with thieves.

It left me with the impression of a pack of predatory dogs, be they coyotes or hyenas. I hope if the Emergency Measures Act is imposed that these degenerates are locked up, I care not for their due process.
Inherited this old Hungarian Welcome Stick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ws4.jpg (45.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg ws2.jpg (37.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg ws1.jpg (29.7 KB, 62 views)
Old 03-24-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Just remember, after a war, everything booms.

I can't believe how little money I actually need just to meet the needs of myself and family.
It's the "wants" that are expensive.
Amazing how little money gets spent if you only go to buy groceries!
Old 03-24-2020, 03:32 PM

Hopefully this will bring back the importance of family to society. Make people realize they don’t need other people to get attention. Then can focus on family and enjoying their time and self confidence. Being a stay at home parent isn’t a job I would wish on my worst enemy. Lol
Old 03-24-2020, 03:42 PM

Here are the Alberta stats. Of course highest hit area is my region of the city!
https://covid19stats.alberta.ca/
Old 03-24-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Can we all get an "Amen" what an Awesome job & Mod sns2 is Please?

I will go first
Amen !
(Please don't go anywhere anytime soon sns2)

Moddin' ain't easy. Thanks SNS.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Everyone make sure and try to support your local businesses as most will be lucky to come out of this. Economic impact is going to be much worse than the virus.
We're generally pretty frugal, but we've decided to loosen the purse strings. Could be tough spending money as a lot of businesses are starting to close temporarily.

But once things are looking better, drunken sailors are going to be disgusted at how we're spending money.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
It is quite fantastic I must say... lol!
R U won a dem hippees????
Old 03-24-2020, 04:55 PM
Banned

Class starts in 10 minutes!
My crystal bong ball never told me I’d be a grade one teacher in the evenings but I’m not upset about it. I have a formal class room set up in the spare room complete with an elementary grade desk and a lashing stick. My kids going places in this world and darn tootin’ this ain’t no picnic for the young lad.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:55 PM

Any chance of bringing back the old thread and merging it with this one? There was some good info there if you were willing to weed through the BS.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-24-2020, 05:00 PM
Banned

Lol, there are some pretty sensitive feelings on this thread. Maybe y’all just need a big hug and a bubble bath.

Now, in the spirit of the thread, all the panic in the world isn’t going to stop this viral attack. It’s gonna go through the planet and not stop until it’s finished. It’s gonna kill people, hopefully it won’t be you or your loved ones. Our earth is over populated and rather than an actual war, this is a less invasive way of population control. Focus on what you’re going to do once this passes, until then hang on for the ride.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:00 PM
Banned

This virus is not a flu. Many know but some don’t.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
This virus is not a flu. Many know but some don’t.
Virus, flu, same chit.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Lol, there are some pretty sensitive feelings on this thread. Maybe y’all just need a big hug and a bubble bath.

Now, in the spirit of the thread, all the panic in the world isn’t going to stop this viral attack. It’s gonna go through the planet and not stop until it’s finished. It’s gonna kill people, hopefully it won’t be you or your loved ones. Our earth is over populated and rather than an actual war, this is a less invasive way of population control. Focus on what you’re going to do once this passes, until then hang on for the ride.
^^^^^This

BW
Old 03-24-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Why don’t you just stick to the other thread if your going to get butt hurt because someone has a different opinion than yourself.
Because I don’t want to waste my time filtering through the same post on repeat from the same member. It’s obvious for most that this is not the common flu.

The people who still think the common flu is worse are the ones not taking precautions and are putting vulnerable people at risk. Some of them are even licking toilet seats to prove to their followers that it’s harmless.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Agree. Glad to see you post that.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Who's calling for panic? I thought we were just supposed to avoid getting close to each other in public and wash our hands. Speaking of that, please wash your hands and try to avoid getting too close to people you don't live with. As many people are catching it from other people in the community now as there are people who caught it travelling. https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...FeGNXwqJxFt9r0
Old 03-24-2020, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
Who's calling for panic?

Have you been to a grocery store lately?
Old 03-24-2020, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Agree. Glad to see you post that.
You know me, always the voice of reason...
Old 03-24-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Have you been to a grocery store lately?
I didn’t see any panic in my area. Just people shopping and scared to cough or sneeze. Spring is gonna be a killer once allergy season arrives.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
A legit question...not sure what the problem is to be honest
Generally speaking, the flu is a group of viruses that the general population has some resistance to. Although it is still better to get a yearly flu shot to help your body prepare for the most likely flu strains that are predicted to be spread this year.

COVID-19 is a new virus in the coronavirus group of viruses. In fact, the name is simply a shorthand for basically coronavirus 2019 (discovered in 2019). Coronaviruses generally develop in animals before mutating to be able to transmit to human hosts and transfer between them. As such no one's immune system can easily identify and respond to the virus. BTW the WHO does monitor animal viruses that they think will likely make the jump to people.

What is sort of scary is the fact that for both MERS and SARS (both in the coronavirus family) and other viruses like H1N1 we had a fairly long time between just animal to human transmission before human to human transmission was possible. COVID-19 mutated in about 2 weeks after animal to human transmission to start spreading human to human, and due to the short timeline we haven't had time to come up with a cool name for it. Not only that but the virus is very successful a transmitting between people in near quarters without personal protection equipment like masks, gloves, and clean suits. Already there are 2 strains of COVID-19 and one generally produces more severe cases. If it mutates again and quickly it makes it hard to find a treatment or develop a vaccine as both these things take time not only to develop but also to approve for use.

In terms of lethality, influenza has a mortality rate of about 0.1 percent overall. COVID-19 is at least 4% overall and likely higher in the elderly population. The mortality rate can be higher if the health care system becomes overwhelmed and ventilators aren't available for all critical cases. This is what is happening right now in Italy and combined with their older population why their mortality rate is around 10%.

Will this eventually settle down? Yes, either once most people have gotten it and developed resistance so that there is a sort of herd immunity or once a vaccine/treatment is found.

Why is this worse than H1N1? H1N1 was less contagious and had a mortality rate just a little bit higher than the flu. COVID-19 is at the very least 20 times more fatal and spreads way faster. From April 2009 to April 2010 the US had 60.8 million cases of H1N1. If the current rate of spread continues they will hit 60.8 million cases between April 3rd and April 16th (cased double every 2-3 days from March 18th when I did the math, which they are still on track for).
Old 03-24-2020, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I didn’t see any panic in my area. Just people shopping and scared to cough or sneeze. Spring is gonna be a killer once allergy season arrives.
Did you see any toilet paper or flour?
Old 03-24-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
Who's calling for panic? I thought we were just supposed to avoid getting close to each other in public and wash our hands. Speaking of that, please wash your hands and try to avoid getting too close to people you don't live with. As many people are catching it from other people in the community now as there are people who caught it travelling. https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...FeGNXwqJxFt9r0
It is important to note that this breakdown includes a lot of existing cases from travel. The Cheif Medical Officer for Canada in a press conference today said that if you look at just new cases from the last 2-3 days then 80-90% of them are from community transmission where the patient did not travel or make contact with someone who had travelled outside of the country.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Did you see any toilet paper or flour?
Flour yes. Toilet paper nope. Eggs nope. No shortage of other food though with minimal shoppers. Suspect a lot of people at home now will use up more of the everyday items than normal.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:37 PM

Boys, plenty of toilet paper at the Shoppers in Callingwood. Come and take it, lol!