Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 05:51 PM

Great offence in the first period.

Two amazing shots and goals

Tanev’s goal in close was a thing of beauty. Lol

Johnny’s goal on a break away was a beast of speed.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:23 PM

Snake bit tonight. Two goals against were off our own flames.

Some great chances all round.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:00 PM

The score really doesn't reflect the game, other then goaltending. Shots at the end were 48-45 Flames (and there were some grade A chances there that just weren't going in, Bobrovsky was very good and his posts helped too), but that 6-2 score hurts.

I thought the D earned their cheques tonight for the most part, particularly Kylington and Rasmus. Markstrom didn't have a bad game, but there were a couple he saw coming that I think he should have stopped (and on another night he may have). But credit where it is due, Panthers are a heck of a good team. Their home record is 18-3-0 after tonight.

It illustrates for me that the Pacific really isn't a strong division. Look down the road to Tampa and Carolina. That's some good hockey there. Flames have a tough few games ahead of them. I was not disappointed in their play tonight, just the outcome.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-04-2022, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
The score really doesn't reflect the game, other then goaltending. Shots at the end were 48-45 Flames (and there were some grade A chances there that just weren't going in, Bobrovsky was very good and his posts helped too), but that 6-2 score hurts.

I thought the D earned their cheques tonight for the most part, particularly Kylington and Rasmus. Markstrom didn't have a bad game, but there were a couple he saw coming that I think he should have stopped (and on another night he may have). But credit where it is due, Panthers are a heck of a good team. Their home record is 18-3-0 after tonight.

It illustrates for me that the Pacific really isn't a strong division. Look down the road to Tampa and Carolina. That's some good hockey there. Flames have a tough few games ahead of them. I was not disappointed in their play tonight, just the outcome.
Yeah, the flames aren't a team built to exchange 45+ shots with too many teams in this league. Coach likes them to be a hard checking team in all three zones. Not a Sutter game for sure, I'm betting he was pulling his hair out.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:58 PM

This could be a rough road trip, playing 3 of the top 5 teams in the league in a row.

I'm sure glad they only signed Zadorov to a one year contract. I'd have thought they could have done better for $4M. I like the physicality, I don't like the speed and mental laps. Am I reading that wrong or is he not their worst defenceman?
Old 01-05-2022, 07:48 AM

Yeah that certainly wasn't they way the Flames drew that game up. Although they had there fair share of chances if Coleman had some finish, he could of had 3 or 4.

Florida did a great job of entering the zone wide and forcing the D to spread out then firing a cross ice pass, isolating the D leading to a 1 on 1 and creating space. They transitioned fast and moved the puck fast, using the whole ice.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:14 AM

Flames are lucky it wasn't 12-2. They are not in the same league as Florida
Old 01-05-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Really? Huh. And here I thought they actually were both in the NHL. Thanks for setting us straight and letting us know how lucky they were.

As to the question of Zadorov. He does have his lapses. I'm still on the fence on him. Some games he is better then others, and I do like his size. Undecided still on if he adds or is a liability, he is game by game. Overall, I like the D. Tanev and Hanifan are consistently good, Kylington has been really quite good lately and adds some offence too, jumping in. Rasmus is totally reliable I think. There are teams I could name that would love to have our D. And it certainly helps that Sutter has the forwards playing 200 foot hockey as well.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-05-2022, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
You don't say. So the team you say Calgary doesn't belong in the same league with gave up 49 shots to a lesser league team? Is that you idea of a dominating team?

Certainly wasn't Calgary's night. They were out goaltended, which hasn't happened often this year and hit a few posts. Gave up way too many shots and got pulled into a track meet which isn't their game. Was a 4-2 game after 2 and they were forced to open it up even more which worked against their game plan.

Florida was the better team last night, but they were far from being the team that you think can skate on water, even when it isn't frozen.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:32 PM

Yay, Tampa got their best player back from injury for today's game!
Old 01-06-2022, 03:49 PM

Seems early, but the playoff teams already seem pretty well set.

In the east, Pittsburgh (at 7th) has 43 pts, Boston (at 8th) has 36 pts, and Detroit (at 9th) has 35 pts. Boston and Detroit seems close, but Boston has 5 games in hand and sounds like Rask is coming back. Moneypuck has the chances of Boston making it at 93.3% and Detroit at 4.9%. Basically just the order to settle for the remainder of the regular season....

In the west, Minnesota (at 7th) has 40 pts, Edmonton (at 8th) has 38 pts, and Winnipeg and LA (9th and 10th) have 37 pts. A much closer race, but Minnesota has games in hand on all three immediately below, so it seems like it's going to come down to Edmonton, Winnipeg, and LA. Only one point back though and Winnipeg and LA both have games in hand on Edmonton. Moneypuck has the chances of Edmonton making it at 38.7%, Winnipeg at 51.6%, and LA at 57.4%. It will likely be close, but I suspect, with the games in hand on Edmonton and easy of schedule vs both Winnipeg and Edmonton, that the Kings will sneak in.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Seems early, but the playoff teams already seem pretty well set.

In the east, Pittsburgh (at 7th) has 43 pts, Boston (at 8th) has 36 pts, and Detroit (at 9th) has 35 pts. Boston and Detroit seems close, but Boston has 5 games in hand and sounds like Rask is coming back. Moneypuck has the chances of Boston making it at 93.3% and Detroit at 4.9%. Basically just the order to settle for the remainder of the regular season....

In the west, Minnesota (at 7th) has 40 pts, Edmonton (at 8th) has 38 pts, and Winnipeg and LA (9th and 10th) have 37 pts. A much closer race, but Minnesota has games in hand on all three immediately below, so it seems like it's going to come down to Edmonton, Winnipeg, and LA. Only one point back though and Winnipeg and LA both have games in hand on Edmonton. Moneypuck has the chances of Edmonton making it at 38.7%, Winnipeg at 51.6%, and LA at 57.4%. It will likely be close, but I suspect, with the games in hand on Edmonton and easy of schedule vs both Winnipeg and Edmonton, that the Kings will sneak in.
That's a tough call this year with the disparity in games played due to Covid.

It would be interesting to see them stacked up by points % which kinda shows how well you've done in the games you've played. That info could be out there but I haven't looked yet.

In days gone by you could look at the standings at American Thanksgiving and be almost set except for a couple or three teams. Even in the early years of the loser point.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:31 PM

Flames have another tough game tonight, hopefully they stick to Sutter plan instead of another run and gun. And maybe Markstrom has a stand on his head game. A couple points right now would be good.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:45 PM

Well...Markstrom is standing on his head, and its a good thing he is. Tampa...yikes.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well...Markstrom is standing on his head, and its a good thing he is. Tampa...yikes.
Is he doing yoga from the bench, it's Vladar in net.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Is he doing yoga from the bench, it's Vladar in net.
Oh my.....I've been kinda distracted with phone calls and texts while trying to watch. Good thing I wasn't driving! It doesn't help I have to turn the sound off, because, Cassie.

So Vladar has been standing on his head! Good for him! He has been busy.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:57 PM

is vladar not in net?
Old 01-06-2022, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh my.....I've been kinda distracted with phone calls and texts while trying to watch. Good thing I wasn't driving! It doesn't help I have to turn the sound off, because, Cassie.

So Vladar has been standing on his head! Good for him! He has been busy.
He's played well in almost every game this year and at $750K/yr for two years he's probably played better than any goalie the Oilers have put between the pipes this year. Picked up for a third round draft pick too.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:58 PM

Beat me to it
Old 01-06-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
He's played well in almost every game this year and at $750K/yr for two years he's probably played better than any goalie the Oilers have put between the pipes this year. Picked up for a third round draft pick too.
Absolutely, he has been a steal of a deal. and with Dustin Wolf coming up in the system, Flames are looking good for the future in that dept.

Old 01-06-2022, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Absolutely, he has been a steal of a deal. and with Dustin Wolf coming up in the system, Flames are looking good for the future in that dept.
And this is where I beat my head against the wall on the Soiler thread when I say their management and scouting staff need to get out there and beat the bushes and get some real pieces to improve their team in a trade for the German.

I'm guessing that deal was out there for the Oilers, but instead of giving up a 3rd they sign Smith for $2.2M/yr.

I've gotta take a break from that thread though. After seeing some of their responses you gain a whole new appreciation of why it's so hard for the authorities to solve an Oiler fan murder up there...........

All the DNA is the same and they haven't a hope of getting any dental records.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:43 PM
Banned

Oh my!

"A little good news during these dark days....

YYC338/Dead Moose just posted this on the Flames thread. I guess he isn't going to grace us with his presence for awhile.

And this is where I beat my head against the wall on the Soiler thread when I say their management and scouting staff need to get out there and beat the bushes and get some real pieces to improve their team in a trade for the German.

I'm guessing that deal was out there for the Oilers, but instead of giving up a 3rd they sign Smith for $2.2M/yr.

I've gotta take a break from that thread though. "

You know you're using the right sucker bait when you can bring them to the surface from a different thread.

I guess the unvarnished truth was creating some hurt feelers.

Jack Nicholson in A few Good Men had the perfect line.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:56 PM

Play nice now.

That game....Woof. Glad Dube put one up on the board for pride. And Maroon was not wise to pick a fight outside his weight class. Outside of that, we had a real butt whipping. Vladar did very well for what he faced.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:24 PM

Umm Maroon has 20kg weight advantage to Gudbranson. Gudbranson has a big reach advantage. Fun watching that one sided lop. Vladar was the only bright light. Isn’t that only 2 wins in last 8 and our wins were bottom feeders. Time for Tre to earn his pay chq. We need secondary scoring
Hard to make fun of the Oilers ughhh
Quote:
Play nice now.

That game....Woof. Glad Dube put one up on the board for pride. And Maroon was not wise to pick a fight outside his weight class. Outside of that, we had a real butt whipping. Vladar did very well for what he faced.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:41 PM

See? Maroon was outside his weight class! he got handled.

There was a lot of puck watching going on. There were five Flames watching the puck behind their net and nobody even saw the shooter skate into the slot all by his lonesome on that 3rd goal. Same as Pointe was all alone on his goal. Poor coverage if any. That happened way too often tonigh. They were simply rattled by that point.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Play nice now.

These games are a good measuring stick and it does show there's work to be done. They seem to struggle a bit to find their game after a break. A bit of a layoff after training camp and they took awhile to hit their stride. Granted this is the 4th game after 19 days off but the first two wins were against lower tier teams.

Hey, I've been playing nice, haven't insulted anybody...... while maybe just the one guy who thought he was the Oiler's GM and demanded we bring him actual names of players to trade the German for so he could critique them. I did find that a bit rich.

I think he's a fan though, follows me around and reprints my posts.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:11 PM

Thankfully the schedule gets a bit easier after this next game. A good measuring stick indeed though that shows there is a bit of work to be done.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:18 PM

Quote:

I've gotta take a break from that thread though. After seeing some of their responses you gain a whole new appreciation of why it's so hard for the authorities to solve an Oiler fan murder up there...........

All the DNA is the same and they haven't a hope of getting any dental records.
You promised Moose. How long did that last? You have your hooves crossed?
Try beating your head on a toilet seat rather than a wall. Be like watching a flames game live, Looch the biggest turd floating around
Old 01-07-2022, 01:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
You promised Moose. How long did that last? You have your hooves crossed?
Try beating your head on a toilet seat rather than a wall. Be like watching a flames game live, Looch the biggest turd floating around
Hey, never said cold turkey, speaking of which......oh never mind. Besides what's the legal definition of a break? You guys float enough fan boy garbage over there a guy could go non-stop 24/7.

Just tonight somebody was chirping about two points ahead but seems lost on the concept of points % which shows the gap may be wider than a soiler fan would like to admit. Not to mention which teams fan thread title seems to think their it's their time to win the cup yet some are dissing the other thread's fans for claiming they are winning the cup(which they haven't). You can't make this stuff up.

Hey Dead Moose, wherever and who ever you are, you need to jump in and satisfy the soiler thread infatuation with you by posting more.

I've given it to them straight, sans sugar coating. Offered solutions. Tried to bring them back to reality, jerked their chain when they've sent the BS meter over the top all under my AO ID and they still think I'm you. I'm just not not getting the credit I deserve, but to them you're a legend.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Just tonight somebody was chirping about two points ahead but seems lost on the concept of points % which shows the gap may be wider than a soiler fan would like to admit.
Regardless of games played, I'm actually a little embarrassed they are within two points at this stage in the season.
Closed Thread