Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Banned

if a few easy to score species like muley bucks and moose end up on draw in a few zones because of the crossbow then SO WHAT....the overall benefit to all of Alberta's hunters is worth 100x that one tiny issue that some might call a negative?
Old 01-01-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Archers hunt mule deer and moose every year, I wait 3 years to draw either. I can't bow hunt so no I don't have equal access. How hard is that to understand?

Yes, that is exactly the way I feel, at this point I have exhausted all my approaches the only chance I have is if crossbows are allowed in archery season. No crossbows no archery hunting for me, plenty good reason to "trounce" it in my view.

Now you are catching on...
I do not glory in any ones disability. But this can't be about you. Lots of people cannot do lots of things....such is life. We all suffer our limitations. You do in fact have the same access as anyone, it is your personal situation that prevents you from participating. Have you been denied a crossbow license? I had a crossbow license once myself (attached). I never employed it (not once) but I did have the option. Since that time, I have recovered completely and I don't want to go back there.

....and like I said before. A few CB supporters have been using the word "selfish", attributing that trait to bowhunters who oppose the use of CB's in the archery season. That rings so false.........because it is in their "self interest" or "self concern" that they are promoting CB's. They wish to take away, change, alter (or trounce) that which was given to others.

Equality is best applied to law and mathematics...not physical abilities, for we are truly not equal in that area. I sure would like a place on the olympic team.......can't see that happening though. I could however, do one of two things; try harder or give up. I'm too old......I give up

Everyone has equal access to hunt sheep. Not every one can climb mountains.....................no climb, no sheep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cb license.jpg (32.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-01-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
I do not glory in any ones disability. But this can't be about you.
Yes, yes it can be about me. Why couldn't it, when denying me is serving your interests, or is it alright to be all about you?

Quote:
Have you been denied a crossbow license? I had a crossbow license once myself (attached).
Yep.

Quote:
....and like I said before. A few CB supporters have been using the word "selfish", attributing that trait to bowhunters who oppose the use of CB's in the archery season. That rings so false.........because it is in their "self interest" or "self concern" that they are promoting CB's. They wish to take away, change, alter (or trounce) that which was given to others.
But it isn't just as selfish to keep the ABA happy? Is it not in your best "self interest" To keep me and others like me out?
Don't forget some of us on the outside lobbied for the bow season in the beginning and now can't hunt it.
I look at it like this, we did it once, we can do it again, I will hunt with a crossbow in archery season, of that I have no doubt.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, yes it can be about me. Why couldn't it, when denying me is serving your interests, or is it alright to be all about you?

Yep.

But it isn't just as selfish to keep the ABA happy? Is it not in your best "self interest" To keep me and others like me out?
Don't forget some of us on the outside lobbied for the bow season in the beginning and now can't hunt it.
I look at it like this, we did it once, we can do it again, I will hunt with a crossbow in archery season, of that I have no doubt.
Quote:
Does everyone have to be accommodated? That is not reasonable. This is narrowed down to us against them and the dam will either stand the pressure or break somewhere. It's not a case of not letting people in. That a wrong analogy. When you have something or when you own something or when you're a part of something and someone comes along and says you're doing it all wrong, you need to do it this way or you're not inclusive enough or you're selfish...well, you're bound to receive a bums welcome.......'cause that is the natural order of things. You protect what you have unless you can make it better. I just don't believe that introducing crossbows into the archery season is going to improve the overall archery season/archery tag allocation. If there is a net effect of reducing season days or OTC tags then what exactly is the benefit? If a person is disabled, apply for a cb license. I can't comment on why some disabilities are disallowed but if it were me and if I could not use a bow because of my disability, I'd be argueing up to the minister on that one. I had a cb license and I had no amputations.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Does everyone have to be accommodated?
In this case the accommodation is such a simple one that it is senseless to argue against it.
Quote:
This is narrowed down to us against them and the dam will either stand the pressure or break somewhere.
Yes of course it has and the ABA has set this course.

Quote:
It's not a case of not letting people in. That a wrong analogy.
You better check into the meaning of analogy, this isn't an analogy, I DO want in.

Quote:
When you have something or when you own something or when you're a part of something and someone comes along and says you're doing it all wrong, you need to do it this way or you're not inclusive enough or you're selfish...well, you're bound to receive a bums welcome.......'cause that is the natural order of things.
Remember if myself and others hadn't stood up once upon a time this season you are wishing to hoard wouldn't exist. Change is a guarenttee in life.
Quote:
I'd be argueing up to the minister on that one. I had a cb license and I had no amputations.
You can bet your last dollar that I'm doing just that - chatting with the minister and it ain't about getting a special license.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 Does everyone have to be accommodated?
In this case the accommodation is such a simple one that it is senseless to argue against it. If myself and others hadn't stood up once upon a time this season you are wishing to hoard wouldn't exist.
The inmates must have been running the asylum all along then for this to have endured. You were one of the original inmates?

Quote:
This is narrowed down to us against them and the dam will either stand the pressure or break somewhere. Yes of course it has and the ABA has set this course.
Maybe you helped set the course way back when bowhunting regulations were first being considered? Maybe the ABA wants to stay the course you helped contrive. Maybe you are setting the course again for personal reasons? All of that seems logical.

Quote:
Change is a guarenttee in life
True. Lots of it is good and lots of it is bad.

Quote:
I'd be argueing up to the minister on that one. I had a cb license and I had no amputations. You can bet your last dollar that I'm doing just that - chatting with the minister and it ain't about getting a special license.
Fire away.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Maybe you helped set the course way back when bowhunting regulations were first being considered? Maybe the ABA wants to stay the course you helped contrive. Maybe you are setting the course again for personal reasons? All of that seems logical.
Personal reasons were what motivated us all in the beginning and are what are motivating both you and I right now. I'm not insulted over being labeled personally interested anymore than you are. The ABA it's member's want and by their own admission 5%, yes five percent no typo error, are archery exclusive hunters. How hard to you suppose it would be to convince the membership to allow crossbows?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
The ABA it's member's want and by their own admission 5%, yes five percent no typo error, are archery exclusive hunters. How hard to you suppose it would be to convince the membership to allow crossbows?
?

The ABA's position
Old 01-02-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Of course the directors and board are made up of people from the 5%, what else would you expect. They however serve at the memberships wishes and if the membership wants change, well you do the math.
One thing that has been mentioned to the minister is reduction of the number of people hunting in rifle season. Get more out in the field during archery and they get their game that is less pounding on doors looking for access in rifle season and a reduction of congestion.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:08 AM

Has there been any data or feedback on the number of additional hunters that took to the field with a cross bow in the primitive weapons season that was created in WMUs 150, 151, 162, 163, 200, 234, 236, 256 and 500 this past year? (This allowed the use of shotguns, muzzleloaders, cross-bow and bow & arrow during an open season for white-tailed deer and mule deer from October 15-31)

Last edited by Duk Dog; 01-02-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Of course the directors and board are made up of people from the 5%, what else would you expect. They however serve at the memberships wishes and if the membership wants change, well you do the math.
One thing that has been mentioned to the minister is reduction of the number of people hunting in rifle season. Get more out in the field during archery and they get their game that is less pounding on doors looking for access in rifle season and a reduction of congestion.
So your saying that the membership is in favour of what the directors and board are saying.

A reduction in the number of people rifle hunting? All taken care of by the introduction of the CB. Interesting, when that could have been happening all along by anyone willing to pick-up a bow. Drum roll.... intro of the CB will create less pounding on doors looking for access in the rifle season! How did we ever manage 166,000 hunters in 1980? We have maybe 95,000 hunters in 2008. So we have 57% of the hunters we had in 1980. It must have been really bad in the good-ole-days, because 43% less door knocking/conjestion today has gone unnoticed apparently. I'm saying CB's = less door knocking/conjestion is not real. It's just stuff being added to the list, for the sake of making the list look large, of why CB's should be intrtoduced. It's just fluff....no substance.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
So your saying that the membership is in favour of what the directors and board are saying.
The ABA is like any other organization where the few rule the day until something important comes along. Will it happen here? Who knows? Should prove interesting.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:

A reduction in the number of people rifle hunting? All taken care of by the introduction of the CB. Interesting, when that could have been happening all along by anyone willing to pick-up a bow. Drum roll.... intro of the CB will create less pounding on doors looking for access in the rifle season! How did we ever manage 166,000 hunters in 1980? We have maybe 95,000 hunters in 2008. So we have 57% of the hunters we had in 1980. It must have been really bad in the good-ole-days, because 43% less door knocking/conjestion today has gone unnoticed apparently. I'm saying CB's = less door knocking/conjestion is not real. It's just stuff being added to the list, for the sake of making the list look large, of why CB's should be intrtoduced. It's just fluff....no substance.
Sounds like the 'CB' might possibly help stimulate some growth then....another positive....sounds like we could use it in the hunting community!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Has there been any data or feedback on the number of additional hunters that took to the field with a cross bow in the primitive weapons season that was created in WMUs 150, 151, 162, 163, 200, 234, 236, 256 and 500 this past year? (This allowed the use of shotguns, muzzleloaders, cross-bow and bow & arrow during an open season for white-tailed deer and mule deer from October 15-31)
No feedback on this? How about the success rate of these hunters using cross bows?

Last edited by Duk Dog; 01-03-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Unless a survey has been conducted there won't be any data. Haven't heard of any survey myself.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Unless a survey has been conducted there won't be any data. Haven't heard of any survey myself.
Thanks for the reply.

Thats too bad if they aren't tracking that data. It could have been a good tool to be used by SRD to determine if, and how, cross bows should be allowed in the archery season. It would sure be interesting to see with the inclusion of cross bows in the primitive weapons season this year in WMUs 150, 151, 162, 163, 200, 234, 236, 256 and 500 if there were many hunters that took adavantage of this opportunity to use a cross bow, and what their success rate was.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:37 PM

First off I Bow hunt, I also shotgun hunt, muzzle loader hunt, and etc.

My oppinion, is this, I don't care what the seasons are, hunting is hunting! If its a crossbow season, so be it, i will just have to buy a crossbow~ $$$.

I use the most effieient tool at my disposal, if its bow only I just use my bow, but if its primiitive weapons i use my smoke pole! I do this for 2 reasons, #1 being I believe I owe it to the game I pursue to be as efficient a killer as possible not to make them suffer! and #2 Like alot of us here, I have limited time to pursue game most years! So effieciency is the key!

I am all about extending seasons and etc. Hell who wouldn't want an additional month or so to chase game? but at what cost?

I, as many of you have witnessed this for sure, guys with rifles ( or bows, shotguns etc. ) carrying off a 3 by 3 buck or a young buck with potential for future years. if you are meat hunting then save these fellas for future years, why not let them grow into the trophies of tomorrow? Shoot a doe

If its a first time hunter or young girl or guy, I completley understand. It s a learning process and etc.

But it just erks me to see, guys and some of them are my hunting buddies, that have shot lots of deer in the past, Shooting a mid 4x4 or non trophy class deer the last few days of the season, JUST TO FILL A TAG!

We are better than that! This is the second time in 3 years my WT tag as gone unfilled, I coulda shot some nice deer the last couple days of the season but I just hope and pray, some of the mid size deer I passed this year maked it to next season so I an start the chase all over again!

Crossbows? Sure, but educate fellow hunters to stop killing this year what will be our trophies of tomorrow!

Thanks
Dan
Old 01-03-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I, as many of you have witnessed this for sure, guys with rifles ( or bows, shotguns etc. ) carrying off a 3 by 3 buck or a young buck with potential for future years. if you are meat hunting then save these fellas for future years, why not let them grow into the trophies of tomorrow? Shoot a doe

If its a first time hunter or young girl or guy, I completley understand. It s a learning process and etc.

But it just erks me to see, guys and some of them are my hunting buddies, that have shot lots of deer in the past, Shooting a mid 4x4 or non trophy class deer the last few days of the season, JUST TO FILL A TAG!

We are better than that! This is the second time in 3 years my WT tag as gone unfilled, I coulda shot some nice deer the last couple days of the season but I just hope and pray, some of the mid size deer I passed this year maked it to next season so I an start the chase all over again!
Nothing in there I can agree with. I buy a whitetail tag, I don't buy a trophy whitetail tag. Maybe to suit someone like you, F&W can start printing trophy whitetail tags. Sell them for trophy prices too. It's painful to me that one hunter looks down on another hunter for the animal he shot. That irks me. Trophy hunting is fine.......but who are you to criticize anyone for the animal they shoot? If everybody took your stance it would change the dynamic of deer management and a greater number of people would be pressuring deer up to the final minute of the seaon (maybe even out of season). A rack on the wall is nice...........to some meat in the freezer is sweeter. Following your own code is fine too...............but to declare that as a higher calling or a higher standard or better than someone else is callow (IMO).

Quote:
Shoot a doe
You know that doe's are carrying tomorrow's trophies? I just had to add that.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
What would be wrong with draws in the archery season?
Nothing wrong with draws in the Archery seasons. There are quite a few draws in the Archery season right now.

This discussion is about including another weapon in an archery-only season.

You wanting crossbows allowed in the Archery only season is as selfish as me not wanting them included...
Old 01-04-2009, 12:46 AM

1. Just stating, if there is a new Crossbow season created, i will most likely be hunting it!

And 2. This great province of ours needs better deer management, or we are going to lose our ability to produce trophy class animals for many years!

Maybe a few trophy draw zones to be created, does, spikers can be shot and a minimum size for trophy's. This would fill the need for deer management and also fill the needs of us trophy hunters. haha

Just a thought, as for the Crossbow season? Sure thing, I never owned one or fired one,

What is the range on a crossbow? I know i wouldn't shoot past 40 yards with my bow!

Dan
Old 01-04-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Just a thought, as for the Crossbow season? Sure thing, I never owned one or fired one,

What is the range on a crossbow? I know i wouldn't shoot past 40 yards with my bow!
I own one. The trajectory of 460 gr arrows on my 225# Exomax is flatter than my 60# Mathews shooting 390 gr arrows. With the varizone scope (multiple aiming point reticle) I can put arrows into the yellow bull consistently at 60 yards. Not freehand though.......to do that I need a bench or shooting rest or be laying down. Can you shoot farther.......of course you can. I have the reticle aiming points zeroed for 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards.

Last edited by CNP; 01-04-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-04-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
You wanting crossbows allowed in the Archery only season is as selfish as me not wanting them included...
Of course it is - with one difference, you can archery hunt, I can't.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
If you aren't physically able to draw a bow,why aren't you able to obtain a special crossbow license?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Anyone in the Province can, including you.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
Anyone in the Province can, including you.
I've had elbow surgery and can't shoot a bow and I've been turned down for the crossbow license.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I've had elbow surgery and can't shoot a bow and I've been turned down for the crossbow license.
Even with a report from your doctor stating that you could not draw a bow?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:27 PM

This is the document that was provided to me when applying for a CB license. A physician's confirmation in required to accompany the application. Not saying this is the current form, as forms change from time to time. However, based on this form and my doctors accompanying letter, I was granted a crossbow license. I never used it because during that period I really was not in any condition nor did I have any desire to hunt. My situation has changed, I have all of my limbs and I have since recovered from my disability. I hunt primarily with a compound bow and I will at times hunt with a recurve or longbow. Well.......I did go sheep hunting with a rifle this fall because I didn't feel I could compete with my partner who was carrying a 300 WSM.

The prognosis for my disability was permanent, what can I say? Praise the Lord!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LastScan.jpg (59.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 01-04-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Even with a report from your doctor stating that you could not draw a bow?
No I just phoned it in... - of course I did, there is form to fill out and a medical assesment is required.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
No I just phoned it in... - of course I did, there is form to fill out and a medical assesment is required.
So are you saying that the doctor that did the medical assessment did not agree that you were not fit to draw a bow?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So are you saying that the doctor that did the medical assessment did not agree that you were not fit to draw a bow?
If you are this confused in life there isn't a hope of me explaining it to you. Only confusion on par with yours would have someone send in paper work that disqualified himself.