Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 09:45 PM

I’m sure glad that the police that I had many many interactions with when I was young were not like what those two and many like them are like now. Cops back then didn’t have all the hardware on their belts or a swat team minutes away.
They had themselves and their common sense with them. I believe none of the cops that dealt with me would have done anything like what those two did and I got a whole lot more yappy that he did.
But I guess times are different. Course all of them were big men and unless you got physical or really belligerent then you would get a big open mitt hand to the side of the head. That usually settled things pretty quick but never had anything like what happened to that guy.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You apparently have no comprehension of what Antifa really is. They are not just some group that opposes all authority, they only oppose the authority that they are paid to oppose. They don’t fight to defend freedom and personal rights for all, they protest and riot to promote only the agenda that they are paid to protest for. Antifa carries weapons and uses violence to carry out the agenda of the people that pay them.
The man that was arrested didn't go out on that ice to protest anything, and he wasn't paid to be there, he went out for recreation with his friends , which has nothing in common with Antifa.
Debating the definition of ANTIFA is not needed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifa_(United_States)

I see both as equally selfish. ANTIFA opposes government and their rules. Others appear to oppose any rule they don’t like and then deem it worth ignoring.

However that is not how laws operate. If everyone ignores the laws then we have ANTIFA chaos.

There are ways to affect change to laws. Ignoring a police officer and resisting should result in consequences.

If he is one of these anti maskers then his public stand could have even further consequences.

Rules are in place to save lives. It’s selfish to put yourself as having a higher right to do what you want.

He is free to resist. Hopefully he gets a fine and a resisting and refusal to present ID charge.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-20-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
I saw him asking questions, they did not answer. I saw them loose patience with him, then physically attack him, threaten him and throw him to the ground. He had his hands down and at his side. Did you see that? Did he seem threatening to you?
What did you see?
IMHE, jr hockey players and especially those wearing C & A, are coached to 'communicate' (and trash talk') with other players and referees, while holding hands & stick down at side of legs, as this posture is non-threatening and non-aggressive, any retaliation will be seen as instigation and penalized if seen by ref.

I was not there, and have not viewed the video, but I suspect MANY 'referees' probably will, and (hope) that penalties will be called on aggressors and instigators of violence. Pointing a weapon and threatening are both 'assault' under the CC. Civil action for false arrest seems possible.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Kind of a stretch to say many think rules (plural, inclusive, all) don't need to be followed.

But you are absolutely correct to think that some people with critical thinking skills question your Holy Covid Rules, given that they have changed multiple times, are grossly hypocritical (as are those who have imposed them) and to any reasonable person, pretty much useless to stop a virus. The people who wrote those rules are also the same ones who did nothing to close our borders initially, or since. Lots of travel in and out, lots of confirmed Covid on those flights. How did that not make it into your rule book?

Go down to Costco, Wal-Mart, Superstore, and be really observant, and tell me how much safer that is then kids playing shinny?

Anyway. You go ahead and comply with any and all orders given by The Authorities, and if it infringes just a bit on civil liberties and common sense, that's acceptable for the Greater Public Good Pretext. If it saves just one life.
Just following similar rules that most of the world is following except maybe the US but they were just following their loser ex president that can’t figure out he lost. I think we are trying to save a lot of lives by trying to keep cases manageable so we don’t overwhelm our health care so they can still look after non-covid patients .
But if you feel your so hard done that is your opinion. We each believe what we want to . We are individuals we are allowed.
As for the guy if he would have just complied with the police no one would have been discussing this . We will probably see more copy cats now.
Not sure I would want to be a police officer now.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaderek View Post
Just following similar rules that most of the world is following except maybe the US but they were just following their loser ex president that can’t figure out he lost. I think we are trying to save a lot of lives by trying to keep cases manageable so we don’t overwhelm our health care so they can still look after non-covid patients .
But if you feel your so hard done that is your opinion. We each believe what we want to . We are individuals we are allowed.
As for the guy if he would have just complied with the police no one would have been discussing this . We will probably see more copy cats now.
Not sure I would want to be a police officer now.
If you would actually look at the statistics in the US you would realize how far off base you are. But hey I guess if you have a political agenda rather than stats keep it up.
As for this incident I am torn between the absurd rules and if the guy was being a punk. But as I have not actually watched the video I reserve judgement.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:55 PM

We live in a country where our PM and his safety minister banned firearms with no parliamentary debate, under a false pretext, to buy votes. It was shameless grave dancing. This effectively made criminals out of 70K+ people. Then they nullified the certificates, which is a fabricated legal mechanism to avoid judicial scrutiny. Under section 92(1) of the criminal code that makes all those 'criminals' guilty of an indictable offense with a 10 year max sentence. Maybe you missed it in the news.

This is the government that is locking down the country, and destroying the economy and small businesses, and many lives, under a pretext. I chose not to believe it. You do.

But don't talk stupid about 'being hard done by' comaderek. If that is the type of authority you want to blindly follow and kiss ass on, be my guest. Lots of other people are going to be right there with you following orders.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-20-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
We live in a country where our PM and his safety minister banned firearms with no parliamentary debate, under a false pretext, to buy votes. It was shameless grave dancing. This effectively made criminals out of 70K+ people. Then they nullified the certificates, which is a fabricated legal mechanism to avoid judicial scrutiny. Under section 92(1) of the criminal code that makes all those 'criminals' guilty of an indictable offense with a 10 year max sentence. Maybe you missed it in the news.

This is the government that is locking down the country, and destroying the economy and small businesses, and many lives, under a pretext. I chose not to believe it. You do.

But don't talk stupid about 'being hard done by' comaderek. If that is the type of authority you want to blindly follow and kiss ass on, be my guest. Lots of other people are going to be right there with you following orders.
Here, here!!!

1000% agree.

Twisted Canuck for mayor, premier, and prime minister!!!
Old 12-20-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:

Never forget, Hitler was elected, and without blind unquestioned obedience by many of his people, he could never have openly murdered millions of people and started a world war that killed millions more. And here in Canada we have many of those same kind of people that will hand over their firearms, and give up their freedom of speech, and blind obey the authorities, regardless of what they demand.

No that 21 year old was not fighting for society, he isn't that noble, or that wise, but watching the reactions of the people to this incident, makes it obvious that there are many people here that will blindly obey any orders they are given, whether they are just orders or not.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Never forget, Hitler was elected, and without blind unquestioned obedience by many of his people, he could never have openly murdered millions of people and started a world war that killed millions more. And here in Canada we have many of those same kind of people that will hand over their firearms, and give up their freedom of speech, and blind obey the authorities, regardless of what they demand.

No that 21 year old was not fighting for society, he isn't that noble, or that wise, but watching the reactions of the people to this incident, makes it obvious that there are many people here that will blindly obey any orders they are given, whether they are just orders or not.
Based on this thread, many many. Sad.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Was in town on Friday, Costco packed full of people, Walmart packed, Canadian tire packed. These are just a few examples and I’m not exaggerating. Does this make any sense whatsoever to you? It’s the law now, blah blah blah...

No one is allowed to question the absolute stupidity of it all?
I’m still waiting for one of the sheep to step forward and answer what I asked above. Going along with rules and laws that make absolutely no sense whatsoever, give me a break!

Every place I went to or drove by was packed with people. So police and bylaw officers focus on some people skating and playing hockey outdoors???

It’s getting pretty scary with people willing to give into this nonsense. Was the kid right or wrong, don’t know. But when cops are being supported for freaking like they did over something so stupid, maybe it’s time to step back and think about it. I know, that’s a hard thing to ask of people these days.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post
I’m sure glad that the police that I had many many interactions with when I was young were not like what those two and many like them are like now. Cops back then didn’t have all the hardware on their belts or a swat team minutes away.
They had themselves and their common sense with them. I believe none of the cops that dealt with me would have done anything like what those two did and I got a whole lot more yappy that he did.
But I guess times are different. Course all of them were big men and unless you got physical or really belligerent then you would get a big open mitt hand to the side of the head. That usually settled things pretty quick but never had anything like what happened to that guy.
Ya summed it up there... A mitt upside the head so hard your ears ring for a week, effective and immediate....This pizzy little squabble would not have even made the diner table conversation but today it's front line news....go figure.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 12-21-2020 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:00 AM

Didn’t see the video, didn’t read this whole thread (only read a few posts on the last two pages, actually). This statement from the screenshot of the facebook post does not make any sense:

The reason it doesn’t make sense is because they believe that the mask wearing is for protecting others first, not the wearer. Not directly, anyway (though they now believe that it does protect the wearer to a degree as well). What he is saying is the same as since it is your body and your health, it is ok to drive over the speed limit (including in neighbourhoods and school zones, obviously) if you are willing to take the risk and those who are “scared”, should drive within the limit (or slower?). This clearly indicates lack of understanding of the subject.

Carry on.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:33 AM

Quote:

My old man told me a story once of him running towards bullets in Germany while the very people that voted Hitler in where running away. Seems there’s some here that are running away also, sad to think they think freedom is free.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Didn’t see the video, didn’t read this whole thread (only read a few posts on the last two pages, actually). This statement from the screenshot of the facebook post does not make any sense:

The reason it doesn’t make sense is because they believe that the mask wearing is for protecting others first, not the wearer. Not directly, anyway (though they now believe that it does protect the wearer to a degree as well). What he is saying is the same as since it is your body and your health, it is ok to drive over the speed limit (including in neighbourhoods and school zones, obviously) if you are willing to take the risk and those who are “scared”, should drive within the limit (or slower?). This clearly indicates lack of understanding of the subject.

Carry on.

While this thread has become an ideological debate, a medical debate, and a convenient place to vent about all those mean jocks that picked on you in grade school... all other BS aside, for me this entire issue is about exactly three things. Before delving into anything else at all I think you need to ask yourself...

1. Whether or not a government has any business making a rule against 15 guys playing hockey at an outdoor rink.

2. Whether a person of any moral fiber at all has any business enforcing that rule, police officer or otherwise.

3. When faced with the first two BS scenarios, or the equivalent of, a person is morally wrong in refusing to comply.

I don't care about the post, I don't care about the letter of the law, and I don't care who was being a bigger dick in the incident. In my opinion, the government has gone to far, the police are doing an extremely poor job of using sound judgement, and I'm glad to see people finally deciding that they have been pushed far enough. As much as nobody wants to be the one to make the sacrifice, this type of thing needs to happen on a regular enough basis that the government is forced to re-evaluate exactly how much force it can get away with exercising on the general public.

Last edited by Bushleague; 12-21-2020 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:35 AM

We need 200-300 or more people to refuse this crap. They wouldn't do a bloody thing if a crowd of people calmly and non violently walked in a park. Strength in numbers. Could imagine if Leo's walked into a Costco or Walmart and started arresting people. All hell would break lose.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 12-21-2020, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
We need 200-300 or more people to refuse this crap. They wouldn't do a bloody thing if a crowd of people calmly and non violently walked in a park. Strength in numbers. Could imagine if Leo's walked into a Costco or Walmart and started arresting people. All hell would break lose.
Freedom rally and March was in Saskatoon Saturday.approximately 250 people met in the park marched throughout the city with police escort.cops asked some would be trouble making antifa dudes to leave.no fines issued that I’m aware of.similar March in Calgary from what I understand.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post
Freedom rally and March was in Saskatoon Saturday.approximately 250 people met in the park marched throughout the city with police escort.cops asked some would be trouble making antifa dudes to leave.no fines issued that I’m aware of.similar March in Calgary from what I understand.
Easier to to take the low hanging fruit. (Kids playing shinny)
Old 12-21-2020, 05:15 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Well said.

Laws must be based on more then a knee jerk reaction. They must first and foremost make sense and they must allow for flexibility in implementing.

For example, many jurisdictions recognize that to kill in self defense is not murder and therefore not an offense.

Many laws set an arbitrary number as a limit, with no flexibility. For example, a 17 year 11 month old individual is not charged the same as an 18 year old in many jurisdictions. As if one month makes the difference between the ability to comprehend right from wrong, and not.

In this story being outdoors, while social distancing makes a difference in the potential to spread this virus, but not in the eyes of the law because of an arbitrary number.

Had there been only 9 people on that ice nothing should have been done.
And once the number present dropped below 10 there was no longer justification for any action being taken.

On the one hand law enforcement likes to claim they have no choice because they are following the letter of the law but when that no longer applies they switch to claiming they are acting in accordance with the intent of the law.

Here the intent is to slow the spread of this virus, not just arbitrarily limit peoples choices, but once that justification no longer existed they switch to "the command was justified when given". So now it's no longer about the intent of the law. It's now about an arbitrary time frame.

I agree the guy was being a jerk, but I don't think that's an offense under the law.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-21-2020, 06:25 AM

Default From facebook

Hey my name is Ocean Wiesblatt. Please don’t donate to anything that is under my name because I have not created or set up anything. I will be posting a video tomorrow or the day after to explain the info with everything that has happened since my arrest on thursday at the out door rink. For all the people that are supporting me thank you💙but we are not done, this is only the start. I’m doing this for my freedom and yours. The mask on your face that is enforced by government should be your choice to wear or not to wear not anyone else’s choice because it’s your life, body and health. If you’re scared to get sick protect yourself. I will keep pushing till this problem is solved. Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much. 🤟🏼

He doesn't get that wearing a mask is so you don't pass the virous on the someone else more vulnerable not to protect yourself.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I’m torn on this whole thing, it was handled poorly by everyone involved from the person who called to complain, to the disobedient young man to the overzealous cops who chose a very poor hill to die on. Let’s all be real, a proclamation under guise of public health and safety that bans gatherings or recreation outside is asinine and overreaching, it was a clause put in to hopefully make the freedom/anti mask protests go away, Kenney doesn’t want to be dealing with that. That young man should have taken that ticket, challenged it in court and get it thrown out. Whoever called in needs to make better life decisions and not call in people getting healthy exercise, hopefully they get called in some other time for something stupid and get fined out the wazoo, let’s hope karma is a b****.

On a side point to all the people calling for this young man’s head I’d like to pint out something to digest, what are your actions going to be when Trudeau’s gun ban includes one of the guns you own? Are you going to blindly follow a stupid rule by a politician and turn over your gun? What are your actions going to be?
Couldn’t help but notice nobody answered your question, there is more outdoorsmen voting for bun banning politicians than I would like to believe.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Well seems you could muster up a mob, seems you will have no issues getting a few followers from this thread, date, time, location....make it an early one so I can watch the arrests on the evening news....better yet have a game of shinny...don't forget the tie down strap on your jersey winched up tight.....

All kidding aside...what's done is done and as much as we agree to disagree this covid, restrictions etc got people a little wonky.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Ya summed it up there... A mitt upside the head so hard your ears ring for a week, effective and immediate....This pizzy little squabble would not have even made the diner table conversation but today it's front line news....go figure.

Someday you should travel to a country where is this is normal. You would love it. There is no need to tie up a whole bunch of time and money in court. You can pay your fine on the spot and the cop has to buy his own gun with his own money.
Major crimes can be handled immediately. Drunk driving and drug dealers etc are on the spot execution. Of course some cops are more liberal with execution. Being gay or Christian or Muslim or brown or white also can carry the same sentence. Imagine all of that order and compliance
Everyone should travel a bit and not stay in an all inclusive resort.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
Someday you should travel to a country where is this is normal. You would love it. There is no need to tie up a whole bunch of time and money in court. You can pay your fine on the spot and the cop has to buy his own gun with his own money.
Major crimes can be handled immediately. Drunk driving and drug dealers etc are on the spot execution. Of course some cops are more liberal with execution. Being gay or Christian or Muslim or brown or white also can carry the same sentence. Imagine all of that order and compliance
Everyone should travel a bit and not stay in an all inclusive resort.

Been to many a country with that exact type of policies in place....military, personal travel etc...some are over the top and some too soft....but on thier soil it's thier rules and you better understand fully...

Old 12-21-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Couldn’t help but notice nobody answered your question, there is more outdoorsmen voting for bun banning politicians than I would like to believe.
When the liberals come for our firearms, not only will some people gladly turn them over, they will give the police the names of everyone they know that has a firearm. And those people turning over their own firearms, and other firearms owners, probably includes many AO members.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-21-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Been to many a country with that exact type of policies in place....military, personal travel etc...some are over the top and some too soft....but on thier soil it's thier rules and you better understand fully...
True. Liberty isn’t for everybody.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:49 AM

Reading through the thread again it’s clear there is an anti authoritarian, I hate Trudeau and this is just like the terrible new gun restriction law so everyone should refuse to comply and March on it.

This is absolutely not the same thing. The gun law is a ridiculous shot at a far reaching act against law abiding Canadians to pander to city dwelling easterners who know nothing on the topic to gain votes.

The Covid lockdowns are to prevent deaths...to preserve the hospital system from being over run. To bide some more breathing space with a vaccine coming now in months. Covid is real...UK is locking down again, parts of the US is locking down, Italy is locking down, Germany again, Australia again and more. Trudeau isn’t controlling the world. Independent countries with independent healthcare systems are coming to the same conclusion everywhere because that’s the facts and where the data says we need to go.

Masks help to prevent others from getting sick and dying. Your decision to not wear a mask can kill others and is purely selfish. This guys FB post is telling. Rules are in place to help bring the spread of infection down. While a few selfish people refuse not to, and a few uneducated win nut conspiracy fools believe it’s not a real problem so it should be ignored...doesn’t mean it’s not valid and helpful.

Follow the rules. If not then accept the consequences...if you don’t like it vote out Trudeau or whomever. If the majority don’t want to then suck it up and move to Russia because we are a democracy and stuff happens so get over it.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-21-2020, 08:55 AM

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...anti-mask-demo

Maybe next time everyone should get a ticket? Put the money into fish stocking?

One March can raise a lot of cash. Maybe not as much at a skate park, but it all would add up.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:59 AM

I went skating on the Wab yesterday. I'm not too good at negotiating those big cracks, so today I'm going out there with a phone book in the ass of my pants. Good thing 40 plus people can skate there with some distance.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:00 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
The Covid lockdowns are to prevent deaths...to preserve the hospital system from being over run. To bide some more breathing space with a vaccine coming now in months. Covid is real...UK is locking down again, parts of the US is locking down, Italy is locking down, Germany again, Australia again and more. Trudeau isn’t controlling the world. Independent countries with independent healthcare systems are coming to the same conclusion everywhere because that’s the facts and where the data says we need to go.
Independent countries with independent healthcare systems all getting the same grossly inflated numbers.

Of course they will lock things down. They know very well that the sheep would crucify them on election day is they didn't.

I doubt very much that you'll find even one country lead by a Virus scientist. Most don't even know how to choose a good disease scientist to advise them.

Honestly most politicians know politics and not much else.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-21-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Reading through the thread again it’s clear there is an anti authoritarian, I hate Trudeau and this is just like the terrible new gun restriction law so everyone should refuse to comply and March on it.

This is absolutely not the same thing. The gun law is a ridiculous shot at a far reaching act against law abiding Canadians to pander to city dwelling easterners who know nothing on the topic to gain votes.

Masks help to prevent others from getting sick and dying. Your decision to not wear a mask can kill others and is purely selfish. This guys FB post is telling. Rules are in place to help bring the spread of infection down. While a few selfish people refuse not to, and a few uneducated win nut conspiracy fools believe it’s not a real problem so it should be ignored...doesn’t mean it’s not valid and helpful.

Follow the rules. If not then accept the consequences...if you don’t like it vote out Trudeau or whomever. If the majority don’t want to then suck it up and move to Russia because we are a democracy and stuff happens so get over it.

Wow you do just love to blather on Don t you.
Closed Thread