Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Reading this topic from beginning had all the time my own view ...
Don’t want to bother you gentlemen with my resoning...
But I am pretty sure those guys are not acting alone...
Let’s say - it’s gang job...
And.. yes - drunk today- and got long tounge- couldn’t keep it tight....
So - tomorrow if you ask me I won’t even remember why and end even how..I posted it...
I think the law and many people have been thinking this for some time,but the law is keeping tight lipped for very important reason's.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:49 PM

I find the burning of vehicles odd behaviour too. Usually done to destroy DNA and fingerprints. I wonder if other vehicle involved and they are 1000+ kms away.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
My wife and I walked half way to the hot springs and with no one else around she felt uneasy so we turned back. We kept on driving north and heard about that attack which happened the next day after we left. That attack was gruesome.
It's a long enough walk when you are half naked and feeling vulnerable. Always trust the wife's gut; I'm pretty sure they can sense stuff we're not sensitive enough to.

People still carry up there, at least at night.

Was that when the upper pool was "open", or when everything was set up there?

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 07-30-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
Agree
One of the best posts so far
CBC compares them to the Mad Trapper of Rat River but they are just some teenagers who dwell in the basement playing computer games
No comparison
Albert Johnson was "good " if you know what I mean
These losers might be dead already
Sure hope so.
Thanks!

Oh, yeah that guy had crazy skills. To evade, trap to eat, and doing that in a cold snap. The guy was a scumbag alright, but hard to deny that he was cagey and tough.

Pureblood!
Old 07-30-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
Just curious how this military imaging works? If they picking up your heat signal, do they pick up everything that produces some heat, can they differentiate between a human and coyote, wolf or bear? Does the tree canopy matter, can you hide or if they fly over and see your image is it a done deal?
With FLIR, they can even pick up footprints and stuff that was touched in cooler weather. You can see the shapes and resolution pretty well; at least at closer distance. Even details of someone's face, but different if that makes sense. Detects minute gradients of temperature difference. So if you took a thermal image of a face, it could be all different shades of yellow, orange and red, detecting very slight differences in warmth. Tree canopy might affect it, but you could still see through where it's not too thick. If you are not moving around or cooking though, even a thin sheet suspended can shield your heat signature. In essence it sees heat just as we would see colours, just operating at longer wavelength beneath visible light.

With night vision, they gather light and magnify it. The newer systems are very impressive, but it's all monochromatic. I think at longer range that they have an edge in resolution.

But even with the best technology available, you have to consider that it's thick bush, and if you have to grid a radius of even just a few miles, it's a lot of ground to cover. If you aren't flying right over top of them, they could be missed, even if exposed.

Pureblood!
Old 07-30-2019, 05:20 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Ahhh the plot thickens.....someone's gonna make a movie....a epic beauty Canadian leonardo dicaprio.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-30-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Ahhh the plot thickens.....someone's gonna make a movie....a epic beauty Canadian leonardo dicaprio.
I'm sure there will be a documentary, the networks will be fighting over it. Daddy will be well compensated for appearing.

Grizz
Old 07-30-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Thanks!

Oh, yeah that guy had crazy skills. To evade, trap to eat, and doing that in a cold snap. The guy was a scumbag alright, but hard to deny that he was cagey and tough.
As I said in a previous thread, check out the book "descent into madness". Michael Oros was one tough and crazy dude. I'm surprised the story isn't more well known. The officer he killed was actually from Tilley AB.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:10 AM

Mad Trapper was one tough dude, this punks can never match his toughness or skills. He was going over very high mountain range in middle of -50oC winter weather. These dudes will be done before first frost comes in September.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Mad Trapper was one tough dude, this punks can never match his toughness or skills. He was going over very high mountain range in middle of -50oC winter weather. These dudes will be done before first frost comes in September.
hmmm put out a few posters...wanted...dead or alive....put some cash to it too.....another part of the movie.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-30-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Would you work at Walmart knowing you were destined to die or jailed in the very near future? Lol. Not me.
You gotta get money for the canteen fund somewhere.....

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-30-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I agree about the Mad Trapper being one tough dude. If not for planes and radios they wouldn't have got him when they did if ever.

As for these two suspects, I don't think they are anywhere near northern Manitoba. I'd bet they had a second vehicle and were long gone when the burning Rav4 was found.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
Agree
One of the best posts so far
CBC compares them to the Mad Trapper of Rat River but they are just some teenagers who dwell in the basement playing computer games
No comparison
Albert Johnson was "good " if you know what I mean
These losers might be dead already
Sure hope so.
I'm not saying these kids aren't losers, but it's amazing what the internet can teach a person nowadays. Nothing replaces going out and doing the real thing, but studying survival videos could help a few young men prepare for something like this.

Nevertheless, my guess is that they're hunkered down and fairly close to death.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:30 AM

WTF is this world coming to ,there has been at least 5 shootings in the states in the last few days ,cant even look at the news without a shooting somewhere cant wait for hunting season to start ,turn off the internet and hunt for a month.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
As I said in a previous thread, check out the book "descent into madness". Michael Oros was one tough and crazy dude. I'm surprised the story isn't more well known. The officer he killed was actually from Tilley AB.
Oros was a Kentucky born Vietnam draft dodger. And yes dog handler was from Tilley
Old 07-30-2019, 09:59 AM

Here is what I found, about the mad trapper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua_eSFHDVpc
Old 07-30-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K View Post
Oros was a Kentucky born Vietnam draft dodger. And yes dog handler was from Tilley
Yes, Michael Buday was K9 in Terrace when it all happened.
If that .303 hadn't misfired, things would have been way worse for the RCMP, there would have been a few members lose their life that day.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Yes, Michael Buday was K9 in Terrace when it all happened.
If that .303 hadn't misfired, things would have been way worse for the RCMP, there would have been a few members lose their life that day.
It was an Imperial brand 303 round.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
My understanding was he wrote the book before this happened and was planning to release it that week.

(I'm not sure if that is correct as there is a lot of misinfo out there) But that makes it even more suspicious.
What !!! No !!! everything I read on FB and outdoors forums is absolute!
Old 07-30-2019, 10:56 AM

Default Call in the hunters.

I think it's time to gather together a group of local experienced hunters, and let them have a crack at this for a few days. I fully support the RCMP, but bringing in some extra "bush" experience certainly couldn't hurt. Another question I have is why those who 'apparently' spotted the two at York Landing, didn't proceed to follow them or pursue them. Yes, apparently the two are "armed and dangerous", but goodness, they're not Carlos Hathcock and Vassili Seizef!
Old 07-30-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I agree about the Mad Trapper being one tough dude. If not for planes and radios they wouldn't have got him when they did if ever.

As for these two suspects, I don't think they are anywhere near northern Manitoba. I'd bet they had a second vehicle and were long gone when the burning Rav4 was found.
One plane. And Wop May used to keep it at the Snye in McMurray from time to
time. Always loved taking off from the snye in my Dad planes knowing the rich history of the area. Oh sorry, back to our scheduled program. Where are those rat bastard kids now anyways???
Old 07-30-2019, 11:47 AM

CBC: Former Sudbury, Ont., man helped B.C. homicide suspects just 2 days before they were wanted

Quote:
A former Sudbury, Ont., man now living in Alberta helped two men get their vehicle out of the mud just a couple of days before they became the subjects of a Canada-wide hunt in connection with three homicides in British Columbia.

On Sunday, July 21, Tommy Ste-Croix of Cold Lake was visiting his brother in the northeastern Alberta city around 9:30 a.m. MT when his brother's wife mentioned she saw a vehicle stuck in a muddy field on a nearby property, half an hour after first noticing it.

Around 10 a.m., Ste-Croix decided he would go out to help the two get the vehicle out of the mud.

"Mom and dad's going to be ****ed," Ste-Croix told the two men as he drove up. He said he figured they were local teens out for a rip in their parents' Toyota RAV4, which was stuck and covered in mud.

"They looked at me and said, 'No, mom and dad told me to go for a long joy ride," Ste-Croix said.

He said the three of them then laughed.

"You could tell they were nervous."

Ste-Croix said the men thanked him, shook his hand and told him their real names: Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky. That same day, the two were reportedly seen driving the same-year Toyota RAV4 in Meadow Lake, Sask., about 150 km east of Cold Lake.

Just two days later, Manitoba RCMP announced McLeod and Schmegelsky, who had just been considered missing, were in fact suspects in the B.C. homicides.

"I couldn't believe it. My jaw dropped," Ste-Croix said. He then notified police about his encounter with the two.

"They were polite with me. You know if they really, really wanted me, I could be dead," he said.

"They had the opportunity to grab the truck. I was alone with them. I was behind the SUV tying it up and they pretty much had a brand new truck to take off with. My wallet was in there. But they didn't."
Old 07-30-2019, 11:49 AM

Sure seems like they wanted to play a cat and mouse game in the bushes. Or why wouldn't they have murdered that guy and took his vehicle?
Old 07-30-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
I think it's time to gather together a group of local experienced hunters, and let them have a crack at this for a few days. I fully support the RCMP, but bringing in some extra "bush" experience certainly couldn't hurt. Another question I have is why those who 'apparently' spotted the two at York Landing, didn't proceed to follow them or pursue them. Yes, apparently the two are "armed and dangerous", but goodness, they're not Carlos Hathcock and Vassili Seizef!
This isn't a search and rescue, 99.9% of hunters have not had someone point a gun at them, let alone someone who is hiding and will probably kill you.

No disrespect, but this is VERY different than hunting an animal.

I get it, its frustrating seeing "no progress", but sending inexperienced (re:fugitive hunting) people into the woods, is a bad idea.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
This isn't a search and rescue, 99.9% of hunters have not had someone point a gun at them, let alone someone who is hiding and will probably kill you.

No disrespect, but this is VERY different than hunting an animal.

I get it, its frustrating seeing "no progress", but sending inexperienced (re:fugitive hunting) people into the woods, is a bad idea.
No kidding. I assumed he was saying it tongue in cheek.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:59 AM

Let’s see if we can get man tracker out of retirement.🤔
Old 07-30-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Here is what I found, about the mad trapper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua_eSFHDVpc
Read "The Mad Trapper of Rat River".
Old 07-30-2019, 12:06 PM
Banned

I don't understand why they are pulling resources out of York Landing if they believe that the sighting was "credible". Either they believe that the two were spotted or they don't. Maybe the terrain is too difficult to search and they did all that they could do to find them? Anyway, I think that they won't be found unless they want to be found, or, someone stumbles upon them by accident. How would anyone even know where to search. IMO it's probably best to just wait them out anyway.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
No kidding. I assumed he was saying it tongue in cheek.
ah damn. yeah that makes sense. lack of sleep > reading..
Old 07-30-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I don't understand why they are pulling resources out of York Landing if they believe that the sighting was "credible". Either they believe that the two were spotted or they don't. Maybe the terrain is too difficult to search and they did all that they could do to find them? Anyway, I think that they won't be found unless they want to be found, or, someone stumbles upon them by accident. How would anyone even know where to search. IMO it's probably best to just wait them out anyway.
What about saying they are taking them out yet keeping a few people in hidden spots to coax them out of hiding? Kind of like a gopher. Back away and see if they will poke their head out.