Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-01-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by sheephunter:
Quote:
Did I say it was...I was just bringing a fact to the board that obviously some are unaware of. Sometimes a fact is just a fact...in fact, with me it always is!
Confused here. Are you saying that everything you state is fact?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:02 PM

So if a grant was approved for April 2006 could it have been applied for in late 2005? Does anyone know how long these grant aplications take to get approved?

http://www.ab-conservation.com/grant...%20version.doc

9. Synopsis of Approved Projects for 2006 – 2007

Increasing public access for wildlife-related recreation on private lands: A review and assessment of practices

Project Location: Focus is on Alberta
Identifying Code: 030 60 90 102
Funding Allocation: $17,600.00

Principal Investigator: Cormack Gates
Contact Information: University of Calgary, Faculty of Environmental Design
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4
Email: ladowney@ucalgary.ca
Telephone: 403-278-5879

ACA Grant Status: Extended

Project Objective(s):
In collaboration with Alberta Habitat Working Group (ABHWG), this research will involve compiling knowledge on and reviewing the range of programs used by wildlife agencies in the northwestern US and western Canadian provinces, and an assessment of options that may be applicable, useful, and feasible in the Alberta context. A body of knowledge will be generated that will support informed dialogue on enhancing public access for wildlife-related recreation to private lands in the province. The results of this work will provide background information to the subcommittee of ABHWG that is addressing the issue of wildlife-related recreation access to private lands.

Activities:
1) Review of current programs offered, evaluated or planned in the NW US and Western Canadian provinces.
2) Review current programs, policies, legislation and regulations, and issues pertaining to public access to private lands for wildlife-related activities in Alberta.
3) Assessment of program options that may be applicable, useful, and feasible in the Alberta context. This will be achieved by discussing the information obtained from the two reviews with key informants and through focus group meetings. Key informants and focus groups will be identified through consultation with the ABHWG sub-committee.

Link with ACA Priorities for 2006-2007:
1) This project directly supports development of opportunities to enhance consumptive and non-consumptive wildlife related recreational experiences for all Albertans (Wildlife Objective #5) by: consolidating information on existing practices by wildlife agencies and assessing the options and applicability in Alberta. These products can be used by the ACA, conservation and landowner organizations, and Alberta Fish and Wildlife to inform dialogue on program development concerned with public access for wildlife-related recreation to private lands in the province.

2) This project directly supports the commitment of the ACAs Habitat Program to provide sustainable recreational opportunities and to “secure, develop, protect and maintain high-priority wildlife and fisheries habitats and habitats that provide recreational opportunities” (Habitat Objective #4), by focusing on management tools that may be used to improve landowner/leaseholder and the public’s sense of value of wildlife on private lands and leases, and to enhance public access for wildlife-related recreation to these lands.

Partnerships:
ACA, the Hunting for Tomorrow Foundation and ASRD – Fish and Wildlife. A graduate scholarship has been provided by EVDS

Deliverables:
This project has received a year long extension due to staffing problems. Below are the anticipated deliverables:
1) Review of current programs offered or planned, and existing program evaluations in north-western states and provinces. Anticipated completion of draft report: November 2007.

2) Review of current programs, policies, legislation and regulation pertaining to public access to private lands for wildlife-related activities in Alberta. Anticipated completion of draft: January 2008.

3) Assessment of options for Alberta. Anticipated completion of draft: March 2008.

4) Publication of an article in a peer reviewed Journal (e.g. Human Ecology). Anticipated submission of paper: November 2008.

GECF History with project:
This is the first year of funding for this project.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

I don't understand sometimes how posts lose their focus. He made a statement regarding the inactivity of the government during an election - which is relevant to this OS thread. We are all concerned hunters and anglers and every piece of info helps.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 03-01-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:12 PM
sheephunter

Quote:

Unless it's an opinion yup....I think it was pretty obvious that that was just a fact relevant to this discussion though. And what does your comment have to do with this thread?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:14 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
So if a grant was approved for April 2006 could it have been applied for in late 2005? Does anyone know how long these grant aplications take to get approved?
ACA grant applications are due Jan 31 of each year and decisions on sucessful apllicants are usually made within a couple months.

** pleae note chuck that this is a fact.....

Last edited by sheephunter; 03-01-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Unless it's an opinion yup....I think it was pretty obvious that that was just a fact relevant to this discussion though. And what does your comment have to do with this thread?
I didn't say that it did. Did I say yours didn't?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
One thing that everyone needs to remember is that as soon as an election is called, basically all government stops working and by law there are no members of the Legislative Assembly until the results of the election become official. Basically no one has the power to do anything as there is no Legislative Assembly.
I'm not sure how this is relevant?

Are you suggesting that men running for office cannot form an opinion?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I have been told that you're never wrong. Now I believe it.

Is it a fact that my name is really Chucky?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:28 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I didn't say that it did. Did I say yours didn't?
Nope...but then I guess the question begs asking...why did you post it on an important thread like this where it appears that everyone else has been bringing rellevant info. Maybe in future if your point is just taking pot shots at me....we could do it via PM and not distract from important issues like this?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:29 PM
chevy427

Quote:
ACA grant applications are due Jan 31 of each year and decisions on sucessful apllicants are usually made within a couple months.

It isn't that great a fact - you have the application date right, but you say it's done within a couple months.

The ACA website says: Applicants will be notified of status of their submission by March 15, 2008
And I would only consider this a fact if I talked with the ACA directly to confirm.

I understand what you meant about the government not being able to do anything though - but they might be listening more now when they want your vote.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:29 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy ike View Post
I'm not sure how this is relevant?

Are you suggesting that men running for office cannot form an opinion?
I'm not suggesting anything Ike....I was just bringing a fact forward about how, by law, the government works during an election. A lot of people aren't aware of it.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Don't both of these gentlemen belong to the same religion?
Can you name the last man the held a seat in that riding that wasn't a Mormon?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:32 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I have been told that you're never wrong. Now I believe it.

Is it a fact that my name is really Chucky?
Not sure what your real name is but if you prefer that I call you chucky I can...please let me know in a pm. Not sure who told you that I'm never wrong but I can assure you they are wrong. I was corrected just a day or two ago about the sheep draws on here. I come here to learn....not sure about your motivation.

Last edited by sheephunter; 03-01-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:33 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy427 View Post
It isn't that great a fact - you have the application date right, but you say it's done within a couple months.

The ACA website says: Applicants will be notified of status of their submission by March 15, 2008
And I would only consider this a fact if I talked with the ACA directly to confirm.

I understand what you meant about the government not being able to do anything though - but they might be listening more now when they want your vote.
They are notified within 6 weeks which by definition falls within a two month span...isn't that what I said?????
Old 03-01-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
A lot of people aren't aware of it.
I certainly wasn't able to draw this conclusion given the posts on this thread but we digress
Old 03-01-2008, 01:35 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I would suggest that they listen more at this point than any other.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:36 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy ike View Post
I certainly wasn't able to draw this conclusion given the posts on this thread but we digress
Yes we do digress....I posted a fact...nothing more...some people know that fact and some don't....why all bs that followed. It was a simple fact...sheesh
Gone Hunting

On the previous page Sniper quoted the Leth. Herald article. and :

"Southern Alberta hunters are also up in arms about “paid hunting,” the forum learned. A Tory plan, spearheaded by Calgary-area MLA Ted Morton, would see landowners collect fees from hunters in specified areas."

Is this some new program that has just come up? Surely they are not describing Open Spaces in this way. Kind of tuff for the average hunter to have an opinion if they are getting false information from the media.

Robin
chevy427

Quote:
I would suggest that they listen more at this point than any other.
I agree.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:45 PM
bubbasno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post

"Southern Alberta hunters are also up in arms about “paid hunting,” the forum learned. A Tory plan, spearheaded by Calgary-area MLA Ted Morton, would see landowners collect fees from hunters in specified areas."

Is this some new program that has just come up? Surely they are not describing Open Spaces in this way. Kind of tuff for the average hunter to have an opinion if they are getting false information from the media.

Robin
Duffy,

Yes they are describing OS. HFH tags are paid for directly from hunter/outfitter to landowner. Is this not correct?

Bubba
Old 03-01-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
sheephunter thanks for clearing that up. The way I do my math from the idea stage to a proposal would put the start date of this whole mess sometime in the later part of 2005. Anyone that was at the meeting in Lethbridge remember Cormacks little time line blurb about when this started. I thought he said the spring of 2006 but I could be wrong.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:50 PM
chevy427

Quote:

Robin
I don't know who sold you on this whole deal, but despite the honeyed lies of the Government Duffy you can't trust them like there your Mommy.
By the way you talk Open Spaces is going to stop world hunger and cure cancer.

I have some ocean front property at Oyen if your interested.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:00 PM
SNIPER

Quote:

Robin
Robin, the air must be thin in Rocky. When you buy a tag from a landowner this is paying a fee to hunt. But I suppose you may think that paying for that tag only gets you a piece of wire with a sticky back piece of paper, and the access and right to hunt are free. It looks to me like tunnel vision, which is caused by a narrow mind. Which may be a symptom of someone who won't stand up for what he believes in.

Last edited by SNIPER; 03-01-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:41 PM

Default Open spaces

Mr. Jacobs told me he did not have enough info on the matter to say anything about it. But If he was elected he would learn about itand then do what the govt. says anyway. The only thing the govt. is concerned about around here is that P. Hinman is the M.L.A. and kinda of a thorn in their side.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:46 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceba View Post
sheephunter thanks for clearing that up. The way I do my math from the idea stage to a proposal would put the start date of this whole mess sometime in the later part of 2005. Anyone that was at the meeting in Lethbridge remember Cormacks little time line blurb about when this started. I thought he said the spring of 2006 but I could be wrong.
Your math sounds about right. I actually thought this whole process began in early 2007 so I learned something today. I know Morton referenced compensating landowner for habitat and access in his speech at the 2007 AFGA conference and received a standing ovation from the delegates but that was the first indication of it that I can recall. Interesting that the grant dates back to March 2006.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Banned

The way Duffy describes OS would be akin to a Lady of the night saying the fun is free, but the conversation costs $200/Hour. We all know what we are paying for

Just having some fun with you Duff.

Jamie
Old 03-01-2008, 04:49 PM
bubbasno1

Default Response from Stelmach

We have finally gotten a response from Premier Stelmach in regards to the Open Spaces pilot project.

He has committed to bring this back to caucus if they are re-elected.

I would encourage you to ask your local MLA what their position is on this proposal, and how they would approach it if it goes back to caucus.

More to come.

Bubba
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Response from Stelmach.pdf (61.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-01-2008, 04:53 PM
340wtby

Good for Stelmach, at least his ears work!
Old 03-01-2008, 04:56 PM
340wtby

Thanks Bubba, you have delivered more facts and info on OSA then anyone else. We are lucky to have you.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:10 PM

Wow Bubba thanks, that certainly looks to be a chink in the OS armour. Lets exploit it.

There are no absolutes