Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 04:18 PM
Banned

*looks back through thread*

Hope no one has posted this yet.

*double checks*

https://mobile.twitter.com/NoticiasVirus

Watch the videos, people loading their cars with food, one person laying on their bags of rice (I assume) while someone tries to take them. Shutting down use of private vehicles.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
*looks back through thread*

Hope no one has posted this yet.

*double checks*

https://mobile.twitter.com/NoticiasVirus

Watch the videos, people loading their cars with food, one person laying on their bags of rice (I assume) while someone tries to take them. Shutting down use of private vehicles.
Even if only some of this is real wow.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:12 PM

7:15 am Jan 26

18 new coronavirus cases were confirmed on Jan 25 in Jiangxi Province, taking the total number of the province to 36; 3 new coronavirus cases were reported on Jan 25 in Shanxi Province; total number rose to 9 in the province.

7:05 am Jan 26

Hubei Province, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak, added 323 new confirmed infection cases on Jan 25. It also reported 13 new deaths. A total of 1,052 cases of coronavirus have been reported as of Jan 25 in the province, with 129 in critical condition, 52 deaths and 85 recovered.

6:46 am Jan 26

10 new coronavirus cases were reported in Beijing from 5:00 pm to 11:00 pm Jan 25; total number of infection rose to 51 in the city.

9:30 pm Jan 25

As of 6 pm Saturday, 1,372 confirmed cases of Wuhan Coronavirus nationwide, 41 deaths.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:25 PM

I think it is 1,438 worldwide now.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:26 PM

Confirmed case in Toronto. Now 54 dead, 1600 confirmed cases now. That brings it to 3.4% mortality rate, and now it's confirmed here at home in Canada. Tick-tock. Not over-exaggerating how big this will be, or fear mongering. This is real deal, and just getting started! Troll away if you must. I'll stick with it. I saw the numbers from the get go, and they are surpassing my initial pessimistic thoughts. Studies estimate only 5.1% of cases have been reported, so..... putting wrap #32 on my hat.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-25-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Confirmed case in Toronto. Now 54 dead, 1600 confirmed cases now. That brings it to 3.4% mortality rate, and now it's confirmed here at home in Canada. Tick-tock. Not over-exaggerating how big this will be, or fear mongering. This is real deal, and just getting started! Troll away if you must. I'll stick with it. I saw the numbers from the get go, and they are surpassing my initial pessimistic thoughts. Studies estimate only 5.1% of cases have been reported, so..... putting wrap #32 on my hat.
Just pace yourself. Miles to go before you sleep and at this rate you are going to burn yourself out.
As knowledgeable as you seem to be, Is any of it within your control?
What are your next steps to save yourself and your family?
No disrespect intended.
I am going to spend some of my potential final days in the sun and do some fishing.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:05 PM

How do you find a peer reviewed journal when they don’t even know the exact strain or exactly where it come from? It is changing daily. Better to be a bit prepared than caught with your pants down. No need for anyone to panic but being prepared is never a bad thing.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Just pace yourself. Miles to go before you sleep and at this rate you are going to burn yourself out.
As knowledgeable as you seem to be, Is any of it within your control?
What are your next steps to save yourself and your family?
No disrespect intended.
I am going to spend some of my potential final days in the sun and do some fishing.
I am just following it closely. No real steps taken, except masks and a bit of extra non perishables. I know it's out of my control. Just keeping an eye on it, and sharing.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I am just following it closely. No real steps taken, except masks and a bit of extra non perishables. I know it's out of my control. Just keeping an eye on it, and sharing.
Plus limit exposure, don't go anywhere you absolutely do not have to while it is an issue, keep immunity high.

I don't understand why some people think you have to run through life with your eyes closed, hands over your ears shouting so you can't hear anything and then bitch at everyone else.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-25-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Cool Beans.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
And just to be clear... some of us here appreciate your posts keeping us all in the loop on something that is beyond our knowledge...
Thank you bloopbloob
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 01-25-2020, 06:20 PM

No cars starting Sunday morning in Wuhan which is right now our time aloud to travel the streets within the city,so where ever you are in that city you walk or stay put.

I think other cities already locked down will have this also put in place,that will be from 11 million to 25 million with no means of transportation, so there trying contain it.

For those who do get sick getting medical attention just got harder and if they do have the virus where ever they live with or live near will get it if no correct diagnosis is given to them.

Lots cases coming in is just the plain flu ,but once exposed to others in hospitals they get it also,so it's a catch 22.

If it's just the flu the Chinese government is probably thinking also that to many who just have the plain flu are walking into a viral war zone .In a city that size there has to be tons of cases of just the plain flu ,so no one gets to move around unless your on foot or pedal bike.The ambulance service must be swamped or halted?

JD
Old 01-25-2020, 06:24 PM

That twitter page posted above is creepy.

Seems like a horror movie just starting out.

Wonder whens the time to quit going to work and hunkering down here... 🤔

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
And just to be clear... some of us here appreciate your posts keeping us all in the loop on something that is beyond our knowledge...
Thank you bloopbloob
Zip
Thanks. I've been tempted to just abandon this thread. I am following this outbreak closely, and might know a little bit about what I'm saying. Another member has Pm'd me with the same, and I appreciate it. I don't appreciate being picked apart by a few, and normally would just go on a time out for a bit. I have nothing to gain by sharing my educated opinion. Only reason I'm still involved, is how serious I feel this is, just from preliminary information.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:33 PM

We’re planning our honeymoon to Spain in April. Looking to fly into Paris, train to Barcelona. Drive all over Spain/Portugal, fly into London and home. Flights haven’t been booked yet but this has given me pause. Going to wait 2-3 weeks before we book just to see how this plays out. Is it another SARS, H1N1, Swine, Avian Flu that turned out to not be the end of days? Or is the start of the second coming of the Spanish Flu or Black Plague?
Old 01-25-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I've been tempted to just abandon this thread. I am following this outbreak closely, and might know a little bit about what I'm saying. Another member has Pm'd me with the same, and I appreciate it. I don't appreciate being picked apart by a few, and normally would just go on a time out for a bit. I have nothing to gain by sharing my educated opinion. Only reason I'm still involved, is how serious I feel this is, just from preliminary information.
I for one, appreciate your opinion on this. I have a scientific education/background so I know you’re not just fear mongering or pulling things out of your arse. It’s nice to see it simplified in your words rather than digging through all the news and noise.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Keep posting bloop. Its good to hear an educated opinion on what is possible.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:45 PM

The 24-hour round up:

8:45 am Jan 26

Wuhan Coronavirus update as of 24:00 Jan 25:

New cases: 688

New deaths: 15 (13 from Hubei, 1 from Shanghai, 1 from Henan)

Total cases: 1975

Total deaths: 56
Old 01-25-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
We’re planning our honeymoon to Spain in April. Looking to fly into Paris, train to Barcelona. Drive all over Spain/Portugal, fly into London and home. Flights haven’t been booked yet but this has given me pause. Going to wait 2-3 weeks before we book just to see how this plays out. Is it another SARS, H1N1, Swine, Avian Flu that turned out to not be the end of days? Or is the start of the second coming of the Spanish Flu or Black Plague?
Who knows. Personally, I am leaning towards the former (SARS, etc). Lots here seem to be worried. I would definitely hold off buying the tickets a week or two though.

Ain’t no way it will be Spanish Flu or Black Death like event, in my opinion.

I did check if I have some masks left though, lol. I do, but not sure if they are the right ones. Anyone knows if this are the “good” ones?

Also, do these masks have an expiry date?
Old 01-25-2020, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Who knows. Personally, I am leaning towards the former (SARS, etc). Lots here seem to be worried. I would definitely hold off buying the tickets a week or two though.

Ain’t no way it will be Spanish Flu or Black Death like event, in my opinion.

I did check if I have some masks left though, lol. I do, but not sure if they are the right ones. Anyone knows if this are the “good” ones?

Also, do these masks have an expiry date?
Ask Zip and blopblopblop
Old 01-25-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Ask Zip and blopblopblop
Sure! Happy to answer. Those are hygienic masks. Level three, and should work just fine. A virus is not airborne alone, it is attached to something (like saliva or mucous), so that is what you are trying to filter. Why you gotta be a Jerk?
BFE is biological filtration efficiency
PFE is Particulate filtration efficiency

Last edited by bloopbloob; 01-25-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:10 PM

Chinese Nurse Claims Around 90,000 People Have Been Infected By The Coronavirus!

Awesome

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-25-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Chinese Nurse Claims Around 90,000 People Have Been Infected By The Coronavirus!

Awesome
Tip of the iceburg Ken.... I'm not over exaggerating how this is going to turn out. The numbers are scary, R=4 and we have a 2 week incubation. Ain't seen nothing yet....
Old 01-25-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Tip of the iceburg Ken.... I'm not over exaggerating how this is going to turn out. The numbers are scary, R=4 and we have a 2 week incubation. Ain't seen nothing yet....
I was talking with another member, just a simple equation on a single plane with 300 people on it. If 1 has it 300 are subject to it. 300 have contact with 300 who have contact with 300.

That's 27,000,000, from a single widebody plane.

Worst case scenario, but still a scenario.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:50 PM

^ Except that’s it’s not how it works.

Where is this R=4 coming from? Sorry I haven’t read through the last couple of pages.

According to the official reports, it appears the number of infected increases by just about over 1.5 every 24 hours, pretty consistently I should add.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
How do you find a peer reviewed journal when they don’t even know the exact strain or exactly where it come from? It is changing daily. Better to be a bit prepared than caught with your pants down. No need for anyone to panic but being prepared is never a bad thing.
This is what I’m talking about. Informative, and not sensationalized https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2000929
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001017
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill

Last edited by raab; 01-25-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Sure! Happy to answer. Those are hygienic masks. Level three, and should work just fine. A virus is not airborne alone, it is attached to something (like saliva or mucous), so that is what you are trying to filter. Why you gotta be a Jerk?
BFE is biological filtration efficiency
PFE is Particulate filtration efficiency
Thanks, man!

P. S. Is this question about being a jerk refers to me?
Old 01-25-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks, man!

No sorry, it's directed at WhitetailAb. Throw Raab in there too...

Biggest issue with that style mask is making sure it's fitting tight...
Old 01-25-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Ask Zip and blopblopblop
Appreciate that... makes me warm all over knowing you agree with blop and myself.. I can only speak for myself but somehow I feel good now.
Thanks for the referral
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 01-25-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks, man!

No, it was for WhitetailAB. He's strutting a personal vendetta against bloob. I haven't banned him yet cause, well....I have no power.