Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-03-2011, 07:43 PM

Hopefully going out tomorrow. Gonna check the bush. Already checked the bush line/rub lines and hay stacks and grain bins/drier. No luck. Any tips?
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 PM

Default matched sheds score

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
wow nice find,no idea what that thing scores...181" Gross...

Congrats on finding the Match!
Not too bad on the guess, especially since it is hard to tell from that pic. He grosses 185 4/8" giving him a 17" spread. That was with about 8" broke off so should be interesting this year.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic6 View Post
Hopefully going out tomorrow. Gonna check the bush. Already checked the bush line/rub lines and hay stacks and grain bins/drier. No luck. Any tips?
I have alot of luck on southwest facing hillsides.I have also found many laying under big spruce trees where they have bedded down in the afternoon sun.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I spend the majority of my time looking in feeding and bedding areas... once those are checked I start walking through the bush but it's basically just luck in there (for me anyway). Feed, bedding and travel routes will probably be your best bet... rub line would be a waste of time IMO as those are made in Nov and deer don't "rub" their antlers off.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
.I have also found many laying under big spruce trees where they have bedded down in the afternoon sun.
This is a great year to look under those big evergreens. If you are in an area with just a few random spruce trees, look under each one.

Very little snow hits the ground under them, creating a popular bedding site.

In an area of aspen forest I look for sheds in, there are a few big spruce trees every few hundred yards. Some years, I find a shed or more under every one.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Banned

First I find where the deer are this time of year. Drive by's and seeing them out in fields or in big coulee's. Then I hit those spots. I find cloudy days better for seeing the sheds as there is less shadows/glare. Glass areas when you get a vantage point. Walk and when it looks like a good spot, stop and spend a few seconds looking all around.

I found ten wt sheds two nights ago in about an hour and a half, nothing real big though. Snow is mostly all gone now. Tons of moose sign too but do you think I could find a shed? No way.

Great pics guys.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:09 PM

Default Todays Sheds

What a great day for shed'n . It was mostly full cloud cover all morning until about 1:00 when the sun came out and it got up to +15. I went to see if i could the other side of the big 6 point Muley shed i found last week but no luck.
5 in all today.

This match set would have had some character before the rodents chewed them.

Small whitetail.

First Moose of the year.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:01 AM

Great Job Springer! way to keep looking. im pretty well done this year, them weekends are piling up with stuff to do but i think im going to go out 1 more time. best of luck!
Old 05-06-2011, 12:39 AM

Only been out half-heartedly twice so far, and the only sheds I've found are still attached to skulls.

Here's a nice little WT from the weekend.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhunter66 View Post
Great Job Springer! way to keep looking. im pretty well done this year, them weekends are piling up with stuff to do but i think im going to go out 1 more time. best of luck!

Well things are going to start greening up fast and that willbe theend of my shed hunting for the year as well , not that i ever stop looking while out of town.
I have one more spot to hit in a week or os that was holding lots of snow but also tons of trails.. Best of luck to the rest of ya'all as well on your shed hunts..

Hmmm still not one picture post from Shedcrazy of his sheds .??
Old 05-07-2011, 01:30 PM

went out this morning for a little coyote calling and no luck, so I decided to do some shed hunting and came up with this 8pt whitetail skull....I was so excited as it was my first shed find!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 04:22 PM

Real nice set of antler's there. Nice and wide, no broken points that I can see. But, these are not shed's as their still attached to the skull. I think you might have to get a permit to keep them.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:27 PM

10-4 on that sir!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 05:05 PM

Way to go Scooter !! Kinda cool when you come across some bone like that hey. The Critters & bugs were even kind enough to clean most of it up. A visit to the pressure washer will clean off any leftovers there may be.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:22 PM

It was very very clean.....its been there for a few years by the looks of the white color in the antlers..!!! There was no other bones to be seen in the area!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 06:29 PM

10 from today.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww2269 View Post
I have half a dozen or so bucks hanging out back and only one has droped his antlers. He lost one about dec 17th and just lost the other on Jan 2nd. These sheds arent mine but i wish they were.
unreal, farmed much...... very nice sheds all
Old 05-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Gone Hunting

Went out with the little brother last weekend for a day. I found 63 sheds, consisting of 1 mule rack, 3 whitetail sheds, 4 elk sheds and the remainder mules. Little bro ended up with a hair over 80 sheds, 4 whitetail 2 elk and the rest mules. Best sheds are from 180 to 185 inch caliber mules, a handful of non typ stuff, some good brown, a fair bit of chalk white. Elk sheds all small 5 and 6 point stuff. Could only pack so many, weight becomes an issue lots of culling, over 25km of ground covered and mighty tired. Ended up with about 25 sheds on our backs by the time we were back at the truck. Sorry, no pics, little bro had a lighter camera so photos are missing in action until I can get ahold of them. First trip of the year always has to be a power march/survival scenario,,, not sure why LOL, but gotta burn the cabin fever off somehow. Not as tough as a guy was when he was young. Took me 4 days to recover LOL.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 05-08-2011, 09:36 AM

As I found them.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Old 05-08-2011, 09:38 AM

Thats awesome! I sure wish the big one I found this year had shed like that.....then I would have both sides and have an idea on the spread to what I would guess is a 190+ class white-tail.....

Lefty
Old 05-08-2011, 10:38 PM

Fiiiinally found my first shed ever! Under a spruce tree on a game trail, like said above

Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Old 05-09-2011, 06:47 PM

Me and my dad found 4 more this weekends in a new spot as well as a couple skulls. I'm up to 34 for the year which was last years final count and i still have a couple spots to check yet, so I'm hopeful that i might break 40. But no moose sheds, i can't figure those stupid things out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg may 7 sheds.JPG (160.7 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg may 7 skull.JPG (179.3 KB, 125 views)
Old 05-09-2011, 06:59 PM

has anyone here ever found sheds in summer time as well, or is it just a spring time thing shed hunting?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
has anyone here ever found sheds in summer time as well, or is it just a spring time thing shed hunting?
Well you can find sheds basically all year around. Not all of them are ever going to be picked up, just in the summer I would figure its alot harder, the grass will be pretty tall.
Going out sunday for the 2nd time this year boys, makes it hard to get out when your hunting area is 3 hours away but we will post pics if we find any!!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Fiiiinally found my first shed ever! Under a spruce tree on a game trail, like said above
See, I wasn't joking. I guess this secret is out. I'll travel the trails and go from spruce to spruce, checking every one out.

And a great shed for the first! Measure him up....
Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
See, I wasn't joking. I guess this secret is out. I'll travel the trails and go from spruce to spruce, checking every one out.

Ahh crap! I was gonna do that tonight. Got distracted. I'll measure er up tomorrow after work.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 AM

highlites from MB

I didn't pick up as many this year as others but did pick up some good quality. Ended up with 38.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Most people look in the spring as that's is when the sheds are fresh and still have the dark color. I think sheds are easier to find in the summer as they are whiter from laying in the sun and stand out more, but they don't have the same appeal as finding the darker ones.

Nice finds CWC!
Old 05-10-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I've found the odd one while deer hunting in november.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

I always check under spruce tree's while shed hunting.