Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-19-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Actually I don't hate them at all. I believe they deserve there own seprate season as well. But they definatly aren't archery equipement .
Guess they should take away a few weeks of bow season then and hand it over to primitive weapons.....
Or 2 weeks bow,2 weeks xbolt,2 weeks muzzleloader!
Everybody happy...
Old 12-19-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Guess they should take away a few weeks of bow season then and hand it over to primitive weapons.....
Or 2 weeks bow,2 weeks xbolt,2 weeks muzzleloader!Everybody happy...
Not a chance,you will still have the traditional bow hunters and traditional muzzleloader hunters feeling that they deserve their own seasons,separate from the compound bows,and scoped inline muzzleloaders.

Every time someone comes along with a new idea,they expect everyone else to make changes to accept that idea.It's just like changing our customs,traditions and laws to accommodate the new immigrants to Canada,that have different customs and traditions.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
As was posted earlier,there is a huge variation in crossbows and their capabilities.You own an old technology 150lb recurve crossbow that is not in the same league as the new crossbows that can drive a 425gr bolt at over 400fps.That 400+fps crossbow may have as much penetration at 70 yards,as yours does at 40 yards.As such,that particular crossbow might be very effective on big game at 70 yards.
Maybe that's why I don't see a huge advantage comparing a compound bow with my crossbow. A crossbow with a killing range out to 70 yards would definitely be a huge advantage over a compound bow and even my crossbow. That's a whole different ball of wax and something that I'll definitely research.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
A crossbow with a killing range out to 70 yards would definitely be a huge advantage over a compound bow and even my crossbow. That's a whole different ball of wax and something that I'll definitely research.
So would knowing that there are crossbows with an effective range of 70 yards change your opinion on this topic?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:16 PM

Default get it done

I have only scanned over a few pages of this thread, mostly because here we are again as a communtiy fighting amoung our selfs. It's always the same old crap again and again.

Some people here must not have ever learned how to respect each other or have learned to share.

Just for the record-I am all for a cross bow season whether it is placed with the normal bow season, or a late season thing.

lake side............
Old 12-19-2010, 07:18 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
So would knowing that there are crossbows with an effective range of 70 yards change your opinion on this topic?
Lots of guys shoot 70+ yards with compounds these days...no real news there. It just takes some practice. I know a couple very accomplished bow hunters that are well practiced to 100 yards. Check out Youtube, there are loads of long range shooters with both compound and x-bow. The short bolt of the crossbow is horribly inefficient moving through the air...just like a low BC on a bullet. It might start faster but...well you know, I don't need to explain it to you.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Overall, yeah, maybe. That's a pretty big advantage. I just want to check what my fps is to compare with the newer more powerful crossbows.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:28 PM
sheephunter

The super fast crossbows have been a horrific failure for the most part. Typically very inaccurate and very prone to failure. While possibly new technology....it's far from perfected.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Lots of guys shoot 70+ yards with compounds these days...no real news there. It just takes some practice. I know a couple very accomplished bow hunters that are well practiced to 100 yards. Check out Youtube, there are loads of long range shooters with both compound and x-bow.
The thing here, is that the archers really are putting on a display... The xgun guys, just some more shooters....

******Countdown to 2012! Join the xbow mulie malitia!! Meeting at your local bar, we will be talking about mismanagement, and you guessed it, more mismanagement!! Then were gonna go blow some bolts through some smasher open country mule deer!!******* LOLOLOL!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
So far, no, but I'll keep researching later on.

Here's the first article that I found regarding effective distances, energy, etc of a modern day crossbow.

ALSO it compares a crossbow to a compound bow.

I found it an interesting read and I'd encourage anyone interested to have a look.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/product...rformance.html
Old 12-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Gone Hunting

All of this data and numbers means NOTHING. I wouldnt give you a pinch of coon sh*t for it boys! Your not exposing yourself to game, drawing in the presece of game, and do not have to hold that power in the presence of game! Think about form, proper shooting techniques, none of these 20 odd things an archer has to do in the first 3 seconds would any xgun hunter even have to worry him or herself with. They are not archery equipment, and thus do NOT belong in an ARCHERY HUNT. Real simple stuff.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-19-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Actually I don't hate them at all. I believe they deserve there own seprate season as well. But they definatly aren't archery equipement .
Ya, just after ML's, even though they precede ML's by what - several centuries, and thus are far more "primitive" than ML's? But you'd put them at the bottom of the season list - by your own words!

Let's face it, some of you "archers" are just afraid of us who enjoy the unique challenges of using crossBOWs

By the way, to set the record straight, and I've said this before in other threads on this topic, I am an recurve ARCHER, at least before I messed up my elbow and haven't been able to draw my 55 lb recurve for several months now. In fact, I couldn't even cock my Excalibur Phoenix crossBOW, even using the cocking aid, so I just rifle hunted this past season - and that was fun too!

I've also believe compounds give more of an unfair advantage over traditional archery gear than crossBOWS do over compounds (yes, I do speak from some experience of them all). They are all different and and demand particular skills to use effectively according to their design.

Merry Christmas to you all!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:55 PM

Default Yes!

Buying a compound bow and all the stuff needed to get going for myself and two kids would cost me a small fortune in money and time I dont have. A single crossbow that we could share would be far more reasonable for the WkndWarrior family man...Already voted YES!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
The super fast crossbows have been a horrific failure for the most part. Typically very inaccurate and very prone to failure. While possibly new technology....it's far from perfected.
In the past .... Yes. But there is some new technology out there where guys can get groups under 2" at 100 yds with the new PSE TAC 15
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...0-yards-58304/

A set of shooting sticks or a bipod and the advantages become quite clear.
It's just a matter of time before the other x-bow big names follow suit and start producing the same or better results, and not just with a short bolt. They use specifically designed arrows for superb accuracy and retained energy down field.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 12-19-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Not for me it wouldn't. That's because compound users and newer technology are pushing the distances out further and further too. There are recorded cases of guys taking game at ranges out to 70, 80, and 100+ yards with compounds. I saw it on a TV show recently where a guy (can't remember who it was) put a second arrow into a bull elk at well beyond 100 yards! Kinda lobbed it in and got lucky.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Gone Hunting

I have to ask it. How about pellet guns. Can we name any other types of firearm stocked tools that propell a projectile in some other fashion than with powder and an ignition source?? And if we could, would we still call it a gun?? So how about this contraption that shoulders using a gun stock and projects a projectile with the use of limbs,,, all mechanical advantage, loaded from the time it leaves the truck,,, is that really called archery equipment???

Keep a strain on er

Bow hunting is easy, try landing an anvil on a mulie before they can go bouncy bouncy! Anvil Shooting has got to be one of the most difficult primitive hunting methods there is. If you manage to get a shoot off without spooking the deer, you still have to know where they will be when your shot lands.

http://www.coolestone.com/media/895/Anvils_Away/

Now if you good enough to land on on a mulie you still got to be careful not to destroy all the meat. This hunting method takes fare more skill than bow hunting. And man do you ever have to be in great shape to lug two anvils up and down the hills all day.

I think Anvil hunters should get their own season. The month of August would be good. The anvil hunters of Alberta have gone unrecognised for long enough.

Six arrows into less than 2" at 100 yards,does not sound inaccurate to me.Especially after only three days of shooting the crossbow.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Six arrows into less than 2" at 100 yards,does not sound inaccurate to me.Especially after only three days of shooting the crossbow.
Hmmm..

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-19-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
^^^ sorry to say user.....but after more than 100 pages in various threads, the common theme here is that emotion is going to trump facts for those on the no side. the only way a lot of these guys are going to get it is after a few years of having them here when they see that all this fuss was kinda pointless.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...crossbow21.jpg

Kinetic Energy: 153-145 ft-lbs (425 grain bolt)
Speed : 402-392 fps (425 grain bolt)

Does this look like archery gear to you. Do kinda see why there is a little fuss.
The facts are is that it does not belong in achery season. Looks to me like there might be more facts than emotion.

Last edited by The Bit Runner.; 12-19-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:09 PM

Wilbur claimed to have put 6 anvils into a two inch hole.....but I think he was lying to me. Wilburs too fat to carry that much ammo.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
I have to ask it. How about pellet guns. Can we name any other types of firearm stocked tools that propell a projectile in some other fashion than with powder and an ignition source?? And if we could, would we still call it a gun?? So how about this contraption that shoulders using a gun stock and projects a projectile with the use of limbs,,, all mechanical advantage, loaded from the time it leaves the truck,,, is that really called archery equipment???
Like some have already said the new compound bows are a far cry from what Tonto used to slay buffalo,seems there is a fair bit of "mechanical " advantage in compounds too!
Come to think of it bow season should be for traditional bows only.....no mechanical advantage allowed!
How's that?
Old 12-19-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyelk View Post
Wilbur claimed to have put 6 anvils into a two inch hole.....but I think he was lying to me. Wilburs too fat to carry that much ammo.
Ya, but at how many yards? And what about if he used aluminum anvils specially designed for anvil shooting? It stands to reason that he'd get more distance, but less penetration
Old 12-19-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
Like some have already said the new compound bows are a far cry from what Tonto used to slay buffalo,seems there is a fair bit of "mechanical " advantage in compounds too!
Come to think of it bow season should be for traditional bows only.....no mechanical advantage allowed!
How's that?
I'm with ya there madatter!
Can't wait to see that put to a question on a survey.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
How's that?
Not good enough, sorry! Archery tackle requires muscular power to load the limbs, and muscular power to hold it,,, after that, if you cant contol it and cannot hit litterally, the side of the barn, keep practicing,,, but remember, your only good for so many shots a night, so youd best start early in the year. Its called ARCHERY! Can you explain this whole Xgun thing to me again,,, Im having a tough time, your telling me that this thing fits under archery tackle? Really??

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-19-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
How's that?
X2!!
Old 12-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Gone Hunting

You know, I have to wonder what is next... When will the International Game Fish Association allow anglers persuing world records to mount electric winches on fishing rods?? We should lobby that next, Alberta has a good representation of unrealistic people, maybe this is a fight we should start once were done destroying the idea of archery??

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-19-2010, 08:40 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
LOL...interestring to see you're an expert on crossbows now...have you actually ever shot one?
Old 12-19-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Not good enough, sorry! Archery tackle requires muscular power to load the limbs, and muscular power to hold it,,, after that, if you cant contol it and cannot hit litterally, the side of the barn, keep practicing,,, but remember, your only good for so many shots a night, so youd best start early in the year. Its called ARCHERY! Can you explain this whole Xgun thing to me again,,, Im having a tough time, your telling me that this thing fits under archery tackle? Really??
Exactly!
So the only true archers out there are the traditional guys.....pure muscle power,no cams, linkages....hours of practice
Old 12-19-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Ya, but at how many yards? And what about if he used aluminum anvils specially designed for anvil shooting? It stands to reason that he'd get more distance, but less penetration
Wilber rarely gets any penetration, he drinks a wee bit so maybe he's not as strong as he use to be.

Wilber says he's gonna build an aluminium daisy cutter anvil and take out the whole darn herd!

I don't believe him cause he was drinking hard out at the fishing shack when he said it. I told him these new fangled innovations are cheating, and that he was bordering on being a poacher. I told him the only anvil hunting that should be allowed are the traditional methods we been using for centuries.

Only anvil hunting they should allow is when you blast them straight up and hope they land on something good to eat. Or I guess we could go back to the older method where we climbed trees and waited for the deer to walk under our tree. But I'm kind of too old to be climbing trees with anvils.

Wilber told me that they banned him and that I might get in trouble for talking about him so I think this will be my last post on this topic.

Hope you guys can fiqure out what a bow is and who can use em when. I think I'll stick to trying to drop my grandfathers anvil on stuff.

Last edited by uglyelk; 12-19-2010 at 09:00 PM.