Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Sorry I didn't mean the article, I meant the testing cluster **** that the US has on it's hands. They are so far behind they think they're ahead.....it would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
Will be cleaned up by next week thanks to capitalism. They have new testing methods and expect a 24 hour turnaround time including transportation time. They’re working on a local test but don’t have it yet. Meanwhile we can’t test the PM because we don’t have enough tests.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 03-13-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
The healthcare system has had several scares since SARS in 2004. SARS was worse in many ways. So there should be little in the way of unexpected issues with COvid-19.
What’s different is the massive blogging build up and day to day minute updates by the media hell bent on selling click bait to a fear addicted society of iPhone watchers.

The movement and spread is fascinating and absolutely expected by the WHO and every countries health care minister.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:50 PM

[QUOTE=raab;4126680. Meanwhile we can’t test the PM because we don’t have enough tests.[/QUOTE]

What's the downside?"
Old 03-13-2020, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Will be cleaned up by next week thanks to capitalism. They have new testing methods and expect a 24 hour turnaround time including transportation time. They’re working on a local test but don’t have it yet. Meanwhile we can’t test the PM because we don’t have enough tests.
It would be nice to see the pm take a blood test. Punch him in the nose and see how long he bleeds for. I’m not sure if it will help with his diagnosis but it would help me feel better.

6 more cases over night, all travel related.

Last edited by Kurt505; 03-13-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:57 PM

[QUOTE=raab;4126680. Meanwhile we can’t test the PM because we don’t have enough tests.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
What's the downside?"
It’s not in the protocol.

He’s isolating himself because a family member tested positive. Will test if has a stronger reason to test. So he’s essentially doing what they want every Canadian to do. Otherwise what? Test once, twice a day? Use up testing capacity? Shortchange tests for at risk, seniors, workers, etc. forced or unable to self-isolate?
Old 03-13-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
Most of us may get the virus as long as it's not all at once. If there are 10000 cases and 10 percent need hospitalization then it's still borderline manageable. If it 100000 then it's a problem.
That is one thing a lot of people aren't realizing/thinking about.

Let's say the actual mortality rate is around 2%. The resulting mortality rate will be higher if we allow this to spread like it is capable of doing. The reason being that our healthcare system is already overstressed without coronavirus and this virus is capable of filling our hospitals and then some on it's own.

UK is talking about trying to achieve herd immunity, if their health officials aren't able to convince them otherwise they will probably give the world a good example of what a poor idea it is to just let this virus spread. China, Italy etc wouldn't have shut down the country like they did if this was just a minor flu.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Looks like hes contributing more to the thread, unlike some people, whose only contribution is snide comments

Yep. He's paying us back for all the great advice given on whether or not he should get his girlfriend pregnant.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
One expert said testing is a problem. Positive tests in other countries were a small subset. Said the point of testing is past. It is in the community. Only ones really needing testing are those with serious complications to diagnose the cause of the symptoms as it could be common flu or Covid19 or other reasons.

Hospitals right now are in seasonal flu cycle and are busy with flu complications. Ventilators are a key tool for both as well as surgeries etc...

Just hope people self isolate and stay away from others unless they have serious symptoms.

Saw Justin today talking about Sophie catching it in the UK and bringing it back. He said he is self isolating and Sophie quarantine. However he would not say he and Sophie are apart which confused the journalists as his 14 day self quarantine doesn’t start until after he is apart from the infected Sophie or starts 14 days after she is healthy and over it and tests negative.
This is BS, he should have himself tested Monday and either isolate or get on with his job. Sounds like he is avoiding being a leader.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-13-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
That's wrong, we can test. We've had them all along, same as virtually every other first world country.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:07 PM

Exclamation Breaking news! Click to learn more!

There may be something that we can do, besides hoarding TP.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell

Last edited by sns2; 03-19-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:08 PM

Owen Benjamin has a challenge for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtjB...ature=emb_logo
Old 03-13-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
This is BS, he should have himself tested Monday and either isolate or get on with his job. Sounds like he is avoiding being a leader.

So in other words....business as usual.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:10 PM

So what in the way of leadership should Trudeau be doing?

More dumb speeches? More useless meetings?

Right now I’d say smart political leadership would be getting out of the way of the experts.

Trump is a great example of throwing a spanner into the works.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Next week !!!! OMG the virus has been on going for at least 12 weeks by that point. That is unbelievably bad form for any country... it's beyond crazy for what used to be the country that most considered the world leader.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Sophie Grégoire Trudeau tests positive for coronavirus | CBC News

“ Prime Minister Justin Trudeau "is in good health with no symptoms," the PMO said, adding that he will follow the advice of doctors and stay in isolation for 14 days. He will not be tested because he has no symptoms.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cov...irus-1.5495001
Old 03-13-2020, 06:15 PM

Sophie was travelling with Justin’s mom.margret. Where is she and has she been tested.
I think She’s got the virus
Old 03-13-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
That is one thing a lot of people aren't realizing/thinking about.

Let's say the actual mortality rate is around 2%. The resulting mortality rate will be higher if we allow this to spread like it is capable of doing. The reason being that our healthcare system is already overstressed without coronavirus and this virus is capable of filling our hospitals and then some on it's own.

UK is talking about trying to achieve herd immunity, if their health officials aren't able to convince them otherwise they will probably give the world a good example of what a poor idea it is to just let this virus spread. China, Italy etc wouldn't have shut down the country like they did if this was just a minor flu.
While the mortality rate is a concern. From one of the papers I read 58% of patients required hospitalization. This is not just the flu, it’s bilateral pneumonia with people requiring oxygen and IV therapy. I hope people take it seriously
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 03-13-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Firing up the famous Winston Churchill speech on a big screen.....and leaving the room. Preferably sobbing at the realization that he not a leader in any way shape or form. Not even 1/10th what his old man was. At least senior had the nuts to stand up to the FLQ.

This doofus would watch it all unfold while spouting more breathless "all Canadians..... need to know that...(deep inhale)...your Canada stands with you....(deep inhale)...and it's these times that bring us together....(deep inhale)....and make us....(deep inhale with eyes tearing up)....stronger.....(deep inhale).....while we recycle those plastic water bottle thingys.....(deep inhale)....can someone pass me a tissue?"
Old 03-13-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
Sophie was travelling with Justin’s mom.margret. Where is she and has she been tested.
I think She’s got the virus

Probably not her first bout.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Next week !!!! OMG the virus has been on going for at least 12 weeks by that point. That is unbelievably bad form for any country... it's beyond crazy for what used to be the country that most considered the world leader.
Literally every country in the world is consulting with American firms on how to handle this. They have the experts
Old 03-13-2020, 06:29 PM

Default It is hitting the fan now

Pal said that Costco Red Deer is holding people at the door, no more than 250 in at any time. When they started there was likely 100, then everyone saw the lineup and panicked.

We are going to see milk and bread lines yet, $55 a loaf and $100 a jug if this nonsense doesn't stop.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-13-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
While the mortality rate is a concern. From one of the papers I read 58% of patients required hospitalization. This is not just the flu, it’s bilateral pneumonia with people requiring oxygen and IV therapy. I hope people take it seriously
58%!

Please provide the link.

That’s near triple what’s more commonly been stated.

Could that be for those in the high risk group? If they are “patients” then they are already severely affected.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:34 PM

What’s the “false positive” rate for the test?
Old 03-13-2020, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Sounds like he is avoiding being a leader.

He’s been doing that for nearly 5 years....
Old 03-13-2020, 06:42 PM

As long as Remy Martin cognac stays under $50 a bottle at Superstore Liquor I don't give a hoot!
Old 03-13-2020, 06:44 PM

I was in a Calgary Costco, yesterday. Not unusually crowded, just no samples and a masked, gloved lady was passing out the plastic cutlery in the restaurant section. Nobody seemed to be making any extra large purchases from what I could tell.

Grizz
Old 03-13-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Pal said that Costco Red Deer is holding people at the door, no more than 250 in at any time. When they started there was likely 100, then everyone saw the lineup and panicked.

We are going to see milk and bread lines yet, $55 a loaf and $100 a jug if this nonsense doesn't stop.
Must be a Costco thing. I've been to 3 different Co-Op's for odds and ends in the 24hrs and they've been fine. Busier at Superstore but not chaotic.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:47 PM

No milk, bread, TP and minimal fresh veggies in the Safeway I went to. Wasn’t that busy at 4 but lineups were growing quick by the time I left. My wife has a friend who went to buy baby milk and some lady had a cart full and wouldn’t share 1. Suspect low life’s are trying to profit off this.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:

Right now I’d say smart political leadership would be getting out of the way of the experts.

Here ya go picking on Trump again. Must be one of those Nancy lovers!
Old 03-13-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:

Lots he should be doing:

1) Work with Banking Executives asking to waive this months mortgage payments for Canadians.

2) Waive the 2 week waiting period for EI, and send out the payments quickly. Ask employers to lay-off staff if their business is unable to operate.

3) Close all schools/daycares working in conjunction with the provinces.

4) Authorize the military to start setting up temporary hospitals in school gyms, empty hangers, etc..

5) Cut the red tape on experimental drugs. Allow them to be used in severe cases outside a trial.

6) Close the border to any incoming flights from overseas.

7) Ensure the supply chain continues working with all aspects of industry.

8) Ensure we have enough PPE for medical workers to keep them healthy and protected.

9) Support the provinces with increased funding for medical services.

Justin Trudeau has done nothing. He’s been completely useless.