Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Archer View Post
Heard that Suncor in Calgary had to shut down their daycare because a child tested positive yesterday. Unverified rumor that the tower will close for quarantine in the next 24-36hrs.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I have heard this also
Old 03-12-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
Stay safe out there and follow the instructions from AHS. We need to do what we can to help keep the health care system from getting overwhelmed with this. If you are not seriously ill do not go to your doctors office or ER.

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...Page16944.aspx
That's the truth!

It seems clinics have a hard time following AHS protocols and keeping cases for testing separated from the general public.

Yesterday I was at the Richmond diagnostic center in Calgary (Old Children's hospital) for an appointment that had a five month waiting time....

At the Main entrance, really the only entrance, there was nothing of note, no signs, no personnel, business as usual.

Step through the automatic sliding doors into a hallway. Doors close behind me and I see a masked security guard at a table. He asked why I'm there, any symptoms.... I answer while looking to my right and twenty feet away are a dozen people in masks, sitting in chairs and standing, the hallway is full.

I feel a wind as air coming from the masked mass flows past me to the outside door... Holding my breath I weave through the people to get inside.

I see the C-19 testing signs, now I know that this is where the center is holding people waiting for Coronavirus testing!
Inside the Main Entrance blocking access to the rest of the hospital! .... the room they are testing in is the first room from the entrance.
The room is full, so they are staging people inside the main entrance hallway.

This hospital is making Every person that enters the building have close contact with people that have passed the 811 call and were booked in for testing....

I lost it.... Was sure to find someone with authority to apply common sense.
I was told later that the C-19 station will be moved today, to one with a separate entrance.

I mentioned the entrance situation to the reception staff, two replied that they agree but were afraid to say anything....
My doctor, which came in a staff entrance, didn't know about the situation.
She concurred with my opinion, and I'm assured will/did take action.

Let's face it. There is no way we are going to control this virus as a society,
When even health professionals will make mistakes like this for the sake of convenience....

Signed,
One of those bat-crap crazy guys.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-12-2020, 03:34 PM

Anybody who hasn't planned for a two week quarantine better get their butt in gear, I have no doubt it will be coming. Glad I did all that two weeks ago
Old 03-12-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Anybody who hasn't planned for a two week quarantine better get their butt in gear, I have no doubt it will be coming. Glad I did all that two weeks ago
Anyone that hasn't planned childcare for two weeks better hurry as well as I was told schools in Airdrie have shut off water to their water fountains.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Another weird hoarding item.
Went to the Grocery this afternoon and there was no Cheddar or Marble cheese.
Only white cheeses!!!!
People are interesting.
Again walked through the produce dept and was shocked at how many are licking their fingers to open produce bags and then rolling those wet fingers over a few pieces of produce before selecting the perfect piece.
Kept walking and stocked up on canned veg and fruit

Good info on Covid-19 on the Joe Rogan Experience-#1439 Michael Osterholm on You-Tube.

Well worth a look
The trouble is you can't open the doggone things without wetting you fingers. I pick up a cabbage that had just been water sprayed, and aha, opened up a whole bunch of bags after that for the rest of my shopping.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:45 PM

Went curling at my local seniors league yesterday afternoon. Normal routine, people taking of their gloves to shake hands before and after the game. I just waved or toe tapped!

After the games, everyone up to the bar for beer and BS at the tables, no one meter space there. I just went home for my beer(s).

So is is this being paranoid or just sensible, considering that at least half the people there are over 60+, and one just got back from quarantine in Cornwall?
Old 03-12-2020, 03:46 PM

If a relatively healthy person is showing flu like symptoms, is it even worth it to go to the Dr? There isn’t anything they can really do. Self isolate, let the virus ride through and hope it doesn’t get worse. If things get ugly then go see a Dr.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:54 PM

Alberta's Chief Medical Officer of Health is strongly urging that all events with more than 250 people be cancelled. Time to go bunker down in my basement until fall.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
The trouble is you can't open the doggone things without wetting you fingers. I pick up a cabbage that had just been water sprayed, and aha, opened up a whole bunch of bags after that for the rest of my shopping.
I saw that yesterday at Walmart. Someone licking their fingers for the bag and picking out the perfect peppers. I won’t buy loose fruit or veg anymore. Has to be packaged.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Went curling at my local seniors league yesterday afternoon. Normal routine, people taking of their gloves to shake hands before and after the game. I just waved or toe tapped!

After the games, everyone up to the bar for beer and BS at the tables, no one meter space there. I just went home for my beer(s).

So is is this being paranoid or just sensible, considering that at least half the people there are over 60+, and one just got back from quarantine in Cornwall?
You're being sensible but it will take time for people to relearn every day habits. At least people are making an attempt while the risk is still relatively low. The most important issue was getting people to wrap their heads around that this is not just a flu.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
If a relatively healthy person is showing flu like symptoms, is it even worth it to go to the Dr? There isn’t anything they can really do. Self isolate, let the virus ride through and hope it doesn’t get worse. If things get ugly then go see a Dr.
The issue is you won't know if it is Covid 19 as it could easily be influenza. At this stage it's important to know where, and how cases are spreading. They try to follow each positive case back to where to see where you were infected and see if it originated with a traveler. That really is how they differentiate a pandemic vs outbreaks.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
I saw that yesterday at Walmart. Someone licking their fingers for the bag and picking out the perfect peppers. I won’t buy loose fruit or veg anymore. Has to be packaged.
Those same people handle the shopping carts,baskets and pick through the packaged produce as well. They hand over cash you get as change and tap out their PIN numbers on the debit machines. The odds are stacked against us .

Wash your hands and don’t touch your face and pray.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:20 PM

Good news: still no community spread
Bad news: we're still letting people who have traveled internationally in (that would be on the feds to clamp down on, though...) but now everyone who has traveled is being asked to self-isolate for 14 days.

I still think we'll see our first few cases of community spread confirmed in the next day or two. Too many cases out there to have completely locked it out, but it's moving much slower here than in other places, so that's a good sign that people are watching and listening to what experts have recommended.

If we do start to see some wider spread community infections, expect we'll follow Ontario and close schools down for an extended period - the Chief Medical Officer hinted that they were still considering such a measure.

People are probably aware of the Vegreville cases, but I'm hearing there is a confirmed case in Camrose as well, so it's starting to hit some of the smaller communities other than just Calgary and Edmonton

Almost forgot to mention: 4 new cases, all in Calgary (including the daycare case most will be familiar with) and they are also asking EVERYONE with a cough or fever to self-isolate for 14 days and call 811, no Dr. visit.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Although I have not read every post here, I've yet to see anyone post another fact about a Virus.

They quickly mutate .....what happens when it goes the "bad" way & becomes a far more serious event ?

Far too many people on this forum & other sites are taking this far too lightly.

But in this "Me" world we seem to be living in, I do not expect any form of common sense , empathy , or curtsy ......towards others.

Maybe the world needs another bottle neck.......
A mutation has already been identified.
https://academic.oup.com/nsr/advance...searchresult=1
Old 03-12-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
At this stage it's important to know where, and how cases are spreading. They try to follow each positive case back to where to see where you were infected and see if it originated with a traveler. That really is how they differentiate a pandemic vs outbreaks.
This is a pretty interesting read, though not very detailed, about how Taiwan dealt with it. Pretty amazing what they were able to do up to this point given everyone forecasted they would be one of the most affected countries next to China.

DW: How has Taiwan kept its coronavirus infection rate so low?

Amazing how thing can work when people are not being donkeys (most of the world), but act accordingly and appropriately instead.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoePolicyAnalyst View Post
Good news: still no community spread
Bad news: we're still letting people who have traveled internationally in (that would be on the feds to clamp down on, though...) but now everyone who has traveled is being asked to self-isolate for 14 days.

I still think we'll see our first few cases of community spread confirmed in the next day or two. Too many cases out there to have completely locked it out, but it's moving much slower here than in other places, so that's a good sign that people are watching and listening to what experts have recommended.

If we do start to see some wider spread community infections, expect we'll follow Ontario and close schools down for an extended period - the Chief Medical Officer hinted that they were still considering such a measure.

People are probably aware of the Vegreville cases, but I'm hearing there is a confirmed case in Camrose as well, so it's starting to hit some of the smaller communities other than just Calgary and Edmonton
2 days ago Harvard and several other Universities decided to close down and not let students return after spring break.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:32 PM

Another interesting thing, saw on some forum, someone asked if any places are forcing people to work from home yet. A dude from Singapore said:

I’m from Singapore and in my company we have instituted business continuity plans that require employees to work from home periodically in teams. Been going on for 5 weeks now.

One can see how behind most of the world is in the ways to approach the spread.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
This is a pretty interesting read, though not very detailed, about how Taiwan dealt with it. Pretty amazing what they were able to do up to this point given everyone forecasted they would be one of the most affected countries next to China.

DW: How has Taiwan kept its coronavirus infection rate so low?

Amazing how thing can work when people are not being donkeys (most of the world), but act accordingly and appropriately instead.
Thanks I hadn't seen that one but DW does do a great job of giving actual news. Very similar in quality to BBC I find.
They have done such a good job because they were training and ready for just this scenario. Preparations do make a real difference when something this bad happens.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Yep, meanwhile Trudeau is MIA
He is in self quarantine because his wife is sick. She is being tested.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
You should always wash your fruits and veggies...
Old 03-12-2020, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Another interesting thing, saw on some forum, someone asked if any places are forcing people to work from home yet. A dude from Singapore said:
My company announced today that everyone who can should work from home starting Monday, too bad tomorrow is my last day there. Oh and I work from home anyway.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:54 PM

I just talked to a friend that works at a refinery in the Edmonton area, His company is setting up non essential workers, to be able to work at home
Old 03-12-2020, 05:20 PM

We are away on vacation in Caribbean and my daughter just got an email from work- she will be on a mandatory paid karantene for 14 days... She is happy, lol!
Old 03-12-2020, 05:32 PM

new confirmed case in Milk River ,AB. Catholic priest who did mass in the town on the weekend
Old 03-12-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
Sophie has it now.

Ps I post a shooting story a while ago and I got about 6replies.
She doesn't have it. She apparently had mild symptoms of the flu, it is flu season after all so she was tested. Doesn't mean she has it but everyone is in panic mode.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Best to cook all your fruits and veggies for the next while.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:59 PM

Just left Safeway at Riverbend Square

Omg. People are panicking. The place was packed. People buying up everything. Zero kleenex or tp.

It was spooky. Like the apocalypse was tomorrow....

Ive never witnessed anything like this.

I needed some mix, milk, bananas. I was lucky to get it
Old 03-12-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Just left Safeway at Riverbend Square

Omg. People are panicking. The place was packed. People buying up everything. Zero kleenex or tp.

It was spooky. Like the apocalypse was tomorrow....

Ive never witnessed anything like this.

I needed some mix, milk, bananas. I was lucky to get it
Funny but coincidentally understandable.

Just in mid January my wife and I were shopping there for the first time for a friend so we were in the store for a while trying to find everything. On leaving I remember I commented to my wife how I got a very negative vibe from the customers there. I couldn’t recall that perception or sensation of people in any other store anywhere, ever and that’s why I brought it up with my wife.

I can’t recall the details but it was things like no “excuse me”’s, no moving to let me get by, etc - just like a room full of unhappy people.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Thanks I hadn't seen that one but DW does do a great job of giving actual news. Very similar in quality to BBC I find.
They have done such a good job because they were training and ready for just this scenario. Preparations do make a real difference when something this bad happens.
Absolutely, DW is one of the best out there. On my daily reading list, along with Reuters and a couple of others. Another nice thing about it is that it focus on Europe for the most part, as well as the world in wide sense of the word, unlike local or American media, and it never hurts to know what is going elsewhere on the planet. Their perspectives and opinion pieces are also on point more often than not.

Here is a more detailed description of approaches taken by S Korea and Italy, with the Korean being very similar to that of Singapore. Also mentions why it would not likely work here and the US. Pretty impressive how the DW article mentions that the Taiwanese were getting ready since SARS and this one says the Koreans since SARS and MERS. What was the rest of the world doing since?

Retires: Special Report: Italy and South Korea virus outbreaks reveal disparity in deaths and tactics

Glad to hear some are working or planning to send people to work from home.

Local Walmart has plenty of TP and tissue paper a few days ago. Was pretty much empty yesterday.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:30 PM

Default CWD and ticks as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
If anyone hasn't listened to the new Joe Rogan podcast on this, it's pretty interesting. He has Michael Osterholm on the show who is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology.

Some of the biggest points he made was this is just the very beginning of the pandemic, and he expects it to be 10-15x worse than the flu. Also, he feels that the obesity rates in North America may lead to a higher percentage of deaths in people who aren't in the 65+ year age class.

http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/michael-osterholm

it is cool that this guy has worked on CWD as well.