Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2020, 11:43 AM
Banned

Arrow

Trudeau, wife Sophie in self-isolation awaiting COVID-19 test as meeting with premiers is called off

Meanwhile, a meeting between Trudeau, the premiers and Indigenous leaders that was scheduled to begin in Ottawa today has been postponed indefinitely in response to the COVID-19 outbreak.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cov...irus-1.5495001

How Convenient...

Nog
Old 03-12-2020, 11:47 AM

NHL season suspended now.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:47 AM

NHL suspends season. Whoops Repeat!!
Old 03-12-2020, 11:55 AM

Hey folks,

An update from my perspective -

It's still very likely that the mortality rate is much lower than stated, perhaps even 1/10 of what we think just given the fact that most cases are NOT detected.

That said, the population has little to no immunity which explains the exponential spread we've seen in other countries. This could be add a significant burden to the health care system as these patients require isolation (resource heavy) and may require various levels of respiratory support which can be a limited resource at some sites.

With that in mind, efforts to stem the spread of the virus are a reasonable idea. Wash your hands. Don't touch your face, and if you get sick do your part and stay home. If things progress more slowly the health care system has a better chance of absorbing the extra load. It also gives us more time to develop a vaccine which may protect the vulnerable.

Keep a rational mind, and don't give in to the hysteria. Wash your hands.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:58 AM

Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth which is near impossible to do!
Old 03-12-2020, 12:09 PM

Now in Vegreville after returning from Mexico
Old 03-12-2020, 12:10 PM

Wink Too easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I just got a notification on my phone that Sophie Trudeau is in self isolation due to a possible contact. This is disturbing, why is there a HuffPost Canada article texting me?
Nothing to worry about. That text probably got sent out to all the Liberal supporters in their database.

On a more serious note, here is a hand sanitizer option that could work well for people who don't appreciate spicy food.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell

Last edited by sns2; 03-19-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I’m no fan of Trudeau but if he is at risk of having it or being infectious then self isolation is the right thing to do. He is a walking talking idiot that deserves to be mocked for many things but this isn’t one of them.
Hopefully he still makes all of the Liberal cabinet meetings though! Personal-space intruding hugs and everything...
Old 03-12-2020, 12:33 PM

Canada better start Remdesivir trials ASAP. Mortality rate dropping quickly in the US as they started trials and allowed usage on compassionate basis in Washington state.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 03-12-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Hopefully he still makes all of the Liberal cabinet meetings though! Personal-space intruding hugs and everything...
Yep this right here, this is the time for the Liberals to gather, show love and support for each other. It would be the one most important thing they could do for the future of Canada.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:49 PM

This small essay from someone who got the virus in Seattle

A Facebook post by a Seattle based woman named Elizabeth Schneider, who had coronavirus, has gone viral. In the post Schneider talks about how she contracted the virus, misconceptions about it and the fact that she has now recovered.

Schneider got tested by the University of Washington’s ‘Seattle Flu Study’ which has been testing people for COVID-19. In the post, Schneider talks about how she had none of the symptoms like coughing or sneezing which are supposed to be red flags for Coronavirus. The FB post has has got over 19,000 shares and 2,700 comments.

Given below is the entire text of her post:

“I had COVID-19 and here is my story. I made this post public out of several requests from my friends who asked me to share. I hope it gives you some good information and peace of mind!

First how easily you can get it. I believe I caught it when attending a small house party at which no one was coughing, sneezing or otherwise displaying any symptoms of illness. It appears that 40% of the attendees of this party ended up sick. The media tells you to wash your hands and avoid anyone with symptoms. I did. There is no way to avoid catching this except avoiding all other humans. 40% of folks were all sick within 3 days of attending the party all with the same/similar symptoms including fever.

Also Watch | Coronavirus: What we know and what we don’t

Second, the symptoms appear to be different depending on your constitution and/or age. Most of my friends who got it were in their late 40s to early 50s. I’m in my mid 30s. For us it was headache, fever (for first 3 days consistently and then on and off after 3 days), severe body aches and joint pain, and severe fatigue. I had a fever that spiked the first night to 103 degrees and eventually came down to 100 and then low grade 99.5. Some folks had diarrhea. I felt nauseous one day. Once the fever is gone some were left with nasal congestion, sore throat. Only a very few of us had a mild itchy cough. Very few had chest tightness or other respiratory symptoms. Total duration of illness was 10-16 days. The main issue is that without reporting a cough or trouble breathing many of us were refused testing. I got tested through the Seattle Flu Study. This is a RESEARCH study here in Seattle and they have been testing volunteers for strains of the flu to study transmission within the community. A few weeks ago, they started to test a random subset of samples for COVID-19 infection. They sent my sample to the King County Public Health Department for confirmation; however, I was told that all of the samples that have tested positive in the research study have been confirmed by Public Health.

As of Monday March 9th, it has been 13 days since my symptoms started and more than 72 hours since my fever subsided. The King County Public Health Department is recommending you stay isolated for 7 days after the start of symptoms or 72 hours after your fever subsides. I have surpassed both deadlines so I am no longer isolating myself however I am avoiding strenuous activity and large crowds and I obviously will not come near you if I see you in public. I was not hospitalized. Not every country is hospitalizing everyone with a COVID-19 infection and in my case, and in many other cases, I didn’t even go to the doctor because I was recovering on my own and felt it was just a nasty flu strain different from the ones I have been protected from with this season’s flu vaccine.

I also truly believe the lack of testing is leading to folks believing that they just have a cold or something else going out into public and spreading it. And worse folks with no symptoms are also spreading it as in the case of a person attending a party or social gathering who has no symptoms.

I know some folks are thinking that this can’t/won’t impact them. I hope it doesn’t but I believe that the overall lack of early and pervasive testing damaged the public’s ability to avoid the illness here in Seattle. All I know is that Seattle has been severely impacted and although I’m better now I would not wish this very uncomfortable illness on anyone.

One thing that I believe may have saved me from getting worse respiratory symptoms is the fact that I consistently took Sudafed, used Afrin nasal spray (3 sprays in each nostril, 3 days at a time and then 3 days off), and used a Neti pot (with purified water). This could have kept my sinuses clear and prevented the symptoms from spreading to my lungs. This is not medical advice: I’m simply sharing what I did and correlating it with the fact that I had no respiratory symptoms. The two could be entirely unrelated based on the viral strain and viral load that I received.

I hope this information helps someone avoid getting sick and/or push to get tested sooner rather than later so you know to isolate before it gets worse or to get medical care if you have respiratory distress. Hand washing doesn’t guarantee you won’t get sick, especially when folks without symptoms are contagious and could be standing right next to you in any given social situation. You more likely than not will not die, but do you want to risk spreading it to a loved one over 60 or someone with an immunity issue? Stay healthy folks!”

Last edited by jungleboy; 03-12-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:56 PM

Stay safe out there and follow the instructions from AHS. We need to do what we can to help keep the health care system from getting overwhelmed with this. If you are not seriously ill do not go to your doctors office or ER.

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...Page16944.aspx
Old 03-12-2020, 01:13 PM

Old 03-12-2020, 01:32 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...235023766.html

actually just got back from the usual early morning avoid the idiot shopping in town...well the parking lot at wallyworld was packed....the isle with toilet paper was literally almost empty...so I grabbed a 24 pack...just because...then started thinking and got lots of just in case this gets stupidly out of hand....oh well nothing to do but hunker down out in the country and watch this untwist....

oh and remember to control what you can and manage the rest...don't be that invincible idiot out there cuz you might kill someone....yup....kill someone.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-12-2020, 01:57 PM

Scary.
It seems like the virus might go around and around. If you quarantine how do you know when to come out and the people you interact with don’t have it?
Old 03-12-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Nothing to worry about. That text probably got sent out to all the Liberal supporters in their database.

On a more serious note, here is a hand sanitizer option that could work well for people who don't appreciate spicy food.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:08 PM

Although I have not read every post here, I've yet to see anyone post another fact about a Virus.

They quickly mutate .....what happens when it goes the "bad" way & becomes a far more serious event ?

Far too many people on this forum & other sites are taking this far too lightly.

But in this "Me" world we seem to be living in, I do not expect any form of common sense , empathy , or curtsy ......towards others.

Maybe the world needs another bottle neck.......
Old 03-12-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
This small essay from someone who got the virus in Seattle

A Facebook post by a Seattle based woman named Elizabeth Schneider, who had coronavirus, has gone viral. In the post Schneider talks about how she contracted the virus, misconceptions about it and the fact that she has now recovered.

Schneider got tested by the University of Washington’s ‘Seattle Flu Study’ which has been testing people for COVID-19. In the post, Schneider talks about how she had none of the symptoms like coughing or sneezing which are supposed to be red flags for Coronavirus. The FB post has has got over 19,000 shares and 2,700 comments.

Given below is the entire text of her post:

“I had COVID-19 and here is my story. I made this post public out of several requests from my friends who asked me to share. I hope it gives you some good information and peace of mind!

First how easily you can get it. I believe I caught it when attending a small house party at which no one was coughing, sneezing or otherwise displaying any symptoms of illness. It appears that 40% of the attendees of this party ended up sick. The media tells you to wash your hands and avoid anyone with symptoms. I did. There is no way to avoid catching this except avoiding all other humans. 40% of folks were all sick within 3 days of attending the party all with the same/similar symptoms including fever.

Also Watch | Coronavirus: What we know and what we don’t

Second, the symptoms appear to be different depending on your constitution and/or age. Most of my friends who got it were in their late 40s to early 50s. I’m in my mid 30s. For us it was headache, fever (for first 3 days consistently and then on and off after 3 days), severe body aches and joint pain, and severe fatigue. I had a fever that spiked the first night to 103 degrees and eventually came down to 100 and then low grade 99.5. Some folks had diarrhea. I felt nauseous one day. Once the fever is gone some were left with nasal congestion, sore throat. Only a very few of us had a mild itchy cough. Very few had chest tightness or other respiratory symptoms. Total duration of illness was 10-16 days. The main issue is that without reporting a cough or trouble breathing many of us were refused testing. I got tested through the Seattle Flu Study. This is a RESEARCH study here in Seattle and they have been testing volunteers for strains of the flu to study transmission within the community. A few weeks ago, they started to test a random subset of samples for COVID-19 infection. They sent my sample to the King County Public Health Department for confirmation; however, I was told that all of the samples that have tested positive in the research study have been confirmed by Public Health.

As of Monday March 9th, it has been 13 days since my symptoms started and more than 72 hours since my fever subsided. The King County Public Health Department is recommending you stay isolated for 7 days after the start of symptoms or 72 hours after your fever subsides. I have surpassed both deadlines so I am no longer isolating myself however I am avoiding strenuous activity and large crowds and I obviously will not come near you if I see you in public. I was not hospitalized. Not every country is hospitalizing everyone with a COVID-19 infection and in my case, and in many other cases, I didn’t even go to the doctor because I was recovering on my own and felt it was just a nasty flu strain different from the ones I have been protected from with this season’s flu vaccine.

I also truly believe the lack of testing is leading to folks believing that they just have a cold or something else going out into public and spreading it. And worse folks with no symptoms are also spreading it as in the case of a person attending a party or social gathering who has no symptoms.

I know some folks are thinking that this can’t/won’t impact them. I hope it doesn’t but I believe that the overall lack of early and pervasive testing damaged the public’s ability to avoid the illness here in Seattle. All I know is that Seattle has been severely impacted and although I’m better now I would not wish this very uncomfortable illness on anyone.

One thing that I believe may have saved me from getting worse respiratory symptoms is the fact that I consistently took Sudafed, used Afrin nasal spray (3 sprays in each nostril, 3 days at a time and then 3 days off), and used a Neti pot (with purified water). This could have kept my sinuses clear and prevented the symptoms from spreading to my lungs. This is not medical advice: I’m simply sharing what I did and correlating it with the fact that I had no respiratory symptoms. The two could be entirely unrelated based on the viral strain and viral load that I received.

I hope this information helps someone avoid getting sick and/or push to get tested sooner rather than later so you know to isolate before it gets worse or to get medical care if you have respiratory distress. Hand washing doesn’t guarantee you won’t get sick, especially when folks without symptoms are contagious and could be standing right next to you in any given social situation. You more likely than not will not die, but do you want to risk spreading it to a loved one over 60 or someone with an immunity issue? Stay healthy folks!”
Damn...heading to Seattle in 2 weeks...Better stock up on hand sanitizer and bring some extra TP as well....
Old 03-12-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Although I have not read every post here, I've yet to see anyone post another fact about a Virus.

They quickly mutate .....what happens when it goes the "bad" way & becomes a far more serious event ?

Far too many people on this forum & other sites are taking this far too lightly.

But in this "Me" world we seem to be living in, I do not expect any form of common sense , empathy , or curtsy ......towards others.

Yup... X2
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 03-12-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post

We are not taking it lightly, but on the other hand, like an earlier post said 'This is not the apocalypse either '.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:32 PM

My biggest question is: after you get it and recover, are you immune to it?
Old 03-12-2020, 02:33 PM

Ontario just closed schools for two weeks after their spring break. I wonder if Alberta will do the same.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
Ontario just closed schools for two weeks after their spring break. I wonder if Alberta will do the same.
They sure should ---whats a week early---by Monday, things will be very different.....
Old 03-12-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
They sure should ---whats a week early---by Monday, things will be very different.....
Our spring break starts on the 23rd. Go a week before and one after for good measure.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
sort of. They extended their spring break from 1 week to 2 weeks. But they should've extended it on the back end, as there's still alot of people with travel plans.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Damn...heading to Seattle in 2 weeks...Better stock up on hand sanitizer and bring some extra TP as well....
Good luck, if you find some grab it. I drove to 4 different towns before I flew back to work to have with me in camp. Nothing, there isn't a drop to be found in southern Alberta.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
sort of. They extended their spring break from 1 week to 2 weeks. But they should've extended it on the back end, as there's still alot of people with travel plans.
I read it as two weeks, after the one week spring break which starts on Monday.

Extend by two weeks.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ools-1.5495736
Old 03-12-2020, 03:07 PM

Another weird hoarding item.
Went to the Grocery this afternoon and there was no Cheddar or Marble cheese.
Only white cheeses!!!!
People are interesting.
Again walked through the produce dept and was shocked at how many are licking their fingers to open produce bags and then rolling those wet fingers over a few pieces of produce before selecting the perfect piece.
Kept walking and stocked up on canned veg and fruit

Good info on Covid-19 on the Joe Rogan Experience-#1439 Michael Osterholm on You-Tube.

Well worth a look

Last edited by omega50; 03-12-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:10 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
My biggest question is: after you get it and recover, are you immune to it?
No. There have been a host of people who have "gotten over it" only to have it resurface within a few weeks. From that it has become obvious that the development and build-up of antibodies does not prevent reinfection. The translation here is that makes it incredibly difficult to develop a functional vaccine.

On other fronts:

BC health continues to downplay this issue whenever possible.

Next for instance - There was a dental conference in Vancouver a few days ago, an attendee tested positive for Corona. 14,000 plus people attended the conference and then left to the four winds .....

BC Health's response: “As long as participants of the conference remain healthy and do not develop symptoms, there is no need to self-isolate and they should continue with their usual daily activities,” Vancouver Coastal Health said in a statement.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6667404/a...-for-covid-19/

Seems to me a damn near guaranteed method to ensure the Genie is out of the bottle...

Nog
Old 03-12-2020, 03:25 PM

Heard that Suncor in Calgary had to shut down their daycare because a child tested positive yesterday. Unverified rumor that the tower will close for quarantine in the next 24-36hrs.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk