Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
45% to 50% of Dr’s income goes to overheads.
So, you're essentially saying half goes to multiple staff salaries, benefits, vacation time, and bonuses, rent, equipment, utilities, taxes, etc. and the rest goes to one guy. Hard to feel bad for buddy if you know what I'm saying. I'm sure most on here would switch their salary over to the rent of the building they are in let alone the other items.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
It was a joke...a funny...jeepers eh.

Wife told me her friends dishwasher just up and died on her....I looked at her and said when is the ol'mans funeral?

Go back to page 9 and reread post #267...
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 03-21-2020, 10:25 AM
Banned

My two teens, as many spend too much time on game consuls.
Tonight we’re spending the evening playing Clue....no complaints here. 😀
Old 03-21-2020, 10:56 AM

Fire on the mountain... Marshall Tucker Band
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 03-21-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
My two teens, as many spend too much time on game consuls.
Tonight we’re spending the evening playing Clue....no complaints here. 😀
We have increased the kids screen time so they can be chatting with friends but we have started making a point of shutting them off for a few hours at a time to do family things or play outside. Had a nice hike the other day. Did them both good. (and I found my first shed of the year).
Old 03-21-2020, 11:30 AM

Interesting episode of "Market Place" that looked at Taiwan's response. They did a few things right and as a result life is much more normal than other places.

1 - the moment they heard the rumors of a new "pneumonia" in China, they sent their own team to investigate. They didn't like what they found and acted accordingly.
2 - the government limited what you could buy in terms of face masks, sanitizer, etc. They stopped the panic buying and hording before it started.
3 - the government got industry to ramp up production of those same products.
4 - you can't go anywhere without someone taking your temperature. Restaurants are still open, but they take your temperature before you are allowed in. Schools are still open, but parents have to take their kids' temperature before taking them to school.

Might not be "normal", but there are no lock downs or closure, just an abundance of caution.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
So, you're essentially saying half goes to multiple staff salaries, benefits, vacation time, and bonuses, rent, equipment, utilities, taxes, etc. and the rest goes to one guy. Hard to feel bad for buddy if you know what I'm saying. I'm sure most on here would switch their salary over to the rent of the building they are in let alone the other items.
And how many here can actually be responsible for saving your life?
Or have spent a minimum of eight years in post secondary education?
Old 03-21-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
That eight years is a minimum, let's not forget about residencies or the sheer amount of debt they carry for many years into the profession. Certainly not an easy path to take.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:11 PM
Banned

Arrow

Some here understand a lot of my Family are Americans, and a great many of those are in their Military.

One of my cousins is high up in the US National Guard. He, and all of their members were called up to Active Duty as of yesterday.
Military leaves have been cancelled and most I know also received return to base marching orders.
The concerning note is that these folks were informed "This is a live ammunition exercise".
Real Lock down may be coming sooner for them than later methinks...

Nog
Old 03-21-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
That eight years is a minimum, let's not forget about residencies or the sheer amount of debt they carry for many years into the profession. Certainly not an easy path to take.
Somehow responding to the wrong thread, guys.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 03-21-2020, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Somehow responding to the wrong thread, guys.
No....see #278 on this thread.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:06 PM
Banned

Old 03-21-2020, 02:11 PM
AO Sponsor

Okay this one just crossed my feed and gave me a good LOL’z!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E95822BB-82FB-473E-AF0F-D8D9FF24F699.jpg (28.9 KB, 94 views)
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 03-21-2020, 02:35 PM
Banned

Check this out. Who's got a Scent Crusher to help eliminate their scent while hunting?

University Thinks a Common Hunting Product Can Help Fight the Coronavirus

March 20, 2020 Aaron Futrell

The country has been thrown into chaos trying to limit the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. Governors are closing establishments and people are being asked to distance themselves from each other. The world is like a complete mess.

People are looking for a thing to help prevent infection and ways to limit the spread, and a common hunting tool just might be able to help. Ozonics, the company that makes Scent Crusher, just published a blog about how Ozone kills airborne bacteria and viruses.

“Ozone is the tri-atomic form of oxygen and is a naturally occurring gas. Ozone is harnessed in scent control applications because it bonds to the molecules it contacts, like scent molecules, and destroys them. The process is the same with airborne bacteria and viruses: when the right amount of ozone is deployed for the right amount of time, it destroys the bacteria and viruses it contacts. This includes viruses like COVID-19.“

This is very beneficial since the virus can last for days on surfaces and people will need an effective way to disinfect their house. This could definitely help stop the spread and keep the sickness to a minimum.

“Ozone was used in China during the SARS epidemic and proved 99.22% effective at killing the virus. The COVID-19 virus that we are facing today has a genome sequence that is 80% similar to SARS, so experts, including those at the University of Tennessee, believe that ozone will effectively kill COVID-19 as well.“

Many hunters already have Ozone producing units for scent control and they can easily be used to disinfect rooms. Ozonics details in their blog the process people can use to disinfect their house.

- Make sure to run your unit upside down. You don’t want to impede the ability of the fan to pull in ambient air.
- Remove all people and pets from the enclosed space.
- Seal the room. Close all vents and air ducts and place a towel along the bottom of the door.
- Set up a fan within the room to help circulate the ozone. Circulation creates increased surface area exposure, much like the airflow system of the DriWASH bag.
- Run your HR200, HR230, or HR300 unit on Boost mode and your Orion unit on Hyperboost mode.
- Let the unit run for 30 minutes. Then turn the unit off. Keep all people and pets out of the room for an additional 30 minutes.
- You may still smell some residual ozone. If this bothers your nasal passage or causes a headache, remove yourself, pets, and others from the room for an additional 30 minutes to an hour.
- Move the unit to additional rooms and repeat as necessary.

Hopefully, we can get this thing under control and get back to normal, but until then keep strong and keep vigilant and we will get through this together.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Meant #287
Apologies to Jigsalot.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
"My Sharona" by The Knack....

Or any of the latest parodies, "My Corona". Very catchy beat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo7HB-slsm4

Sorry I included a link, but it is funny!!!

There is a Hebrew one out, too.
There is also "Do I have the COVID Virus" to the tune of "If I Had a Million Dollars"

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-21-2020, 03:00 PM

Don’t know if anyone noticed but CBC is quick to vilify gun owners even with this. Tops stories are about how guns and ammo are flying off the shelves. Somehow this will further justify liberal nonsense I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 03-21-2020, 03:04 PM

As I stated before I think were close to a treatment plan for Covid-19. I've previously commented on Remdesivir and its effectiveness. Today as I was researching I also found some information on a drug called Actemra. I think both of these will be involved in the final treatment plan, and hopefully our lives can go back to normal once approved by the FDA. Just a little glimmer of hope while your all cooped up at home.

Also has anyone on here tested positive? Would like to know your experience so far with the disease.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 03-21-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
As I stated before I think were close to a treatment plan for Covid-19. I've previously commented on Remdesivir and its effectiveness. Today as I was researching I also found some information on a drug called Actemra. I think both of these will be involved in the final treatment plan, and hopefully our lives can go back to normal once approved by the FDA. Just a little glimmer of hope while your all cooped up at home.

Also has anyone on here tested positive? Would like to know your experience so far with the disease.
CTV news site has a video clip up from a woman in ICU across the pond. Sounds very unpleasant .
Old 03-21-2020, 03:21 PM

For music maybe anything by the " Wuhan Clan"...sorry...
Old 03-21-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
CTV news site has a video clip up from a woman in ICU across the pond. Sounds very unpleasant .
Lots in the ICU on ventilators, all different ages. For example a 34 year old died last week in California. People need to take this seriously until we get a treatment. The self quarantining is just to slow the spread and buy time. In saying that Im seeing good anecdotal evidence for Remdesivir, and Actemra. Lets hope they work...
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 03-21-2020, 03:59 PM

Bloop did you hear anything about your test results?
Hope your doing ok.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Any of the drugs being looked into at this time may or may not hold some promise, but as what the disease causes is a syndrome vs a single individual injury it's not going to be a silver bullet. Listen to Dr. Fauci NOT Trump. The US president is a snake oil salesman that has been lying to people from the beginning. Quarantining prevents infection. Ventilators preserve life while the body hopefully heals, but a vaccine is the only thing that will stop the spread.
I’m not listening to Trump I’m reading every research article I can on the subject. In one of the studies Ive read ferritin levels were twice as high in non survivors versus survivors. Suggesting that the patients are experiencing cytokine storm syndrome. Which is where Actemra comes in. Remdesivir stops the virus from replicating and Actemra stops the hyperinflammation allowing the patient to recover. Vaccines are to far away, we need therapeutics now that can keep patients out of the ICU, and reduce mortality rate. If we can do that then the world can return to normal.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I celebrated that article by loading every mag I had. Not because I have any need to, but on the off chance it might offend some gun hating idiot.
I’m not sure why this bothers you so much so maybe you could clarify your objection?

I saw yesterday that the Cabelas in Calgary has a long line roped off at the gun counter all the way past optics and over to the knife counter. There’s a sign up warning people that waiting time at the gun counter will exceed 45 minutes. The Canadian Tire next to it is completely out of slugs and buckshot. Several online focused retailers have posted warnings about shipments delayed due to being very busy over on Gunnutz.

This is happening, the CBC isn’t making it up.

Now as far as the implications of it IDK. I thought to myself I better go get the dies I’ll need soon now while the getting is good, is that all that’s driving this? I don’t think so and that makes me uncomfortable. We can’t sit here and dump all over people buying TP for no reason but give one of our own a pass for buying 300 rounds of buckshot he doesn’t otherwise need.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Thought that was off another thread. Kind of seems like it deserves its own conversation, and we can keep this one a little more positive.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 03-21-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
We can’t sit here and dump all over people buying TP for no reason but give one of our own a pass for buying 300 rounds of buckshot he doesn’t otherwise need.
I have to disagree. Buying 300rds of ammo is not what I would call hoarding.
Hell, that's a trip to the range for us.

I also don't get the term hoarder. Like I understand panic buying causing shortages, that's what I call hoarding but buying a couple extra cans of food for the pantry every time you go shopping or buying cases of things you are going to use doesn't seem wrong to me. Having enough food to last more than a few weeks doesn't make someone crazy IMO.

I see it the same as someone getting jealous because they have less money than you and calling you a money hoarder.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I’m not sure why this bothers you so much so maybe you could clarify your objection?

I saw yesterday that the Cabelas in Calgary has a long line roped off at the gun counter all the way past optics and over to the knife counter. There’s a sign up warning people that waiting time at the gun counter will exceed 45 minutes. The Canadian Tire next to it is completely out of slugs and buckshot. Several online focused retailers have posted warnings about shipments delayed due to being very busy over on Gunnutz.

This is happening, the CBC isn’t making it up.

Now as far as the implications of it IDK. I thought to myself I better go get the dies I’ll need soon now while the getting is good, is that all that’s driving this? I don’t think so and that makes me uncomfortable. We can’t sit here and dump all over people buying TP for no reason but give one of our own a pass for buying 300 rounds of buckshot he doesn’t otherwise need.
Positive thread going down the toilet....My objection is to the agenda CBC has against gun ownership in general, and their delight in painting gun owners in a way that is highly negative, not to mention condescending. This is reinforced in the comments section of the story by the ideologically possessed fanboys of the CBC.

Firearms without ammunition are expensive clubs. It's normal for gun owners to have ammunition. It isn't a psychosis, as cBC would have you believe. If people are lining up to buy it's because they realize the price is going to be going up, probably in a big way. And supply for their hobby will be low.

I'm sure they would paint me as 'deranged' because of how much ammo I have. Never mind the fact that I am an avid target shooter (belong to 2 gun clubs and Archery club as well) and hunter, and I can go through 20K rounds a year pretty easily.....nope. I'm mentally ill. Ask the CBC, they will confirm. It's 'news'.

That's my clarification to why I object. Because they have the platform, and if they don't like what you do, they excoriate you and your hobby. The smug sense of superiority....annoys me.

Hey, I don't care that they collect cabbage patch dolls and lunch box kids, why bug me because I collect Colts, and S&W?

I will also add I object to my tax dollars supporting the propaganda arm of the Liberal left. It does not represent me or my values ever, as far as I can tell, yet delights in denigrating me and my values, on my dime.

CBC, if it really is a service to Canadians that is valued, should be a subscription service. Not taxpayer funded. We would very quickly find out how much they actually represent 'Canada' and how much they a are a political propaganda arm for the social engineers who are currently running this country.

I'm sick of it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 03-21-2020 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:23 PM

Is it over yet
Old 03-21-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Those same treatments have been tried in various forms for many years, steroids to decrease cytokines and various anti virals. I'm not saying that the current drug combination will fail but you know what they say about eggs and baskets.
Im not putting all my eggs in one basket. Im giving people a glimmer of hope in the bleakness this situation is creating. If people want to look into those drugs I think they'll feel a lot better with where were at, but that doesn't mean we should stop the social distancing. Need time to manufacture and get the drugs to hospitals if they're proven successful in the trials.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Positive thread going down the toilet...
Not my intention, you’re being defensive when you don’t need to be. I’m not picking a fight.

Quote:

I'm sure they would paint me as 'deranged' because of how much ammo I have. Never mind the fact that I am an avid target shooter (belong to 2 gun clubs and Archery club as well) and hunter, and I can go through 20K rounds a year pretty easily.....nope. I'm mentally ill. Ask the CBC, they will confirm. It's 'news'.
I belong to THREE gun clubs and also have an awful lot of ammo stashed away for various disciplines I get it.

Quote:
That's my clarification to why I object. Because they have the platform, and if they don't like what you do, they excoriate you and your hobby. The smug sense of superiority....annoys me.
So I get what you’re saying, I don’t agree with all of it but I understand your point of view. I think you need to take another look at that article though. In this particular case, they didn’t do any of that. There was no implication of the motivations people had. They asked questions and reported what people had to say, yeah they talked to a gun control advocate but they talked to the CSSA too. You are dragging an awful lot of baggage into this and i think it’s clouding your judgement. Take a real honest look, they were pretty balanced this time IMO.

Hate the CBC all you want but it’s in your own interest to be specific and objective in your criticism. As soon as you abandon the facts your objection is irrelevant.