Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-01-2023, 03:14 PM

Default Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFitter View Post
After getting the rifle back from Savage with a new barrel fitted, the process all started again.
The brass was already processed and ready to load so it was pretty quick work.

Starting at 53.5gr of 4831SC with 143gr ELD-X. Hopefully get out next weekend and try them out.

Sent from my SM-S906W using Tapatalk
Good luck those 6.5 PRC are a sweet cartridge. Hope one of those loads gets you were your looking to go accuracy and velocity wise.
Old 10-01-2023, 04:32 PM

went over to my son's place the other night to load a bunch of new brass for my .223 TR rifle using his new scale and trickler. He has taken a very deep dive into Fclass
Imteresting piece of gear.....
Cat
Old 10-01-2023, 05:22 PM

Cat those V4 auto tricklers put a smile on your face every time you use them.
Old 10-01-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Cat those V4 auto tricklers put a smile on your face every time you use them.
They are nice yes, but for what they cost I would not consider buying one unless I went into Fclass or ELR.
For service rifle, TR, or hunting , they are a waste of money IMO.
Cat
Old 10-09-2023, 08:48 AM

53.5 grains of 4831 SC with a 143 ELDX in my 6.5 PRC. Velocity was low at 2810, but this was the best, accuracy wise, with a 0.020" jump.
Even going to 54.7, I was at 2894fps, but the group opened to almost 2".

53.5 gave me an SD of 8.3 after theb5 shot group.
For now, I'll stick with the lower velocity and tighter groups, and possibly look at a different powder after hunting season. Still looking for slightly tighter groups, even though this is a hunting rifle with a skinnier barrel profile.

Sent from my SM-S906W using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2023, 10:36 PM

Finished a few 410's this morning , and made a bunch of 80 grain preloads and 1oz shot charges fir the 14 gauge while waiting for my son to pick me up for the trip down to Brooks
🐈
Old 11-03-2023, 12:09 PM

I finished off my 410 skeet loads this morning, 2900 rounds of AA hulls. Next week it will be 28 gauge.
Old 11-03-2023, 12:13 PM

Super deep clean on my main match rifle , trying to clean up a bit now and mail off some stuff
Cat
Old 11-04-2023, 05:50 AM

Default The CBC is at it again….

Interesting bunch of brass I picked up at the range yesterday!
Old 12-10-2023, 05:59 PM

A few months ago, I had asked for a few ideas from fellows to be fielded on a new loading room and bench. It’s been a slow roll getting it finished but, I’m almost there. Just finished the jointing of the bench halves this afternoon. I’d never done that specific vein of carpentry before. Turned out alright.

I’m not sure if I’ll end up regretting in or not, but in the efforts of keeping the wall space above the bench and below the upper shelving clean for hanging tools and an Inline Fab wall rack system, I opted to have my power outlets below the bench top. In the picture are two bench top power outlets. There’s two 110V receptacles and two USB per bank. I can either leave them raised up a touch or router a recess to have them flush. I’ve procured dummy plugs for all in the event I do mount them flush or leave them proud. Spillage of powder or primers being my only concern.

The chaos is driving me nuts but it’s the home stretch now. Stain, epoxy and trim will be getting done in the coming days and I can finally get everything organized. I’ll be going with a 4” riser with quick change plate for my press from Inline. Imagine my next purchase following completion will either be a Henderson 3:1 trimmer or an FX120.

I should mention, the entire room was constructed as legal storage. Industrial steel door and frame etc. I won’t get into the nitty gritty of construction details, but good luck getting in there without several hours to kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2023, 06:08 PM

Sweeeettt!
Old 12-10-2023, 06:15 PM

Very nice. It’s sure nice having a dedicated gun/reloading room.
Old 12-10-2023, 06:58 PM

Very nice Lou very nice indeed and should be very functional

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-11-2023, 09:02 AM

Thanks fellas!
Old 01-29-2024, 06:42 PM

At long last, I’m through fire forming all my brass from 6mm Rem to 6mm Rem Ackley Improved. Shot three five round groups of full heat test loads yesterday and chrono’d while doing so. Full disclosure, it wasn’t my best effort. Had to take several breaks as I wasn’t uber consistent with my form. But by a stroke of fortune with 5 good squeezes, I did find one that shot well. Rolled up a bunch this morning and the coyotes are in for a world of hurt once more.

75gr V-Max
50.7gr IMR 4831
210M
FL Sized Rem Brass
CBTO - 2.282” // COAL - 2.755”
Fits in the box mag and feeds flawlessly
3556fps

I could potentially go higher in charge yet but, doubt I will. This is a full 10% faster than my fire forming loads and is plenty fast. I’m on the back half of barrel life now so, I’d rather use it up killing stuff than punching paper. That being said, I had a charge 50fps slower that had a much tighter ES and SD. I will revisit that when I’m having a good bench day. I don’t think I gave it a proper chance to shine. But in the meantime, these will do just fine.

Last edited by Big Lou; 01-29-2024 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:45 PM

That should drop a dog pretty fast! Very nice.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
That should drop a dog pretty fast! Very nice.
Oh Andy, that bullet is one of the greatest coyote killing projectiles ever created! And that weight, for varmint work, is where a 6mm really starts to shine if you ask me. As if it wasn’t good enough before, it just got better.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:37 PM

I tried cleaning my bench I can see some of the top now
Old 01-30-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
At long last, I’m through fire forming all my brass from 6mm Rem to 6mm Rem Ackley Improved. Shot three five round groups of full heat test loads yesterday and chrono’d while doing so. Full disclosure, it wasn’t my best effort. Had to take several breaks as I wasn’t uber consistent with my form. But by a stroke of fortune with 5 good squeezes, I did find one that shot well. Rolled up a bunch this morning and the coyotes are in for a world of hurt once more.

75gr V-Max
50.7gr IMR 4831
210M
FL Sized Rem Brass
CBTO - 2.282” // COAL - 2.755”
Fits in the box mag and feeds flawlessly
3556fps

I could potentially go higher in charge yet but, doubt I will. This is a full 10% faster than my fire forming loads and is plenty fast. I’m on the back half of barrel life now so, I’d rather use it up killing stuff than punching paper. That being said, I had a charge 50fps slower that had a much tighter ES and SD. I will revisit that when I’m having a good bench day. I don’t think I gave it a proper chance to shine. But in the meantime, these will do just fine.

Very nice Lou, that should be proper medicine for yotes way out there what twist do you have in your rifle, I have a 1:7.5 in my 6mm creedmoor and can't seem to get it to shoot anything lighter than 90gr

Old 01-30-2024, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Very nice Lou, that should be proper medicine for yotes way out there what twist do you have in your rifle, I have a 1:7.5 in my 6mm creedmoor and can't seem to get it to shoot anything lighter than 90gr
I have a 1:8 Krieger. It’s shot everything from 58-105gr so far. Save 87s. I have some but never tried them. They were going to be option #2 if the 75s didn’t shoot.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:04 AM

I took my old Rockchucker apart for a complete cleaning and lube. I did the same with the Lyman 55 dropper and a little orange paint. Both are working and looking great.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 02-01-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I have a 1:8 Krieger. It’s shot everything from 58-105gr so far. Save 87s. I have some but never tried them. They were going to be option #2 if the 75s didn’t shoot.
Thanks Lou, the lightest I tried was 87gr and they were not good, so I made the bold assumption that anything lighter would probably not be great either, the 90's and 95's shoot ok but not as good as the 103 or 105's and the 108, 109 and 112 shoot tiny little bug holes.

Old 02-01-2024, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Thanks Lou, the lightest I tried was 87gr and they were not good, so I made the bold assumption that anything lighter would probably not be great either, the 90's and 95's shoot ok but not as good as the 103 or 105's and the 108, 109 and 112 shoot tiny little bug holes.
You’re welcome Ed. If you wanted to play around with something lighter for something to do, I have some 6mm 15 bullet sample packs that I’m not going to use. I think the heaviest is 80 or 85gr in those. But if you’re shooting bug holes with heavier pills already, I’d fully understand wanting to stay up there. I’ve often thought about some heavier bullets being some excellent Antelope medicine, should I get drawn again in my lifetime that is.
Old 02-01-2024, 02:30 PM

Was listening to a Hornady Podcast and they had a blurb about some initial load development in regards to fast tracking the discovery of bullet/powder combinations that a barrel may prefer. Figured I’d give it a try as it’s a new tactic to me. I only have H1000 and Retumbo to try. I have N570 as well but that might be a touch slow for 140-160gr pills. So, minimum charges for both powders using each bullet. 140 & 160gr Accubonds. 160gr Partition and 150gr TTSX. Just three round groups and all at book COAL to start. CBTO on the Noslers ended up pretty close across the board. The Barnes CBTO is about 0.030” more jump. This 28 Nosler shoots the 160gr factory Accubond well enough and all but I want better. I’ve got the heavy for cal department covered with other rifles in the safe so I’m hoping to have this one be a flat shooting thumper. Wish I had some 140gr TTSX to try as well but, no desire to head into the city as of right now. Hopefully, something stands out on paper and I can work up to a higher velocity, without chewing through a bunch of components and barrel. Guess I’ll see if there is merit.

Old 04-16-2024, 10:25 AM

Whipped up some .308 rounds using Barnes 175 grain LRX

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 04-29-2024, 09:36 AM

Checked and reset the headspace setting on the die for my .223 Musgrave it is very close the the .223 model 600 but about .0015 shorter.
The difference can be felt in the bolt drop
Cat
Old 04-29-2024, 07:55 PM

Loaded 40 rounds of 260 Rem with 100 TTSXs and varying charges of Big Game, H4350 and IMR4350.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:28 PM

Mounted up a Delata Stryker 5 x 50 x 56 . Not a big fan of the locking turrets or illuminated reticle but has ED glass , zero stop. Turret clicks feel good. When it quits snowing and raining will give er a test at various distances.
Old 04-30-2024, 01:43 PM

Default Reloading 410

After years of procrastination I finally got around to converting an old MEC 600 12 gauge press to 410, As if that wasn't enough of an undertaking, actually loading 410 cases was a sizable pain in the ass. I have loaded 12 and 20 gauge for years but this is a whole new game, I am succeeding though and very happy to be able to produce my own in these current times of short supply and high prices. D.H.
Old 08-07-2024, 10:06 AM

Built a couple ladder tests for the 7mm.. 160 gr accubonds. Case prep for a 300wm to get a friend on the straight and narrow...