Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-28-2011, 12:22 AM

Default Stainless Steel Care

Okay, this is a really retarded question.

I, *cough*, Thirty-Thirty am a recovering milsurpaholic.

Randomly decided one day that I wasn't using most of them and didn't like them and got rid of them. I'd used a Savage Model 340 and my SVT-40 for hunting purposes before, but decided I wanted to do better, so I got rid of all my milsurp stuff and got two new rifles.

One of them is a second hand (pre 2008 when the morons at remington ruined them) Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. This is for bear and hopefully, moose.

Now.

I've never had a stainless gun before.

Any tips or gotchas on looking after it? Anything special I need to do with it? Hell, this is my first lever too. Gonna require some practice. I dunno how I'm slower at operating a lever than a bolt, but . . .

Sigh. =)

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 AM

Nothing too weird , just care for it as you would any other blued rifle.
They WILL rust however if neglected, contrary to what some people think!
The amount of rust resistance is directly related to how much nickle and other stuff they put into the metal, and too much of a good thing has its negative characteristics as well, so things have to be added in balance.

Cat
Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Precisionshooter

In most cases, what makes matters worse is the combination of regular steel parts and stainless. The buyer assumes the entire rifle is stainless (and won't corrode) but there are other parts which are not stainless and those corrode even faster when exposed to the right conditions.

Cat's recommendation is a good one.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:47 AM

Default !

Very cool.

Thank you, Gentlemen.

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:43 PM

What do you mean before the morons at Remington ruined them?

I talked to Petra earlier and she suggested a different outcome.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:48 PM

Remington took over Marlin and moved the factory.

Ever since, Marlins have been having horrible QC issues.

It's basically to the point that you have to check and inspect every Marlin product at a store before taking it home. Forget ordering online or from most people, unless it's an older Marlin.

Do a google search on it. Some nasty things have been happening. Actions that won't work, jammed rounds constantly, even levers sticking and locking..

Old 06-28-2011, 03:51 PM

K .....for what it's worth...

410 and 416 are considered Ordenance grade stainless alloys. These grades of stainless are not considered high-grade stainless. They do not have enough nickel in them. However, the higher grade stainless alloys (ie. 304, 316, etc) do not have the physical properties required for firearms. 410 and 416 both have higher yields and tensiles.

They will rust. Not only that, but as mentioned any stainless will rust if it comes into contact with carbon steel. Carbon steel contamination of stainless is so common that even contact with gravel may contain enough carbon that the contamination to the stainless may cause rusting at that point.

Consider a stainless firearm. Rust resistant, at best. Care and cleaning is required as Cat has stated.

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 06-28-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-28-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty-30 View Post
Remington took over Marlin and moved the factory.

Ever since, Marlins have been having horrible QC issues.

It's basically to the point that you have to check and inspect every Marlin product at a store before taking it home. Forget ordering online or from most people, unless it's an older Marlin.

Do a google search on it. Some nasty things have been happening. Actions that won't work, jammed rounds constantly, even levers sticking and locking..

I recall now, had to look it up. I remember fearing Marlin would close forever.

But I haven't had any experience with new Remington stuff. While looking it up I see quality is an issue, many Marlins sent back to the factory.

I talked to Petra earlier and she suggested a different outcome.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:14 PM

Yep... whilst I may 'do okay' financially, I don't have enough money to fritter that I can afford to not research my 'big' purchases thoroughly and a guide gun + limbsaver + leupold is a big purchase for me.

The QC issues are -horrible-