Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-25-2011, 10:24 AM

Default Savage Axis Rifle

Thinking about buying a new rifle for a friend. This is her first gun, so I was looking at the Savage Axis in a 270. Anybody have some experiance with this gun. You definitely cant quible about the price, however do they shoot and are they dependable. My personal past with some Savages hasnt been stellar. Both rifle accuracy and function have been in question, then again I seen some shoot little cloverleafs. Any comments.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:36 PM

I have an Edge in a 270 - the same I think as an Axis. It shoots great and had been very dependable. I did put a rifle basix trigger on which improved things immensely.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:55 PM

savage rifles are accurate. Read this:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/minu...ut-of-the-box/
I have an edge in 30'06 and love it. It's accurate, durable, and works as designed. It's no frills functionality for very little money.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
savage rifles are accurate. Read this:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/minu...ut-of-the-box/
I have an edge in 30'06 and love it. It's accurate, durable, and works as designed. It's no frills functionality for very little money.
In the price range your looking at the savage is probabaly your best bet. Whatever you do dont waste your money on the remington 770 its fairly accurate but the action is the worst Ive ever seen(glad it wasnt mine). another buddy has a savage axis and likes it I personally havent tried it though
Old 06-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Banned

Have you checked out the Mosburg 4X4? Similar price to the Savage, and seems very good for a cheap rifle. WSS has them on sale under $300, and the Marlin XC7 is just over $300.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Thinking about buying a new rifle for a friend. This is her first gun, so I was looking at the Savage Axis in a 270. Anybody have some experiance with this gun. You definitely cant quible about the price, however do they shoot and are they dependable. My personal past with some Savages hasnt been stellar. Both rifle accuracy and function have been in question, then again I seen some shoot little cloverleafs. Any comments.
If you own a Savage rifle that you are not happy with I would like to buy it from you. If they are as bad as you say they are they can't be worth much.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:25 AM

Smile I have 2

I'm now buying a tactical scope for the 223 that costs much more than the rifle but the gun needs it. It shoots better than anything I have owned. It the holes aren't touching at 100M I wouldn't buy it. This one is better.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:28 AM

I haven't personally shot the axis yet, but I was looking at them quite a bit. I imagine they shoot just as accurate as my savage 111fcxp3 but thee was one thing thst turned me off, and that was that, the clip release is plastic, and I can see it getting brittle and cracking in our harsh alberta winters! And the matte barrel, other than those two minor personal things it seems like a great gun!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:08 PM

I have read a review of the edge/axis where the specifically focused on the magazine release. They tested it out of the freezer and smashed the magazine release against concrete repeatedly. It didn't break.

Depending on what kind of polymer they used, it can actually be more flexible and resiliant than an aluminum release. They used a single polymer magazine base and release obviously to save on costs in manufacturing through simplicity but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a cheap material. There are various grades of polymer compounds. This one, apparently, is quite durable.

As I said, I have an Edge, and the magazine release has given me no trouble yet. the polymer is so thick and strong there is now way I can even push the release flush against the body of the magazine.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:09 PM

Default axis

I've got 22-250 axis,and also need to upgrade the scope. They shoot great out of the box. In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Savage.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:58 PM

son bought me an axis in 25-06 acouple of weeks ago and with my handloads i am shooting smaller than 1" groups at 100 yards. scope was not tightened properly and i am going to put a basix trigger on it but for the money i think it is worth it. good luck in your choice.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Banned

Not sure as to how Savage does it in a production rifle. But I do know one thing for sure, they'll shoot against rifles worth 10 times their worth, and by that I mean Sako, Cooper, Weatherby etc. I'll take an off the shelf ugly Savage and shoot it off the shelf against a purdy whatsoever.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:50 PM

Handled a buddy's axis 243, great shooting rifle. Only drawbacks I noticed was the bolt was a little stiff to open and close on a chambered shell and the bolt throw is a little high to the point where you can whack your thumb against the scope. IMO I would spend the extra $40-$50 and get a model 111.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Not sure as to how Savage does it in a production rifle. But I do know one thing for sure, they'll shoot against rifles worth 10 times their worth, and by that I mean Sako, Cooper, Weatherby etc. I'll take an off the shelf ugly Savage and shoot it off the shelf against a purdy whatsoever.
That should stir things up a bit.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:14 PM

I questioned my dealer about this when I first saw those plastic S type clips on the Axis mags. I myself figured they'd never last in the cold!.
He said.... I think I'm going to be overwhelmed with the warranty work on those friggen(milder word inserted) plastic clips on the magazines. That was almost a year ago. Well, I asked him last month how many he got back for warranty and how many he had to replace or repair...NONE!!!! Shocked the chit outta me he said..
Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 PM

How many years have tikka been using the polymer based clips? That was one of the things I asked my dealer about when I bought my x-bolt which also has the "plastic" clip. He told me not to worry about their strength, he has yet to have a plastic clip come back damaged compared to all the metal ones he has replaced that were damaged.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
That should stir things up a bit.
Yet it's completely supported by the article I posted earlier in this thread. No one would really argue that Savages are shooters. No one who knows his ass from a tea kettle, that is.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:25 AM

You don't have to tell me. I love em. Be hard pressed to buy something else.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Banned

a friend came out yesterday to dial in his new 223. i was very impressed with the accuracy of the rifle.

was was very unimpressed with:
the magazine, it was slow to load
the fact that you can't just throw a shell in or else it jams
the fact that it failed to eject every other round regardless of bolt speed
the trigger
it's looks (i'm shallow)

am i upset that i spent over a grand on my varmint rifle when he got his for under $400??? not at all
Old 06-27-2011, 08:53 PM

I herd the recoil lug was a little funny. Does anyone know or have you seen it. Something about it stays in the stock? Or something?
Old 06-27-2011, 09:08 PM

The trigger was my issue.
$2 and 1/2 to fix it to a 4lb trigger.
bought a role pin and a light spring and presto, 100% better trigger.