Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-26-2011, 10:45 AM

Default choice

Either get new relatives or figure out your house rules and stick with them. My experience is that anti-firearms folks are very subject to the situation with the general condition being they don't need a firearm so no one else should. If they ever need one - you are their best friend.

Don't be all over the map. Figure out how things will be in your household and stick to it.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutter View Post
It's the prerogative of the parent to decide what they want their kid exposed to. For example, I feel all the problems of the world can be directly associated to soccer, and if we banned soccer, the world would be a better place. Is there anything wrong with me instilling my opinions on my offspring? I don't think so.

Dad doesn't want his kid exposed to guns. So What? Put on your Big-Boy panties and move on. People have different opinions and that's the way it is.
I think this was more about spending time with the kid, and yes you should respect the parents wishes but regardless its a bad situation I dont think the big issue is teaching the kid to shoot its about having him over in a house with EVIL (joke) guns. Agreed on the soccer though. LOL
Old 06-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
There's a star in front of *issing...I'm hoping the star is blocking out a "P" and not a "K"??? Clarification please...

jk

Well my motto is ' Semper Gumby" always flexible.

So if the "K' works for you, fine.

Hope this helps

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Well my motto is ' Semper Gumby" always flexible.

So if the "K' works for you, fine.

Hope this helps
Epic.

I talked to Petra earlier and she suggested a different outcome.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:07 AM

Have you tried inviting the father to go out and shoot with you. Just you and him, so you can speak frankly and maybe he can gain a better understanding of how firearms work and the care you use to make sure they are handles, used and stored in a safe manner. I am not saying this is the case with this guy but often the fear comes from ignorance. Maybe he has never really been around firearms, or the ones he has been around have been handled by people that did not put safety at a paramount.

If I grew up thinking that all rabbits were like the rabbit on search for the holy grail and no one ever took the time to re-educate me and explain to me the differences between myth and reality I would never let my boys go over to some ones house that raised rabbits lol. Silly example I know, but it does happen. There are many people out there (again not sure about this guy) that do not have an ounce of experience with fire arms, or have been introduced to them by idiots that misuse them. maybe a day at the range with the father would settle him down a bit and also build some family relations that might inject some stability into his home life.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Your house your rules. If they are properly stored and someone still has a problem with it, they can pound sand.
Amen...

My sister and her husband are both against firearms but managed to have a couple boys. Young boys are always interested in guns but my sister did her best to stifle it in them, which naturally only made them more curious and interested.

It all came to a head when my mom and dad bought them toy guns on a family trip. They became a *little* more accepting of the whole idea but I still get stink eye from my sister when the topic comes up.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:18 PM

To me it's simple

Your house your rules

His kid his rules

The how's and why' of his position are irrelevant, being confrontational won't change his position it will only strengthen it.

So it depends on if you want a relationship with the kid, if you do you have to follow the parent rules. I know if an in-law did not follow my wishes with one of my boys I'd flush them in a heart beat, or faster.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Banned

the mother in law has been to my house twice since we finished building it in jan 2010

the father in law comes over every other day for coffee and to chat

the mother in law doesn't like guns and doesn't like hunting

the father in law doesn't care

it makes me like guns and hunting that much more
Old 06-27-2011, 05:49 PM

I don't deal worry about it too much. I had the same problem with the inlaws - it is really just a rouse because they really don't care for me.

Last Christmas they flew out to spend Christmas with us....the guns became an issue (locked up in a safe by the way).

No problem, threw them out 3 days early and they got to spend the rest of the holidays in a hotel.

My house, my rules - when I am at other peoples places I respect the same principle.