Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-26-2011, 11:21 PM

Default AFGA 2011 Fishing Resolutions - Opinions?

AFGA has released their 2011 resolutions to be presented to the government. Here are the Fishing related regulations changes requested.
What do you think?

http://www.afga.org/index.html
( see right sidebar Latest Library Docs - 2011 Resolutions)

Quote:
2011 AFGA GENERAL RESOLUTIONS

GENERAL RESOLUTION NUMBER G-1-2011
Signage and Enforcement in Camping Areas

BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Alberta Fish and Game Association request that Alberta Sustainable Resource Development place appropriate signage at popular random camping areas throughout the Province and conduct extensive enforcement to ensure random camping does not result in litter being left in these areas.

BRIEF: Some random campers are leaving litter behind them in many areas of the Province, and we fear that all random campers may suffer from the actions of a few. Targeting the offenders now is necessary to ensure the freedom of responsible random camping to continue.

FISHERIES RESOLUTIONS

FISHERIES RESOLUTION NUMBER F-1-2011
Non-Resident Canadian Angling License Fee

BE IT RESOLVED THAT Alberta Sustainable Resource Development increase the non-resident Canadian angling license fee to achieve parity with neighbouring provinces.

BRIEF: Presently Alberta has a one price system for residents and non-resident Canadians. Each year we notice a higher influx of non-resident Canadians fishing our streams and lakes.

FISHERIES RESOLUTION NUMBER F-2-2011
Disclosure of Number of Walleye Tags for Special Lakes and Fish Sizes

BE IT RESOLVED THAT the number of walleye tags (i.e. in each lake and for each size grouping) to be issued in any year be made available to anglers prior to the draw.

BRIEF: The angler should be made aware of the number of available tags prior to the draw so that they are able to make better choices before entering the draw and spending money on walleye draws that have small opportunities for success.

FISHERIES RESOLUTION NUMBER F-3-2011
FWIN Program Walleye Management

BE IT RESOLVED THAT the killing of fish by government for the Fall Walleye Index Netting Program be terminated until clear justification be provided that describes why this information is necessary and why this information cannot be gathered from fish harvested by anglers, commercial fishermen or domestic fishermen.

BRIEF: The need for gathering walleye population information by killing the fish, especially at small lakes, does not appear to be warranted, as no harvests are being permitted. A limited walleye harvest based upon lake productive capability could be established and anglers could be allowed to harvest and use this limited harvest.

· FWIN lakes tested in 2010 included 38 lakes and included the following:
o Jackson Lake (complete), Kinnaird Lake (complete), Blackett Lake (complete), Lac La Biche (complete), Pinehurst (in progress), Winefred (was scheduled but will not be complete due to low temperatures)
o Net Lake, Unnamed (Brutus) Lake, and Keith Lake, all located within the Richardson back country area
o Smoke and Iosegun Lakes were not surveyed because of water temperatures
o Orloff, Skeleton, Amisk, Long, Seibert, Laurier, Cold, Garner, Brutus, Net, Keith, Jackson, Bluett, Kinnard and Pinehurst Lakes. Also Lac Bellevue and Lac La Biche are all planned
o Rolling Hills Reservoir and Crawling Valley Reservoir
o Sylvan Lake, Wizard Lake, Pigeon Lake, Buck Lake
o Lesser Slave Lake, Snipe Lake, Winagami Lake, North Wabasca Lake, South Wabasca Lake

 Fall gill netting program that has been conducted in over 50 lakes during the past 10 years by ACA and by the Alberta Government
· Establish CPUE (# walleye/100 sq. m/24 hours). Numbers range from Heart Lake at 2 to Buck Lake at 44.3
· H. Norris indicated the government program (prior to 2009) was testing about 11 lakes per year and killing about 300 walleye/lake and 100 pike/lake plus other fish.

FISHERIES RESOLUTION NUMBER F-4-2011
Northern Pike Management

BE IT RESOLVED THAT the general provincial catch limits for northern pike be changed to allow a maximum daily catch of 2 fish with no size limit restriction, and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT lakes requiring special northern pike limits be established when specific biological information supports either increased or more restrictive regulation.

BRIEF: Many lakes with smaller sized pike are not being utilized. Risk to the elimination of northern pike is extremely low. Fish habitat is linked to high production years that influence pike production more than angling. Simplification of fisheries regulations would be desirable.

FISHERIES RESOLUTION NUMBER F-5-2011
Yellow Perch Management

BE IT RESOLVED THAT the general provincial catch limits for yellow perch be changed to allow a maximum daily catch of 15 fish with no size limit restriction, and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT lakes requiring special yellow perch limits be established when specific biological information supports either increased or more restrictive regulations.

BRIEF: Many lakes with smaller sized perch are not being utilized. Risk to the elimination of yellow perch is extremely low. Fish habitat is linked to high production years that influence yellow perch production more than angling. Simplification of fisheries regulations would be desirable.

FISHERIES RESOLUTION NUMBER F-6-2011
Lake Sturgeon Management

BE IT RESOLVED THAT the government should provide detailed information on the status and population trends of lake sturgeon for public review prior to any consideration for endangered species designation.

BRIEF: There is a concern about the possibility the lake sturgeon will be declared an endangered or threatened species in Alberta. The concern is in the accuracy of the government information on numbers of lake sturgeon inhabiting the North Saskatchewan River.

FISHERIES RESOLUTION NUMBER F-7-2011
Ban on Use of Kernel Corn as Bait

BE IT RESOLVED THAT Alberta Sustainable Resource Development list in the Provincial Fishing Regulations that all stocked trout lakes ban the use of kernel corn as bait.

BRIEF: When kernel corn is used as bait, the fish cannot digest the large kernels as it plugs up the digestive tract of the trout and they lose weight and eventually die, as the corn cannot pass through the anus of the trout.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:34 PM

I thought the whole corn getting stuck in trout myth was resolved several years ago...
Old 06-26-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
I thought the whole corn getting stuck in trout myth was resolved several years ago...
Maybe some new information has been compiled since then? I don't know.

Bio's discovered the same issue with Wild Turkeys. Whole kernal corn can kill turkeys, and quickly.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:45 PM

hmm I would love to read that research on trout...it's tough to make statements like that without any research to back it up
Old 06-26-2011, 11:51 PM

I thought that maybe something would be in there about ice fishing shacks being left on the ice too late in the season. WIN card #'s posted on the outside of them, or even permits for the shacks.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 06-27-2011, 07:27 AM

another thing hat seems to amaze me is..if a fishery doesnot allow gas powered motors on it,WHY then in the winter season does it allow for driving vechiles onto the ice
Old 06-27-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
I thought that maybe something would be in there about ice fishing shacks being left on the ice too late in the season. WIN card #'s posted on the outside of them, or even permits for the shacks.
WIN numbers I would agree with too, the season can change from year to year as we saw this winter.

The 2 pike limit I can agree with, although most lakes dont get enforced now as it is, are they going to hire more officers? I also like the idea of allowing harvesting a smaller size of pike, some lakes are so full of smaller pike that its almost impossible to get a lure to a bigger fish. That way the poachers can help clean up a lot of the smaller fish and leave more room for the big girls.

Why not open the trout lakes already with perch in them for perch harvest, not allowing them to be harvested does nothing to get rid of them, just allows for the perch to continue to reproduce. A lot of the ponds down south get their water from the irrigation canals so the perch get into them all by themselves, no buckets needed. Why only allow harvest from one particular pond in the province? Do we need to build giant easter eggs at all of them to allow a perch harvest????? Maybe open some to a no limit weekend once a year to help make a dent in the population.
Or even better, quit wasting money stocking trout in them and put in bass instead to help control the perch

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-27-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Why not open the trout lakes already with perch in them for perch harvest, not allowing them to be harvested does nothing to get rid of them, just allows for the perch to continue to reproduce. A lot of the ponds down south get their water from the irrigation canals so the perch get into them all by themselves, no buckets needed. Why only allow harvest from one particular pond in the province? Do we need to build giant easter eggs at all of them to allow a perch harvest????? Maybe open some to a no limit weekend once a year to help make a dent in the population.
Or even better, quit wasting money stocking trout in them and put in bass instead to help control the perch
Nothing wrong with making a bunch of eggs, and don't forget the perogies.

An updated compilation of Stocked ponds with unwanted perch. Most of them allow a perch harvest, the rest will soon. Is the list incomplete?

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/ManagingPr...t-Mar-2010.pdf
Old 06-27-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
hmm I would love to read that research on trout...it's tough to make statements like that without any research to back it up
dude, of coarse they did research...do you honestly think they just make this stuff up so we can just say "oh...how do you know thats true?" well lets see...obviously they fed some trout corn and they died from the intestinal tract being blocked..they recorded that and released a report.. you need to do research in order to make an official AFGA report...it would be too easy to just call them out and continue using corn if they did not do research..these people make there living doing exactly what your saying there not...

think before you type.

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 06-27-2011, 11:58 AM

So it looks like a loss of 7 (8?) trout lakes to the bucket brigade, where SRD will no longer stock trout.

Also looks like SRD is only looking at rehabilitating 1 single lake.

Pathetic.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0liver View Post
dude, of coarse they did research...do you honestly think they just make this stuff up so we can just say "oh...how do you know thats true?" well lets see...obviously they fed some trout corn and they died from the intestinal tract being blocked..they recorded that and released a report.. you need to do research in order to make an official AFGA report...it would be too easy to just call them out and continue using corn if they did not do research..these people make there living doing exactly what your saying there not...

think before you type.
Unfortunately Oliver, it appears that it is more anecdotal than we would like to admit. A number of delegates reported finding dead trout full of corn at a couple stocked lakes. There IS research that seems to indicate that fish can digest a small amount of corn, but what appears to be happening is some ice fishermen (not judging - just saying) are dumping their can of corn down the hole when they are done for the day (and some are "chumming" with corn to pull trout into their area - which is illegal BTW). The trout gorge themselves on the corn and then cannot digest it, then they die.

Unfortunately no one has actually done the research on how much / little corn it takes to kill an average sized trout. The resolution was made more on the "precautionary principle". If people would not dump their left over bait at the end of the day, this would not be a problem.

FYI, there is a similar situation with worms. People dump their container of worms on the ground at the end of the day and we now have different species of worms where none existed before. The ecological ramifications of this is poorly understood, though it may be significant.

I believe people are doing these things out of genuine ignorance; not understanding that what they are doing could be damaging the resource they love.

IMO, education would be a much better tool to solve this problem, but it is just cheaper to ban corn then go though the trouble of explaining why.

As for the AFGA resolutions, they are the product of individuals proposing a resolution, a club and AFGA Zone endorsing them to be worthy of discussion at the provincial level, and then delegates debating the issue and individuals voting on it at conference. In no way does any resolution have to based on scientific fact or even reasonable evidence. They are a product of a democratic process, that's all.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:

think before you type.
why don't you read before you type...I said the only research I have ever heard of showed they did NOT die from being fed corn. I also said I would love to read the research on this as I have never seen it before. Is it so obvious that they did their own independent research on feeding corn to trout? Would this not be something they would publish if they found evidence that contradicts previous research? Have you ever opened up a trout and found a crayfish in it's gut? Your telling me a small kernel of corn can't be passed by a trout but yet the carapace of a crayfish can? From the simple fact that they made an absolute statement with respect to corn digestion and previous research has shown in at least one independent study to contradict that statement, causes me to question the proposal. Am I missing something here Oliver?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:

think before you type.

just a point Ty is in the fisheries business, im surprized if this is a well researched issue he has not heard of it
Old 06-27-2011, 12:21 PM

as walking buffalo stated, they probably just did research and found that indeed, it dose clog up there guts. and with regards to your useless statement about crayfish...
if crayfish are naturally found in bodies of water where trout live then there digestive systems can obviously deal with there natural food source. now, corn on the other hand is meant for humans, NOT fish. When was the last time you saw corn plants growing in the local trout pond. Yeah, I haven't either.

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 06-27-2011, 12:31 PM

and I didn't say whether or not that the results of there studies are accurate, I was just saying that obviously, if an official report is released, they did some research.
but i guess if ty is some how qualified by being in the "fisheries business"? i guess he can just say that no such research was done, without actually doing the research himself.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:33 PM

Having re-read the resolution, I do not think the problem is the corn not passing through the trout's anus. It is likely that it is not making it past the stomach. I do not know who wrote the wording contained in the release, but it is poorly explained (as it was in the wording of the resolution at conference); once the issue was debated the information I posted above was relayed and the majority of delegates supported the resolution.

Everyone needs to take a step back from the keyboard and breathe.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
and I didn't say whether or not that the results of there studies are accurate, I was just saying that obviously, if an official report is released, they did some research.
but i guess if ty is some how qualified by being in the "fisheries business"? i guess he can just say that no such research was done, without actually doing the research himself.
Oliver, I think you are confused about the resolutions. The AFGA is the Alberta Fish and Game Association NOT the ministry of Sustainable Resources Development. The AFGA is made up of fishing, hunting and conservation minded people from AB. The AFGA (the Public) proposes regulation changes to SRD (the Government) that have been voted on by delegates at our annual conference.

Again, there is no research connected with the AFGA and this issue.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:41 PM

Im sorely mistaken, my gosh. I can see how easy it is for some of these threads to just go off the handel. My apologies to the mods, ty and anyone else writing walls of text to flame me or anyone else.

*edit* this isn't sarcasm, im actually mistaken. im sorry.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Im sorely mistaken, my gosh. I can see how easy it is for some of these threads to just go off the handel. My apologies to the mods, ty and anyone else writing walls of text to flame me or anyone else.

*edit* this isn't sarcasm, im actually mistaken. im sorry.
no biggy Oliver.....the funniest part is TY is searching thru all his mail and reports....asking why did i not hear about this research on corn....ahhahhahaa.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:49 PM

I'm sure Ty will forgive you.

It is real easy to misread a post and get yourself into a position where an apology is in order. God knows I've had to make a few myself.

I have written a couple ranting offensive responses to members, only to reread the offending sentence or two to realize that I read wrong, and was lucky enough to catch it before I hit Submit Reply.

Live and learn.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
...the funniest part is ty is searching thru all his mail and reports....asking why did i not hear about this research on corn....ahhahhahaa.
lol
Old 06-27-2011, 12:53 PM

yeah, I was busy hunting the e-nets looking for something to back my own argument up, s*** out of luck may as well admit your own mistake before things get hairy. But still, I think that the corn and trout thing is pretty sticky. Its like dogs eating chocolate, lots of other animals can eat chocolate, i mean its squishy and not hard to digest, whats the issue? well dogs don't have the proper enzymes to digest chocolate, so they get the runs and or get pretty sick...my buddies roomate can't eat pork because of the same problem. Maybe some trout can partially digest the corn, and pass it threw as long as its not to much...

my 2 cents. and again sorry for the misunderstanding.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
no biggy Oliver.....the funniest part is TY is searching thru all his mail and reports....asking why did i not hear about this research on corn....ahhahhahaa.
haha if only that weren't true....zingggg
Old 06-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

I rebuilt 5 industrial septic tanks, big enough to stack 5 Ford F 150's in each tank,,, the two worst items in one tank was #1/grease and #2/corn, it just would not digest. In my final report on the failure of the Dining Hall/Kitchen Tank, I recommended that corn be pulled off the menu and substitute carrots for colour,, no joke,,, stupid corn & grease cost 6 trucks barged in with a bill on that one septic tank being $54,000 (cost of barge/tug/trucks/labour) and it was 34celcius (can you say poo-smell to the power of a thousand). Quick note, other failure's/pipe jams were caused by wet-wipes. Weirdest thing was a whole G.I Joe (how he got down the toilet is beyond Sherlock Holmes inquiry). Oh, and if you like hunting duck, well some of them have passed open Septic where they gorge on all that nummy corn, (consulted on a job on capping an open tank),,, as for fishing with corn, that's even below my redneck standards.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:59 PM

now Oliver isnt the only one confussed,save me a chair....lol
Old 06-27-2011, 03:07 PM

oh. dear.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
now Oliver isnt the only one confussed,save me a chair....lol
haha...corn is in a lot of commercial trout feed for aquaculture...and begin the debate!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
oh. dear.

ahahahhahhah....i wish i had said that
Old 06-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Banned

it's not confusing, the thread digressed into posting about corn, so I gave my two bit's on corn. So regarding a trout passing a kernel or 3 of corn would be akin to you trying to pass a dufflebag full of hockey equipment or a ten pin bowling ball. I think they need to look into Powerbait before corn.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
haha...corn is in a lot of commercial trout feed for aquaculture...and begin the debate!
ground into dust and mixed with digestible alternatives no doubt !