Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Banned

Default where to go to take off for the weekend?

i was thinking about going and staying in a banff hotel but i'm not terribly keen on driving that far i want to be relaxing more than i am driving. anywhere 3 hours or so around edmonton that would be nice to stop in for a weekend?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM

How about Jasper or Camrose?

Ph: (780) 866-3732 | Toll Free: 1-888-8JASPER
Pocahontas Cabins

Experience the Rocky Mountains with family and friends in our cozy mountain cabins. A newly renovated lodge, thirteen log cabins with kitchen suites and a new outdoor hot tub are the latest updates to this perfect mountain getaway.

Spend the days exploring the interpretive trail, observing the wildlife or enjoying the stunning mountain views, and come back to a heated outdoor pool, mini putt and games room. Groceries are available for the kitchenettes and outdoor BBQ's, or try the great menu at Poco's Café. Located 25 minutes north east of Jasper and a scenic 15 minute drive from Miette Hot Springs.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post

Pocahontas Cabins

Experience the Rocky Mountains with family and friends in our cozy mountain cabins. A newly renovated lodge, thirteen log cabins with kitchen suites and a new outdoor hot tub are the latest updates to this perfect mountain getaway.

Spend the days exploring the interpretive trail, observing the wildlife or enjoying the stunning mountain views, and come back to a heated outdoor pool, mini putt and games room. Groceries are available for the kitchenettes and outdoor BBQ's, or try the great menu at Poco's Café. Located 25 minutes north east of Jasper and a scenic 15 minute drive from Miette Hot Springs.
ooooo a private cabin that would be amazing! i just want to stay under my limit of ~750 for food and stay.

you said camrose so i did a quick search and saw this

http://www.boomtowntrail.com/maps/index.php#

i think it might be worth a look too lloks like someone could stay at the rosebud inn and travel uo and down to see everythin
Old 06-23-2011, 11:34 AM

Default Nordegg

Nordegg is a decent spot, fairly quiet and not terrible on price. Hotel is nice, not 5 star by any strecth but far from a tent.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Banned

really it depends on what you want to do.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
really it depends on what you want to do.
just be a tourist and do touristy things. shop, get a massage, see things...

dinah came bear hunting in the mud and muck for a month so this is her treat.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:17 PM

Blackcat Ranch by Hinton
Old 06-23-2011, 12:19 PM

Doing that next weekend we are heading to Sylvan lake.
Booked the hotel, with free breakfast.
Pool, hottub and waterslide.

Got passes for the water park.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:22 PM

I wouldn't be to keen on taking a holiday to Camrose.

Nordegg would be a safer bet, there is a hostel there. Heard its nice and cheap, never been there myself.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:27 PM

I have never been,but everyone says the Overlander Mountain Lodge just outside of Hinton is a great weekend getaway for couples,and it is just a few seconds from the park gates.If your intentions are to pamper the missus this could be the place to go!
Old 06-23-2011, 01:59 PM

I know this is farther than what you had planned but we loved it at Kicking Horse in Golden.

http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/

Booked a couple weeks before the Sept long weekend last year and they gave us a 2 bdrm condo with private hot tub and bbq for just over $100/night.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:47 PM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

If you really want an upgrade drive south about 300KM's lol jj.
If you stay at the Nordegg Hostel bring ear plugs that building caries sound!. I forget what they are called but there is a couple of rental chalets up Shunda creek rd which we have stayed at that where awesome.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post

Pocahontas Cabins

I second this I've stayed there twice and have been really happy both times, can't wait to go back. It's a nice setting out of the town which is nice even if you don't spend much time in the cabin. Depending on the food you buy you'll most likely be well below your limit for the weekend Wherever you go, have fun.