Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 AM

Default Wood?...Synthetic??..Laminate???

What do you think is the ideal centerfire rifle stock for hunting??? I was told that synthetic is the nicest because of how light the rifle is and its tough for alberta hunting, however, i tend it has more recoil on most calibers.

Im looking to purchase the new Sako 85 bavarian in wood stock but i dont know if its a better idea to go with something else. It's my first new rifle and any input would be great. There are alot of gun owners on this board, so these are the inputs i would love to hear.

So what do you think?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 AM

IMHO...

-Can't beat the feel of wood...(minds out of the gutter)

-I like the looks of laminate BUT a good wood stock is also nice to look at...

-If its going to be a backpacking rifle I would go synthetic, lighter and takes abuse more.....can bump it and it likely won't leave an indent

-depends on preference and purpose.....benchrest vs. "tractor gun"

When you say "tough for Alberta hunting" you have to realize the hunting here is very diverse.....some guys never leave the prairies and some guys never leave the mountains.....both areas are like apples and oranges when it comes to conditions.

LC
Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 AM

Despite the haters out there, I like laminate stocks. In my opinion they combine most of the best features from synthetic and wood stocks. They have the warm feel and weight of wood and the water resistance, strength, and stability of synthetic. I like the way they look too, they get some pretty wild patterns when they mill them.

They also don't have the negatives of synethic/wood such as cracking due to misaligned grain, hollow or plasticy feel, higher perceived recoil due to weight, etc.

There's something to be said for a highly figured wood stock with a nice oil or glossy finish, but that's all visual appeal.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:40 AM

The most stable stock in changing humidity is a good quality synthetic stock, not a molded plastic stock, but a good quality composite stock like a McMillan, Manners,H-S Precision, and others. A good quality synthetic is also stronger and more durable than any wood stock, Mcmillan even offers an unconditional lifetime warranty that covers breakage, regardless of how the stock is broken. That being the case, all of my big game rifles wear composite synthetic stocks.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:40 PM

I have a Laminate stock on my Rem 280, I love how it looks. But I'm scared the whole time I'm carrying it, about scratching it etc. I took it sheep hunting last fall, and was on edge the whole time I was carrying it always thinking don't fall don't fall. So I bought a Savage 243 with a synthetic stock, and love that I don't have any stress about marking it up when I'm out hunting with it.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:48 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The most stable stock in changing humidity is a good quality synthetic stock, not a molded plastic stock, but a good quality composite stock like a McMillan, Manners,H-S Precision, and others. A good quality synthetic is also stronger and more durable than any wood stock, Mcmillan even offers an unconditional lifetime warranty that covers breakage, regardless of how the stock is broken. That being the case, all of my big game rifles wear composite synthetic stocks.
Unfortunately, composite and synthetic are great buzz words that really tell you nothing about what the stock is constructed from. Concrete is a composite material.

As for the OP, I'd vote synthetic but I do like the look of the laminates. Personally I'm not a fan of wood but there are countless great rifles stocked with wood.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:56 PM

For looks, wood--- hands down. For practicality, durability and recoil absorption---synthetic. I have seen a few laminates I liked the look of, but not many.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveY66 View Post
What do you think is the ideal centerfire rifle stock for hunting??? I was told that synthetic is the nicest because of how light the rifle is and its tough for alberta hunting, however, i tend it has more recoil on most calibers.

Im looking to purchase the new Sako 85 bavarian in wood stock but i dont know if its a better idea to go with something else. It's my first new rifle and any input would be great. There are alot of gun owners on this board, so these are the inputs i would love to hear.

So what do you think?
You cant beat a wood stock for beauty and Feel.Firearms were meant to be made from steel and wood,not synthetic chit.

I got a nice Bavarian (300WSM) just like the one you want to buy,I love the rifle!
Old 06-22-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, composite and synthetic are great buzz words that really tell you nothing about what the stock is constructed from.
That is exactly why I mentioned some specific examples such as McMillan, Manners, and H-S Precision., because all three are higher end synthetic stocks.

Quote:
Concrete is a composite material.
True, but how common are concrete stocks? They may exist, but I have yet to see one.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:37 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
True, but how common are concrete stocks? They may exist, but I have yet to see one.
Exactly my point
Old 06-22-2011, 08:38 AM

wood is real nice but feel bad taking it for a walk in the hills.
hi end wood turns a tool into art.
i prefer a non plastic composite,

i f concrete stocks go mainstream, a browning BAR would become a re-BAR rifle.
boy...is this going sideways fast!

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 06-22-2011, 03:47 PM

roger;wood is real nice but feel bad taking it for a walk in the hills.
hi end wood turns a tool into art.

The Key is to get your gun and just take it to the range for a year,then after the novelty wears off abit,the scratches and dings dont hurt as much....it's like when you buy a new truck,at first every scratch is like a knife wound to your heart,then in ten years your plowing down bush with the thing...or something to that effect.

Life's to short to hunt with an ugly Rifle and synthetic is Ugly...IMO of coarse
Old 06-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Beauty is as beauty does and I have synthetics that are much nicer in looks and ergonomics than a awful pile of wood stocks out there.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:03 PM

It's liek asking what do you like, blondes, brunettes or red heads! Everyone has their own preference. I beleive each stock material has their strong points, If I'm heading out to the mountains, synthetic all the way! Hunting in the woods, Walnut! Driving rain or snow Laminate or synthetic! Just bumming around. Walnut! Overall I have two laminates and 2 walnuts so I guess you know what I truly think by the guns I own.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:12 PM

Default love laminate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
IMHO...

-Can't beat the feel of wood...(minds out of the gutter)

LC
AMEN! HAHAHAHA! Sorry, I couldn't help it!

I think it really depends on what kind of hunting you want to do. I have a laminate stock on my Remington Mountain LSS. She is GORGEOUS! (but I may be biased....).

I bought my it last year (my first rifle) and went with laminate because I liked the look, and it was lighter than the wood would be for packing around in the bush.

I think laminate is the happy medium between wood and synthetic - slightly lighter than wood, slightly heavier than synthetic, less recoil than synthetic, slightly more recoil than wood and of course looks pretty (because we all know guys buy things based on esthetics)!!!!! General consensus is that if you are going to be hard on it (pushing lots of bush, sheep/goat hunting in rocky areas), get synthetic - wood and laminate scratch, then don't look very nice. But if you are tree stand and open area hunting, you are less likely to scratch it up. It is really a personal preference based on what kind of hunting you want to do (in my opinion) So.... happy shopping!?!?

If only money grew on trees.... For now I had to pick one rifle to be "multi purpose". Best case scenario is to have different rifles for different hunts, hands down agree!

Last edited by barbie_bambi_killer; 06-22-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-22-2011, 04:13 PM

Most of my hunitng rifles are two piece stocks anyway, so worrying about a POI change because of a bedding issue is not a big issue- EVERYBODY knows two piece stocks are not accurate!!
Cat
Old 06-22-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Beauty is as beauty does and I have synthetics that are much nicer in looks and ergonomics than a awful pile of wood stocks out there.
Thats true because of all the utilatarian wood stocked rifles out there....however there is no peice of plastic out there that is better looking than a hunk of exhibition Walnut.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Thats true because of all the utilatarian wood stocked rifles out there....however there is no peice of plastic out there that is better looking than a hunk of exhibition Walnut.
Bull. There is a TON of "exhibition" Walnut that has fallen victim to a hack with a checkering tool and a chisel. A TON.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie_bambi_killer View Post
AMEN! HAHAHAHA! Sorry, I couldn't help it!

I think it really depends on what kind of hunting you want to do. I have a laminate stock on my Remington Mountain LSS. She is GORGEOUS! (but I may be biased....).

I bought my it last year (my first rifle) and went with laminate because I liked the look, and it was lighter than the wood would be for packing around in the bush.

I think laminate is the happy medium between wood and synthetic - slightly lighter than wood, slightly heavier than synthetic, less recoil than synthetic, slightly more recoil than wood and of course looks pretty (because we all know guys buy things based on esthetics)!!!!! General consensus is that if you are going to be hard on it (pushing lots of bush, sheep/goat hunting in rocky areas), get synthetic - wood and laminate scratch, then don't look very nice. But if you are tree stand and open area hunting, you are less likely to scratch it up. It is really a personal preference based on what kind of hunting you want to do (in my opinion) So.... happy shopping!?!?

If only money grew on trees.... For now I had to pick one rifle to be "multi purpose". Best case scenario is to have different rifles for different hunts, hands down agree!
Oh LALA love the Pink scope! What cartridge is your Remington in?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie_bambi_killer View Post
I think laminate is the happy medium between wood and synthetic - slightly lighter than wood.
As a rule laminate is not lighter than wood. By any stretch of the imagination.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Bull. There is a TON of "exhibition" Walnut that has fallen victim to a hack with a checkering tool and a chisel. A TON.
Well i'll let you know in a couple months how the checkering on my cooper custom classic exibition walnut stock turns out
Old 06-22-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Well i'll let you know in a couple months how the checkering on my cooper custom classic exibition walnut stock turns out
I look absolutely forward to close ups of the checkering and in-letting. And yes, good luck. I wonder if I can scrounge up a better checkered synthetic? Quite likely.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I look absolutely forward to close ups of the checkering and in-letting. And yes, good luck. I wonder if I can scrounge up a better checkered synthetic? Quite likely.
Oh there will be alot of close up's of the Hand checkered Len Brownels western Flure checkering pattern
Old 06-22-2011, 06:25 PM

Wood because it looks the nicest.

All ese is incosequential.

I talked to Petra earlier and she suggested a different outcome.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
As a rule laminate is not lighter than wood. By any stretch of the imagination.
Almost every laminate stock that I have seen has been heavier than the same stock made out non laminated wood.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:16 PM

I think it depends on the caliber, really. With low calibers you can get away with a synthetic stock and not lose anything except weight because the recoil isn't especially an issue anyway.

As you pass beyond 30-30 and .270 into 30-06 and up I would go wood. Laminate is optional, but, you can't really beat the feeling of a good wood stock. However, if you go a really high end synthetic stock it's not an issue -- but for your firearm of choice I'd probably go wood period.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 06-22-2011, 11:24 PM

Sorry if I was misinformed. This was the info I got from the guys at the gun counters I visited, or maybe I misinterpreted them. I am still a bit of a newbie when it comes to rifles. All I know is that the laminate gun I bought was a lb lighter than the equivalent model in wood, maybe it's because the stock is smaller and/or streamlined..... Or something along those lines! Sorry for the misinformation!!!

I think she is a pretty though! And shoots like a beautie, I am very happy with my first purchase. Its a 270
Old 06-22-2011, 11:43 PM

It's because that barrel has a significantly smaller O.D.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 AM

I tend to hunt on the prairies when it comes to rifle hunting and go in the bush too.

I felt and held all stocks in the sako i want and the wood just has this vibe with me, whispering in my ear to buy it.

Its strange
Old 06-23-2011, 08:11 AM

Keep in mind that the original poster was asking which was the "IDEAL" stock to use, not which we like the most. I think it's almost universal that people would prefer a nicely figured wood stock on their rifle, but for sheer praticality and utility synthetic or laminate would win out.