Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2011, 02:00 PM

Default Planning trip to US

Hey guys planning a shopping trip to Idaho and Wash.next week .Am I better to buy US money here before we go or buy it down there or does it matter?Thanks for any comments.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:02 PM

Use a interact bank machine while you are there, and you will be charged the current exchange rate, just take the amount you require, whenever you need it!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:05 PM

Whenever I go I call every local bank and determine the rate. I have seen $25.00 difference in Lloydminster the same day on $2000. I always take a couple thousand with me, always in US funds. Every time you withdraw you will be hit with several charges, best to contact your bank.

Another way is to open a US currency account at your own bank with a debit card and draw out from there, still the ATM applicable fees but no exchange.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-21-2011, 02:14 PM

Thanks guys,Used to go there regularly 18 to 20yrs ago to buy powder primers bullets arrows broadheads you know hunting goodies,but in Spokane they just took our Canadian money at par.Now that our dollar is up a little bit,you just dont know what its worth from day to day.Thanks for the info.Wilf
Old 06-21-2011, 02:17 PM

Just check your credit card exchange rate. With cash you get hit whey you buy, and you get hit again when you sell back.

Don't forget to add the full cost of your trip and duty to those terrific US savings! LOL
Old 06-21-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Just check your credit card exchange rate. With cash you get hit whey you buy, and you get hit again when you sell back.

Don't forget to add the full cost of your trip and duty to those terrific US savings! LOL
Thanks Oko,I"m sure I"ll find some time in the 10 days for some activities other than shopping,probably still be at a sporting goods store though lol.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:37 PM

Do not forget... If you shop in washington and are from alberta make sure you tell them and have your DL ready. Albertans are tax exempt on purchases made in washington state. Only on goods though, not services
Old 06-21-2011, 04:38 PM

Ahhh, so its more than just a shopping trip. Have fun.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantleman View Post
Do not forget... If you shop in washington and are from alberta make sure you tell them and have your DL ready. Albertans are tax exempt on purchases made in washington state. Only on goods though, not services
same for montana......something to do with free trade agreements
Old 06-21-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmk800 View Post
something to do with free trade agreements
Wrong, it has to do with sales Tax. Montana, Oregon, Alaska and several other states don't have sales tax. As a result if you are from one of those states for the most part you don't have to pay tax if you inform the cashier before the transaction that yo.ur tax exempt. They will look at your DL and write down the info and then you sign a piece of paper saying your legit. Idaho is a bit sketchy and alot of places won't do it period. Washington will because of Oregon, Alaska and Montana.

I'm not sure about using your debit card at a US ATM though. I know that Debit cards in the US are not like Debit cards in Canada. I've tried to explain this to my wife numerous times and she doesn't seem to get it. In Canada the debit card takes money straight from you checking or savings account. In the US the debit card takes it from your checking only, BUT you have the option to run the debit card on VISA network. So for example if you don't have a credit card but want to make a purchase online that requires a VISA you can still complete the transaction because your Check card (what the US calls their version of the debit card) has VISA capabilities. When run as a VISA it also takes the money straight out of your checking account.

as mentioned earlier if your planning on doing alot of travelling its best for you to set up a US savings account with your bank in Canada. That way you can deposit the money without having to pay the bank fee and conversion fee to switch it over to Canadian funds. It just sits in the account as US currency. I know CIBC offered this service a few years ago although I'm not sure if they do now. With using a VISA you'll just end up paying the conversion rate at whatever it is the day the transaction posts.

Good luck and if you need any suggestions on what to do/see in the Spokane North Idaho area send me a PM. I just moved from there last December!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:33 PM

Interesting! I've taken $ out of my savings, no problem! Except getting dinged with 2 service fees!! The only time I couldn't is when I only had a plus card and not a cirrius (sp?) card but that was many years ago! I have used my ATM (savings) all over the world, including Turkey, Colombia, Ecuador and India!!

Oh and Washington's state sales tax goes directly to schools that is why we are tax exempt (or at least that is what I was told a few years ago)!

I lived in Idaho for a number of years and never exp. tax exemption there!!

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Wrong, it has to do with sales Tax. Montana, Oregon, Alaska and several other states don't have sales tax. As a result if you are from one of those states for the most part you don't have to pay tax if you inform the cashier before the transaction that yo.ur tax exempt. They will look at your DL and write down the info and then you sign a piece of paper saying your legit. Idaho is a bit sketchy and alot of places won't do it period. Washington will because of Oregon, Alaska and Montana.

I'm not sure about using your debit card at a US ATM though. I know that Debit cards in the US are not like Debit cards in Canada. I've tried to explain this to my wife numerous times and she doesn't seem to get it. In Canada the debit card takes money straight from you checking or savings account. In the US the debit card takes it from your checking only, BUT you have the option to run the debit card on VISA network. So for example if you don't have a credit card but want to make a purchase online that requires a VISA you can still complete the transaction because your Check card (what the US calls their version of the debit card) has VISA capabilities. When run as a VISA it also takes the money straight out of your checking account.

as mentioned earlier if your planning on doing alot of travelling its best for you to set up a US savings account with your bank in Canada. That way you can deposit the money without having to pay the bank fee and conversion fee to switch it over to Canadian funds. It just sits in the account as US currency. I know CIBC offered this service a few years ago although I'm not sure if they do now. With using a VISA you'll just end up paying the conversion rate at whatever it is the day the transaction posts.

Good luck and if you need any suggestions on what to do/see in the Spokane North Idaho area send me a PM. I just moved from there last December!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:39 PM

Smile Nevada!

Nevada has NO sales tax and that is great, Reno may be on your route. They have a Cabela's there. You can order the stuff you want on their 800 number and pick it up as you go through. They also have $50 discounts now and again.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Oh and Washington's state sales tax goes directly to schools that is why we are tax exempt (or at least that is what I was told a few years ago)!

P
HA yah I'll say it goes to the schools. Thats why they have cut funding, cut class sizes, increased tuition amongst other things. I just graduated from there and I tell you I'm glad I had Uncle Sam payin for my schooling cause at the rate they are going, it won't be long before no one can afford it.

Oh and FYI it was the legalization of gambling that was supposed to help with the schools. Sure didn't help cause if you do any research the Democratic govenor has put the state in a HUGE financial crisis...
Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 PM

Some credit cards will get cut off when you use them in the US. They are afraid that it is a stolen card and freeze them. You may have to contact them and confirm that it is you using it or you can contact them ahead of time and tell them you will be using it out of country.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
Thanks Oko,I"m sure I"ll find some time in the 10 days for some activities other than shopping,probably still be at a sporting goods store though lol.
Ya the deal are better on Spokane and they will exempt you from there Ste Tax if you are Canadian. Idaho will not.... Hey bud, don't forget to check out the Buck knife factory/world headquarters in Post Falls. It's right across (south) the Interstate (and Cabela's)...just before "exit 2". Have a great time! Take the tour....it's worth it. I make it a habit of stopping buy and pick up a couple of knives. A model 110 will sell at the factory for about 20$--as low as 5$ if it has a slight blemish. The same knife here sells for about 50-60$.

Have a good one,

Sam
Old 06-21-2011, 10:03 PM

check with whichever bank you deal with on 2 things first let them know you are traveling so they don't freeze your cards and see if they have any agreements with specific banks to waive the withdrawl fees. Cash withdrawl at a machine is usually your cheapest way but credit card is most convenient and you don't have to carry big wads of cash so it's a little safer.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:06 PM

I will be in Idaho and Montana myself over the next two weeks, and we will likely visit Cabelas in Post Falls, and Black Sheep in Coeur d'Alene. I usually take a few hundred dollars in American money, and then draw more as I need it from instant tellers along the way.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:11 PM

Public School in Washington, not Idaho!!

As an aside... Did you go to North Idaho College or U of I? I went to ISU and my twin bro went to U of I! I got my tuition paid for, for my Master's (was a TA) and a couple of AB Gov't burseries for my undergrads!!

P

Quote:
HA yah I'll say it goes to the schools. Thats why they have cut funding, cut class sizes, increased tuition amongst other things. I just graduated from there and I tell you I'm glad I had Uncle Sam payin for my schooling cause at the rate they are going, it won't be long before no one can afford it.

Oh and FYI it was the legalization of gambling that was supposed to help with the schools. Sure didn't help cause if you do any research the Democratic govenor has put the state in a HUGE financial crisis...
Old 06-21-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Public School in Washington, not Idaho!!

As an aside... Did you go to North Idaho College or U of I? I went to ISU and my twin bro went to U of I! I got my tuition paid for, for my Master's (was a TA) and a couple of AB Gov't burseries for my undergrads!!

P
Screw Idaho, I graduated from Washington bubba! In fact I went to 2 different universities in Washington and like I said, Class sizes were shrunk, funding was cut, tuition was increased, the frequency of classes and the classes themselves were reduced and on and on. Your "sales tax" doesn't do jack all for the schools. Thank Christine Gregoire for that. I'd suggest sticken to talking about Idaho if that is where you were and leave places you weren't out of your opinions.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:28 PM

If you have kids or there's still kid in you then consider a day or two at Silverwood Theme Park..fun, fun, fun...taking the kids there this summer and there's a WSS nearby in Couer D'Alene (sp?)....enjoy your trip!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:32 PM

Chill dude!! I'm still talking public school though, not Uni!!

P

Quote:
Screw Idaho, I graduated from Washington bubba! In fact I went to 2 different universities in Washington and like I said, Class sizes were shrunk, funding was cut, tuition was increased, the frequency of classes and the classes themselves were reduced and on and on. Your "sales tax" doesn't do jack all for the schools. Thank Christine Gregoire for that. I'd suggest sticken to talking about Idaho if that is where you were and leave places you weren't out of your opinions.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
If you have kids or there's still kid in you then consider a day or two at Silverwood Theme Park..fun, fun, fun...taking the kids there this summer and there's a WSS nearby in Couer D'Alene (sp?)....enjoy your trip!
You can buy Silverwood tickets at Costco....cheaper. BTW if you want some shade, be first in line and run! NOT KIDDING!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:11 PM

I always just used my credit card, you are givin the exchange on that day at that time. Only downside is the interest if you dont pay it off rightaway.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:20 PM

Thanks guys for all the replys,lots of good info.Its been awhile scince I"ve been stateside so am really looking forward to it.Thanks again .
Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 PM

Or you can just do all your shopping at Wally world, I know the ones in North Dakota you can just us your canadian debit card.