Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-01-2010, 06:22 AM

Default Youth huntingq

Ok so my son has his youth firearms permit and has taken a hunter ed course but wht I don't really know is can he hunt an aminial as I thought he had to be 18 to own a gun?

He is going hunting this weekend with my bestfriend but Does Brenden need his own tags or how does this all work sorry sounds stupid just dont wanna end up doing the wrong think
Old 11-01-2010, 08:27 AM

How old is your son?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:30 AM

Default ...

Depends on what he is pursueing but he is going to need his win card, wildlife certificate (game bird as in upland, is also a part of that wildlife certificate) and depeneding on what he is hunting he will either need general tags or his waterfowl stamp.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:32 AM

I've been checking into this lately too. My son is 12 and I've made a bunch of calls and it seems very clear that he can hunt with my rifle / shotgun. He does need his own tags etc. etc.

Also it is possible for him to get a PAL before 18. He has to apply and i guess they interview the family before deciding wether to issue the licence. Not sure at what age he can try this.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulie.stalker View Post
Depends on what he is pursueing but he is going to need his win card, wildlife certificate (game bird as in upland, is also a part of that wildlife certificate) and depeneding on what he is hunting he will either need general tags or his waterfowl stamp.
Just to be clear, he will need a Game Bird license as well as a Wildlife Certificate if he will be shooting grouse.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:56 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulie.stalker View Post
The Wildlife Certificate does NOT include game bird. You need to purchase a seperate gamebird licence if you intend to hunt grouse.

Your son can hunt with a firearm but he needs to be in direct supervision of an adult PAL holder. Yes, he does require his own licences. Additionally, there are some youth partner licences available.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 AM

my son has had his licence for the last two years and when he bought his wildlife certificate the upland game bird licence came with it as a youth
Old 11-01-2010, 09:05 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
my son has had his licence for the last two years and when he bought his wildlife certificate the upland game bird licence came with it as a youth
Dang you are right, I totally forgot about the game bird being included with the youth wildlife certificate. Sorry guys, my bad....carry on.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:06 AM

Huh, Sheep and I seem to be off the mark on this one.

Page 22, "a resident 12 to 17 years of age may purchase a Resident Youth Wildlife Certificate, including a Game Bird License, for $8.30."

Learn something new every day!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:07 AM

Yes a Game Bird licence is included with a Youth Wildlife Certifcate. Page 22 of the regs.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 11-01-2010, 09:28 AM

Dang you guys are fast. I am a one finger typer. hehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 11-01-2010, 09:33 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Dang you guys are fast. I am a one finger typer. hehe
Ah that explains it...I'm twice as fast, I use two fingers...
Old 11-01-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Ah that explains it...I'm twice as fast, I use two fingers...
LOL

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 11-01-2010, 02:10 PM

Default youth hutning

If he's hunting big game then in addition to having his own tags he must be accompanied by an individual 18 or over who has the parent's permission to supervise him while hunting (written permission if it's not the legal guardian). If he's hunting grouse then he's good to go with just his wildlife certificate (includes upland); doesn't need supervision. That covers the wildlife regulations.

It sounds like he has his firearms regulations covered. If he has a POL then he can carry a firearm without supervision. If he doesn't then he needs to be under the direct supervision of a person who is authorized to possess the firearm he is carrying. He can use a firearm before he's 18, he just can't own one.

D
Old 11-04-2010, 02:34 PM

Default From the RCMP Web Page

For Individuals aged 12 to 17
A Minors' Licence will enable young people to borrow a non-restricted rifle or shotgun for approved purposes such as hunting or target shooting. Generally, the minimum age is 12 years, but exceptions may be made for younger people who need to hunt to sustain themselves and their families. Applicants must have taken the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and passed the test. The fee to renew a minor’s licence is waived.
Once a person turns 18, they are no longer eligible for a minor’s licence. Instead, they must apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) and pay the applicable fee. Currently, the fee only applies to the first PAL. Fees to renew a licence or modify licence privileges are waived.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:30 PM

Am I reading this right?

You can borrow a gun and shoot it unsupervised if you are between the ages of 12 and 17 but the day you turn 18 you have to have a PAL or be supervised by someone who does? WTF!?
Old 11-04-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botwood View Post
I've been checking into this lately too. My son is 12 and I've made a bunch of calls and it seems very clear that he can hunt with my rifle / shotgun. He does need his own tags etc. etc.

Also it is possible for him to get a PAL before 18. He has to apply and i guess they interview the family before deciding wether to issue the licence. Not sure at what age he can try this.
Oops. I missed that a guy can get a PAL BEFORE turning 18...
Old 11-04-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post

Your son can hunt with a firearm but he needs to be in direct supervision of an adult PAL holder. Yes, he does require his own licences. Additionally, there are some youth partner licences available.
Are you sure about that Sheep? The direct supervision rule is for those who have no licence at all. There would therefore be no advantage for anyone to obtain a Minor's licence. My son had one but always hunted with me so it was never an issue, but I was never 100% clear if he could just take a gun and go off on his own hunting. The rcmp website doesn't say clearly, but lists no restrictions for those with a licence as far as supervision goes. It says they can buy ammo and shoot.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Are you sure about that Sheep? The direct supervision rule is for those who have no licence at all. There would therefore be no advantage for anyone to obtain a Minor's licence. My son had one but always hunted with me so it was never an issue, but I was never 100% clear if he could just take a gun and go off on his own hunting. The rcmp website doesn't say clearly, but lists no restrictions for those with a licence as far as supervision goes. It says they can buy ammo and shoot.
They give you special restrictions and stuff. Tell what you can do and can't do with the license. I have the youth PAL or whatever you wanna call and go hunting by myself with my rifle. Don't really see the point of getting a youth license other then buying bullets if you can't hunt alone with it, like you said.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 11-04-2010, 06:29 PM

with out a youth license, the youth must be in arms reach of the one with over 18. with the youth license it is within voice reach
Old 06-14-2011, 01:57 PM

Write to your Conservative MP and remind them the initial promise was to REPEAL the entire C-68; not just the long gun registry.

Don't stop writing until they smarten up.

This whole blob of laws is just stupid - PAL if the youth is within voice, POL if the youth is with arm's reach, POC, PAC, PIC, blah, blah, blah......Swing your partner 'round and do the Gun Two Step....

It started out as a Gong Show. It's still a Gong Show. It's always going to be a Gong Show.

I got my first gun (.22 single shot) and started shooting when I was 8. Went on my own when I was 10. Everybody was perfectly safe, including me. It's the same now with my kids, except I started them a couple years older than that. I don't need this useless crap in my life. It serves no good purpose (placating Gun Zombies is not a good purpose).