Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-07-2011, 01:59 PM

Another page from the bison belong website, this one lists the supporters. Funny, I see Y2Y is mentioned. Again as I said before-bad idea

http://www.bisonbelong.ca/en/supporters.php
Old 06-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
So do you support the bison introduction in principal...without the fences? I'm sure neither of us is too concerned about golfers
No, I'm not overly concerned about the welfare of our golfers (unless it is me out there golfing which seems to happen once every 3 years anymore). But an increase in land available for bison to roam free, supported by Y2Y concerns me. So no, I don't support the introduction of bison if that is the agenda!!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:03 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
No, I'm not overly concerned about the welfare of our golfers (unless it is me out there golfing which seems to happen once every 3 years anymore). But an increase in land available for bison to roam free, supported by Y2Y concerns me. So no, I don't support the introduction of bison if that is the agenda!!
Kind of the same agenda that Y2Y is pushing with the wild horses. You have a right to be concerned.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:08 PM

one more page from the website. Two public meetings being held the middle of this month.
http://www.bisonbelong.ca/en/stewards.php
None of this concerns you SH. Seems to be getting pushed through awful fast. Any other time Y2Y is mentioned on this forum, hackles get raised pretty quick, but doensn't seem to be of much interest now?
Old 06-07-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Kind of the same agenda that Y2Y is pushing with the wild horses. You have a right to be concerned.
I've actually never heard of anything concerning a tie between horses and
Y2Y. Can you point me in the right direction in locating info?
Old 06-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Huh? How do you think all of our indigenous wildlife got here?
the spanish brought them in the 1500's......what are you sleeping through this discussion?........
Old 06-07-2011, 02:54 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I've actually never heard of anything concerning a tie between horses and
Y2Y. Can you point me in the right direction in locating info?
Ah, the merrygoround again...lol You really do miss a lot of good posts on this forum.

Anyhow, far be it for me to be accused of wearing a tinfoil cowboy hat but let's just speculate out loud as to a possible scenario. Y2Y, yes the same organization that suports the bison reintroduction supports feral horses being classified as wildlife, basically the same status as say, I don't know, the grizzly bear.

Once they receive this designation, it become the responsibility of the province to manage them. Of course this means population counts etc. Now let's say that after the population surveys are done that it is deemed that the wild horse population province wide is not high enough, say again like, I don't know, the grizzly bear.

Well with populations being too low, horses like, I don't know, maybe the grizzly bear could be classified as threatened or perhaps even endangered...enter the Feds. Now we have an endangered species in the west country and there's all this nasty human activity like oil/gas, logging, hunting, trapping, off-road vehicles, etc. Well that won't do because they are putting undo pressure on an endangered species. Well Y2Y to the rescue with pressure to form a park, for no other reason than to save this endangered wildlife species they care so dearly about.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:56 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
one more page from the website. Two public meetings being held the middle of this month.
http://www.bisonbelong.ca/en/stewards.php
None of this concerns you SH. Seems to be getting pushed through awful fast. Any other time Y2Y is mentioned on this forum, hackles get raised pretty quick, but doensn't seem to be of much interest now?
You really don't read many of the posts in the threads you post in do you....lol

This bison reintroduction has been discussed many times on AO. I'm getting dizzy.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I'm getting dizzy.
Time for a Jäger!
Old 06-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Ah, the merrygoround again...lol You really do miss a lot of good posts on this forum.

Anyhow, far be it for me to be accused of wearing a tinfoil cowboy hat but let's just speculate out loud as to a possible scenario. Y2Y, yes the same organization that suports the bison reintroduction supports feral horses being classified as wildlife, basically the same status as say, I don't know, the grizzly bear.

Once they receive this designation, it become the responsibility of the province to manage them. Of course this means population counts etc. Now let's say that after the population surveys are done that it is deemed that the wild horse population province wide is not high enough, say again like, I don't know, the grizzly bear.

Well with populations being too low, horses like, I don't know, maybe the grizzly bear could be classified as threatened or perhaps even endangered...enter the Feds. Now we have an endangered species in the west country and there's all this nasty human activity like oil/gas, logging, hunting, trapping, off-road vehicles, etc. Well that won't do because they are putting undo pressure on an endangered species. Well Y2Y to the rescue with pressure to form a park, for no other reason than to save this endangered wildlife species they care so dearly about.
I was actually asking a legitimate question, I actually have not heard of it except for a couple mentions of it on here. I am interested in doing a little read-up on it. Pass just looking for a bit of direction in finding that, not a belittleing answer like that. I am actually pretty open minded and was just looking for a bit of info on a subject I'm not familiar with.
Thanks anyway
Old 06-07-2011, 03:11 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I was actually asking a legitimate question, I actually have not heard of it except for a couple mentions of it on here. I am interested in doing a little read-up on it. Pass just looking for a bit of direction in finding that, not a belittleing answer like that. I am actually pretty open minded and was just looking for a bit of info on a subject I'm not familiar with.
Thanks anyway
Google is your friend
Old 06-07-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
You really don't read many of the posts in the threads you post in do you....lol

This bison reintroduction has been discussed many times on AO. I'm getting dizzy.
Yep, must have missed those discussions too. Forgive me for not being current on all subjects discussed here
Thanks again
Old 06-07-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Google is your friend
Had already tried that before asking for a bit of direction. Obviously no luck. Ah well, maybe some day we can sit down and debate in person rather than back and forth on an open forum

Last edited by MountainTi; 06-07-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:58 PM

I can see one reason for not re-introducing Bison, they are notorious for carrying anthrax. If you thought BSE was bad imagine Alberta beef getting anthrax?

They also have almost no tolerance to brusillosis. Brusillosis is actually what wiped them out, not hide hunters like the greenie weenies like to claim.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:39 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Had already tried that before asking for a bit of direction. Obviously no luck. Ah well, maybe some day we can sit down and debate in person rather than back and forth on an open forum
I'd welcome the opportunity.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskys View Post
I can see one reason for not re-introducing Bison, they are notorious for carrying anthrax. If you thought BSE was bad imagine Alberta beef getting anthrax?

They also have almost no tolerance to brusillosis. Brusillosis is actually what wiped them out, not hide hunters like the greenie weenies like to claim.
Wow! We can only hope you're not a policy maker in this country with such an uninformed opinion.

ps. it's burcellosis!

As I see it there are three ways to go with the horse issue, leave them be, manage them at some level or get rid of them. All three need the necessary background data to determine the extent of the problem and the role they play on the land scape. Given the recent history they have had in Suffield I tend to agree that they should be removed. My romantic side wishes they could exist at some level and perhaps they will prove impossible to eradicate but the true failure here is SRD not (again) doing what they are charged to do. This government has got to get back to basics on a lot of levels.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:49 PM

Just wondering if the same guys that do the grizzly count do the count on wild horses ... I'm not one for wiping out either critter but both need to be controlled . I'd bet that grizz out number the horses .
Old 06-07-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
As I see it there are three ways to go with the horse issue, leave them be, manage them at some level or get rid of them..... perhaps they will prove impossible to eradicate..
I certainly hope so.

If I have anything to say about it - and I will have plenty to say - wild horses will most definitely prove impossible to "eradicate". They are part of Alberta.

Besides, I like looking at them.

"Eradicating" wild horses is something I'd expect from a self-centered farmer who runs a whole bunch of cattle on Crown land in the foothills, pays next to nothing for the lease, and has come to believe that he is entitled to use that Crown land to enrich himself and the feed that grows on that Crown land is all his. So's the road. And.... he should have my taxes pay for his downers along the way.

You're not one of those, are you?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskys View Post
Why don't you **** off!
…would be happy to once you go educate yourself on the history and epidemiology of anthrax and brucellosis, not to mention how the buffalo disappeared.

Hell you didn’t even catch my spelling mistake which would have actually have been a good come back to make me look foolish.

Maybe next time.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
I certainly hope so.

If I have anything to say about it - and I will have plenty to say - wild horses will most definitely prove impossible to "eradicate". They are part of Alberta.

Besides, I like looking at them.

"Eradicating" wild horses is something I'd expect from a self-centered farmer who runs a whole bunch of cattle on Crown land in the foothills, pays next to nothing for the lease, and has come to believe that he is entitled to use that Crown land to enrich himself and the feed that grows on that Crown land is all his. So's the road. And.... he should have my taxes pay for his downers along the way.

You're not one of those, are you?
My choice of words probably could have been better and honestly I would like to see them out there as well, but not at the expense of the native species. My main point is that SRD has to get on with dealing with this issue (and many others) but we can probably look forward to more cutbacks and privatization.

Your opinion is valid and has to be considered but again after seeing how things went in the base the overall health of the system would be better off without them (my opinion). Is there room to have some out there??? some one else will have to determine that.

And yes I am a cattle rancher that owns every bit of land I run my cattle on, I don't think that cattle should be dismissed from this conversation either as the same arguements apply when non native species are in direct competition with native species. There will always be an impact, we just have to determine if we can live with that impact.

Last edited by SLH; 06-07-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH View Post
And yes I am a cattle rancher that owns every bit of land I run my cattle on,
Glad to hear it, bud.

Quote:
I don't think that cattle should be dismissed from this conversation either as the same arguements apply when non native species are in direct competition with native species. There will always be an impact, we just have to determine if we can live with that impact.
I understand something about impacts, although I'm not a scientist. I also understand that some are allowed a lot more impact than others, and that's not right.

Put it this way - there's a whole lot more cowshyte in the foothills than horseshyte.

Furthermore, my taxes don't pay for dead wild horses. My taxes do pay for dead sh_tters who are brought to the foothills every year by a few ranchers are are killed by a predator....even some of their missing ones. WTF!

I have nothing against farmers and ranchers. Some of my family have been in the field, so to speak. I do have something against free loaders, and this entire business of crown grazing leases is about free loaders. Wearing a cowboy hat doesn't change that.

Rgds,