Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-01-2011, 04:30 PM

Default Is this legal ?

Now I am not trying to get anything going or out trolling ! I am just wondering if carrying the copies of my hunting and fishing liscenses on my I phone and having the proper tags in my pocket is legal! The same thing you use on paper is pretty much the same thing you can have on you I phone! allI can find on the regs is u must produce your liscence! But other than your wildlife certificate and fishing liscence you sign nothing else! the tags for say general whitetail and say moose are just paper with numbers!
Old 05-01-2011, 04:43 PM

If the fish cop asks to see your licence, you must produce the hardcopy white paper they give you with your tag purchase. They're not interested in your iphone.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:47 PM

You have to produce your license, not a facsimilie of it
Old 05-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Banned

it sucks, but you need the paper copy. in my opinion that could be changed. not for tags of course....but for licenses, you betcha.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:56 PM

Never thought of this, but I see a problem with the unreliability of technology. As Murphy's Law would have it, you would pull out your phone and just as you hand it to F&W it would die... I think there'd be too many errors. I never checked my last hunting license, but i noticed it on my fishing license that you can not laminate it? Anyone know why this it? I'd hate to drop it in the water (although I could just carry it in a ziplock bag).

How do you carry your licenses a-field?
Old 05-01-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
I never checked my last hunting license, but i noticed it on my fishing license that you can not laminate it? Anyone know why this it? I'd hate to drop it in the water (although I could just carry it in a ziplock bag).

You can print as many copies as you want off the RELM website.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
Never thought of this, but I see a problem with the unreliability of technology. As Murphy's Law would have it, you would pull out your phone and just as you hand it to F&W it would die... I think there'd be too many errors. I never checked my last hunting license, but i noticed it on my fishing license that you can not laminate it? Anyone know why this it? I'd hate to drop it in the water (although I could just carry it in a ziplock bag).

ehntr is right...if you print it off your own computer you can make multiples.....and you could laminate it. if you get it from the machines at retailers they are on thermal paper and the heat from lamination would blacken it making it useless.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:02 PM

I fail to see the issue.

Everything I get goes into a Ziploc bag and gets stuffed into my pack that I never go hunting without.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:24 PM

I shrink my licenses down(wildlife cert.,bow hunt permit' fishing licence)and print them off, then laminate them to wallet size. I'm not sure if you can do that but it's pretty handy. I really can't see there being problem with it, but I may be wrong as I have never asked an officer.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:45 PM

Went antelope hunting last fall. One of the 'young' guys brought his GPS, laptop and iphone. First day out he lost his iphone! Put a paper copy in a ziplok bag!
(The lucky bugger found the phone the next day).
Fdieter.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
Now I am not trying to get anything going or out trolling ! I am just wondering if carrying the copies of my hunting and fishing liscenses on my I phone and having the proper tags in my pocket is legal! The same thing you use on paper is pretty much the same thing you can have on you I phone! allI can find on the regs is u must produce your liscence! But other than your wildlife certificate and fishing liscence you sign nothing else! the tags for say general whitetail and say moose are just paper with numbers!
YOU GOT TO BE KIDDIN , RIGHT
Old 05-02-2011, 01:00 AM

As you hand him your phone, he would probably think you want him to phone somebody.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 05-04-2011, 07:58 PM

what is the point of your win # if f&w can't check who you are and what you have? understand it identify's you for draws and such, but come on f&w need to get with the times, paper copies of anything are a joke period!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
what is the point of your win # if f&w can't check who you are and what you have? understand it identify's you for draws and such, but come on f&w need to get with the times, paper copies of anything are a joke period!
Try telling that to an RCMP officer when he asks for your operators license. What do you suppose his response will be?
Old 05-04-2011, 10:04 PM

one day maybe they will get ride of all the paper, but until then keep a set of papers on you and spare in the truck just in case

i was surprised at how much paper work i have to carry in AB.
coming from ON, only thing you need is PAL (if using a gun), Outdoors card (similar to WIN card) and tags; should have gun reg, but never have seen RCMP out checking, only OPP checking for drunk drivers
In ON, you get a sticker on your outdoors card which replaces the paper. and any non-tag licenses like fishing, you can get embedded in the card when you renew which is good for the life of the card (3 years), its not cheaper, just convenient to not have to renew each year.

one day F&W around Canada will learn what each prov does and take the best of each to make it better like no paper and online tag applications (something i like in AB)
Old 05-05-2011, 04:19 AM
Banned

I bought my bird license on RELM, but my printer was on the fritz, and so I had a copy of it on my BlackBerry. I hunt with a few guys who are good friends with the local F&W, and asked the question, which he seemed not to have a problem. He said so long as he can see that I have a license, he is happy.

With that being said, I emailed buddy my license, and he printed it and met us out at the campsite the next morning, so I actually did not hunt without a paper copy.

Not sure if other F&W or protectors of the wilderness would agree with an electronic copy or not. I think it would depend on his/her mood, and how you behaved.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:07 AM

The problem with only producing an online copy plus the fact that you can write out your own orange tag would mean that as long as you have your iPhone and a pen you could purchase your tag right after you shoot the animal.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRCRYGTR View Post
The problem with only producing an online copy plus the fact that you can write out your own orange tag would mean that as long as you have your iPhone and a pen you could purchase your tag right after you shoot the animal.
Good point.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:09 PM

Please correct me if im wrong but doesnt the regs just say u hve to produce a copy ( doesnt specify wether it is electronic or not) when requested apon. as long as u can prove that u have what u say u have. paper copy, electronic copy, lamminated, cardbored or even gold plates for all they care as long as it is goverment issued?? and u can show it to them when they request it. it doesnt matter what an officer of the law tells u it is what is printed in the little law book its not really up for inturpritation. because when it comes down to it its all he said she said... the law book is always right no matter what your buddy mr. fish cop says because 99% of them will flop on u like a fish if they get the chance.