Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Did you know (or care ) that almost ALL prostitutes were abused when young.
Paying a prostitute is sorta like paying a rape victim to let her rapist abuse her once again.

Wonder how I know that? Several ways, I know some girls that became prostitutes, my friend married an X prostitute, I dated a prostitute. And I read a lot. Yeah I know it's not scientific. Then again, I don't need a scientific study to know that most Moose eat twigs in the winter, or that Beaver chew on trees. Sometimes a preponderance of evidence is enough.
Somebody definately hit a nerve here. BTW, are you suggesting prostitutes should not get paid for their services? Or that a prostitute shouldn't be a prostitute? Or what? For whatever reason, you're sure in with the prostitutes. No one wants to see any young girls abused... in any way.

Still, let's stick to the issue of speeding.

Bobby B.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
I have had my license for about 20 years. I can tell you that todays vehicles are superior in every way (braking, handleing, safety etc.) to the ones I drove when I first got my license. Yet speed limits are exactly the same. Whats up with that?
You bet vehicles and roads have improved to handle greater speeds. The one weak link that has not improved upon is the human body. Unfortunately regardless of the vehicle the human body can only withstand a certain ammount of force. Exceed that threshold and the results are not pretty!!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 04-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Look fellas, I'm not upset at anyone here. No doubt the subject would be best dealt with in it's own forum, still, the subject was brought up here and ignoring the problem does nothing to correct the situation.

Some people get upset when they run out of beer, I get upset when people make light of those who have been abused.
Yeah I know most people see prostitutes as anything but victims, even most prostitutes think that way. They don't make the connection between their early life and what they have become. It's no wonder that their Johns don't make that connection either.
But for those who have worked with troubled youth, the connection is all too clear.

Don't misunderstand. I do understand the thinking here. However, like with the speeding issue, I WILL point out the truth of the situation, if I can.

This really is the same sort of issue as speeding, most seem to think it is okay, but really it is not.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Banned

Your right this is not the thread to bring it up on. But if you want to start a new thread i'm willing to post.Have dealt with a lot of girls myself .I do property management through out the city. You may not like every thing I have to say
but that's ok with me.Not all dealings were bad. Sorry about the hi jack..
Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
I doubt there is a general problem......and the original proposal was to decrease the speed limit in select neighborhoods where there was concern raised........but the idiot mandel wants it city wide.

So follow my logic....if there is a problem with speeding in some neighborhoods, ticket them and the problem/makers will be addressed.

If the neighborhood is too crowded for a 50k speed limit, then its probably not a great spot for someone to speed in the first place and highly likely that the delinquents that are doing this to cause the neighborhood concern are also doing a lot of other things like stunting, loud bumble-bee mufflers, cranked stereos....and probably on the wrong side of the law when it comes to pot or booze in the vehicle. So it simple...target the problems...get their adze off the side of the road, put away their photoradar equip and get out there and patrol these areas of complaint and deal with the trouble makers.

Now if these idiots are unconcerned of their current dangerous actions, will a new speed limit actually fix anything or stop them from what they are currently doing???.....highly unlikely.

Or is it some ninnys in some neighborhoods that would like you to push your vehicle out of the neighborhood and only then will they finally feel safe.

I drive in the city plenty, but have yet to see a problem in the neighborhoods....other than the reckless same class of individuals....but they are also the ones driving like fools everywhere else as well.

So you have some problem individuals...but we all get to have the laws (that they will ignore anyway) applied to fix a problem that is not the true problem...them being idiots.

But it sure does make it much easier to bring in the buck from those that drive for the road and traffic and area conditions....and catch us in, now many many more, spots that have no problems and have a speed limit that is absurdly low for the conditions.

It all about safety....just like gun control and its flawed ideals of regulating the non-problems and ignoring the real problems.........and not about money.......yeah right..... if you really beleive that, I want to meet someone who has their rose colored glases glued on.
I actually live in an area where they lowered the limit to 40. At first I was actually against it, but after having experienced it for a while I actually think it's better. and it does get people down to under 50. But mind you, I will admit ours is a bit of a special case. There is a high school a few blocks away...... ugh
Old 04-14-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
I have had my license for about 20 years. I can tell you that todays vehicles are superior in every way (braking, handleing, safety etc.) to the ones I drove when I first got my license. Yet speed limits are exactly the same. Whats up with that?

That's true, but the drivers are worse these days.
Do the posted speed limit and quit griping.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:37 AM

One thing I find amusing is when someone is bitching and complaining about fuel prices and then they go ripping by you doing 130 or 140 on the hiway. News flash******* Mileage gets worse with speed. I notice a huge drop going 120 vs 110. I generally get about 100km extra in a 98L tank when I drive 105 vs 120. It makes a huge difference, and I get there maybe 20minutes later on a long trip.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:38 AM

I have been driving professionaly for 15yrs now and the drivers are getting worse every year, I think the electronic devices available to us now a days is one of the biggest contributing factors to this. Every where you look someone is on their cell phone talking or texting, or playing with their Ipod instead of paying attention to whats going on around them. I think we're all guilty of this at one time or another. But the younger generation is the worst I had to get on to my daughter about this just the other day.

As for lowering the speed limits in residential areas it won't help, where I live there it is mainly 30km because of the school and playground but guys come though here doing 80 or more. I've even talked to the cops about it, but all I got in responce was we do what we can, yet they only sit out there in the late evening.

In my opinion it is only going to get worse as technology advances, but you know what they say about opinions lol.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 04-15-2011, 10:38 AM

It might be easier for the authortiies to sign on with the auto makers as all new vehicles have GPS tracking of some kind...this way they could do away with the speed cameras and set it up so that anytime you go over the speed limit a ticket (invoice) would be sent out to the violater, imagine all the cash they could get....and no worries if you don't speed it won't effect you,... Maybe down the road the auto makers could start installing cameras in the vehicles that way if drivers are doing silly things while driving they could issue some more tickets...just think of all the cash they could get and how safe we would be...
Old 04-15-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
One thing I find amusing is when someone is bitching and complaining about fuel prices and then they go ripping by you doing 130 or 140 on the hiway. News flash******* Mileage gets worse with speed. I notice a huge drop going 120 vs 110. I generally get about 100km extra in a 98L tank when I drive 105 vs 120. It makes a huge difference, and I get there maybe 20minutes later on a long trip.
Don't think for a minute speed limits are all about safety. The US congress lowered the USA national speed limit to 55 mph in reaction to the 1973 oil crisis.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:58 PM

Use GPS tracking in your car to tell if your speeding, running a red light etc, next you will have us all with a micro chip that is linked to your rifle that will give location, type of weapon in your hand, animal aimed at, time and distance. Then they could arrest all the poachers out there.

Sorry the only time I want my built in tracking system activated in my vehicles is when some low life decides he wants it more then me.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:13 PM

Don't drive through Fort Saskatchewan, the moron councillors built a better/safer through road and lowered the speed rather than raise it. Then they put up 4 sets of speed cameras on the traffic lights to steal more money from people. Now they wonder why everybody wants a bypass road around the city.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:03 PM

To stir the pot a little...

Why not raise the speed limit?

Can someone explain the speed limits on the I-15 from Sweetgrass all the way south to LA, The speed limits there vary from 55 to 80mph. The I-15 through Montana has much the same weather, terrain etc and it's 80mph for miles. Are their more accidents in these areas because the limit is faster? More deaths because of the higher limit?

Driving through these areas a couple weeks ago, it wasn't safe to drive 60 in an 80mph zone because the slow drivers became the hazzard, causing serious issues. If you haven't, drive the I-15 through Vegas at 5pm on a friday, that's an experience...5-8 lanes at 80mph and it's like a moving parking lot. Or, the construction areas in Salt Lake area, where there's no shoulders and your driver's mirror is mere inches from the barriers. No room for mistakes.

Personally, it isn't the speed but the skill of all drivers that becomes the issue. I see more bad mistakes on simple things (merge, lane change etc) made by drivers in Calgary on Deerfoot at 80km/h or on the QEII going north than I have at 130km/h in these places south of here.

I think generally, drivers here are poorly trained, inexperienced, selfish and just lack respect, care and attention.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:51 PM

I drove the interstate from Maine to Montana one summer. Every state line we crossed going west the speed limit increased by 5 mph. The highway size/construction was generally constant. Why was that? Personally I believe # of drivers is a factor.

I would be afraid to drive many places in Alberta if they bumped the limits by 10-15 km/hr. Too much of this "I think generally, drivers here are poorly trained, inexperienced, selfish and just lack respect, care and attention."
Old 04-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmike68 View Post
Don't drive through Fort Saskatchewan, the moron councillors built a better/safer through road and lowered the speed rather than raise it. Then they put up 4 sets of speed cameras on the traffic lights to steal more money from people. Now they wonder why everybody wants a bypass road around the city.
I used to get alot of photo radars in the fort back in my quadding days,sometimes both ways until I realized they were on the lights not in a van,they also have a pickup in the fort that they park sideways off the road and put the camera out the back window.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:24 PM

I know the best way to avoid radar traps and camera's____________________DO THE FRICKEN SPEED LIMIT POSTED.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by decker View Post
I know the best way to avoid radar traps and camera's____________________DO THE FRICKEN SPEED LIMIT POSTED.
X2
Old 04-15-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decker View Post
I don't understand. Explain it to me again.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:16 PM

Lets have a free for all, drive what ever speed you want, but if you cause an accident then you loose everything you own do to compensating those you hurt alon gwith property damage.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy37 View Post
Personally, it isn't the speed but the skill of all drivers that becomes the issue. I see more bad mistakes on simple things (merge, lane change etc) made by drivers in Calgary on Deerfoot at 80km/h or on the QEII going north than I have at 130km/h in these places south of here.

I think generally, drivers here are poorly trained, inexperienced, selfish and just lack respect, care and attention.
I agree.

I love driving in Europe. Netherland most highways are 130km and no morons hog the fast lane and merging is NOT a game of chicken/attempt to squeeze someone out rather than act with courteousy.

Belgium and Germany were great and I drove 185km+ (would have gone faster but the worried about the tire rating) most of the time on the highways without problem or issues or fools thinking they were in charge of the road or blocking you. Again the drivers there made the difference.....here it would be impossible to drive that fast with such incompetent or careless drivers that we have.

Also something to think about...when the speeds are higher, drivers tend to realize they better pay attention at all times (as short as they become between destinations) and driving is exilirating versus watching boring mile after mile crawl by at a snails pace. These countries also make it much more training intensive and stringent testing and expensive to get your licence...that generally keeps most morons on the bus or train.

France is another issue....they love their toll roads and roundabouts....there are plenty of rude and ignorant drivers there and those that just came off the boat...but its a french attitude thing as well. (How do you change lanes in France???? Easy. Just get half a car length ahead of the car in the other lane, signal, hear two click of the light and then crank hard...its the other guys responsibility to get out of the way......sort of like in Edmonton) The key to driving there is to become an even bigger aggressive adze hole and then you get respect on the road and they get out of your way. And the roundabouts....think of it as rally car driving.....clutch-shift-gas, round at the limit of G force hold for the tires, cluth-shift-lots of gas and repeat each mile or so. And they don't ticket out of country plates and with all the camera and no traffic cops (remember someone has to man the toll booths), go as fast as the road and traffic allow.