Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-02-2011, 11:20 PM

Default 3-d target experiences

I have seen a few 3-d deer practice targets advertised. Delta, cabelas, Mckenzie and so on. What are your experiences and reviews on them. In particular the lower priced ( under $200 ) ones in terms of durabilty and quality.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:02 AM

Rinehart 3D Bowhunter Buck Target. You can find this target for about 215 US, and I guarantee you, you will not find a better deer target in that price range. I've had the Rinehart Broadhead buck for 4 years. I leave it outside the entire time and it is still a great target. In my experience, Glendel is the worst, and the Deltas aren't much better.

http://www.ferniergc.com/
Old 04-03-2011, 12:07 AM

Default Delta

IMO i like the delta but i agree if you can spend the money rhineharts are worth it, i find i practice better on a block or burlap target but for there use it builds up confidence when the shot matters,
i bought my delta through wholesale for around 130 so not to bad priced either
Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 AM

I have the mackenzie 3d black bear with the replacable vital.I think by the time I paid the shipping on it,it was close to 350-400$.Its poorly made,I dont shoot it alot and my arrows are going right through the vital area.

my little kids really enjoy shooting at it.

timba
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kids and bear target.jpg (28.7 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by timba; 04-03-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:35 PM

I have a Glendel Buck, not the full rut, just the buck (newer one).

I have nothing but great things to say about it, the multi sided insert that allows for quartering and tree stand shots is great. sets up and takes down easily... doesn't fall over when I hit it.

Rhine Hart's targets are awesome, your talking to a guy with an 18-1, and I was really torn between their broadhead buck and the Glendel... but I went with the Glendel almost exclusively for the ability to shoot quartering and tree stand shots, not to mention it was $40 cheaper at the time to the Rhine Hart Bowhunter broadhead buck (exposed vitals).

If you have ever practiced quartering and treestand shots on the delta series or what ever wal-mart/Canadian tire special, you may know that pulling those arrows out is a chore, shooting cross directional/down into the layers.

Honestly the Rhine-Hart and Glendel Buck (newer one) are my suggestions, but depending on budget and where you are it can be expensive.

Try to avoid buying them one line, the shipping will kill you, these boxes are not small and depending on the target, they are not light.

Look for something with a replaceable vital area, not a replaceable vital section, its the difference of removing a small square or removing a the front legs and half the torso (guys that have shot them in 3d know what I am talking about).

Depending on where you are and where your shooting, maybe see if you can get a brother or friend to buy one too. I have done this with my friends, that way instead of 3 guys pounding one target, there are three different targets and you can set them up however you want... kinda like a club.

Finally check to see if your by any clubs, if you are give them a call and see if you can tour the club. Many will have 3d courses, field archery, club houses, etc...
Its a great way to meet other archers/hunters, learn about archery, and be part of something that is pretty awesome. For the cost of a one year membership, it may be around the same cost or less than that single target, and you will have access to upwards of 15 (depending on the club, indoor/outdoor, etc...).