Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2007, 07:23 AM

Post recipes for wild game

I'm sure i will cook my elk steak the same way i cook deer steaks but i was hoping to get some diffrent ways that everybody here cooks there wild meat (all animals). I wouldn't mind Experimenting with diffrent recipies.

For me i like to do the deer/moose steaks fairly thin, then get a cast iron frying pan hot with the roasted garlic oil from superstore then fry the steak until the red is just about to leave.

As for Grouse i love them in a stir fry sssoooo good.

Last edited by chuck0039; 12-20-2007 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:37 AM

Take a look at this site.

http://www.justgamerecipes.com/inxven.html
Old 12-20-2007, 09:36 AM

Meat,add fire,eat,burp, drive safe...NICE
Old 12-20-2007, 10:10 AM

i love to cook , ecpecially the wild game it get each year. I experiment alot and have had nothing but good results. I do all my own butchering and cut small thin steaks, big thick ones( for the bbq), roasts, burger, and stew meat. (all de-boned)

1) the little steaks i usually just mix flour, minced garlic, steak spice, seasoning salt, and pepper. Mix it all to getter and coat the steaks in it. Heat up a cast iron pan. Add bacon grease( oil works but bacon grease is better) and cook on each side until golden brown. Awesome the outside is crunchy and the inside is nice and moist.

2) I also take a roast and marinade it for a day. (basic marinade oil, sugar, garlic, onion, bbq sauce, soy and worchestershire) Then i'll either put it on the rotisarrie on the bbq and keep pouring the beer and BBQ sauce to it for aprox 3.5 hours on low. Or if i dont use the rotisarrie i just put it on the bbq burner on low- med and keep on turning it, again pouring the beer and sauce to it. It ends up unreal and all the sauce you use end up like a galze and coats kinda hard to the outside.

I got tons more if you wanna know any jut pm me
hope u like em' Brett
Old 12-20-2007, 10:51 AM

Geezer that site has alot of recipes its going to take awhile to try them all lol

Brett01 i will have to try the the first one this weekend, my mouth started to water just reading it. MMMMMmmmmmm
Old 12-20-2007, 10:58 AM

haha yah its good, let me know how u like it
Old 12-20-2007, 11:27 AM

I like turning my ptarmigan and sprucies into meat balls. Breast em and cut them into 2 or 3 pieces....brown them and then chuck em into your meat sauce. Makes for a nice meal

Ruffies get treated a little better.....smoked whole.....mmmmmmmmm!!!

tm
Old 12-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Tundra Monkey, How do you keep grouse from drying out too much when you smoke them? Or better yet just tell us how you smoke them.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:53 PM

First ya throw the dried and hung GROUSE in the "coffee grinder".....then fold the paper in half and place some the ground grouse on the paper....remove all bones....spin....lick....light totally legal

They do turn out a little on the dry side but not too bad. I think that the secret is not to smoke them too long.....less than three hours. most of my buddies like them when they are basted with a marinade but I like em just plain old boring hickory smoked. I can get some of the marinades that they use if you like......but most of my friends ain't too bright so it'll probably be ketchup We usually have a whack of em to do when we do it because it is a 6 hour drive (Ft. Liard) to go get ruffies from here. I keep them in the freezer. One of my favorite lunches.....plus no dishes....and it appeals to the animal in me. Nothing like a meal that leaves a carcass layin in front of ya

On occasion I've been known to put marmalade on them....must be the Scott in me.

tm
Old 12-20-2007, 04:02 PM

Ohhhh yeah....when they come out of the freezer just leave em in the plastic bag to thaw and they tend to stay moist......now I'm hungry

stuck for 3 1/2 more hours.......double time today though

tm