Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-14-2007, 08:24 PM

Default beretta pistols?

Are they anygood will be my 1st one. Lookin at 9mm as the ammo is cheap. Will use just for plinking and maybe the odd gopher in the back 40.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:11 AM

Beretta makes a good quality pistol, and yes, 9mm is a good choice because the ammo is cheap. The US military uses them, which says something about their quality and reliability. I have a 9mm CZ, and it's a lot of fun to shoot. Some would recommend a 22 as your first pistol, but I think 9mm is good to start with too.

I'm not trying to be a condescending jerk or anything, but you probably don't want to mention shooting gophers with a pistol in Canada because they are illegal to shoot anywhere else than an approved range. If you got caught with it shooting gophers you would end up with serious criminal charges and would probably lose all of your guns. I may be paranoid, but you never know who might be monitoring a public chat board.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:12 AM

Nothing worse than gophers on your pistol range...

I have a couple beretta's, they are well made and reliable guns.

There's only a couple knocks on the Beretta's I have:

1.Some people get turned off by the size of the grip of the double stack frame sizes. I have a 92FS and a 92 compact. The compact is a single stack, and fits my hand a bit better.

2. The trigger pull is quite long. I replaced the factory spring with D springs, which helped a little, but still quite a long pull.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:05 AM

I find the Beretta or the Taurus copy to be very easy to shoot well. It is a physically large gun though. You may want to try something smaller. It is very controllable.