Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
In those applications fat tires with low tire pressure is the way to go.
Try drivng down the hiway with said tires at 4 psi!!!!
Fat tires in packed, drifted snow, will get you stuck, float across the hard stuff, sink into a soft spot and you done!!! High centered!!! in the middle of a drift. Better to cut through and plow with your axles, back up and plow through somemore, with your tires in the dirt, than float and sink!!! I pulled the chev 1/2 ton with 35"x 12.5" tires 5 times through 18" drifted snow!. it would float and sink, float and sink, float and sink. Now the tacoma was lighter, I did not need chains untill I started pulling the other truck through the drifts, Get stuck, back up, pin it, push through. One hell of a ride. Met some good people.
Light truck with 265 pizza cutters and chains, Ive driven circles around 44" boggers with 500 hp heavy trucks in the mud or snow.

I agree with you, just pointing out that fat, big tires aired down to 4 psi will get you very far in most snow conditions. Not sure if you watched the entire Top Gear program, but those guys drove for days in similar and much worse conditions than you drove. For practical applications in and around Alberta, there is no doubt that v-bar chains is the way to go. That is why I carry them.

Cheers