Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-12-2007, 07:22 PM

Nice shootin'.... very nice rig!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:21 PM

Nice shootin Brad! Rick makes a good rifle doesn't he. Just curious are you using gun juice? I know Rick is a big fan of it.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:10 PM

I agree that Coyotes and other varmint need to be controlled. At the same time I also think that show casing the big hole you made with your shiny rifle can be taken the wrong way. This can have a negative effect on the population control that some enjoy.

I know a few farmers who would disagree with just shooting and leaving the carcuss to rot, this attracts more scroungers. Usually they will shoot the animal and then either skin it themselves or trade the carcuss off.

I am not disagreeing with your post. But do agree that show casing the way you did can cause injury to a already fragile hunting situation.

After reading posts on here and other sites about hunter ethics I have to wonder if there really are any one set of ethics for any given group or type of people. Remember what you post and how you post it can have a negative or a positive effect over all on the sport.

Good shooting, and man is that ever a big rifle. I bet at 1500m you could snipe out a yote.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:40 PM

What's a setup like that worth?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:19 AM

HEy Brad I think hes saying that 1000 yards on a target is impressive.
Least thats the way I read it.
I dont loose sleep over people shooting and leaving coyotes, however I wouldnt participate in such activity myself .....that doesnt mean I wouldnt shoot one just if I chose too I would shoot it and preserve the pelt.

Wicked gun BTW and either way great shooting .....pretty soon your going to need a windage calculator.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:28 AM

Default Gun juice

I use gun juice on all my rifles now, I was skeptical at first but I am a believer now...... My barnard action .22-250AI, I used gun juice a the beginning, shot over 150 rounds thru it, and i thought well lets use some wipeout and see..... Overnight it had 1 drop of blue, not the patch coming out, but a DROP in the liquid at the end of the muzzle, 3 more patches and it all the carbon was out, squeeky clean, now i just clean it with gun juice.....

I realize that some people might object to the damage, but how many of you have used say a .22-250 or a .204, or .243..... I have used all the above and in each of the above calibers I have splashed a coyote that had damaged the hide to that extent....Big holes..... Its not like I plan on using this EVERYTIME, when my .22-250AI is back from Doctor Rick, Ill be using that, 55gr noslers at 4030 FPS......I should be good to around 500 yards, maybe a bit more with that.....

Anyways, next time i post a yote, IF it says graphic, maybe if you object, exercise your right NOT to look.....

Brad
Old 12-13-2007, 11:59 AM

I have shot coyotes with a 222, 223, 22-250, 243. they all have ripped a huge hole in a coyote. Bigger than I would have ever thought.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Stop it !

Bradtothebone quit showing that rifle I can't take it! there are 6800 loonie reasons I should not be interested in that rig and thats before the first shot!
AAAAGH I am going to ATR next week you are like the Axis of evil.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Banned

Damn those infernal devil dogs all to hell.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:41 PM

Like I said guys, nice shot! And cool gun!

But I guess I was raised a little differently.
I was taught to respect animals of all kinds and be forgiving.
To treat nature and mother earth with respect.

Hey, I have made some bad judgments myself but all in all, I try to act
in a professional manner.

Like one gentleman mentioned, I would sooner see your groupings
on a target at the same yardage. then as a trapper, to waste a 25.00 buck peace of fur.

With respect.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:24 PM

Would a ethical hunter try to shoot a animal at ridiculous distances . I don't think so. If you aren't sure of a clean kill don't take the shot. It not worth taking a chance of wounding even a coyote . Posters like you only encourage others to try to shoot a unreasonable distances so they can brag about how good they can shoot . You probably wouldn't here of how bad they felt when their query ran off wounded . Thats just the way I look at it. thanks
Old 12-13-2007, 02:35 PM

I can say that with LR usage and a rifle like that a 1000yard shot is not out of it's reasonable range and or expectations as long as the person behind the rifle is good at what they do.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
I can say that with LR usage and a rifle like that a 1000yard shot is not out of it's reasonable range and or expectations as long as the person behind the rifle is good at what they do.
Well maybe but he said he missed 18 inches at 925 yrds.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:51 PM

Would a ethical hunter try to shoot a animal at ridiculous distances . I don't think so. If you aren't sure of a clean kill don't take the shot. It not worth taking a chance of wounding even a coyote . Posters like you only encourage others to try to shoot a unreasonable distances so they can brag about how good they can shoot . You probably wouldn't here of how bad they felt when their query ran off wounded . Thats just the way I look at it. thanks[/QUOTE]

Good Point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiker View Post
Well maybe but he said he missed 18 inches at 925 yrds.
Oh yeah, that #1 for the contest.... i MISSED the 925 yard one by about 18inches my spotter said.

He was using a spotter and at 925 yards.
This tells me with even a good spotting scope he may have missed by 3 feet or more.

With Respect.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Banned

gsteeves, I want to ask you a question and one only. I want you to give one answer only and its yes or no that simple just yes or no...
I will not respond after this..

Have you ever shot a gopher or trapped a mouse... " YES or NO" ...
Old 12-13-2007, 06:25 PM

I try not to encourage any thing but good behaviour. To me owning a sniper quailty rifle belongs to Snipers, LRs belong as a tool for snipers not hunters.
The same can be said about NVG scopes etc.

Everybody has their own opinions as to what is ethicle and what is not.
The killing of the Coyote is a means to protect livestock. The show casing of the wounds with the gun that did it is in some views distastefull. To others it is delightfull.
It is up to the individual to deceided what is right and wrong as long as it is within the law.

It is posted as graphic and should be treated as such.

Not trying to pick a fight with anyone here. Were all in for the same reasons, that is good hunting for a sustainable future.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Anyways

IF you have taken a shot and missed at a yote, deer or whatever at say 300 yrds, with your factory rifle, are you any different? ARE YOU sure of a clean humane kill? I can honestly say I have missed at closer ranges, and I am sure so have the majority of all of you..... Well at least when I shoot long distances, I use a spotter giving me distances and watching for hits/ misses..... Its not like I just line up and start hammering away....

WHATEVER..... To all that have givin me the "good shot" etc etc.... Thanks, As I have invested a fair amount in this hobby.... (DONNY BEAR---> Your turn, theres a .338 NON Ackley Lapua with 28"bbl waiting at RIcks I do believe right now...... RIcks also a Nightforce dealer!!! An easy way to drop mega loonies in one place eh?)

And to all who don't like it...I am not going to argue fight or be mad, but how about this, don't try to tell me that you are SURE of a humane kill, SURE of your shot and that you have NEVER MISSED.... Because I think you'd be trying to fool youselfs not me... I may have born at night but not last nite.....

So me missing at 925 yrds with this kinda rifle and effort I have placed at the range is probably no different than a standard rifle with someone who shoots once in a while, goes to the range to sight in his rifle and thats it....I am not saying all that have posted negitivily are in that catagory, but I think you catch my drift.......
Old 12-13-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
gsteeves, I want to ask you a question and one only. I want you to give one answer only and its yes or no that simple just yes or no...
I will not respond after this..

Have you ever shot a gopher or trapped a mouse... " YES or NO" ...
No, I'm from northern Alberta.
And yes and they taste real good if you know how to cook them.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:37 PM

It is posted as graphic and should be treated as such.

Not trying to pick a fight with anyone here. Were all in for the same reasons, that is good hunting for a sustainable future.[/QUOTE]

As CTD said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good point!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:11 PM

The topic should of said "No whiners" C'mon guys, a gun is a tool, just like any other tool the more specialized you buy the better it works. My farmer buddy liked the looks of the mini14 cause he could shoot it fast in the yard. When he shoots coyotes he doesn't care if they bang/flop, spin round n' round or run off yelping. Did I forget to mention he HATES coyotes. As far as I see there is nothing wrong with sniping coyotes with a BIG gun at ranges that My little scopes would have a hard time picking up a yote. And this is coming from someone who does save pelts. Wonder how many coyotes it would take to buy a rig like that?? Leave Brad alone and worry more about the B&C deer that are getting wacked tonight in the headlights of some beat up pickup in some rural county.

ruger300
Old 12-13-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
Bradtothebone quit showing that rifle I can't take it! there are 6800 loonie reasons I should not be interested in that rig and thats before the first shot!
AAAAGH I am going to ATR next week you are like the Axis of evil.

No Kidding . I happened to see Brad at the range, and he was generous enough to let me loose a few rounds (thanks again Brad..I think, P). That gun is TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE...blew my mind. And that jewel trigger..man oh man...I never realized how crappy my 2.5 lb tuned factory triggers really are. I am pretty much ruined for life...or at least until my pet rifles get the jewel treatment..umm..and a nightforce ....
Old 12-13-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
Leave Brad alone and worry more about the B&C deer that are getting wacked tonight in the headlights of some beat up pickup in some rural county.
Exactly!

Brad, your more than welcome to come to my place and put big holes in coyotes, at whatever distance you want, anytime. I only wish I had a gun like that and could shoot it that well.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:33 PM

Default hey depopulater

I gotta do a few things at work yet (i help a buddy in the patch when im not doin my regular stuff) Ill give ya a call and well go out..... I should also have my .22-250AI back next week.... Other than the odd day here and there after this week and the obligatory holidays I'm good to go....

Hey that day were at the range, the 300m group i shot measured out at .557 centre to centre.... I kept the target....I'm happy with that...

Lets set something up, let me know your schedule..

Brad