Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2011, 08:34 AM

Default Auger blowing oil around carb?

Okay, a few weeks ago I picked up an older used Eskimo auger from a forum member. So far it's been running great, and it saved the day yesterday when we were out and the cord came off buddy's Jiffy, but I also noticed that it's starting to blow oil out around the carb.

Now I am NOT at all mechanically inclined when it comes to engines of any size, so I'm looking for a little guidance as to what I should do to stop this.

Aside from the oil leaking out the little 33cc motor runs great, even when cold. Is there anything that a guy such as myself can do to fix it, or am I going to be stuck taking it in somewhere and being without an auger for a while?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-20-2011, 08:52 AM

Default cold

probably cause it was cold and the gaskets didnt seal too good, bet the oil stopped once it warmed up probably! or a gasket is cracked, carb kits are pretty cheap
Old 02-20-2011, 08:57 AM

Yes I am guessing its the gasket leaking as well?

Not familiar with that motor but I suspect there is a block of reed valves between the carb and crankcase. Sounds like the gasket between the crankcase and reed valve assembly.

Easy to change just be ridiculously clean and you should be fine.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:24 AM

I'd start by making sure all the screws are tight. These motors don't usually have all that much running time so chances are things are just loose.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Will it survive a couple more uses before I get brave enough to take it apart?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Gone Hunting

I believe the other guys have it nailed.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. Will it survive a couple more uses before I get brave enough to take it apart?
I wish i could actually see it.If its leaking oil out then it can draw air in. That would make it run lean and that is bad. You should try noklu's advice and check and see if the screws or studs that hold it all together are tight.

If it runs a bit like it is about to run out of gas(revs higher than normal, easily) then i would say not to use it. If it runs normally and you have not turned the high speed screw then it will likely be okay for a few more trips.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:52 PM

Thanks. So far it's been sounding okay and hasn't been revving too high, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it until I get it fixed. In the meantime I'll pull the cover off and make sure everything is snugged up.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 02-21-2011, 12:18 PM

Maybe it just has way too much oil in the fuel mixture. Try draining all the fuel and add new with the proper mixture.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:29 PM

First off take a pic of where you think it is leaking so we can get a better idea, don't think there will be a reed cage on it , the engine should be piston port.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Banned

Is the oil leaking out or blowing out like you say. If its blowing out it sounds to me like the rings are shot and its getting some blow by...
Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Is the oil leaking out or blowing out like you say. If its blowing out it sounds to me like the rings are shot and its getting some blow by...
Its a 2 stroke,,,it can't have blow by it just wont have enough compression to run the carb diaphrams. The carb to head gasket is most likely hard and dried out at one time. The leaking fuel may expand the gasket but it is very unlikly. Like the others said tighten it and it might be okay for a while. Do not use any sealant to try to fix it as this will plug up compression holes used to make the carb work. If it will still start and run then lean damage is very unlikly as you said it looks like oil coming out so that tells me the fuel is mixed way too strong already. Get the walbro number off the side of the carb and go to napa and buy the kit. you should change both diaphrams as well as the gaskets. Change the needle if you want. But if the needle holder is dimpled from the diaphram you better change it too. Make sure the adjustment screws go back exactly the same amount of turns or dont even take them out at all if you dont know you can return them back to the original spot. There are several post in the search area that are detailed and very good with an explanation on how to set one of those carbs
Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 PM

Thanks again guys!

I took it out today, and tightened it as best I could before firing it up. Sounded like it was still running okay, but there was still oil bubbling out.

After taking another look at it while it was running, it's not really BLOWING out, but it's definitely coming out at the gasket...particularly at the top. I'll snap a pic of the spot in question in the next day or so.

Gas shouldn't be rich...this is the first can I ever mixed up for it...100ml of oil in a 5L can of gas, which should be 50:1 if my math is correct.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 AM

Gaskets will be cheap and they are very easy to work on. Just gotta find a Eskimo dealer. Get the gaskets and try to fix it yourself. If you can't get it right then drop it off at the repair shop.