Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2009, 10:33 PM
gitrdun

Default Candied Salmon Recipe - here it is.

I've had a few members PM me asking for my Smoked Candied Salmon recipe.
I've put it in a Word document so that it could be shared with all those interested. I must stress two things:
1. cut the salmon fillets no thicker than about 1/2".
2: make sure to use a very mild smoke.

If you do it right, I guarantee you won't be able to keep it for long.....enjoy!

Why not let us know how yours turns out.
Attached Files
File Type: doc CandySalmon.doc (19.5 KB, 610 views)
Old 02-06-2009, 10:52 PM

I also have a Bradley, and have found the smoke is often overpowering. Any suggestions? What I have been doing the last couple jerky batches is alternating the smoke a few times throughout the drying process, but I'm wondering if there is a better way.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:17 PM
gitrdun

Actually it was my daughter who had the problem with the Bradley overpowering the salmon. I think that what you need to do is make a cold box. You can then feed the hot smoke out of the Bradley into the cold box where the racks will be placed. I believe that Bradley makes one, but you can easily make your own for cheap. You could also check Bradley's web site, just google them, they also have a discussion forum. I've used the Traeger, they are very expensive but they're also a BBQ and they are killer.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:34 PM

Default Another Candied Salmon Recipe

I haven't tried yours yet, but I tried one on the weekend that is worth sharing, so thought i'd post it up..

It started with 6.5# of Atlantic Salmon from Costco.
After cutting the salmon in strips, it is put in a brine.
Brine consists of :
Nogs Candied Salmon brine
1/2 gallon of water
1/2 cup of coarse salt
4 cups of maple syrup
6 cups of honey
8 cups of sugar
1/4 cup of lemon juice.

Put all the pieces in a foodsaver bag for 12 hours.

After 12 hours, the pieces are laid out and air dryed for 24 hours

They start off opaque but then turn translucent.

After the air drying they are moved into the smoker for light heat and smoke flavour
I put this batch in for 6 hours, then pull the smaller pieces and cooked the bigger pieces a couple hours longer.

The final product is a strip that definately tastes like salmon with sweet taste and smokey smell. And the texture is like a gummy bear.

More work then most recipes and expensive, but something different.

Ive got a smoker log for any enthusiasts out there.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:25 PM

my stomach just growled!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:54 PM

Default candy

gitrdun, what temp do you run your smoker at for 12hrs?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
I haven't tried yours yet, but I tried one on the weekend that is worth sharing, so thought i'd post it up..

It started with 6.5# of Atlantic Salmon from Costco.
After cutting the salmon in strips, it is put in a brine.
Brine consists of :
Nogs Candied Salmon brine
1/2 gallon of water
1/2 cup of coarse salt
4 cups of maple syrup
6 cups of honey
8 cups of sugar
1/4 cup of lemon juice.

Put all the pieces in a foodsaver bag for 12 hours.

After 12 hours, the pieces are laid out and air dryed for 24 hours

They start off opaque but then turn translucent.

After the air drying they are moved into the smoker for light heat and smoke flavour
I put this batch in for 6 hours, then pull the smaller pieces and cooked the bigger pieces a couple hours longer.

The final product is a strip that definately tastes like salmon with sweet taste and smokey smell. And the texture is like a gummy bear.

More work then most recipes and expensive, but something different.

Ive got a smoker log for any enthusiasts out there.

do they taste as good as they look??
Old 01-16-2011, 11:56 PM

Default salmon

Temps for smoking, and where do you get nogs candy brine from?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:32 AM

I've been using the Bradley Digital 6 rack for a couple years now, smoking everything you could imagine. As far as salmon (and pretty much everything else for that matter) goes, be sure to always keep your vent open during the smoke phase to avoid an overpowering smoke flavor.

For an amazing resource of recipes, techniques, help, and discussion, go to bradleysmoker.com and into the forums. The most popular recipe for smoked salmon is credited to a guy called Kummock. It's a good starting point, but remember that smoking is about trial and error as well as personal taste. I like to use a LOT of maple syrup (as well as maple wood for smoke...no more than 1.5-2 hrs of smoke!). Towards the end of the heat phase i brush the pieces with maple syrup and large bits of fresh cracked pepper...doesn't sound like the best combo but it works out great.

Kummock's recipe below...

Step 1: PREPARE FISH
Filet salmon. Leave skin on. REMOVE ALL BONES (Very important for excellence!)

Step 2: UNIFORM STRIPS
Cut meat into uniform strips, 3/8 to 1/2” wide and 3-6” long, OR as long as your smoker racks can handle......the key here is to get uniform thickness cuts for uniform brining and smoking. The length is important only as far as your own packaging preferences. The strips will have a tendency to fall or sag through the larger grid racks.........I've switched to a small grid (1/2") teflon coated rack from WWW.ChezBubba.com and now have no problem with meat falling through

Step 3: BRINING
Soak in your own brine recipe for 12 hours at refrigerator temps (I use an Igloo type ice chest with about a gallon of ice thrown in). For more complete brining throughout, place a stainless steel or wooden grate over the top of the meat to hold it under the brine. Stir fish a few times during the brining process. The following brine recipe is included to get you started, but you are encouraged to experiment with your own salt/sugar, maple, honey, peppers, seasonings to develop your own. (My apologies to our metricated friends)
1 gallon cold water
1 quart teriyaki OR soy sauce
1 cup pickling salt
2 Lbs brown sugar
2 Tbsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp cayenne pepper
Step 4: GLAZING
Place fish in a single layer on drying racks and ensure that the pieces DON’T touch each other. Dry in a cool, shady place until a hard pellicle forms. Fish will have a tough, shiny coat and will be slightly tacky to the touch. (Winter time tip! Dry 12-36 hours in a cold place such as an unheated garage, but DON’T allow to freeze) In the summer temps, it can typically take 3-4 hours for the fish to “glaze”. A fan can help speed the drying process. DON’T let the fish spoil from warm temps! Turn the fish over 2-3 times during the Glazing process to ensure more complete glazing. It is during the glazing process that you can sprinkle on certain spices (e.g. cayenne pepper) and/or visual enhancers (e.g. parsley flakes).

Step 5: SMOKING
Smoke using the following Bradley Smoking guideline:
100°-120°F for 1-2 hours, then increase to
140° for 2-4 hours, then increase to
175° for 1-2 hours to finish

Use the longer times given for thicker/higher oil content fish. As a general rule, the higher temp you use or the longer you hot smoke, the more the meat cooks the oils out, HOWEVER, the meat becomes dryer/tougher in the process. I've "accidently" left meat (silver salmon) at the 140-150°F range for up to 8 hours and it still turned out great. I personally believe that you'd have to try REAL hard to make a batch of smoke salmon unpalatable by over smoking/cooking. If you get white “boogers” on the meat, you’re cooking too high/too fast.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
gitrdun, what temp do you run your smoker at for 12hrs?
Old 01-17-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit151 View Post
do they taste as good as they look??
7 pounds of smoked salmon gone in 3 days. I would say my family liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
Temps for smoking, and where do you get nogs candy brine from?
the brine that i had listed was Nog's Candied salmon brine. I "borrowed" his brine recipe from a forum so was just giving him his credit, as it wasnt my recipe.

My temps from my log are:
Time Temperature (f)
10am 125
11am 145
12:00 pM 125
01:30 pM 125
02:30 pM 115
03:30 pM 110
04:00 pM 100