Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-14-2010, 11:44 AM

Default WMU 300 Elk

No I didn't draw a tag before researching

Thinking of getting a late season antlerless tag in the future for a reason to see some new country.

Anyone want to share what permission would be like, to get in the late season? Where the elk would be, if the weather pushes them out of the park.

Easy, hard, is RAMP working down there?

Any info appreciated
Old 08-14-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post

Thinking of getting a late season antlerless tag in the future for a reason to see some new country.

Anyone want to share what permission would be like, to get in the late season? Where the elk would be, if the weather pushes them out of the park.

Any info appreciated
You need the 3 feet of snow\ -40 celcius in January on the B side,then the SOB's will be out of the Park.My uncle applies\hunts there for elk in the late season.

Or PM Chuck,I think that he lives in wmu300 he will know!
Old 08-14-2010, 05:58 PM

Alot of WMU 300 cow elk hunting depends on the cold weather. A strong north wind and larger amounts of snow cause the cows to cross out of the park into the private land. Often times, you can have severe weather, lots of snow, but without that strong north wind they dont like to leave the park.

It can be a waiting game that lasts all season long, and sometimes you wont see a single elk out of the park. Lots of good permission usually though, and if you get the right guys to contact you when the weather cooperates, you can come down and hunt them when they get out. You need to be flexible on when you can come and be able to come at a moments notice.

I'm assuming you're talking about the undersubscribed, so much of the info I've provided here applies to the late season and often there are more 'A' side tags left over than 'B' side.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Any info appreciated
Old 08-15-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Any info appreciated
Weather is a big factor in 300, chinooks tend to keep herds in the park. Also wolf predation has made for the cow herds to bunch up and not travel out as often. When they come out they tend to be on ranchers haystacks. Access is generally good, and yes RAMP is working down there. PM me if you get drawn.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:54 PM

From what I know - I wouldn't bother with a cow tag on the "B" side for the late season, the cows don't usually come out, the "A" side however is a different story ... weather, as everyone has said, is a big factor ... I have hunted the "B" side in the late seaon twice for bulls, never seen a cow. My father and I both have taken bulls on the "B" Side on separate occasions(although they were during the middle season) I know a few people that have taken cows on the "B" side in the first season, hope this helps
Old 08-15-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
I take it that Brownbear got drawn? As did I: sHa_shakeshout::sH a_shakeshout:
Old 08-16-2010, 12:43 AM

I went hunting down there about 5 years ago and found it to be rather frustrating as the elk are there they just know exactly where that fence is. I waited for a cold snap and some snow like I heard you needed (-20 to 30 and a foot of snow) and went down there for a few days. I did a fair bit of glassing for the first while, did a bit of walking around, talked to some of the locals (who were awesome and helpful) I ended up seeing 3 herds of elk for a total of 60-70 animals unfortunatly they were all 300-500 yards inside the park, I ended up walking 5 or 6 miles of park boundery and didn't see a single track that had crossed over out of the park. The animals are definatly there I think you just need a contact who is willing to call you when they come out because when they do they come out in numbers and destroy the haystacks pretty quick. I was on the A side in the latest season.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:21 AM

Default Wmu300b

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBHunter View Post
I wouldn't bother with a cow tag on the "B" side for the late season, the cows don't usually come out,
Any feedback on this. I was thinking of heading down there for my last push for a cow elk.

thanks