Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-07-2010, 06:36 PM

Default Two person tree stand

Ok, looking for some input here.

LeanMean gets his license next year. I need to be right beside him while he has a firearm as per the law.

THUS, I am looking for a two person tree stand. Prefer one with a ladder on the front. Weight isnt an issue.

20ft high is perfect. The trees I plan to use are large.

If you have experience with a two person tree stand as above, let me know what you like and don't like.

Thank you
Old 12-07-2010, 06:52 PM

Hello HS.

I've been using the two-man Big Game ladder stands. They are very sturdy. I don't remember the model name but it's rated for 500 lbs and seats two pretty comfortably. They also make a camo 'skirt' for it (if you don't mind wearing a skirt!)

If you need anything else feel free to PM me. I think I owe you a favor.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:08 PM

i have never used a double latter stand, but use the normal single man all the time.
key features in latter stands i look for are, easy adjustable gun rail; im a bigger guy and hate squeezing under a fix gun rail.
might be good to get yourself one (or more )of those screw into tree hangers, would let you keep your gun on there as im sure you would let the young lad shoot first.
keep in mind that you will be sitting for hours, so a nice seat is in order and/or bring a foam pad (i like my crappy tire hot seat)
i can be wrong, but think most ladder stands are 15ft, which i more then high enough but you can usually get after market extension; but at any rate, 15ft should not be a deal breaker.
i havent needed one of those blind add-on for gun season, but isnt a bad accessory
a simple cheap folding saw is a must; great to clear any unwanted branches.

since i secure my ladder stand very well and am enclosed on all sides, i personnel dont use the harness, but it isnt a bad idea to get the young lad used to using one; so if you dont like the basic one that comes with the stand, an after market one might be a good investment.

and a couple good strong ropes to pull gear (back pack/guns) up and down from the stand is also good to have.

and just to note, if you have never setup a ladder stand, before climbing up to tie the stand, make sure you bounce on the first run to make it sink in the ground, you dont want it sinking as you climb up/down

and if it looks too windy....wait to setup since you have to climb up the stand while your only security is that your partner is holding the guide lines; and on that note, dont forget to secure the mid bar so it doesnt slip off the tree.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:09 PM

I have a 2 person 16' big game stand as well and it is quite sturdy. My friend and I used it and i found it to be a bit narrow for the two of us.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:33 PM

HS, I'm in sort of the same boat. We're still a couple years out before the oldest 'Shrub' can hunt, but they often tag along. Thus, I am also looking for a two person stand, and will be watching this thread.

For what it's worth, we've been using a Double Bull ground blind for the past couple of years and having a ton of fun with it. They are obviously far more forgiving than treestands. Perhaps something else to consider?

Either way, the 2011 season will be an unforgetable one for yourself and Leanmean!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:23 PM

I am also trying to make the same decision. My 9 yr old daughter has been coming hunting the last 3 yrs and it has been mostly "Road Hunting" and i do not find this too enjoyable. I have finally convinced her to try something a little more challenging and now i am trying to decide the same. What i have found is the "Partner Plus" treestand by Big Game tree stands. It has the largest platform that i could find so far. The platform is 45" wide and 36" deep. Flip up rails and a bigger padded seat. I am kinda swaying towards this one. Also the "Partner Pro" has a decent size platform. It is also a bit taller. I like the large platform to give my daughter more room to move and will probably be more room to store a bag of goodies (large blanket,snacks, etc) to keep her comfortable and entertained. Hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:00 PM

My 9yo daughter came with me this year and we sat in the 2 person 15 footer that CTire had on sale. It actually worked really well. I'm a life-sized guy though, and luckily she is pretty tiny, otherwise, I could see it getting pretty cramped. There is no way you could run two full-figured fellas in one though.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:36 PM

We just purchased a two person stand this last fall. It worked great and has a tonne of room with the floor going completely under the seat so you can put your pack and crap on it and out of the way. Picked it up from Bass Pro on sale so it wasn't bad.

Big Game Partner Pro Stand
Old 12-07-2010, 09:36 PM

If ya wanna sit with class, style, and comfort, Summit Double Barrel HANDS DOWN! Expensive, but well worth it. Especially the long days in the stand. Love it for bear hunting. Just remember to take the seats if bears are in the area
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 12-08-2010, 06:53 AM

Not very portable but can hold 3 if you want.Planning on putting a few more up next year.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Tracker View Post
Not very portable but can hold 3 if you want.Planning on putting a few more up next year.
HEY pal, where's your toe boards and hand rails!! LMAO!!
Fine use of cup-lock scaffold if I do say so!!:>)
Cat
Old 12-08-2010, 07:07 AM

I would hate to miss a shot because of handrails.Just make sure your tied off-the landing hurts.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 AM

I used a big game "big buddy" stand this season. Its solid and Im happy with it...but two adults is a squeeze...one adult and child its damn near perfect.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:15 PM

I was thinking of getting the big game partner stand for spring bear.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:50 PM

Can one adult set a 2 man ladder stand up or is strong help required?
Old 12-08-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Depends how high you're going. Me and my Dad, we are both 6'3" had a struggle putting up mine this fall at 15 foot. Me and my friend this spring had a easy time putting it up at 10 foot. But we just walked it up. I'm sure if you threw a rope over the tree and pulled it up, it would be easier.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Old 12-08-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Tracker View Post
I would hate to miss a shot because of handrails.Just make sure your tied off-the landing hurts.
Just use the hand rail as a gun rest like my buddy does - except his is tube and clamp !
Cat
Old 12-08-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
If it's the Big Game model I have I don't think that could be setup with one adult; at least not safely setup.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:47 PM

My buddy and I set mine up fairlt easily. I went behind the tree and pulled on the criss cross straps and he was in front lifting and walking it up. One adult i would think nearly impossible. 2 a minimun in my books.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:02 PM

some darn good advice guys thank you.

I plan on setting it up in the summer and leaving it there. Private land, quite secluded, and with any luck it will be there in the fall

I appreciate it
Old 12-08-2010, 10:27 PM

VS

I was in the same situation, then just googled the stands, and was sold on the Summit. The fact that it has floating chairs rather than a bench seat, that sold me. It is more expensive, but worth it. Couldn't be happier. And Summit has a very good rep in the treestand business.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic6 View Post

VS

I was in the same situation, then just googled the stands, and was sold on the Summit. The fact that it has floating chairs rather than a bench seat, that sold me. It is more expensive, but worth it. Couldn't be happier. And Summit has a very good rep in the treestand business.

what summit stand is that?I can't find it
Old 12-09-2010, 02:04 PM

Lots of good ideas. I would make sure the ladder is in front though, like the big game models. WSS has one where the ladder is against the tree - it looks like a fall waiting to happen for a little guy. Also don't forget the safety harness, (not like you would though).

My eight year old has come with me for two seasons, and we have taken two deer with the bow from a two man stand during that time.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
what summit stand is that?I can't find it
Summit Double Barrel SS I believe. Bartons Big Country had a stack of them brand new. Only places I seen that had em. I was the first one to buy one
Old 12-10-2010, 05:02 PM

You should see the PM's
Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 PM

I picked up one of Big Dog's Stadium stands a couple years ago and I really like it. It curves around the tree so it's real easy to see and shoot, almost 360 degrees. Only thing I don't like is the shooting rail is kinda flimsy. I plan on adding an extra support to mine.

http://bigdogtreestands.com/ladderstands.html

Scroll down the page to the BDL 1050.