Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2007, 04:38 PM

Treeguy, sorry it took so long to respond to you. Have you been to the Vancouver Airport and flew in internationally? Where ther guy was barracading himself is past the Customs hall. Those doors open to let people out to awaiting reception. Don't know why he's barracading himself

Yes,
Pepper spray does have the potential to kill. There has been incidents where a person died from reacting to OC spray. Unfortunately, I cannnot find the stats I had to back this up.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
One possible explanation for the seizure of the video by police is to prevent the 'photographer' from altering the original film.
That's a great point, but moot at the same time. More than likely there's many hours of surveillence video that would prove that the video had been altered. The fact that the RCMP resisted giving this person's private property back is one thing. The fact that they have not countered this individuals video with video of their own that could be edited accordingly to support their claims that their actions were justified.....is another, and maybe the most telling of all.

Ok, here's another one for Sniper. If the victim were displaying ALL of the visible symptoms of 'excited delerium', and that is the condition that has been present in virtually all taser deaths (another one yesterday in Maryland, 20 year old), then why on EARTH would they opt for the use of the taser?

Tree
Old 11-19-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
Where there guy was barracading himself is past the Customs hall. Those doors open to let people out to awaiting reception. Don't know why he's barracading himself.
I haven't been there. All reports have stated that he was detained in a 'secure' area. Is this yet another piece of misinformation? I don't know. Sounds strange though if he were to have spent 10 hours there. Do you know this as fact, or are you just going by visual references in the video. Could you be mistaken? Just a question, NOT a dig.

Quote:
Pepper spray does have the potential to kill. There has been incidents where a person died from reacting to OC spray.
True, I'm sure. However North American law enforcement just had their (sorry going from memory here) 286ish death via taser yesterday. They probably can't say that about OC spray.

Tree
Old 11-19-2007, 09:58 PM

Tree,
I looked at the video again and it is nowhere inside the Customs hall. Unless they are referring to the whole airport as a secured area, that is not one of the areas that has high level security.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:24 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
wow all this argument but you guys are forgetting one thing. The RCMP officers claim the man had physically fought with them and thats why they tasered him. If you watch the video there was no physical contact what so ever between the Polish man and the police officers until they tasered him. The cops LIED about it and thats why they should get fired and hopefully they are charged with manslaughter aswel.
I find the fact that they lied about their actions and seized the tape to try to prevent people from seeing what actually happened,to be the acts of guilty people.Why would they lie about what happened if they felt that they did nothing wrong?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Tree,
I looked at the video again and it is nowhere inside the Customs hall. Unless they are referring to the whole airport as a secured area, that is not one of the areas that has high level security.
I'm not sure, man. It certainly does add to the mystery, and shows that there still some very hard questions that need to be asked.

I will conceed something though. My inital statements of getting rid of the tasers are, upon further reflection, wrong. They have probably saved 100 times more lives than they have taken. Although you will probably never be able to find those statistics, there is truth to the statement. A dead thug is better than a dead officer EVERY time...period.

The ONLY way that the actions of these officers are justifiable is if they were following protocol and doing what they were told to do. If that is the case, they are innocent.

Where I have a problem is that all of the symptoms displayed in all of the deaths by taser were exhibited by this person and they zapped him within seconds nonetheless and then lied about it. That is either laziness or protocal. Bad news either way.

Tree
Old 11-20-2007, 06:06 AM
stubblejumper

Quote:
The ONLY way that the actions of these officers are justifiable is if they were following protocol and doing what they were told to do. If that is the case, they are innocent.
Since when is lying following protocol?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=TreeGuy;73726]That's a great point, but moot at the same time. More than likely there's many hours of surveillence video that would prove that the video had been altered. The fact that the RCMP resisted giving this person's private property back is one thing. The fact that they have not countered this individuals video with video of their own that could be edited accordingly to support their claims that their actions were justified.....is another, and maybe the most telling of all.

Tree,
You won't see surveillance video shown until this goes to court, and it will the the prosecution team showing it, not the RCMP(defendants).

As for protocol, sometimes the best laid plans goes out the window when the situation becomes real in front of you. The situation doesn't have to become physical for it to be dangerous. The officers may have opted for the quickest and least bit resistive method to subdue the subject.