Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
You need to find a place and get well settled in Grande Cache before thinking about dogs : the place you find may not allow them.
We did find a place, it does allow dogs as I have mine already, and this is not right away, were doing research and will eventually get another pup.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:27 AM

Given the nature of this site I can't believe more people aren't tell you to

GET A HUNTING DOG!!!!!!!

Now you haven't said much about your requirements for a dog... shedding/no shedding, size preference, how much exercise you are willing to give him, what you might use him for, etc. But of all the mainline hunting breeds I've never heard any of them described as unfriendly or dangerous.

Labs, Britts, GSP's, Goldens, etc all good in families. None have been bred to attack people.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:30 AM

Black Lab....absolute best ......
Old 11-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Given the nature of this site I can't believe more people aren't tell you to

GET A HUNTING DOG!!!!!!!

Now you haven't said much about your requirements for a dog... shedding/no shedding, size preference, how much exercise you are willing to give him, what you might use him for, etc. But of all the mainline hunting breeds I've never heard any of them described as unfriendly or dangerous.

Labs, Britts, GSP's, Goldens, etc all good in families. None have been bred to attack people.
Size is no real isse, I dont want to great dane size dog though LOL. Shedding doesn't matter. Will get a ton of exercise with me. Will have to be a good family dog and wouldnt mind a hunting dog at all, not sure what there is for ducks & geese where im going but there grouse, rabbit etc.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterSkeeter View Post
Size is no real isse, I dont want to great dane size dog though LOL. Shedding doesn't matter. Will get a ton of exercise with me. Will have to be a good family dog and wouldnt mind a hunting dog at all, not sure what there is for ducks & geese where im going but there grouse, rabbit etc.
Then a Lab would be a good one.

As mentioned before we have a chocolate and she is damn good, we camp a lot and she never wanderd off, wife has forgot to close the garage door a few times and when she came back the dog was suntanning on the driveway.
She loves to play fetch with her ball, and doesn't care about other dogs.
she is fixed.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Banned

Dec 4 my lab is due. they're going to be half buthead half perfect dog. i mean half German Shepard half golden lab. both dogs are healthy and have no genetic defects according to the vet.

and the best part is they're going to be free!!!! they might be the only mistakes that don't cost you money!
Old 11-12-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterSkeeter View Post
If you want something for both waterfowl and upland take a l look at the versatile dogs... GWP's GSP. I have a Brittany who will do both, but he's not the best for waterfowl when it gets cold. Labs are great for waterfowl and can do field work, but I like a pointing dog for the field myself.... yeah yeah yeah, there are pointing labs around but I don't think they are common.

Others here with more experience with other breeds can chime in. Realistically, there are a bunch of dogs with slightly different hunting tendencies that would all do you just fine.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Now earlier I said Lab,Lab,Lab...

One of the best dogs we ever had was actually a Border Collie/Shepard cross.

She was not a very big dog and so it was easy to have her along in the car or truck when we were traveling. She was smart and obedient and would even go into water to fetch a stick.

Next best dog was a Lab/Springer cross. He was a "rescue" dog of about 1 year old. He would retrieve ducks and grouse for me and Had a tail that always waged and a kind of a smile on his face. He new what a shotgun was and got really excited when he saw one.

Present dog is a Lab/? cross, adopted dog (a fellow on this forum had to give him up and we were lucky enough to get him) A friendly giant, he likes to hunt retrieve, swim just for the fun of it and puppy sit my daughters pup.

I always like to have two dogs as they keep each other company and probably keep the coyotes around home at bay a little better. So I'll be looking for a new pup soon. I sure would like a Lab/cross. Maybe Lab/Springer or Lab/ Setter cross.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 11-12-2010, 03:12 PM
sheephunter

Hard top beat a golden retriever for a family dog.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:27 PM

I have an English Setter and is a great family dog but she isn't well rounded. She is not a guard dog and I think I'll have to get a different dog to protect the house and keep the coyotes away.
I had a German Shepard growing up and she was a wonderful and we used her to train other dogs to look after the house and land. However the worst part was the last 5 years when her hips gave out with hip dysplasia. I love shepards but I don't think I can watch a dog live with that amount of pain again.
Our best dog ever came from a farmer and was a smooth coat collie x lab cross. Nice smart dog. When the dog arrived we didn't even know what kind of dog we were getting but luck was on our side.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:30 PM

Chesapeake!!!! Smartest, most determined, most possessive of all of the retrievers(including family). No one will bother your kids with the dog around.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:54 PM

As far as the hip problems go if you buy from a reputable breeder you should get a 5 generation pedigree.
Through the pedegree you can check the O.F.A medical ratings for the hips of not only the parents but further back as well. This will help in reducing the chances of hip problems.

Ian
Old 11-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Banned

lab
Old 11-13-2010, 11:31 PM

Default New dog

I have an 8 year old Golden Retriever that have we have had since he was 8 weeks old. Great dog, smart, loyal, great with kids, calm, but does shed alot. Have to brush him outside often. We just got a black lab puppy as well. We love labs, and have not been dissapointed. E.J.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:12 AM

i love my Giant Schnauzer!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmaeye View Post
Awesome dogs, I'm on my second one. But, I wouldn't recommend a Heeler to anyone living in the city. My wife dropped a Beagle in my lap early this year, now there is a bag of fun with floppy ears. Love the howling.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKlu View Post
What ever breed you choose make sure you do some research on it before you commit to buy the dog. Lots of people choose the wrong breed and don't find out they can't handle it until it's too late. Some breeds are very high maintenance and need constant attention. If they don't get it they can act out in ways you don't want. Do your homework first.
x2

Look at your lifestyle first, know what you can live with and without.

For example I cannot stand the bark of a Sheltie. It literally hurts my ears. I know I would never own one. I just admire my friends' Shelties. We have Brittanys and I know a lot of ppl can't handle their energy levels. We love the craziness that comes with having three Britts.

Good luck in your search and post some pictures when you get your pup
Old 11-14-2010, 10:27 AM

I trained professionally many years ago and german shepards were by far the best to educate (and a personal favorite) but if you don't have the training experience, you could end up with more trouble than good. Hips are an issue without a clean pedigree.

Labs are the best knuckleheads I know great dog but I've seen too many be rough around little ones. They tend to bump them although with no mal-intent. There's a reason why they get used for human assistance duty but those are carefully selected.

Goldens, great, but the hair.

Border collie and\or crosses are great 'stay-at-home' pets. We have a border/shepard cross right now and she's a peach all around.

Mutts seem to make the best pets. Any purebred can have issues without a clean pedigree.

I love all dogs except the untrained ones. I think owners make more bad dogs than anything else.

If you can get a pick out of a litter (purebred or mutt, any breed), spend an hour or more with all the pups (sit right in with them) and watch their personalities. It will show even at a very early age. Try to ignore cute and pick one that shows the traits you want. High/low energy, thoughtful/rash activity, friendly/aloof, the one you want will show him/herself.

These are just my opinions from my experiences, There's good and bad in every breed.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:50 AM

Dobermans are very smart and are protective of their family.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Banned

get a dog based on there personality not looks.

boxers are great family dogs,so are beagels,bassett's,collie's,labs,goldens,st bernards,bichons,etc,there are alot of great dogs and family dogs but match the dog to you and your lifestyle,don't try to match the dog to you,dogs don't change.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:33 PM

I am thinking about a lab but am a little concerned about size in the house as it would be a house dog. I was told by someone that they had hunted as a guest, over two labs two labs that were considerably smaller than the norm. Is this possible and where would a person find out about these dogs? Also would they still be as tough for waterfowl? Thanks
Old 11-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

Piker, we picked up our small lab From Ring neck out in Strathmore.

Be prepared to wait and I would doubt you would be disapointed. You are allways welcome to come hang with Bear and see her work.

Jamie
Old 11-14-2010, 08:29 PM

How big would your lab be Jamie?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:56 PM

All dogs are only as good as their masters. BUT there is only one breed that truly speaks family and that is the RETRIEVERS! Labrador or Golden! Absolutely no better people dogs than them! The black lab is my favourite!
Old 11-14-2010, 09:47 PM

Anybody have a Pyrenees?
Old 11-15-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl View Post
Anybody have a Pyrenees?
I have a 3/4 Pyrenees and 1/4 anatolian shephard. Awesome dog, she is amazing. Doesn't obey worth a dang when she doesn't want to but such a loving dog.

Last night she told some coyotes to get the heck away from our smaller dogs and they took right off, she was restless for the next hour until I let her back out and she did a lap around the perimeter of the yard and then went inside and passed out.

Gentle giant, loves people and is great with kids, never gets mad.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:46 PM

I'd vote for a Nova Scotia Duck tolling Retriever, not a big dog, very loyal and a great family dog. It's also a perfect hunting dog. Incidently the only dog native to canada. Can be pricey though.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:42 PM

I've gotta go with the Golden Retriever. I have a 3 yr old female and she is simply an amazing dog. Molly is brilliant, loving, protective, obedient and incredibly easy to train- one of the most perceptive dogs I've ever known. She is also the biggest character I've ever met with 4 legs, simply hilarious. With even minimal attention to coat care, shedding is quite manageable.

Growing up and through my adult life we've had a black lab (Noah), a GSP (Anka) and two Springers (Barney and Bailey) and all were good dogs. None can top Molly though, in any way. My wife and I also dog sit for our breeder when they are on vacation etc and have spent lots of time around their adult Goldens as well as probably several dozen of their pups- they are all very consistently good dogs. We will never get another breed of dog other than a well bred Golden.