Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-08-2010, 10:50 AM

Default MODEL 88 FIELD Maverick Arms

I have seen this shotgun on the Whole sports website 14 people have rated it as very good.
is it that good?

Is it a good birding gun? I am not going to use it for ducks or geese.

Thank you
ivor
Old 11-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Banned

Default 88

hi there i have had one for a while andd they cant be beat for the price would recomend it to any one
Old 11-08-2010, 01:39 PM

I have been using one in 20g for about a month so far so good. i got extra choke tubes from Bass Pro
Old 11-08-2010, 03:19 PM

They're fine for a starter shotgun, however the fit and finish leaves mush to be desired.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:20 PM

I'd save up a bit more money and grab an 870, cycle the two and inpsect the finish you'll see and feel a BIG diffrence. However both are 100% reliable if thats all you're after.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:21 PM

Have an 88 in the defender style with the short barrell, love it!!! Not really it's intended use, but actually works good for skeet too!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:28 PM

I have one as a pack gun (pistol grip) and it always goes boom, and yes they are inexpensive, not bad quality for the price....however, my 870 Express is much superior quality, and my Browning BPS is better yet. Right now, Clay at Prophet river has the BPS with a 20" cylinder bore, camp/home defense style, for $329....I know, cause I bought one! There is no better value for the dollar out there right now for a shotgun. If you want a hunting barrel with it I think they are around $279....$650 all in, you have a BPS with two barrels. You won't ever beat the price or quality of that package.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-08-2010, 11:14 PM

Hey guy
Thanks a lot big help. Ithink need make a trip Llyodminster too.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:33 PM

i wouldn't be so quick to compare the 870 with the maverick 88. I own both guns and as far as reliability goes, the maverick has the show hands down. My first 88 has seen literally every kind of ammo available and never had a problem. over 1200 rounds thru it from target loads all the way up to 3" magnum slugs. Never had a single issue. the 870 I own jammed on round 10 and required a complete tear down to get the live ammo out. pieces of the trigger mechanism had literally fallen apart preventing the action from cycling. When I later went to wholesale and bought another maverick(just because I wanted another one), the sales guy said that they had lots of guys that loved those guns, I asked him what he thought of the 870 in comparison (didn't tell him I own one) and he then told me that they were having lots come back to deal with quality issues and problems with the action. Admittedly the 870 is a prettier gun but if my life depended on the shot I know which one to grab.