Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-25-2010, 10:38 AM

Default A lesson learned- Hunting story

My husband and I went elk hunting this weekend. We only have the one rifle and it was my tag so I had to carry the gun. It was also my cow elk tag. Saturday morning we went up to our elk spot and came across a very fresh trail. I walked in on it and no more than 200 yards in was an elk about 150 feet from me and a ton of beds. I didn't have a call or my binoculars, but I lifted the gun to take a closer look. I wanted to be able to shoot if it was what I wanted, but it was a bull so I carried on. he scurried off and I never did see his cows. in total I walked about a mile and a half through the bush carrying this gun... No sling.

That night My husband and I went to the gun shop and picked up a cow call a sling for the gun, and looked a a bunch of guns for me. We now know exactly what I will be getting and soon... Still have moose season coming up.

The next day we went back to the elk spot and found another really fresh trail. Tracks over our tire tracks from when we went in. Again I hiked into the bush. Then I heard it... You know the rustling of something walking. I found the nearest cover I could find. One single tree. Darn, I was stuck in the wide open. I squeaked a couple times and got a reply. 30 seconds later a calf elk comes bouncing up the trail right in front of me. A little squeak with each jump. She stopped no more than my pickup truck length in front of me. As I was contemplating whether or not the calf was a legal kill, two cows walk up to my right and I see them through the corner of my eye. I decided to leave the calf even though I had a whole two minutes to look at her and turned towards the cows. I tried to raise the gun, but my aching muscles from the day before wouldn't let me level it enough to see through the scope that was not necessary. They were only two pickup lengths away from me. There was no log to rest the barrel of the gun on for stability. After about 30 seconds of fighting with the rifle I lowered it and let the cows walk on. I did continue to squeak the call though, and was answered by the bull. After trekking back out of the woods empty handed, my legs and arms no longer able to sustain me. I made up my mind... Hence a huge lesson learned and the moral of this story...

Athough I am comfortable with the gun at the range with a bench to support it, the rifle is way too big for me and I cannot get a safe shot with it without additional support. I will never carry it hunting again because I cannot guarantee a downed log or even a clear shot from prone position. I will purchase the rifle that felt "right" to me and use it for my hunting.

I still have a week left on my elk tag. Hopefully something will come of it... If not moose season is coming up.

A gun that is either too long, too heavy, or two high of calibre is an unsafe gun... If you aren't sure of the shot, don't take it. I know that if I go back there I can probably get close again since I gave them no reason to fear me.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:46 AM

Please invest in some bino's, even cheap ones. A rifle scope is not used to "take a closer look" at anything. It is intended to pick a point of aim to shoot something.
Glad you got the sling and rifle situation sorted out.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Banned

My wife had the same issues with rifles. We ended up getting her a Remington model 7 in a 7mm-08 and she loves it. It is shorter and fits her great. The calibre works well for all animals and she has no problem with the recoil.

Good luck on the rest of your season and if you do pack the heavier rifle get a set of shooting sticks, bi-pod or a mono pod to shoot off. It will help you with the weight.

and yes bino's are a must.
SG
Old 10-25-2010, 10:51 AM

I put the small binoculars in my pocket first thing when I got back to the truck.
My husband had the scouting pair with him. I know not to use the scope to take a better look. At 150 feet I couldn't see the horns, so I honestly did think it was a cow, but once I had him in the scope I realized my mistake. Never again will I enter the woods without the binoculars either. Even at only 150 feet it is hard to count points and see horns. Especially with branches and sticks involved.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:54 AM

I tried the Remmington, but it is too long in the front even though the back of the stalk is short enough. I am going to be going with a Browning 7mm-08 or .308 with the composite stalk. I just hope I can get it before moose season.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 AM

As mentioned previously a set of adjustable shootin sticks will help you.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-25-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
As mentioned previously a set of adjustable shootin sticks will help you.
x2

I bought a:
http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...rod256380.html

this year. It doubles as a really nice walking stick to use when climbing over deadfall in the bush too and is extremely adjustable. You can get it as a bipod as well but it is heavier and not as useful as a walking stick. There are cheaper brands out there that might work just as well for your purposes but I found for me they are cheaper for a reason.

Best of luck putting that yummy cow in the freezer!!
Old 10-25-2010, 12:26 PM

Thanks guys. I was looking at the shooting sticks on Saturday night. I'll probably invest in one, but after I get my own rifle. After I found out how uncomfortable I was with the big gun in the bush, I decided that I might not be as comfortable with the calibre (.300 win mag) in the field as I was at the range either. Let's face it. The gun is way to big for me and I should never have even thought to hunt with it. Lesson learned thankfully without incident. I am no longer going to kid myself into believing that just because I can safely handle a rifle at the range in controlled conditions that it will also be the case in the field, even if it means giving up my cow elk. I will never take a shot that I am not absolutely certain of. A proper fitting rifle is an absolute must for safety.

Although I am disappointed in not getting my elk yet and at myself for even thinking I could hunt with that gun. I am proud of myself for keeping my head even with the adrenalin pumping and not taking a questionable shot.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMiss View Post
Thanks guys. I was looking at the shooting sticks on Saturday night. I'll probably invest in one, but after I get my own rifle. After I found out how uncomfortable I was with the big gun in the bush, I decided that I might not be as comfortable with the calibre (.300 win mag) in the field as I was at the range either. Let's face it. The gun is way to big for me and I should never have even thought to hunt with it. Lesson learned thankfully without incident. I am no longer going to kid myself into believing that just because I can safely handle a rifle at the range in controlled conditions that it will also be the case in the field, even if it means giving up my cow elk. I will never take a shot that I am not absolutely certain of. A proper fitting rifle is an absolute must for safety.

Although I am disappointed in not getting my elk yet and at myself for even thinking I could hunt with that gun. I am proud of myself for keeping my head even with the adrenalin pumping and not taking a questionable shot.

Yup you will do well. Good attitude. Good luck to ya. Garrentee you will love a 708.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Was the Remington that you tried a Model 7.
They are shorter than the Remington 700 and a very different gun.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-25-2010, 12:58 PM

Yes it was the model 7 the length was okay but it felt heavy... could just have been muscle condition too. I will check it again before I make my final purchase. I also tried the winchester featherlight but I couldn't reach the front grip, I tried several youth modles but when I picked up the Browning it fit snugly into my shoulder, the weight was comfortable even with my sore arms, and I the front grip was set in a comfortable position. I could even level it at the target on the wall steadily. I kind of fell in love with the feel of the gun. I wish the gun shops would have a day once a month at the range for people to actually fire the rifles, even though I know from experience that won't completely relate to the experience in the field. I also am aware that generally the lighter the gun, the harder the recoil.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I tried the Remmington, but it is too long in the front even though the back of the stalk is short enough. I am going to be going with a Browning 7mm-08 or .308 with the composite stalk. I just hope I can get it before moose season.
Suspect that will be a good choice. I have an .270 A-bold in composite and it's pretty light, as far as rifles go... the 7-08 should be even a little lighter recoiling, so sounds like a great gun for you.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:07 PM

good story and good experience for sure....some off season resistance training will help with muscle strength and stamina as well...so you are ready to go net time with a rifle that fits you. well done.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:46 PM

A Browning will be fine. Shooting sticks, or looped trekking poles work well for shooting rests. Did you try leaning against the tree? You are right to go to a smaller calibre. Good luck to you.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:03 PM

The only tree within 10 feet of me was the one I was sitting beside. Just my luck to have them coming to me as I walked into a clearing. I was squeaking as I walked on the game trail... just to see if I could locate a direction. I knelt down as soon as I saw the calf come bouncing up to me squeaking away. The tree was between me and the cow. She came in kitty corner to me from the North west. Well so did the calf but he stopped ~15 feet north of me. I haven't tried leaning on a tree but with how little strength I had left in my arms it probably wouldn't help in that particular situation although I will try it one day. I couldn't even get the gun stabilized on my knee in the kneeling shooting position. Shooting sticks would have helped... Will make some if I don't purchase with my rifle.

As I watched her walk away I almost wished I was a bow hunting even though the draw would about kill me... The only bow I have ever had to practice with was a 55lb draw. ~ 30 feet is nothing to sneeze at easy shot with rifle if lined up. Even still I don't think I would have got the shot off even with the bow... More weight lifting for me this year I guess.

I am now known as "No Shot" at my husbands work and get ribbed mercilessly, but one of the guys who has been bow hunting for 30 years said that he has never been that close to an elk. He also stated that I shouldn't have been able to call them in at this time of year?

Is that true? That they shouldn't be coming in to the call? The bull was within 50 feet of me, I'd guess. He was just grunting away although I didn't see him.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
Please invest in some bino's, even cheap ones. A rifle scope is not used to "take a closer look" at anything. It is intended to pick a point of aim to shoot something.
Glad you got the sling and rifle situation sorted out.
of course yet another post like this... keep it for the riflescope as a spotting scope or what ever thread...
Old 10-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Gone Hunting

If you see an ELK and you may shoot it if it is an antler-less, I see no reason not to look at it through your rifle scope.

That is a lot different from seeing "something brown" and putting the rifle scope on it to see what it is.

And the permit is for an "antler-less" elk, not a cow elk. You can shoot a calf and many would recommend that you do.

A cow who has had a calf has proven to be a good mother and is likely to survive the winter and have another calf next spring.

A calf, may not get through the winter and will not have a calf next spring but might have a calf the next spring that may or may not survive till fall.

For the good of the elk herd taking a calf makes sense.

Falling in love with a rifle is the best reason to buy it. You will probably enjoy taking it to the range and practising with it. You will become competent and confident with it.

Good luck!

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 10-25-2010, 06:12 PM

Default Elk calf

Duffy is right, also half the calves are male and will never have a calf next spring also very tasty.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
of course yet another post like this... keep it for the riflescope as a spotting scope or what ever thread...
some might say....of course another hunter using a rifle scope in place of binos or a spotter.

so what makes what you said right and that wrong?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
some might say....of course another hunter using a rifle scope in place of binos or a spotter.

so what makes what you said right and that wrong?

Maybe what he really meant was "lets not derail this thread by turning it into a to scope or not to scope thread."

I agree and I should not have interjected what I said re: "using a scope for final identification"

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 10-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
Maybe what he really meant was "lets not derail this thread by turning it into a to scope or not to scope thread."

I agree and I should not have interjected what I said re: "using a scope for final identification"
it was mentioned early that may not be the best idea. it hasnt been mentioned since, most likely because the thread starter agreed quite quickly that it was a poor practice. by admitting a mistake, there is no reason to take the thread in that direction.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:54 PM

I find that most factory rifles have too long of a stock. They are made for the average person and a lot of us are not average. I always have to cut my stocks slightly shorter to fit properly & put a limbsaver recoil pad on it. You probably know this but when you try a rifle in the store without a scope it feels a way different than when a scope and a few rounds are put in it. Another thing I have found is there is a big difference between a lower weight gun and balance. What I want is a rifle that feels like it isn't too front heavy. Good luck on your search for a rifle and the fact that you ran into elk twice in a row sounds awesome!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 07:08 AM

hey MM, just a thought. you don't have a friend or husbands workmate you can borrow a lighter gun from for a day do you? maybe for the price of a box of shells or a case of beer you might be able to enjoy some elk tenderloin. an open sight 30/30 (or whatever other calibre is available) can do the job easily from two truck lengths away.
cheers
Old 10-26-2010, 09:29 AM

Actually when we told a friend/hunting buddy of ours about it, he offered me a .308 that his 14 year old son is using. It is his wifes gun. In return my husband and I are going to take him and two of his sons (they have some bull tags) up to the place where we have been seeing the elk on the understanding that the antlerless goes down first, since the tag expires on Sunday.

I wish I knew someone with an open sight gun. The whole trouble was with not being able to see anything at all through the scope even dialed down. I didn't get the gun leveled enough. Scope is useless at that range for me anyway. At 30 feet you can't miss but you can make a terrible shot and I won't take that risk.

Since the elk are coming in to the call, I might just set myself up in cover with our hunting buddy (making sure to have a ton of logs down around us) and use the gun he offered. That way there is someone else there to help me out if I have trouble again.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:36 AM

I find those Ruger compacts to be a nice light handy little rifle. A bit too small for my mitts but would be perfect for a lady or a young hunter. Had one in 7mm-08 that shot great, took my '09 spring black bear with it, but was just a smidge small for me. Laminate and stainless also make it great for all-weather.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
If you see an ELK and you may shoot it if it is an antler-less, I see no reason not to look at it through your rifle scope.

That is a lot different from seeing "something brown" and putting the rifle scope on it to see what it is.

And the permit is for an "antler-less" elk, not a cow elk. You can shoot a calf and many would recommend that you do.

A cow who has had a calf has proven to be a good mother and is likely to survive the winter and have another calf next spring.

A calf, may not get through the winter and will not have a calf next spring but might have a calf the next spring that may or may not survive till fall.

For the good of the elk herd taking a calf makes sense.

Falling in love with a rifle is the best reason to buy it. You will probably enjoy taking it to the range and practising with it. You will become competent and confident with it.

Good luck!
x2. on all 3 points
Old 10-26-2010, 10:45 AM

In the back of my mind I knew that the calf was a legal kill but I don't know if it was greed (we really really like elk meat and the calf was about the size of a deer) or if I just couldn't kill the baby, but I decided to go for either the cow or the yearling that were standing one in front of the other kitty corner from me. All the elk in this particular area are problem animals especially this year when livestock feed supplies are low.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
In the back of my mind I knew that the calf was a legal kill but I don't know if it was greed (we really really like elk meat and the calf was about the size of a deer) or if I just couldn't kill the baby, but I decided to go for either the cow or the yearling that were standing one in front of the other kitty corner from me. All the elk in this particular area are problem animals especially this year when livestock feed supplies are low.
All the power to ya, I hope you get your cow Elk
Old 10-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Banned

Smile

Quote:
As I was contemplating whether or not the calf was a legal kill,
IMHO, it would be legal. The license is called "Antlerless Elk" not "Cow Elk" even if the often call it that way.

Feel free to correct me.

Thanks for story and Good luck your next time in the bush. Hope you get a rifle you're really comfortable with.