Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-07-2010, 11:41 PM

Default Bows and extreme cold?

Hi all,

Heres a newb question: I am looking at getting my fist bow (Parker Blazer) and was wondering if shooting them when its really cold (lets says below -20) changes the performance or is bad for the bow?

Just wondering....
Old 10-08-2010, 08:33 AM

I dont know about the bows performance but I know your performance sure will change!!!

Think of sitting a few hours in that temp getting colder and colder....now your muscles are getting stiff and you must draw your bow and hold steady. That is where the challange is!

AL
Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 AM

The only thing I have read on the performance of the bow would be to make sure you don't store it in a warm place before using it. The cams can 'sweat' and then freeze up on you. That's never good.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:30 AM

Practice wearing your cold weather gear. Sometimes it takes a little getting use to.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:43 AM

Thanks,
So no issues with limbs cracking or anything?

Cheers1
Old 10-15-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Thanks,
So no issues with limbs cracking or anything?

Cheers1
I'm sure there can be issues. I find that my point of impact is slightly higher in extreme cold (could be my form as much as the bow). I check my draw weight from time to time, in the field (w/ digital Easton scale). My draw weight often increases with the extreme cold. Usually very little, but I've noticed as much as 4 lbs.

Limb material may be more fragile with the cold as well. A friend of mine bumped his bow limb on the edge of his tree stand last December. The result was a little nick, with the limb breaking the next day!!

http://www.ferniergc.com/
Old 10-15-2010, 10:18 PM

I feel that there has to be effects from the cold, its phisics. I've seen sinthetic materials break at -40 and steal cable as well under normal stress. I would think that bow limbs would be more rigid thus increasing draw weight, but at some point, probably way beyond reality, they would snap while drawing.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Hi all,

Heres a newb question: I am looking at getting my fist bow (Parker Blazer) and was wondering if shooting them when its really cold (lets says below -20) changes the performance or is bad for the bow?

Just wondering....
how often dose it get below 20 in october. I have heard that it dose not affect the bow thay shood be made of good material these days.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry b View Post
how often dose it get below 20 in october. I have heard that it dose not affect the bow thay shood be made of good material these days.
True, but one might decide to fire your bow outside from Nov-Feb too
Old 10-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Banned

I've used mine in some decently cold weatherand never had a problem, but my bow is getting old and I would not realy care if it exploded. I imagine the performance does change a little but the difference is probably not any more drastic than the same performance changes one will have with a rifle, you still kill animals.