Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-06-2010, 02:13 PM

And this is why a large number of people are not calling the cops or giving respect to those in law enforcement.

It was not the OP's fault the gun was stolen. IT WAS THE F*&KING DIRT BAG THAT STOLE ITS FAULT. Stop blaming the law abiding people for the criminals actions. If the cops would actually do any police work and catch these guys and if the courts would put them in jail where they belong we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Stop blaming the victim and start blaming the dirt bags that steal. Why should we as citizens cower in fear of criminals and getting our stuff stolen? Make criminals pay or you will start to see more things like what happened near Mirror.

If you are going to say that its the citizens responsibility to minimize the chances of theft maybe we should take back the streets ourselves and then we don't need cops that look down on people and make victims feel like the criminal.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:15 PM

Bigd.... Nowhere did the op blame the police for having his firearm stolen. What was brought up was that, after the fact, it is almost pointless to even report it.
Case in point. I had my, and several others, quads stolen one night. We reported it to the police, and waited and waited and waited. We finally found who did it threw our own little investigation, these persons were known to the police. We even had one of the kids "apologise" to one of the guys for doing it.
We reported this to the police, but unless that kid came in and confessed to them in the police station they were unable or unwilling to do any follow up on it. This is what frustates many people, and this is where the negativity is coming from, IMHO.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
With statements like that, you are only showing your ignorance of the facts. You are simply jumping on the bandwagon with others without doing your own research.

Do you have any idea how many RCMP members there are in this country? Well over 20,000. Now, tell me, how many 'stories' as you call them, can you share with me and how many RCMP members are allegedly involved in these 'stories'? What percentage of the 20,000 plus members do you think are involved in these 'stories'? Even if it were as high as 20 members accused of wrongdoing, this amounts to less than .1% of the force. Lets go really high...200 members...still less than 1%. Much lower than most, if not all, other lines of employment.
http://www.rcmpwatch.com/56-mounties...t-in-one-year/

And that doesn't include the 4 that should be tried for murder in Vancouver.

How about the 12 RCMP officers sent home from the Olympics. http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Fif...974/story.html

I have my research. Where is yours to say that its lower than other professions?

**Edit to add**
Found more interesting stats from the RCMP site its self. In 2008.
Quote:
A total of 4,511 allegations, an increase from 3,104 in 2007, were made against the RCMP and its members, which averaged approximately 2.5 allegations per complaint. The most common complaint allegations as identified by the RCMP were "Neglect of Duty" (29%), "Improper Attitude" (22%) and "Improper Use of Force" (10%).
So over 4500 complaints against RCMP officers in Canada. http://www.cpc-cpp.gc.ca/prr/rep/sir...r-eb3-eng.aspx

Last edited by Donkey Oatey; 10-06-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Banned

Default I really like this paragraph...

Quote:

Tell me this- do you lock your vehicle at night? What about your shed, your house, your office doors etc? Do you do anything else to minimize the chances of being victimized by crime? Do you have children? Did you teach them to put their bikes away off the drive or lawn at night? Did you buy them bicycle locks for their bikes? Did you teach them to lock the doors when they're at home, especially at night? Did you teach them not to talk to strangers? To look both ways before they cross the street? I'll bet you did, I'd wager that most parents do.

:
It really highlights what is wrong these days. As it happens...I grew up in a city and neighbourhood where we didn't lock our vehicles at night. 9 times out of 10 when you asked where the car keys were...the answer was "in the car!!" We never had a lock on our shed, and our house was never locked until I was in high school or maybe even later. My parents never taught me to "hide" my bikes at night or lock the doors when I was at home...even at night. I talked to strangers all the time. Somwhere between my childhood and high school that changed for some reason.

But you know what?? Those were different times. When someone stole something we blamed the criminal. We didn't blame the victim. If someone had something stolen...the police didn't ask him why he left such and such out in the open or unlocked and try to make the victim the guilty party. ALL crime was taken seriously. And criminals were looked down on. Funny...I kinda miss those days.

Didn't really mean for this to become a bash the cops thread again...but sometimes getting poked in the eye upsets the "regular" citizenry. And for what it's worth...I actually have more of a beef with politicians and judges that insist on coddling criminals once they are caught. Prisons are country clubs and sentencing is a joke. 2 strikes and you're out...off the streets for 25yrs. AND at no cost to the public. Prisoners should be looked at as slave labour. They work their bag off or starve.

I'd like to see judges and parole boards held accountable for the actions of those they release into the public earlier than the maximum sentence.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:51 PM

Well, this sure went into the toilet fast...

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
Well, this sure went into the toilet fast...
Actually no it didn't!. One's stupidity ought not to be forwarded unto another's responsibility. > ME

And to add further to this, his action (or lack thereoff) results in yet another firearm into the hands of undesirables, yet adding more firepower to those who wish to take firearms out of our hands. So my final theory is that the OP screwed up, I feel sorry for his loss, but have no sympathy for him. He is an inappropiate and deliquent firearem owner in my books.

Last edited by gitrdun; 10-07-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Nice overriding tone happening here...lets all blame the RCMP for 'letting' someone steal your property. Perhaps they should set up a special task force to stake out and guard vehicles for those that leave valuables in them overnight...perhaps they should have a sign up sheet at every detachment so they will know which vehicles to stake out every night. I'm sure the 2 or3 constables on every shift would have lots of time to carry out this grand plan- i'm sure the other thousands of people in the area won't mind the lack of coverage if they just hang out and babysit your valuables that you were too lazy to remove from your vehicles. Give me a friggin break... Grow up and take responsibility for your own actions (or inactions in this case...)
Hello: I beleive you are missing the point here, bigd! No one is blaming the RCMP for the shotgun being stolen. As I stated before, it is my fault that I left it locked in the truck overnight. Stupid move, I know that. The point is that we should have a right to be able to leave things on our own property without it being stolen. According to your posts, you are stating we should have everything locked up. If we don't, we must be lazy and stupid for not doing so, right? Do I have to remind you that vehicules are being stolen and buildings are being broken into all the time.
Well bigd, this is one of the reasons we pay property taxes, it is a sum of money we pay each year to have property in a municipality. I beleive that also includes some of the wages for the RCMP to protect our property. No, I dont say that they have to sit and watch our house, if the criminals were caught and punished the first time they broke the law there would be less problems. As for the sign up sheets you mentioned above, we used to call that WANTED POSTERS. You also mentioned that we should ["GROW UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR OUR OWN ACTIONS"], you also know that we cannot do that, as much as we would like to. If we had that right, there would be no one willing to take a chance of coming onto our property to steal anything.
Yes, I can understand how frustrating it is for an officer to deal with this sort of thing, all the paper work and so on, but please don't point fingers at us, we are not the ones breaking the law. The criminals are still out there, while we are sitting here raving on our computers.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:10 AM

The OP in no way is responsible for the thief who stole his gun. The Justice Department is in no way responsible for the persons actions who stole the gun. The only person responsible for it is the person who stole it. Thats it,

In our society we have let things get to the point they have because we are passive in our dealings with issues that can cause controversy.
Bottom line is we need to start putting pressure on the Justice system to be more fair in dealing with criminals. Meaning you do the crime you do the time. This means you break rock with a hammer and chisel, or you clear brush in the high country using hand saws and ropes or any other real hard crappy labour with no end in sight. You get heat from your fuel that you get ie dig coal cut wood.

Blaming Police for the problems of society is like blaming your wife for getting raped. (Darn she sure was hot that night guess she should have looked uglier) Darn the Police should have arrested the guy befroe he did a crime because he looked suspecious.

The Police do not decide what happens with a person once they are arressted. They do the inital dirty work, then leave it in the hands of Lawyers and Judges. Then it gets left to the Corrections Department to deal with any convicted.

To the OP sorry to hear about your gun being stolen, hopefully it turns up sonner then later and before it is used in a crime.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:03 PM

Thanks ctd.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:12 PM

I'm sorry, I can't get over the fact that society has gone to the point where we accept crime as a way of life.
We routinely blame the victims for not taking better care to protect themselves, and yet, if we protect ourselves too harshly, then the good are prosecuted.

This thread is full of notes crucifying this guy for his truck being broken into.

I went moose hunting a while back up north of Valleyview. I probably stopped close to a dozen times at coffee shops, restaurants, and service stations. My gun and gear was all locked up in my truck. What else was I to do with my gun?

It seems a strong consensus of this thread would crucify me if while eating or whatever, my truck had been broken into and my guns stolen.

I was watching the news last night.
A young woman was drugged at a night spot. Then gang raped in the parking lot. The news crew was covering the patrons of the establishment.
Sure enough, it was her fault for not watching her drinks closer. Everyone knows it can happen

Sorry folks. I just can't get on the bandwagon of blaming the victim.

Illegal is illegal. Cops are suppose to catch 'em. Courts are suppose to rehabilitate and punish 'em. That isn't happening, and the victim is to blame.

Just doesn't seem right to me.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
Hello: I beleive you are missing the point here, bigd! No one is blaming the RCMP for the shotgun being stolen. As I stated before, it is my fault that I left it locked in the truck overnight. Stupid move, I know that. The point is that we should have a right to be able to leave things on our own property without it being stolen. According to your posts, you are stating we should have everything locked up. If we don't, we must be lazy and stupid for not doing so, right? Do I have to remind you that vehicules are being stolen and buildings are being broken into all the time.
Well bigd, this is one of the reasons we pay property taxes, it is a sum of money we pay each year to have property in a municipality. I beleive that also includes some of the wages for the RCMP to protect our property. No, I dont say that they have to sit and watch our house, if the criminals were caught and punished the first time they broke the law there would be less problems. As for the sign up sheets you mentioned above, we used to call that WANTED POSTERS. You also mentioned that we should ["GROW UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR OUR OWN ACTIONS"], you also know that we cannot do that, as much as we would like to. If we had that right, there would be no one willing to take a chance of coming onto our property to steal anything.
Yes, I can understand how frustrating it is for an officer to deal with this sort of thing, all the paper work and so on, but please don't point fingers at us, we are not the ones breaking the law. The criminals are still out there, while we are sitting here raving on our computers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
The OP in no way is responsible for the thief who stole his gun. The Justice Department is in no way responsible for the persons actions who stole the gun. The only person responsible for it is the person who stole it. Thats it,

In our society we have let things get to the point they have because we are passive in our dealings with issues that can cause controversy.
Bottom line is we need to start putting pressure on the Justice system to be more fair in dealing with criminals. Meaning you do the crime you do the time. This means you break rock with a hammer and chisel, or you clear brush in the high country using hand saws and ropes or any other real hard crappy labour with no end in sight. You get heat from your fuel that you get ie dig coal cut wood.

Blaming Police for the problems of society is like blaming your wife for getting raped. (Darn she sure was hot that night guess she should have looked uglier) Darn the Police should have arrested the guy befroe he did a crime because he looked suspecious.

The Police do not decide what happens with a person once they are arressted. They do the inital dirty work, then leave it in the hands of Lawyers and Judges. Then it gets left to the Corrections Department to deal with any convicted.

To the OP sorry to hear about your gun being stolen, hopefully it turns up sonner then later and before it is used in a crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoldan43 View Post
I'm sorry, I can't get over the fact that society has gone to the point where we accept crime as a way of life.
We routinely blame the victims for not taking better care to protect themselves, and yet, if we protect ourselves too harshly, then the good are prosecuted.

This thread is full of notes crucifying this guy for his truck being broken into.

I went moose hunting a while back up north of Valleyview. I probably stopped close to a dozen times at coffee shops, restaurants, and service stations. My gun and gear was all locked up in my truck. What else was I to do with my gun?

It seems a strong consensus of this thread would crucify me if while eating or whatever, my truck had been broken into and my guns stolen.

I was watching the news last night.
A young woman was drugged at a night spot. Then gang raped in the parking lot. The news crew was covering the patrons of the establishment.
Sure enough, it was her fault for not watching her drinks closer. Everyone knows it can happen

Sorry folks. I just can't get on the bandwagon of blaming the victim.

Illegal is illegal. Cops are suppose to catch 'em. Courts are suppose to rehabilitate and punish 'em. That isn't happening, and the victim is to blame.

Just doesn't seem right to me.
Finally, some bright light in the inky blackness!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:39 AM

X2 zabbo
Old 10-15-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
http://www.rcmpwatch.com/56-mounties...t-in-one-year/

And that doesn't include the 4 that should be tried for murder in Vancouver.

How about the 12 RCMP officers sent home from the Olympics. http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Fif...974/story.html

I have my research. Where is yours to say that its lower than other professions?

**Edit to add**
Found more interesting stats from the RCMP site its self. In 2008.

So over 4500 complaints against RCMP officers in Canada. http://www.cpc-cpp.gc.ca/prr/rep/sir...r-eb3-eng.aspx

Bravo Donkey
Old 10-15-2010, 09:36 AM

Question for the police officer or anyone who may know this answer.
Is it illegal ....or how illegal would it be if you have a vehilce parked on your private property and you hooked up 120volts to the handle?
Maybe we could regulate that or put a quick surge protector on just so they don't fry to death but they have a really sore arm for the next day or too!!

We have so low life losers running around our neiborhood out in stony plain For the most part I think they are punk ass teens but they are breaking signs and vandalizing random things and stealing stuff my boat got broke into while having a sleep over during the summer stole my $1500 deoth sounder/gps. Just last week while I was out of town the little lady must have left her car door unlocked and it got rummaged through cops said it happend quite a bit that night.

I don't want this to seem like a internet superhero but what would you do if you caught someone breaking into your car?
I think if I could catch them I would pray they were older cause I would want to beat the pizz out of them no cops even though me neighbor is one.....because no offence or disrespect to the police but they are useless .....(in this respect) based on what they can do these people will be out on the streets again in less than 24 hours....I support police brutality ....if I knew the cops would show up and taser the person id call them but now I would probably break bones!!
Old 10-15-2010, 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=Much lower than most, if not all, other lines of employment. [/QUOTE]

I admit I havn't done the research but I find this statment to be ridiculous, and I have a very hard time beleiving it.

I can't think of one single profession where its members show up in the news so much as to be considered a profession prone to breaking the law. Unless of course you consider a line of work like robbery etc. etc. to be a profession.