Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-08-2010, 09:53 PM

Default who shoots a 28 gauge?

I know there are quite a few members here that shoot a 20 , but is anybody else besides myself that shoots a 28 gauge regularly?
A fella showed up at the range the other day with a really nice K80 with its 28 barrels on, but it's the first time I've seen him shoot them - he normally shoots the 20 gauge barrels. We had a great time shooting trap and skeet with our 28's beside the big guns!
other than him, I'm about the only guy at the club who shoots a 28 or a 410.
Anybody else out there shoot them for birds or clays?
Cat
Old 06-08-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I know there are quite a few members here that shoot a 20 , but is anybody else besides myself that shoots a 28 gauge regularly?
A fella showed up at the range the other day with a really nice K80 with its 28 barrels on, but it's the first time I've seen him shoot them - he normally shoots the 20 gauge barrels. We had a great time shooting trap and skeet with our 28's beside the big guns!
other than him, I'm about the only guy at the club who shoots a 28 or a 410.
Anybody else out there shoot them for birds or clays?
Cat
No 28 Gauge,dad and I bring that up sometimes.We got the 410\20\16\&12 but not the 28 gauge shotgun.

Why do you like the 28 gauge for hunting,because it's lighter\or it does'nt blow the birds apart like a 12 gauge? I have been giving the 28 some thought lately.

I was thinking of getting a 28Gauge in a caesar Guerini o\u Magnus.I'm stuck between that and the silver pigeon v.however the pigeon does'nt fit me at all.the pigeonv and the Magnus are exactley the same price and with the guerini you get fancy wood\sideplates and it had a prince of whales stock,which feels good when I grip the shotgun.

Do you have any opinions\experiences on the guerini's?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 AM

Default 28 ga

I've hunted grouse for 35 years with 12 and 20 ga pumps. I've always wanted a nice, light gun for hunting grouse so last December I took advantage of a sale at Wholesale Sports and I bought a Stevens Gold Wing O/U in 28 ga. I haven't hunted with it yet but I love the feel and heft of this gun. I think it is a perfect firearm and gauge for grouse - I'm sure there are better quality O/U shotguns but I can't afford them. This was under $700.

Cheap or target ammo only has 3/4 oz of shot (the largest you can get is number 6 and the cartridges are all 2 3/4 in.) same as a lot of inexpensive 20 ga but if you get the more expensive short magnums you're throwing a full ounce of shot, while a lot of inexpensive 20 ga loads have 3/4 oz. In other words, not as much shot as a 12 but roughly equivalent to a 20. Pay attention to how much shot the cartridges contain when you buy them. And I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but the shot goes just as fast out of the muzzle of a 28 as it does out of a 12. (Stand by now for all the guys who will tell you how to load your own ammo better and cheaper than the factory products.)

So in my opinion the 28 ga is a perfect choice for grouse because the cartridge is potent and the firearms are lighter. It's what I'm packing into the grouse coverts from now on.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:23 AM

Default 28 fan

I regularly use my little browning 525 28gu for both sporting clays and field. It really helps to keep me on my game with the big bore, and come pheasant season, what a dream to pack in the field! I can hit everything the bigger guns can, just a little finer shot stream.
My little pet was special ordered in for me by Pud at Bashaw sports.It is in a rare sporting clays edition and I am tempted to store it away in the box (wich i kept), but I'm just having too much fun shooting it. The down side to the 28, is the new price in trap loads. Initially I was able to find them by the case at 10.00/box, this year it seems they are up to 15.00.
If any of you fellow 28 fans can give me a tip to cheaper loads, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Why do you like the 28 gauge for hunting,because it's lighter\or it does'nt blow the birds apart like a 12 gauge? I have been giving the 28 some thought lately.

I was thinking of getting a 28Gauge in a caesar Guerini o\u Magnus.I'm stuck between that and the silver pigeon v.however the pigeon does'nt fit me at all.the pigeonv and the Magnus are exactley the same price and with the guerini you get fancy wood\sideplates and it had a prince of whales stock,which feels good when I grip the shotgun.

Do you have any opinions\experiences on the guerini's?
Do yourself a favour and give Will a visit at
http://www.bilozir.net/

his number is (403)938 6066
tell him the cat sent you over because you were looking at a CG!
he has a GORGEOUS 28 FAIR right now ( unless it is gone)
check it out!

I have owned several CG's and they were good guns, but the FAIR is a better deal, and if you want to custom order a fitted stock it's only $100 more.
I shoot a 28 for several reasons, the big one being the mass of the gun.

The loads can be tuned for anything you want, but for partridge I use a standard 3/4 oz skeet load with nickel plated shot going about 1,200.

I bought a few flats from Pud this year and the factory stuff worked well, and I also bought two flats of Kent for $145 from P&D.
I save every hull I can , and handload on a progressive for myself and my son. I shoot 'em bu the bucket full ( literally!) so shooting factory ammo is not an option, but handloads can be made for cheap as long as you buy your powder and wads in bulk lots.

Oldgutpile, do you hand load for hulls?
You can cut the cost way down if you do.
If not, can I have your empties?
Danj, I tested a Stevens last year with the intent of evaluating it, then selling it - it never made it off the skeet range before it was sold!
Nice , inexpensive little gun.
I only put 150 rounds through it, mind you - I usually shoot about 200 to 500
clays a week these days through my guns.
BTW, my CZ Bobwhite that killed anything that flew in front of it last year is up for sale , check out the EE! (Buying a Spanish SXS)
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 06-09-2010 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:07 AM

Default 28 gauge

All i have been shooting this year is the 28 gauge. I bought a Browning Cynergy Feather from clay over the winter and i have not been able to put it down. I have been averaging high teens and creeping into the low 20's with it.

The only way to get the cost of the ammo down is to reload. When you buy in bulk i am just over $3.00/box. I have an extra press (mec 9000) i want to part with if someone is interested in getting going. Like mentioned you have to be buying the primers, lead, powder, and wads in volume to really feel the savings.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:36 AM

The FAIR shotguns are always a great option,maybe I will take a closer look at buying a FAIR instead of a CG.Will only lives 10 minuits east of my parents house,so going there to look at the gun's or get Fitted for one is very conveinent for me.If I do go with the Fair it will be the Jubilee Taraguta Gold.prince of whales stock. ahh decisions,decesions.cat you are right about FAIR being a better deal than a CG.I'm sure the FAIR and CG guns are more than equal in quility.another thing I like about the FAIR is that alot of there shotguns have wooden recoil pads,I like that Trait.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:12 PM

I just have an old single shot 28g that i use on grouse. I prefer it to the 410. Nice little gun
Old 06-09-2010, 05:02 PM

I own a perazzi with 28ga barrels for it. I shoot sporting clays with it mostly
Old 06-09-2010, 05:15 PM

Old 06-09-2010, 05:23 PM

Default 28 gauge

I have a Rem 870 express in a 28ga and one in 410ga mostly used for grouse.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem man 700 View Post
I heard you the First Time A Perazzi WoW those are Really High end Shotguns,very Nice indeed!!!!