Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:56 PM

Default Weatherby advantage?

As we all know Weatherby cartridges for the most part will give you 200 +/- feet per second more depending on caliber. My question is this a big advantage? And second what other advantages would a Weatherby have?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:57 PM

they are so bulky they make great canoe paddles
Old 05-05-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
You find them bulky? Would the weight be a good thing?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
At 5 3/4 pounds for a Mark V, Ultralightweight I wonder what is considered Not Bulky ?

The Truth... Everything you could kill with a .300 Weatherby, you could kill with a .308 Winchester...

Everything you could kill with a $1,600 Mark V., you could drop with a $500 Remington Model 710 package...

Can what your shooting at with a Weatherby tell the difference with a well placed shot ? Probably not...

But the man holding the rifle can tell the difference...
Old 05-05-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The cooter View Post
You find them bulky? Would the weight be a good thing?
Truly i have nothing against Weatherby cartridges.They are just not my thing is all.I would definately never buy one of their rifles however.I find them bulky, I don't like the stocks or the actions and they are just plain ugly....to me. Others, as we know, love them . Shoot what you like and like what you shoot.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Truly i have nothing against Weatherby cartridges.They are just not my thing is all.I would definately never buy one of their rifles however.I find them bulky, I don't like the stocks or the actions and they are just plain ugly....to me. Others, as we know, love them . Shoot what you like and like what you shoot.
Too bulky? You built like a 10 year old girl?
Old 05-05-2010, 01:19 AM

If you know many 195 lbs, 6 ' tall 10 year old girls then yes i suppose. Doesn't change the fact that i dislike Weatherby rifles, the way they look and the way they handle. You like them , good for you, I could care less if you like ugly rifles....
Old 05-05-2010, 02:05 AM

I've had 3 guns chambered to, 300 and 270 Weatherby. None of them were on a Weatherby action or rifle. Because of that , the throats were not free bored . I doubt much if there was 100fps difference from a 300 win ,mag and 2 of them had 24"pipes instead of 26". But I shot more game with my first 300 than all my other guns put together. It is a very effective cartridge. But unless you reload , expensive to shoot
Old 05-05-2010, 02:15 AM

I could care less if you like ugly rifles....[/QUOTE]

MMMMM.... not real sure there ugly? But everyone has there opinion. Anyone have anything on ballistics? Advantages? Is there a real advantage to 200 feet per second.Would it tighten up the groups? Buy how much? Gatorr could you answer. Do you reload? Can you give some insight? I have looked at a Weatherby fit and finish wise it's as good as my Tikka or some sako's I"ve seen. Leo can you give some insight?

Last edited by The cooter; 05-05-2010 at 02:24 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:23 AM

Here is the advantage Cooter if we see a 200 inch muley out in a field and we shoot at the same time my bullet that is 200+- faster kills the deer first. you would be taking the pictures of me and the deer. Haha just kidding it sounds good though eh Cooter
Old 05-05-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfy View Post
Here is the advantage Cooter if we see a 200 inch muley out in a field and we shoot at the same time my bullet that is 200+- faster kills the deer first. you would be taking the pictures of me and the deer. Haha just kidding it sounds good though eh Cooter
Crawfy that would depend on reaction time! Could your bullet catch mine if I got the draw on it. HAHA.LOL.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The cooter View Post
As we all know Weatherby cartridges for the most part will give you 200 +/- feet per second more depending on caliber. My question is this a big advantage? And second what other advantages would a Weatherby have?
Didn't you bring this same subject up on another thread? I believe that it was only one month ago that you were slamming the Weatherby rifles and cartridges. It seems to me that you are trolling. Becareful what you troll for, you may catch something that will bite you. My son and I are big Weatherby Mark V fans and users along with hundreds of thousands of other hunters in the world, but I will admit that the Vanguard is a less desirable rifle. I would classify it in the JUNK rifle section.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:23 AM

[ but I will admit that the Vanguard is a less desirable rifle. I would classify it in the JUNK rifle section.[/QUOTE]

Don't think I would call them junk. I have two (22-250 and 270 Wby Mag), both are 20 yrs old, shoot lights out and are absolutely gorgeous. Not sure how anyone can look at a Weatherby on Wood and call it ugly???
Old 05-05-2010, 05:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dettah Wolf View Post
[ but I will admit that the Vanguard is a less desirable rifle. I would classify it in the JUNK rifle section.
Don't think I would call them junk. I have two (22-250 and 270 Wby Mag), both are 20 yrs old, shoot lights out and are absolutely gorgeous. Not sure how anyone can look at a Weatherby on Wood and call it ugly???[/QUOTE]

There is a MAJOR difference in the quality between the Mark V and the Vanguard. Although I love the Weatherby Mark V's I have to be honest and call a spade a spade, and that is, the Vanguards are of poor quality. There is more to a firearm than it's exterior appearance. Quality of material, fit and finish, balance, smooth action, crisp trigger, and accuracy are the major traits of a good quality firearm. The Vangard dosen't meet those qualities compared to the Mark V.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:52 AM

Any advantages that Weatherby's have, they have in freebored rifles with 26" barrels. They are a beautiful , well constructed fire arm and (sigh) if they fit me better I would likely own a few . But put them in a 24" pipe or non free bored configuration , and the advandage dwindles , fast. I have a 300 WSM on a Sako, and do not feel under gunned for the game or distances that I shoot at. If I owned a 300 mag of any sort I wouldn't rush out to buy a 300 Weatherby (maybe a 300-378).
Old 05-05-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
I have looked at a Weatherby fit and finish wise it's as good as my Tikka or some sako's I"ve seen.
I would certainly hope that the Weatherby Mark V has fit and finish equal to a Tikka costing half as much.

Quote:
My son and I are big Weatherby Mark V fans and users along with hundreds of thousands of other hunters in the world, but I will admit that the Vanguard is a less desirable rifle. I would classify it in the JUNK rifle section.
I have personally owned two Mark V rifles,and two Howa made rifles equivalent to the Vanguard.The Mark V rifles had a better trigger,but the Howas were more accurate.Even if a person replaced the trigger on the Howa rifles,the total investment would still be far below that of a Mark V.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:07 AM

The real question is why are you guys up so stinking early As for the Weatherby it's all about your priorities, me I have a torn up shoulder so the biggest thing I shoot is a 7mm Rem Mag
Old 05-05-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I would certainly hope that the Weatherby Mark V has fit and finish equal to a Tikka costing half as much.

I have personally owned two Mark V rifles,and two Howa made rifles equivalent to the Vanguard.The Mark V rifles had a better trigger,but the Howas were more accurate.Even if a person replaced the trigger on the Howa rifles,the total investment would still be far below that of a Mark V.
Are you counting your 460 in the two, or only two that you shot?

Every now and then I remember that rifle, never heard one shoot , but I don't think I'd want to with that brake on there!
I don't know of bob every shot it either.....
Cat
Old 05-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

How accurate are your vanguards? I just returned from the range on Sunday and shot the 300 Wby, 240 Wby and 280 AI in a Cooper. Both Weatherbys shot under 3/4 inch group, the Cooper was a much different story, .275 inch group. The Weatherby's shoot alot better than I do, and on other occasions when I'm in the zone, I've shot sub 1/2. These are not target firearms, they were ment for hunting. However, this is only one good trait of many, for a good quality firearm. If the Vangard is still below the the price of the Mark V after a trigger replacement, you still have a Vanguard.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:32 AM

Lot of guys have Vanguard's and they will tell you that they are very accurate, some even morso then some of the Mark V's.No kidding the Vanguard doesn't compare to the Mark V, It wasn't made to compete with one.Only a grand difrence in price
Old 05-05-2010, 07:38 AM

I love the Weatherby Lasermarks, they go perfectly with a 70's powder blue polyester suit, Foster Grant sunglasses, Elvis sideburns, big poofy afro and shiny two toned 3" elevator shoes
Old 05-05-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post
Didn't you bring this same subject up on another thread? I believe that it was only one month ago that you were slamming the Weatherby rifles and cartridges. It seems to me that you are trolling. Becareful what you troll for, you may catch something that will bite you. My son and I are big Weatherby Mark V fans and users along with hundreds of thousands of other hunters in the world, but I will admit that the Vanguard is a less desirable rifle. I would classify it in the JUNK rifle section.
Funny coming from a guy who along with his offspring "slam" a certain bullet every chance they get. Even though "hundreds of thousands" of actual users disagree with their hair brained assessment.

Pot, kettle, black?

-Billy Molls
Old 05-05-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I love the Weatherby Lasermarks, they go perfectly with my 70's powder blue polyester suit, Foster Grant sunglasses, Elvis sideburns, big poofy afro and shiny two toned 3" heeled shoes
That's funny.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-05-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger15 View Post
Lot of guys have Vanguard's and they will tell you that they are very accurate, some even morso then some of the Mark V's.No kidding the Vanguard doesn't compare to the Mark V, It wasn't made to compete with one.Only a grand difrence in price
If someone was offering both I'd beg for the Vanguard.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I love the Weatherby Lasermarks, they go perfectly with a 70's powder blue polyester suit, Foster Grant sunglasses, Elvis sideburns, big poofy afro and shiny two toned 3" elevator shoes
You forgot to add in the multiple 170 plus whitetail bucks! About 12 of them!
Old 05-05-2010, 08:39 AM

I'm not saying that a Vanguard is anywhere near the quality that a Mark V is, however, the 2 Vanguards I have shoot very well, they perform flawlessly at -40 temps and are beautiful firearms to look at.

The action on my Mark V's are better, no doubt. But then they should be. For the difference in money though, the Vanguards that I have, don't even come close to the "JUNK" classification.

Admittedly, I dont shoot the 500 yd+ shots that many here do. I get as close to my quarry as possible and take very few shots over 300 yds. But when I squeeze the trigger, with either a Vanguard or Mark V, the quarry falls down. None of my Weatherby's have ever failed me.

Guess maybe that's the difference between a hunter who likes to shoot, and a shooter who likes to hunt.

Just saying........Vanguards are not "JUNK". Remington 710's are junk. Big Difference!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:43 AM

I think when Cooter gets bored he starts a thread talking about weatherby.It's always good for some good reading.I think we all know it's just a matter of time before he get's one.Don't fight it Cooter join, the Weatherby Nation.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Funny coming from a guy who along with his offspring "slam" a certain bullet every chance they get. Even though "hundreds of thousands" of actual users disagree with their hair brained assessment.

Pot, kettle, black?
Dont you remember, whitetail junkie's father isnt on here.....are you on drugs?

*Sarcasm Off*

As for the "Weatherby Advantage", well if you consider more FPS as an advantage, then its your choice. There are several options out there that compete very closely with a lot of the magnums for performance and efficiency. Choosing one often comes down to rifle configuration and plain old personal preferences.

I'm not a huge 'magnum' fan, but if I was building a faster .30 cal I would probably look at the 300WM or possibly the 300WSM or SAUM. I've never been a huge Weatherby fan myself (personal preference).

One fast cartridge thats hard not to like (although horribly expensive brass) is the 7mm Tomahawk by Lazzeroni. I shot a couple does last year and watched a friend shoot a huge bodied mule buck with his last year (lightweight custom Rem 700) and it was a very fun cartridge. I think he's getting 3400fps with 140 Accubonds.

Last edited by Rackmastr; 05-05-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

Pot, kettle, black?
Yes Chuck, blood is thicker than whisky. You go hunt with your drinking buddies or alone, and I will hunt with my son. Go ahead and use your Barnes bullets,and you proved right that holes kill, "lots of holes" when using Barnes bullets. Here is another hole, you, an @zzhole.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Dont you remember, whitetail junkie's father isnt on here.....are you on drugs?

*Sarcasm Off*

As for the "Weatherby Advantage", well if you consider more FPS as an advantage, then its your choice. There are several options out there that compete very closely with a lot of the magnums for performance and efficiency. Choosing one often comes down to rifle configuration and plain old personal preferences.

I'm not a huge 'magnum' fan, but if I was building a faster .30 cal I would probably look at the 300WM or possibly the 300WSM or SAUM. I've never been a huge Weatherby fan myself (personal preference).

One fast cartridge thats hard not to like (although horribly expensive brass) is the 7mm Tomahawk by Lazzeroni. I shot a couple does last year and watched a friend shoot a huge bodied mule buck with his last year (lightweight custom Rem 700) and it was a very fun cartridge. I think he's getting 3400fps with 140 Accubonds.
should'nt you be protecting Canada's border Right now.hope your not at work surfing the net wasteing my tax dollars when you should be watching out for bin laddin???