Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-08-2010, 11:54 PM

Default feb 28-march 2

Looking to take my son ice fishing somewhere during this time. I was looking at renting a hut on slave , but at $200 per night, I think I'll pass. Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions. I would like to get away for a few days instead of doing day trips.

Mark
Old 01-09-2010, 01:24 PM

ya good choice not to rent those on slave, some friends and i did that with alberta adventures or something like that and the shacks were dirty heat didnt work in some and previous ppl threw there garbage down the holes so that was fun to look at all trip.......

if you want to take your boys on a weekend trip go a little further to snipe lake and stay in the hotel's in town. Fishing is good and hotels are cheap...

hope that helps
Old 01-09-2010, 02:38 PM

I would think a lot might have to do with what kind of fish you want to fish for, do you want to keep some, how far do you want to travel, etc.
NW of Edm. you could fish Carson, Pegasus in the AM, head for Fox Creek and fish Smoke, Iosegun, Meekwap, Raspberry, or Crooked, and stay in Town for the night. I think the costs on Hotels/Motels there are from around $50 and up right now. You could then drive up to Valleyview area and fish Snipe, and or, Sturgeon. Or, head up that way the previous night and stay in Valleyview.
You can do the same towards the Northeast, with a lot of lakes, and go as far as Bonnyville, and do the same.
A lot depends on what you are driving, and how you want to get on to the lake as well.
South, there are a lot of lakes, and places to stay. Just read more on here, and pick and choose.. You should get a lot of help.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:00 PM

Would just like to keep him busy for a few days of fishing. We like to catch pike and burbot but most anything will do. Mostly catch and release, with the occassional for the skillet. I would fish for perch but seems like a lost cause to me
Old 01-10-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie55 View Post
I would think a lot might have to do with what kind of fish you want to fish for, do you want to keep some, how far do you want to travel, etc.
NW of Edm. you could fish Carson, Pegasus in the AM, head for Fox Creek and fish Smoke, Iosegun, Meekwap, Raspberry, or Crooked, and stay in Town for the night. I think the costs on Hotels/Motels there are from around $50 and up right now. You could then drive up to Valleyview area and fish Snipe, and or, Sturgeon. Or, head up that way the previous night and stay in Valleyview.
You can do the same towards the Northeast, with a lot of lakes, and go as far as Bonnyville, and do the same.
A lot depends on what you are driving, and how you want to get on to the lake as well.
South, there are a lot of lakes, and places to stay. Just read more on here, and pick and choose.. You should get a lot of help.

Carson yes great fishing for rainbow trout...caught 200+ in 4 hours this weekend...great fishing kept anything over 4 pounds...and maxed out no problem.. with 2 6 pounders

but smoke lake 1 f@#king fish all afternoon and it wasnt even legal size...slimmy bugger
and the same at iosgen pretty dead even ask the fox vegas locals and they said the same...
Old 01-11-2010, 06:47 AM

I would give Sylvan a good look. There are nice places to stay there, and you aren't far from Gull or Pine if things at Sylvan aren't great. There are quite a few guys fishing there, so I don't know if that's your kettle of fish or not.

That time of year is usually excellent there for burbot, whitefish, and the odd pike too.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFisher View Post
Carson yes great fishing for rainbow trout...caught 200+ in 4 hours this weekend...great fishing kept anything over 4 pounds...and maxed out no problem.. with 2 6 pounders

but smoke lake 1 f@#king fish all afternoon and it wasnt even legal size...slimmy bugger
and the same at iosgen pretty dead even ask the fox vegas locals and they said the same...
All the lakes around fox creek have been slow. I'm heading to slave.