Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Non-Tox Shot

I must admit that I am pretty "Scottish" and have a hard time giving up a buck. I have been buying the cheepest steel shot I can find. But I sure see an increase in wounding birds and having to reshoot birds and chase them accross the stubble.

What is everybody using for shot these days? That kills most effectively and doesn't cost an arm&leg?

Robin in Rocky; looking 4word to waterfowling
Old 08-12-2007, 08:53 AM

I thought everybody in AB was rich? Seems like there's been a plethora of posting lately from guys who are trying to figure out a way of doing their thing as cheaply as possible. Cheap isn't necessarily 'good', but if you have to do it that way, I suggest Winchester Xpert shotshells. Those have been the cheapest I have seen here anyways. Not sure what the bigger stores like wholesale and russels have. If you plan ahead and stockpile after the season ends, Walmart usually has these for $7-8 box. What size shot are you using? What gun/choke are you shooting?

Generally, you will see your most decisive kills happen on ducks with #2, 3 and 4 shot, and for geese #2 and #1 and BB. Avoid quartering away or straight away shots. Forget about the body of the bird and concentrate on the head and neck when you swing though.

Last edited by ABDUKNUT; 08-12-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:41 AM
sheephunter

One good rule with steel Duffy is to go up at least one shot size and preferably two from what you used to shoot with lead. There is little question that alternatives like tungsten hit harder and in my opinion result in quicker/cleaner kills at ranges you are used to shooting with lead but it is expensive. I do carry some for some of those birds that aren't willing to committ but steel does see the majority of use from me. If I could afford it, I'd shoot something like tungsten all the time but I can't so I make steel work for me.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:58 AM

sheep you shouldnt need to shoot many shells if you dont miss. Box of 10 tungsten gets me 10 geese so no biggy in price LOL
Ive had good luck with the 3" bb kent fasteel shells.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:20 AM

The tungsten stuff is amazing....half of me wonders if I just shoot a lot better and more carefully with really expensive shells? haha....they do knock the birds down....

I've used all sorts of stuff, the cheap stuff, the good stuff....it all kills birds but I found the one that patterns the best in my gun. The Kent doesnt let me down usually. I've used some Winchester Drylok too and they work well and both are pretty well priced....
Old 08-12-2007, 11:28 AM

With steel shot speed kills so I always use the fastest steel loads that are available and like Sheephunter says go up one size from lead. I have been using Kent faststeel but I just patterened some Winchester Experts and my gun seems to like them and they are less expensive than Kent.

The only time that I will use promo steel shells is to finish off a cripple.

I do like TM and Bismuth but the prices have jumped too high for me but I would like to try some Hevi-Steel that should be available in Alberta for this fall.

Richard
Old 08-12-2007, 12:54 PM

Winchester Hi-Velocity #2 for duck and geese over decoys BB when pass shooting.

I am going to try out that Remington Wingmaster HD this year.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:38 PM

Default shells

Winchester Expert High Velocity (1550 fps). It's cheap, cheap, cheap, and it kills as good as any steel out there. 3" BB for geese, 3" 2s for ducks.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:06 AM

Duffy hit the pattern board.
You may have to try a few diffrent loads from diffrent companies to find one that patterns well in your shotgun.
Without finding a decent patternable load you are pretty much going to keep wounding birds.
And what patterns well in my shotty might just pattern like crap in yours.
Time spent and effort exurted my friend.
Sorry bout the ambiguious answer, but thems the facts.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-13-2007, 11:13 PM

Default non toxic shot

Looked at Hevi shot via Ballistic products in US. If I read that correctly $129.00 Us for 7 lbs ??. I paid 23.00 last year for factory Hevi shot and now its that much for shot alone if my figuring was correct. Is there an alternative other than taking the season off and then quit hunting geese !!!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:02 PM

Here's my two cents on the subject.

-If the birds are allowed to get in to the 30 yard range steel shot works well.

-If you don't do a lot of bird hunting. Eg: The once a year goose shoot. Spending the money on the more expensive shot might not be a bad investment. If you drive a normally size truck any distance your probably going to burn 75-100 dollars in gas.

-If your into pass shooting it gets you back out to 40 yards.

Ed S.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:28 PM
jrs

Winchester hi-velocity shells work great. I was using these really cheap ones (can't even remember brand but they may have been an older steel winchester line) the beggining of last season then switched when a friend said they were the next best thing to lead. Worked excellent. I was shooting size 4 shot for ducks and had very few follow ups or extended chases through the marsh. They became hard to find as duck season progressed though, i will be stocking up a bit more this year in early September.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:56 PM

Winchester Expert hi-velocity BB in 3-1/2". Had to play with chokes in my 835 to figure out the best pattern at 40 yds but its all figured out now. Geese fall out of the sky stone dead if I do my part. Now I read Federal is making a new shotshell , Black Cloud. Sounds cool, wonder if any retailers will be carrying it this fall. Always up for a foolish reason to shoot my ulti-mag at a pattern board.

ruger300
Old 08-17-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Black cloud

P&D did bring in a small amount of this ammo but its a buck per shot or $25.00 per box. Very interesting shaped pellet design. FS
Old 08-18-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Speaking of P&D

With all the rumors of steel shot prices going up, I loaded up on cases of shells from there. You'll save $2 a box or more until they are out of their old stock. I bought some Kent 1560 fps BBs and 3's ($130-$140 per case. not sure why, but some came up at $140 as marked, and some came up as $130)and a case of the Winchester 1550 fps 2's .I like the Kents better, but the Winchester 2's were only $112 per case. I don't touch the lower speed stuff. I like to stick around 1550 fps. I think 4 cases will do me for a while.

Wholsale was $15.99 per box for the steel, but you can buy Federal #8 lead (for clays) for $45 per case. That was the cheapest I found for the cheapie lead stuff.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:15 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
P&D did bring in a small amount of this ammo but its a buck per shot or $25.00 per box. Very interesting shaped pellet design. FS
It is an interesting concept for sure and if it does what the hype says, it could be a very inexpensive alternative to other non-tox options that typically provide a bit more effective range. A buck a shot is pretty cheap compared to tungsten and such but I guess the proof will be in the pudding...or the dead ducks and geese in this case. I'll give it a try for sure.