Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-23-2024, 11:43 AM

Default CDS dials from leupold

Is it a fair statement, to say i dont need to order a CDS dial that cones free, but can use a ballistics calculator, and make myself a dope sheet, and just use the factory elevation turret for MOA , and i will be more accurate than i would be sending in info for a lazer cut dial. I was playing with a MOA calculator and was ringing 6 inch gongs out to 450 with my 270win Weatherby Vanguard Submoa. The scope is a VX3i. 3.5x10-40 and has the windplex reticle, which i havent figured out yet what power i need to be on to use tic marks as 1 moa yet.
Old 09-23-2024, 12:22 PM

The cds turrets are accurate for the info used to create them. That means that any changes to environmental conditions can cause them to be off by unknown amounts. If you’re running a dope chart or better yet a live ballistics calculator on your device of choice it can account for those variables. If you want to have quick reference marks in the field you can always consult you chart and simply make the top of the turret with a sharpie to indicate each yardage and then wipe it off when no longer needed.
Old 09-23-2024, 12:23 PM

Can you memorize the required correction without having to look at a cheat sheet? If yes, then no advantage to a custom turret. If you have to look up a cheat sheet, a custom dial will save time.
Old 09-23-2024, 03:33 PM

CDS dial is fine if you dont change your load or put scope on another rifle.
I never see the average hunter ever touch his elevation dial .Most shots are less then 200 yds. Even at 300 depending on bullet a .270 only drops approx 5-6". Get steady , hold on hair. Of course there are always different scenarios's like antelope hunting or other ares where you know you may need a long shot. For target shooting a cheat sheet with your come ups in MOA is easy on the brain. Dial on elevation , hold wind. If your ringing small gong @ 450 I would say you know what your doing. JMO
Old 09-23-2024, 04:17 PM

I went with the leupold vx5 not for the dials but for the optics. I still had the turret engraved . However I sighted in how I would normally with is 3 inches high at 100 which puts me a little low at 300 . So 0- 300 aim and shoot . Any farther range I can use the dials.
Old 09-23-2024, 05:32 PM

For hunting purposes I like the laser cut dials but I seldom shoot past 400 yards.

I also zero my dials at 400 and the incremental errors at shorter distances don't amount to much.
Old 09-23-2024, 10:42 PM

Custom dial is quick, just don't change to another load. Also they are only as accurate as the information you send in as well (would not recommend cheep factory ammo).

At the point you have time to get an accurate distance, wind speed, and shooting angle (ect.). You likely have time to look up the ballistics (chart or computer). If you are just looking and estimating you don't need any adjustments while hunting.
Old 09-24-2024, 07:02 AM

I am a firm believer that many discussions about scopes , turrets, and shooting at distances get bogged down in minutia that is irrelevant to actual hunting distances unless a person is shooting past 700 yards.
Even then, it's not just a quick " dope dial and shoot" unless a person is an irresponsible slob hunter because animal movement, lighting, barometric conditions, etc all need to be taken into account and one cannot do that while insuring a first round kill shot .
The CDS dials, ranging reticle, MPR system, etc work very well for " normal" hunting distances , but once an animal gets ranged at longer than " normal " distance, the hunter had better have several things going for him.

A: the hunter absolutely needs to be competent at the particular distance to ensure a first round kill I have met very few that actually are compared to the ones that THINK they are!
B: the gear the hunter is using must be up to the task, and this includes doping equipment as well as the rig.
C: The hunter must be prepared to own the shot afterwards in case of a bad hit or tough recovery or no recovery.
I added the last one because time of flight. Animal movement, wrong animal hit, etc are all very possible variables .
I speak from experience With more than a few kills in the past over 800 yards, and no longer shoot at animals that far for several reasons.

A few years back I watched a very accomplished long range hunter and ELR shooter competitor make a shot at 410 yards on a deer.
He was using a 7mm Mag IIRC in a well tuned rifle, but his optics were the big one, not the cartridge.
He also did not use a Kestral or other electronics other than our range finders.
He took his time checked his dope chart, and made the shot. The deer didn't go anywhere but straight down.
At 410 yard there was no need to check stuff like barometric pressures, temps for the day, etc., but there certainly was a great need to know how to judge the wind, and be capable of making the shot at that distance .
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-24-2024 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2024, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I am a firm believer that many discussions about scopes , turrets, and shooting at distances get bogged down in minutia that is irrelevant to actual hunting distances unless a person is shooting past 700 yards.
Even then, it's not just a quick " dope dial and shoot" unless a person is an irresponsible slob hunter because animal movement, lighting, barometric conditions, etc all need to be taken into account and one cannot do that while insuring a first round kill shot .
The CDS dials, ranging reticle, MPR system, etc work very well for " normal" hunting distances , but once an animal gets ranged at longer than " normal " distance, the hunter had better have several things going for him.

A: the hunter absolutely needs to be competent at the particular distance to ensure a first round kill I have met very few that actually are compared to the ones that THINK they are!
B: the gear the hunter is using must be up to the task, and this includes doping equipment as well as the rig.
C: The hunter must be prepared to own the shot afterwards in case of a bad hit or tough recovery or no recovery.
I added the last one because time of flight. Animal movement, wrong animal hit, etc are all very possible variables .
I speak from experience With more than a few kills in the past over 800 yards, and no longer shoot at animals that far for several reasons.

A few years back I watched a very accomplished long range hunter and ELR shooter competitor make a shot at 410 yards on a deer.
He was using a 7mm Mag IIRC in a well tuned rifle, but his optics were the big one, not the cartridge.
He also did not use a Kestral or other electronics other than our range finders.
He took his time checked his dope chart, and made the shot. The deer didn't go anywhere but straight down.
At 410 yard there was no need to check stuff like barometric pressures, temps for the day, etc., but there certainly was a great need to know how to judge the wind, and be capable of making the shot at that distance .
Cat
Well said, there are more and more hunters trying to replace experience and skill, with gadgets and technology.
Old 09-24-2024, 09:40 AM

Default Make your own custom dial!

You can easily make your own dial as well if you want to dial and shoot.
The easiest method is to wrap some masking tape around your turret and mark the distances you want. Or you can go a little more "professional" with this:

https://turretlabels.com/builder/elevation#

Print it on some waterproof sticker paper and you are good to go once you have figured out your dope. If you change ammo or environmentals or are stretching the distance out there you can always still dial from your ballistic calculator.

Cheers
Old 09-24-2024, 09:56 AM

Short answer, yes.

I have several cds scopes that I never bothered to send in for a laser turret.

I confirm velocity with a chrony, make a dope chart with the zeiss app, then confirm impacts at ranges I want to hunt up too, then I screenshot the chart from the app.

I make those screen shots my lock screen on my phone for whatever rifle I happen to be using that day. Keep the phone in my bino harness and tap the screen if I need to see the chart.

Works good. All that prep work usually ensures I get shot opportunities inside of 200 yards lol
Old 09-24-2024, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
Short answer, yes.

I have several cds scopes that I never bothered to send in for a laser turret.

I confirm velocity with a chrony, make a dope chart with the zeiss app, then confirm impacts at ranges I want to hunt up too, then I screenshot the chart from the app.

I make those screen shots my lock screen on my phone for whatever rifle I happen to be using that day. Keep the phone in my bino harness and tap the screen if I need to see the chart.

Works good. All that prep work usually ensures I get shot opportunities inside of 200 yards lol

Know all about it.
The last mule deer I shot was an unmakeable shot at 600+ because of extreme winds ( more than 5 body lengths!) .Danged buck ended up making its way into the bottoms of the river break and I ended up shooting him at 11 yards! LOL
Cat
Old 09-24-2024, 12:18 PM

It's free why wouldn't you?
Old 09-24-2024, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
It's free why wouldn't you?
In my case, I am always messing with different bullets and powders , so a dedicated CDS dials on a scope would not fit my requirements.
Cat
Old 09-24-2024, 02:02 PM

I usually zero at 200 yards. Shoot a group at 3, 4,5 and 600 yards. Measure my drop in MOA for each distance. There is my drop chart. I have had several CDS dials and find them to be very accurate if the info to Korth is accurate. For CDS dials I usually chrono 10 shots in the temperature I expect to be hunting in and send the average to Korth with temp,bullet, b.c and altitude.

Then I decide to try a different powder or bullet and end up putting the MOA turret back on.
Old 09-25-2024, 05:29 AM

That's also what I did with 3 different rifles and scopes and all 3 are pretty accurate dials out to 600 anyway. I also don't switch any leads or powders etc. Once I find an accurate fast load with my barnes lrx I stick with it for everything.
Old 09-25-2024, 01:43 PM

Default Elevation

Had a good chat this morning with a member on the dials.

Im going to order a set for my scopes.

When sending info for elevation and temperatures, being here in Alberta, i may use any rifle, in any weather, and in many different locations. Lowest being 2090' highest being 3030'. Im guessing if i mainly hunt in 5 places mai ly, just add all the elevations and divide by 5 for an average, or just use the one i hunt the majority of the time?

As for temps
Well usually hunt temps for me can be 11deg to -20 or colder. So was thinking send in -10. For the crazy province.

What do u all set up your CDS info like?
Old 09-25-2024, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Had a good chat this morning with a member on the dials.

Im going to order a set for my scopes.

When sending info for elevation and temperatures, being here in Alberta, i may use any rifle, in any weather, and in many different locations. Lowest being 2090' highest being 3030'. Im guessing if i mainly hunt in 5 places mai ly, just add all the elevations and divide by 5 for an average, or just use the one i hunt the majority of the time?

As for temps
Well usually hunt temps for me can be 11deg to -20 or colder. So was thinking send in -10. For the crazy province.

What do u all set up your CDS info like?
I sent in my CDS turret last December so it's been a minute, but IIRC when your entering the info, they ask for an average elevation +/- 1 or 2000' as well as average temp +/- you hunt in. I've been bad and haven't even had a chance to shoot it yet. Plan to put the CDS turret on tomorrow and give it a whirl. I only use 1 hand load out of my 308 so I don't care about changing turrets etc... 44.5 gr of IMR4064, Remington 9-1/2 primers, 165gr accubond gave me a 3/8" group last time I shot. I don't need better than that for deer or elk.

In reality if you change around various loads, you could have several turrets made and then when you change loads just re-zero and drop the appropriate turret on.
Old 09-26-2024, 08:53 AM

Default Max Range

What is the max range that you will be using the CDS dial for? If you are hunting and it is inside of 500 yards the environmentals don't have a huge effect. Also consider the accuracy of the gun. Unless it is a half moa gun at all distances, plus or minus a click or two won't matter much.
Grab your ballistics calculator and plug in all the different weather conditions that you might hunt in and your maximum range and see what the change is in clicks. If the change isn't that much then just pick the average and you are good.

For example my max distance is around 300 meters. Using my 7mm08 and changing the temperature and pressure a fair bit I only see 0.5moa change at that distance. My rifle typically shows around 1moa accuracy so the moa shift from changing weather is smaller than what I can accurately shoot anyway.

Your 270 should be even less change. Flatter shooting.....

Cheers