Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-09-2024, 10:49 PM

I stopped putting in for the cow elk draw a couple years ago. The past 2 years you could buy a General Elk tag and purchase a supplemental tag in aWMU with undersubscribed cow elk for one of the 3 seasons.

I just bought my Hunting tags tonight and the guy said do you want 2 tags for undersubscribed cow elk season after I bought my General tag….i said what?? Surprised.

As far as farmers /ranchers getting the handouts, IMO if you choose to not let people hunt your land to get an elk, then you should not be entitled to the handouts/fencing/any compensation.
Old 08-10-2024, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Right. It'd be same landowners who belly up for one or more of these:
https://agriculture.canada.ca/en/programs

That multitude of subsidies never used to bother me when landowners tolerated hunters; who by and large damage nothing. It does bother me that the same landowners who are now all about keeping me off their land are the same who don't mind putting their hand in my pocket. Then there's the ones who are paid to allow access only to outfitter clients.....
Those are federal programs with nothing to do with hunting or wildlife damage. The province looks after elk hunting and wildlife damage
Old 09-23-2024, 07:07 AM

I was successful with an Antlerless Elk draw. When I purchased my tags yesterday , I rec'd two tags , for two Antlerless Elk.

Shocked, or what ? I've been hunting the same area every year since the early 80's and had no idea the area was overrun with Elk . Population was good,but certainly not excessive, but may well be in a couple of the smaller portions of the WMU.
Seen the same thing happen several years ago with bull Moose in another area when two tags were available for non-resident hunters. As expected, that plan worked. What next ?
Old 09-23-2024, 08:52 AM

Sorry, Just a bit confused with this thread .

Am i reading, if you buy a general bull tag you now get two cow tags with it?

or if your drawn for cow you get two more with it?

Last edited by sawyer01; 09-23-2024 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-23-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
I was successful with an Antlerless Elk draw. When I purchased my tags yesterday , I rec'd two tags , for two Antlerless Elk.

Shocked, or what ? I've been hunting the same area every year since the early 80's and had no idea the area was overrun with Elk . Population was good,but certainly not excessive, but may well be in a couple of the smaller portions of the WMU.
Seen the same thing happen several years ago with bull Moose in another area when two tags were available for non-resident hunters. As expected, that plan worked. What next ?

As suspected , the xtra tag was provided only to those that were successful on the regular Antlerless draw.. not an unsubscribed Tag. . This helps the situation a bit as it will limit the xtra tags to those few who were drawn. Not sure if this method applies to all other WMU's as there were no Unsubscibed tags available in past years in this one.
Old 09-23-2024, 10:23 AM

Default elk

Yes you can buy your General Bull Elk tag and Also 2 Unsubscribed antlerless elk tags in a number of Northern Alberta zones that farmers and ranchers are over run with elk. Some WMU's have 400 or more tags not purchased each year. That is why F&W want Elk Hunter Responders to thin out surplus elk herds.
Old 09-23-2024, 10:52 AM

2 tags in some zones is just cash grab . Most elk only come out at night once the season starts. Its great if you have private land . Which most of the pictures you see is on private farm land when guys are posing with there elk
Old 09-23-2024, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR-;4752303[B
]2 tags in some zones is just cash grab[/B] . Most elk only come out at night once the season starts. Its great if you have private land . Which most of the pictures you see is on private farm land when guys are posing with there elk
But you only pay for one tag?...
Old 09-23-2024, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
As suspected , the xtra tag was provided only to those that were successful on the regular Antlerless draw.. not an unsubscribed Tag. . This helps the situation a bit as it will limit the xtra tags to those few who were drawn. Not sure if this method applies to all other WMU's as there were no Unsubscibed tags available in past years in this one.
Nope, it applied to undersubscribed tags as well, but extra tags were only in certain WMUs. It is because there are a lot of elk they want removed but they have not been selling out on tags and getting low harvests.

In one zone for a single season they had over 800 undersubscribed tags available, others had 200-600 depending on area and season.
Old 09-23-2024, 08:37 PM

They better take it easy on the cows. Handing out 800-1200 antlerless tags per zone isnt conducive to great recruitment. Everywhere is getting busy and everyone and their dog are after them.
Old 09-23-2024, 11:54 PM

This is a good way to lean out the good hunters from the bad. Good hunters will kill 2 cows and bad hunters just hand over the money when they drive around !!!